• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

fallout

Machado said:
what's the core ofjupiter made of? I mean gas cannot cause that huge gravitational force
Just to add to what Crazymoogle said, it's a lot of gas. Jupiter has the volume of about 1300-some Earths (so, you can fit 1300-some Earth inside Jupiter). Now, it's obviously less dense than Earth (and in fact, is "only" 300-some times as massive as the Earth), but when there's that much of it, it definitely adds up.

what's the best Mercury pictuure outhere?
I dunno, this one at Wikipedia is nice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mercury_in_color_-_Prockter07_centered.jpg

Taken by Messenger in early 2008.

what's the best youtube video about space?
I ... really have no idea. A lot of the Carl Sagan stuff is on there. Might be a good place to start.

Astronomers have unveiled what is likely the first picture of a planet around a normal star similar to the Sun.

Three University of Toronto scientists used the Gemini North telescope on Mauna Kea in Hawai‘i to take images of the young star 1RXS J160929.1-210524 (which lies about 500 light-years from Earth) and a candidate companion of that star. They also obtained spectra to confirm the nature of the companion, which has a mass about eight times that of Jupiter, and lies roughly 330 times the Earth-Sun distance away from its star. (For comparison, the most distant planet in our solar system, Neptune, orbits the Sun at only about 30 times the Earth-Sun distance.) The parent star is similar in mass to the Sun, but is much younger.

fig1.jpg

http://www.gemini.edu/sunstarplanet

Preprint of paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.1424

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jupiter and its moons have always held a huge fascination for me. Seeing all of those moons in orbit around the planet is something to behold.

Also that planet picture is quite amazing. Would be great if found true.

Quazar

Machado said:
what's the best youtube video about space?

These should get you started. Nice mix anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8dcb8iKSM Michio Kaku on Space exploration/aliens(not ufo shit really)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnQLsERqTIg Michio Kaku on String Theory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myPSkL_S45E Carl Sagan Cosmos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey8Jw7e4B2Q Jupiter(The Universe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUT5Lsq9sP0 The Moon(TU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbCeveFptA The Universe - Mars: The Red Planet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLaPhNBOcU The Universe : Secrets of The Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urkyYLYAykU The Universe: Alien Galaxies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNs-tzCtZEE The End of The Universe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2iRLhuKU9w Biggest Things in the Universe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJwTM5Drjc Wildest Weather In The Cosmos pt1

this user seems to have a lot of vids you'd be interested in: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=alwaysblazen

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
NASA Awards $485M Mars Project Delayed by Conflict said:
NASA Awards $485M Mars Mission Probe, Resolving Conflict of Interest

NASA chose a University of Colorado proposal for a $485 million Mars mission on Monday after a nine-month delay caused by a conflict of interest in the selection process. The delay cost the space agency time, money and science.

The price of the probe increased by $10 million, its launch was postponed by two years, and the science-gathering mission will be cut in half to one year, an official said. NASA chose the University of Colorado's proposal to study the Martian atmosphere from 20 other ideas to study Mars that were trimmed to just two before a conflict of interest was declared.

NASA has not disclosed what the conflict of interest was or who it involved, other than to say last year that it was not created by NASA but by one of the two groups. The space agency said last December that a "serious" conflict of interest in one of two proposals forced it to disband the board formed to pick the winner, and create a new panel to award the contract.

NASA on Monday said there is no more conflict of interest because the two finalists submitted new proposals and "the conflict in the original reports was irrelevant to the evaluation and the selection decision."

Officials maintained they still cannot disclose details because it involved "proprietary information." That information has been destroyed, NASA said.

Bruce Jakosky, associate director for the Colorado lab and principal investigator for the mission, said the conflict was not with the Colorado proposal. The other finalist was the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. In December, a Southwest spokesman declined to comment on the delay or questions about the conflict; that group could not be reached for comment after business hours on Monday.

The Mars Scout program had originally been scheduled for 2011 launch. But since Mars only comes close enough to Earth to launch probes every 26 months, NASA had to postpone the mission to 2013. The mission will focus on the Martian atmosphere, how it evolved and lost its water, becoming the desolate place it is now.

Because of the delay, the science mission will be cut from two years to one, Jakosky told The Associated Press. That's because the probe will be launched later in the solar cycle and after one year in orbit there will be considerably fewer solar events to study. But the science will still get done, he said. "We're trying to learn the history of the atmosphere and the history of the water," Jakosky said. And that is done by studying how the sun and Martian atmosphere interact now.

The probe will carry instruments to measure characteristics of Mars' atmospheric gases, upper atmosphere, solar wind, and ionosphere — a layer of charged particles very high in the Martian atmosphere.
Link

fallout

Machado said:
1.-do you really think a man could walk on mars in the next 20 years?
20 years? The way things are going, probably not. I could see it happening in 50 years, though. Of course, we made it to the Moon in a decade, so all it would really take is the ambition and desire to get there.

