• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Space.com's image of the day. I need to experience this view before I die!

russian-progress-cargo-ship.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Any kind of job, even an internship, at NASA could be kinda awesome I'd imagine.

Ha, I should have been more specific, like, what does he do at NASA that he DOESN'T do outside of work, haha.

I won't argue with that.

A little more specifically, I'm helping out with origin of life research.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

:lol I'm not that special yet, no bowing required.

but I am loyal to the Golden Throne!

Higgs-Boson related in any way?

No? That's a physics thing, iirc. Like CERN and Hadron Collider, yeah? There were no particle accelerators in my lab the last time I checked.

You're not making X-wings? Bah, your avatar would've fit that well.

Origin of life research?
Astrobiology or something like that?

lol yeah, that would be fitting.

Yeah, astrobiology and exobiology.

Earth rotates under Galileo.

20130213_all_gal_e1_1hr.gif

As Galileo receded from its first flyby of Earth on December 11 and 12, 1990, it took images of Earth in six different filters almost every minute over a 25-hour period. The animation here includes images taken once an hour, representing about a tenth of the full number of frames.

As Galileo receded from its first flyby of Earth on December 11 and 12, 1990, it took images of Earth in six different filters almost every minute over a 25-hour period. The animation here includes images taken once an hour, representing about a tenth of the full number of frames.

There are few sights, if any, that are more beautiful to my eyes than our planet in its entirety ("the blue marble") from space.

Is there a link where I can see more of these images taken by Galileo?

Wow, incredible.

Galileo <3

verbum

I know, but even if it is done it has served a good purpose.

“We have two years of data that has yet to be searched through,” said Borucki, “I’m optimistic that the data we have we’ll be able to accomplish Kepler’s mission of finding another Earth. We believe that in the next couple of years we will have many more exciting discoveries with respect to finding planets.”
Boricki added that while he’s delighted that they have found so many planetary candidates, on the other hand “I would have been even happier if it had continued another four years. That would have been frosting on the cake,” he said, “but we have an excellent cake right now.”
Kepler has found over 2,700 planetary candidates, with 130 confirmed planets, from the size of Earth’s moon to larger than Jupiter.

http://www.universetoday.com/102168/kepler-planet-hunting-mission-in-jepardy/#more-102168

Melchiah

V2J8fww.jpg

http://phys.org/news/2013-05-x-class-flares-hours.html
Three X-class flares in 24 hours.

The sun emitted a third significant solar flare in under 24 hours, peaking at 9:11 p.m. EDT on May 13, 2013. This flare is classified as an X3.2 flare. This is the strongest X-class flare of 2013 so far, surpassing in strength the two X-class flares that occurred earlier in the 24-hour period.

The flare was also associated with a coronal mass ejection, or CME. The CME began at 9:30 p.m. EDT and was not Earth-directed. Experimental NASA research models show that the CME left the sun at approximately 1,400 miles per second, which is particularly fast for a CME. The models suggest that it will catch up to the two CMEs associated with the earlier flares.

The merged cloud of solar material will pass by the Spitzer spacecraft and may give a glancing blow to the STEREO-B and Epoxi spacecraft. Their mission operators have been notified. If warranted, operators can put spacecraft into safe mode to protect the instruments from solar material.

EDIT: Here's a video: http://phys.org/news/2013-05-x-class-solar-flare.html

Woorloog

Banned
I understand our color spectrum as humans is very limited, but do you think most things out there in space would be basically black to our eyes.

Think? Nah, i know it.

These nebulas are really big. The closest stars can be quite far away. The gas is spread thin... it ain't going to reflect light much.

Woorloog

Banned
Ok whelp thanks for the pics NASA, i mean cock tease lol.

I recall someone saying something like that before here on NeoGAF about some space pics.
Most people really don't know that nebulas are not brightly colored, because "natural" pics are never shown AFAIK. How the humanity will be disappointed when we venture to stars.

I recall someone saying something like that before here on NeoGAF about some space pics.
Most people really don't know that nebulas are not brightly colored, because "natural" pics are never shown AFAIK. How the humanity will be disappointed when we venture to stars.
Hopefully we'll run into some intelligent life to balance that disappointment.

Woorloog

Banned
Hopefully we'll run into some intelligent life to balance that disappointment.

I don't know. Might be dangerous. Competition.
There is no reason to assume other life is friendly, nor is there any reason to assume we can understand them or work with them.
Regardles, we should be prepared based on their capabilities, not based on their intent.
So, if there is other life, we are going to need a space defence force. Or perhaps space army, more like.

Top Bottom