• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

I hated the Saturn V for a long time. I thought it was stupid, wasteful, and not as cool as the shuttle. However, this was before I understood aerodynamics, gravity, and how tough it really is to get something into space.

It's now my favorite launch system which is why I'm all amped up for the SLS.

Hootie

Yeah the Block II SLS rockets will really be a sight to behold. I just wish we didnt have to wait until the 2030s to see it in action
LLShC.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah the Block II SLS rockets will really be a sight to behold. I just wish we didnt have to wait until the 2030s to see it in action
Conversely, that means if I'm not a hobo by then I should have built a life stable enough to have saved some money for a trip out there to see it with my own eyes.

Schrade

I hated the Saturn V for a long time. I thought it was stupid, wasteful, and not as cool as the shuttle. However, this was before I understood aerodynamics, gravity, and how tough it really is to get something into space.

The Saturn V was a work of art. It is a beautiful rocket. I remember making a model of it when I was a kid. I wish I still had that model. Sooo awesome.

Jezbollah

The Saturn V was a work of art. It is a beautiful rocket. I remember making a model of it when I was a kid. I wish I still had that model. Sooo awesome.

Airfix do a 1:144 scale Saturn V - My friend got me one for my Birthday last year - I still need to paint it and apply decals. It's cheap (£30). Treat yourself.

This has to be one of the best threads on the net, bow.
That globular cluster picture is astonishing and humbling.

Its the reason I signed up with Neogaf, and ironically i haven't made that many posts in here. Its pretty much the same as before, come look at gorgeous pics,great discussion on a great topic(Rinse&Repeat 60times a day).

Isn't it an incredible thing to ponder that even if we ever built a spaceship that could travel at the speed of light, which is an amazingly difficult thing to do, it would still take more than 4 years to even get to the nearest star?

That's the closest start in the universe to us, out of trillions, and it would take over 4 years to get there traveling at the speed of light.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That is one of the reasons why I think humanity would have to truly embrace the mortality of all things and a personal/existential attitude if we want to take on space travel. Even if we figured out how to maintain decently stable civilizations through space migration and use resources that we come across, it seems inevitable that keeping communication with earth as some sort of hub would become untenable with even modest distances in comparison to the size of the galaxy.

Then, considering the expansion of the universe, the notion of reaching a different galaxy is rather insane unless we figure out how to fold the fabric of space-time or something.

Ovid

Isn't it an incredible thing to ponder that even if we ever built a spaceship that could travel at the speed of light, which is an amazingly difficult thing to do, it would still take more than 4 years to even get to the nearest star?

That's the closest start in the universe to us, out of trillions, and it would take over 4 years to get there traveling at the speed of light.
Wormholes.

That is one of the reasons why I think humanity would have to truly embrace the mortality of all things and a personal/existential attitude if we want to take on space travel. Even if we figured out how to maintain decently stable civilizations through space migration and use resources that we come across, it seems inevitable that keeping communication with earth as some sort of hub would become untenable with even modest distances in comparison to the size of the galaxy.

Then, considering the expansion of the universe, the notion of reaching a different galaxy is rather insane unless we figure out how to fold the fabric of space-time or something.

The spice guild shall sort us out.

Yea our only hope would be trying to manipulate wormholes or something of that nature. Even to do that we would first have to embrace each other as 1 race, on 1 planet of hundreds of trillions. Once everyone understands and feels that in there spirit, maybe violence will stop and a more focused unified approach can begin. One that's beneficial to us as a whole.

Babalu.

Giant asteroid hits jupiter. Good on Jupiter for taking one for the solar team. Keep those planet killers away from Earth.

http://www.space.com/17534-jupiter-impact-explosion-amateur-astronomers.html

An apparent impact on Jupiter early Monday (Sept. 10) created a fireball on the planet so large and bright that amateur astronomers on Earth spotted the flash.

The surprising impact on Jupiter was first reported by amateur astronomer Dan Peterson of Racine, Wisc., who was observing the largest planet in our solar system when the event occurred, according to the website Spaceweather.com, which tracks space weather and night sky events.

"It was a bright flash that lasted only 1.5 – 2 seconds," Peterson told Spaceweather.com. Peterson used a Meade 12-inch LX200GPS telescope to observe the event, which occurred near the southern edge of Jupiter's northern equatorial belt of clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5-msU-YVb9E

Compared to Earth

oUHBr.jpg

what is 4 years if you are asleep the whole trip? and if we've managed to significantly prolong the human lifespan? even a century might be nothing to a future human. progress happens on all fronts, when we have the capacity to travel to the stars, surely our medical sciences have advanced drastically as well. theoretically there's basically no limit to a human lifespan. if we can be even considered "human" anymore when we finally travel to the stars.. we might be more machine than man.

Actually, lets say you travelled at 99.9% of the speed of light constantly from Earth to Alpha Centauri (~4.37Ly away), for the occupants it would only take about 11 weeks. If we could get to 99.99%, then it would only be about 24 days. Of course, the MUCH bigger problem is accelerating to 99.9+% the speed of light...

Setre

Surprised more people in this thread aren’t talking about the asteroid hitting Jupiter. I mean imagine if that thing hit Earth, we’d all be fucked six ways from Sunday. Jupiter on the other hand just shrugs that shit off like Godzilla does missiles. I wonder what kind of ramifications that’ll have for Jupiter though.

Hootie

Surprised more people in this thread aren’t talking about the asteroid hitting Jupiter. I mean imagine if that thing hit Earth, we’d all be fucked six ways from Sunday. Jupiter on the other hand just shrugs that shit off like Godzilla does missiles. I wonder what kind of ramifications that’ll have for Jupiter though.

Jupiter is our bro. It helps protect Earth from a lot of asteroids.

Atolm

Jupiter is our bro. It helps protect Earth from a lot of asteroids.

Yet over time Jupiter also redirects a lot of asteroids in the asteroid belt towards inwards orbits. It works both ways: it's a shield and also sometimes he conspires to kill us all.

gutshot

If you guys want a great laugh; check out this site:

http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/

+There are trees and agriculture on Mars, NASA is covering it up.
+The moon is actually of many dif. colors, and is being covered up.
+Alien bases on the moon.
+Giant statues on mars....and so on.

My work blocks that site for the following reason...

To protect your identity or the security of your computer Request has been denied.

Reason: one or more categories denied helper='WebBlocker' details='Religion'

Haha!

Takuya

Banned
Are there any actual photos of our Asteroid belt? I know we have tons of photos of NEOs, but what about the actual belt itself?

Log4Girlz

Are there any actual photos of our Asteroid belt? I know we have tons of photos of NEOs, but what about the actual belt itself?

The belt is a description of an area in space where asteroids are most common. They are tremendously far awary from each other, there is no "belt" to be seen. I mean, the earth and moon are practically touching one another compared to the distance between asteroids.

Woorloog

Banned
The belt is a description of an area in space where asteroids are most common. They are tremendously far awary from each other, there is no "belt" to be seen. I mean, the earth and moon are practically touching one another compared to the distance between asteroids.

Indeed. Fiction portays asteroid belts completly wrong.
Rings of Saturn are a bit like in fiction... expect they're only a couple of meters thick and consists rather small rocks and ice chunks.

Top Bottom