2.-could they melt mars' ice and make it look like a river?, could that help to planting the planet?
If there's enough water ice, then yes. Most of the ice we know of so far though, is just frozen carbon dioxide (CO2). Assuming we could get enough water on the planet, it might fill up where you see all the blues in this image:

LandingSites-Mars.jpg

3.-I've read that the moon has an atmosphere is that true? if it does why doesn't it have any gases?
It does, but it's just very thin (to the point of being negligible). As for why you can't see it, well ... some gases you just can't see under normal conditions. Like, you can't see the fact that there's oxygen floating around in front of you, but it's there.

4.-is there a chance of a asteroid colliding with our planet?
Of course there's a chance, it's just ... quite rare (as far as we know, anyway).

5.-are black holes really swallowing the universe?
They're not really swallowing it. What they're doing is taking the surrounding light and matter, pulling them in and compressing them into the tiniest point you could possibly imagine.

MMaRsu

So I recently read something about a planet in our solar system that was a bit like earth in that it had a growing atmosphere? I can't remember where I read that or if it was even new, but I know it was somewhere.

Anybody who can link me to that post or newsstory?

Koshiro

Just got this in my inbox:
NASA Mars Lander Sees Falling Snow, Soil Data Suggest Liquid Past

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has detected snow falling from Martian clouds. Spacecraft soil experiments also have provided evidence of past interaction between minerals and liquid water, processes that occur on Earth.

A laser instrument designed to gather knowledge of how the atmosphere and surface interact on Mars has detected snow from clouds about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) above the spacecraft's landing site. Data show the snow vaporizing before reaching the ground.

"Nothing like this view has ever been seen on Mars," said Jim Whiteway, of York University, Toronto, lead scientist for the Canadian-supplied Meteorological Station on Phoenix. "We'll be looking for signs that the snow may even reach the ground."

Phoenix experiments also yielded clues pointing to calcium carbonate, the main composition of chalk, and particles that could be clay. Most carbonates and clays on Earth form only in the presence of liquid water.

"We are still collecting data and have lots of analysis ahead, but we are making good progress on the big questions we set out for ourselves," said Phoenix Principal Investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona, Tucson.

Since landing on May 25, Phoenix already has confirmed that a hard subsurface layer at its far-northern site contains water-ice. Determining whether that ice ever thaws would help answer whether the environment there has been favorable for life, a key aim of the mission.

The evidence for calcium carbonate in soil samples from trenches dug by the Phoenix robotic arm comes from two laboratory instruments called the Thermal and Evolved Gas Analyzer, or TEGA, and the wet chemistry laboratory of the Microscopy, Electrochemistry and Conductivity Analyzer, or MECA.

"We have found carbonate," said William Boynton of the University of Arizona, lead scientist for the TEGA. "This points toward episodes of interaction with water in the past."

The TEGA evidence for calcium carbonate came from a high-temperature release of carbon dioxide from soil samples. The temperature of the release matches a temperature known to decompose calcium carbonate and release carbon dioxide gas, which was identified by the instrument's mass spectrometer.

The MECA evidence came from a buffering effect characteristic of calcium carbonate assessed in wet chemistry analysis of the soil. The measured concentration of calcium was exactly what would be expected for a solution buffered by calcium carbonate.

Both TEGA, and the microscopy part of MECA, have turned up hints of a clay-like substance. "We are seeing smooth-surfaced, platy particles with the atomic-force microscope, not inconsistent with the appearance of clay particles," said Michael Hecht, MECA lead scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

The Phoenix mission, originally planned for three months on Mars, now is in its fifth month. However, it faces a decline in solar energy that is expected to curtail and then end the lander's activities before the end of the year. Before power ceases, the Phoenix team will attempt to activate a microphone on the lander to possibly capture sounds on Mars.

"For nearly three months after landing, the sun never went below the horizon at our landing site," said Barry Goldstein, JPL Phoenix project manager. "Now it is gone for more than four hours each night, and the output from our solar panels is dropping each week. Before the end of October, there won't be enough energy to keep using the robotic arm."

Windu

A Solar Prominence Unfurls

Click For Bigger Image

On September 29, this magnificent eruptive solar prominence lifted away from the Sun's surface, unfurling into space over the course of several hours. Suspended in twisted magnetic fields, the hot plasma structure is many times the size of planet Earth and was captured in this view by the Sun-watching STEREO (Ahead) spacecraft. The image was recorded in extreme ultraviolet light emitted by ionized Helium, an element originally identified in the solar spectrum. Seen against the brilliant solar surface in visible light, such prominences appear as dark filaments because they are relatively cool. But they are bright themselves when viewed against the blackness of space, arcing above the Sun's edge. A video of the eruption (a 2.6MB .mov file) is available here.

notsol337

marked forever
Earth and the Moon and Jupiter and some of its moons as seen from the Mars Global Surveyor!

Click for bigger!

*edit* God dammit I suck at html...

fallout

Speaking as an amateur astronomer, that image is fucking awesome. I think maybe you'd need to have seen a lot of the planets under low magnification to appreciate it, but yeah, that thing is excellent. Can't believe I've never seen it before!

Being able to see the Moon and the blues of Earth. Stunning. If I ever go to Mars, I am bringing a telescope.

notsol337

marked forever
fallout said:
Speaking as an amateur astronomer, that image is fucking awesome. I think maybe you'd need to have seen a lot of the planets under low magnification to appreciate it, but yeah, that thing is excellent. Can't believe I've never seen it before!

