• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Melchiah

bbBTI.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I am deeply saddened by the passing of my good friend, and space exploration companion, Neil Armstrong today. As Neil, Mike Collins and I trained together for our historic Apollo 11 Mission, we understood the many technical challenges we faced, as well as the importance and profound implications of this historic journey. We will now always be connected as the crew of the Apollo 11 mission to the moon, yet for the many millions who witnessed that remarkable achievement for humankind, we were not alone.

Whenever I look at the moon I am reminded of that precious moment, over four decades ago, when Neil and I stood on the desolate, barren, yet beautiful, Sea of Tranquility, looking back at our brilliant blue planet Earth suspended in the darkness of space, I realized that even though we were farther away from earth than two humans had ever been, we were not alone. Virtually the entire world took that memorable journey with us. I know I am joined by many millions of others from around the world in mourning the passing of a true American hero and the best pilot I ever knew. My friend Neil took the small step but giant leap that changed the world and will forever be remembered as a historic moment in human history.

I had truly hoped that on July 20th, 2019, Neil, Mike and I would be standing together to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of our moon landing, as we also anticipated the continued expansion of humanity into space, that our small mission helped make possible. Regrettably, this is not to be. Neil will most certainly be there with us in spirit.

On behalf of the Aldrin family, we extend our deepest condolences to Carol and the entire Armstrong family. I will miss my friend Neil as I know our fellow citizens and people around world will miss this foremost aviation and space pioneer.

May he Rest in Peace, and may his vision for our human destiny in space be his legacy.

BUZZ ALDRIN

:(

"The discovery doesn't prove that life has developed elsewhere in the universe—but it implies that there is no reason it could not."

That headline is way too sensationalist to my taste.

Woorloog

Banned
"The discovery doesn't prove that life has developed elsewhere in the universe—but it implies that there is no reason it could not."

That headline is way too sensationalist to my taste.

Mere existence of life (we, anything on Earth) proves the possibility of life existing withing the universe.
Life exists, and considering the size of the universe, i'd say it is even probable there is other life as well. Now contacting that other life withing the lifetime of the universe... considerably smaller chances i reckon.

Besides, haven't organic compounds found before from space? So, why is it it special more such have been found? Reckon that it is sugar is just random occurence though and we got lucky to detect it.

This sugar discovery is awesome. I know we always say that life, if there is any, shouldn't look like us. But now what do we think as we find sugar being produced an unfathomable amount of distance away?

It's still sad to think we'll probably not get to these places for at least another century.

Woorloog

Banned
It's still sad to think we'll probably not get to these places for at least another century.

If we don't get our shit togheter within a century (probably less), we, the humanity, ain't seeing the stars ever.

And if we do, then we'll probably become at least interplanetary travellers in the next century.
Hopefully.

Clevinger

"Astronomers have made a sweet discovery: simple sugar molecules floating in the gas around a star some 400 light-years away"

How in that hell can you discover something so small so far away?

Death of a planet.

Astronomers have found a dusty tail streaming off a faraway alien planet, suggesting that the tiny, scorching-hot world is indeed falling apart

In May, researchers announced the detection of a possibly distintegrating exoplanet, a roughly Mercury-size world being boiled away by the intense heat of its parent star. Now, a different team has found strong evidence in support of the find — a massive dust cloud shed by the planet, similar to the tail of a comet.

The unfortunate alien planet lies about 1,500 light-years away from Earth. It sits very close to its host star — completing an orbit every 15 hours — and is therefore incredibly hot, with surface temperatures estimated to be around 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit (1,982 degrees Celsius).

More here:
http://www.space.com/17448-disintegrating-alien-planet-dust-tail-kepler.html

Will this happen to the Earth when our Sun goes Red Giant, or will we simply be swallowed up I wonder?

I hope our own planet will have a more fortunate end. This would be torture for all life forms still subsisting within the burning planet.

Most of the organic matter on the surface of the Earth would be carbonized in an instant and the oceans would pretty much boil most large creatures to death instantaneously -- nearly all of the water would be vaporized anyways, leaving only the hardiest of microbes (and maybe a few roaches, why not?) left to take over a very harsh and probably dry planet as the CME's energy and velocity would likely carry away most of the vaporized H2O.

The energy in that CME is millions or even billions of time greater than the largest nuclear warhead ever detonated.

Hmmm...I would guess that depends on how fast the red giant grows. If slow enough, I could see a dusty trail being left as we continue orbit around it. Do they usually expand quickly, or over years?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Most of the organic matter on the surface of the Earth would be carbonized in an instant and the oceans would pretty much boil most large creatures to death instantaneously -- nearly all of the water would be vaporized anyways, leaving only the hardiest of microbes (and maybe a few roaches, why not?) left to take over a very harsh and probably dry planet as the CME's energy and velocity would likely carry away most of the vaporized H2O.

The energy in that CME is millions or even billions of time greater than the largest nuclear warhead ever detonated.

God damn I'm hungry now

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait...

What am I missing here?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/deep/the-looming-threat-of-a-solar-superstorm-6643435

Nothing here seems to say that CMEs are that dangerous.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As in that picture, like "what if the Earth was engulfed in that CME?"
?

As disruptive as the particle shower was, it was only the beginning. At 7:30 am, just after sunrise on the east coast of the United States, a satellite stationed directly between the Sun and the Earth observed our star gain an ominous glowing halo, the telltale sign of a CME aimed directly at our planet. All along the eastern seaboard, millions of people awoke to a seemingly normal, sunny day, unaware that they and our entire planet lay directly in the path of a vicious solar storm.

Shortly after 2 am Eastern time on October 29, the CME arrived at Earth, and the storm’s major effects began. A magnetized plasma front slammed into our planet’s magnetic field, pumping it full of energy to create a "geomagnetic storm" that sent powerful electric currents reverberating in and around the Earth. Vivid displays of auroral lights, normally restricted to higher latitudes, painted the night sky red and green in Florida and Australia.

Hey, Obama's campaign released a decent piece on the SLS. Here's the summary from Examiner.com

The Obama Campaign in Florida has released a document listing what it considers to be the president’s major accomplishments in the area of space policy. Among the lists of space initiatives under Obama is the following:

“Under President Obama, NASA is developing a new vehicle, the Space Launch System, which will serve as the backbone of its human space exploration program in the post-Shuttle era. Support for the Space Launch System by 1.5% in President Obama’s latest budget request, and the system continues its steady progress – in July, SLS completed its preliminary review, allowing the program to continue ahead to its preliminary design phase.”

The blog Space Politics, though, suggests that the president is taking credit for a space project that he did not propose and, in fact, opposed to a certain degree.

“The SLS, though, was not an original Obama Administration proposal but instead the result of a congressional compromise, and until about a year ago supporters of the SLS in Congress were claiming the administration was slow-rolling the design of the SLS.”

The original Obama space policy proposal, made at about the same time that the president cancelled the Constellation space exploration program, was to defer the building of a heavy lift launcher for several years. The United States Congress compelled NASA to begin the development of the heavy lift Space Launch System in late 2010 in a NASA Authorization Act. Currently an initial version of the SLS is scheduled to have its first test launch in 2017 when it will launch an unmanned version of the Orion Multi Purpose Crew Vehicle around the moon. The second flight is envisioned as a manned lunar orbital mission, similar to the flight of Apollo 8, in the 2019-21 timeframe.

Link To The Story

Nice to see some noise about this beautiful launch system. Can't wait to see the larger variants lift off in ten years or so.

Top Bottom