Being able to see the Moon and the blues of Earth. Stunning.

I've seen Jupiter in my backyard like that, as well as Venus, Saturn, and of course I got to see Venus and Saturn at the same time.

This picture just takes the cake though, since it's pretty much what the earth would look like with my little scope and a high mag eyepiece.

So utterly fuckawesome.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The US is out of money, NASA will probably see its budget contract further in the coming years.

Windu

Earth at Night

Click For Bigger Image
This is what the Earth looks like at night. Can you find your favorite country or city? Surprisingly, city lights make this task quite possible. Human-made lights highlight particularly developed or populated areas of the Earth's surface, including the seaboards of Europe, the eastern United States, and Japan. Many large cities are located near rivers or oceans so that they can exchange goods cheaply by boat. Particularly dark areas include the central parts of South America, Africa, Asia, and Australia. The above image is actually a composite of hundreds of pictures made by the orbiting DMSP satellites.

notsol337

marked forever
Well, sunspots actually follow a cycle, so there may be no significance whatsoever. It really just depends on how the magnetic poles are currently behaving.

Although, I suppose they should have started up again by now...

notsol337

marked forever
fallout said:
Yeah, physics as a major can be incredibly difficult. Even if you get it you still have to be good with the math in order to really get it.

A bit of a warning, though ... myself and a few others started majoring in physics for the very same reasons that you want to. By the time graduation rolled around, there weren't a lot left in the program (mind you, there weren't very many to begin with). Myself and a couple others switched out into computer science, others went and just got other unrelated degrees. That said, I still have a huge interest in the subject and volunteered/worked at the campus observatory while I was in school. So, even if you don't go with physics, or do and you find that it's not for you, there are ways to stay involved.

I'm sticking with it, you fool.

YOU ARE A FOOL FOR QUITTING YOU KNOW THAT RIGHT?

Quitter.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
fallout said:
I didn't quit, I just ... migrated.

Also: I'm glad that the people in the HDF thread have stayed out of this thread.

don't post in this thread much but follow it quite well.. and I couldnt agree more.

some how theyve turned something so beautiful into pety religious debates :(

Ether_Snake said:
The US is out of money, NASA will probably see its budget contract further in the coming years.

Obama has proposed an increase (2 Billion), and the latest appropriations bill that passed a week or so ago includes increases.

The prestige of being one of the few countries with locally developed maned space flight is at stake. That'll scare congress enough to fund Ares I and Orion.

Whether Ares IV and the moon base gets the ultimate budgetary green light though is still shaky.

AndersTheSwede said:
Obama has proposed an increase (2 Billion), and the latest appropriations bill that passed a week or so ago includes increases.

The prestige of being one of the few countries with locally developed maned space flight is at stake. That'll scare congress enough to fund Ares I and Orion.

Whether Ares IV and the moon base gets the ultimate budgetary green light though is still shaky.
Moon base? If there is talk about establishing a base on Luna, give NASA all the money it needs.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I find it kind of sad and ironic that South Korea is lit up like a lightbulb, and North Korea has a few blips. You can practically see the line of the border.

Windu

Layers of Red Cliffs on Mars

Click For Bigger Image

How did these layers of red cliffs form on Mars? No one is sure. The northern ice cap on Mars is nearly divided into two by a huge division named Chasma Boreale. No similar formation occurs on Earth. Pictured above, several dusty layers leading into this deep chasm are visible. Cliff faces, mostly facing left but still partly visible from above, appear dramatically red. The light areas are likely water ice. The above image spans about one kilometer near the north of Mars, and the elevation drop from right to left is over a kilometer. One hypothesis relates the formation of Chasma Boreale to underlying volcanic activity.

Anthropic

Sadly, it's entering over Sudan, so there will probably not be too many pictures from the ground, unless they can see something from say, Mecca, which is one of the closest cities.

Windu

Dust Mountains in the Carina Nebula

Click For Bigger Image
Bright young stars sometimes sculpt picturesque dust mountains soon after being born. Created quite by accident, the energetic light and winds from these massive newborn stars burn away accumulations of dark dust and cool gas in a slow but persistent manner. Such is the case in NGC 3324, a star forming region near the edge of NGC 3372, the energetic and expansive Carina Nebula. Pictured above, in scientifically assigned colors, is only a small part of NGC 3324. The Carina Nebula itself is one of the largest star forming regions known and home to Eta Carinae, one of the most unstable and variable stars known. The above image was created from archived Hubble Space Telescope data in honor of the 10th anniversary of the Hubble Heritage Project. The Hubble Heritage Project has created, so far, nearly 130 visually stunning images.

Nasa: 50 Years Of Exploration Video (wmv)

Windu

Mercury as Revealed by MESSENGER

Click For Bigger Image

The planet Mercury has been known since history has been recorded, but parts of the Solar System's innermost planet have never been seen like this before. Two days ago the robotic MESSENGER spacecraft buzzed past Mercury for the second time and imaged terrain mapped previously only by comparatively crude radar. The above image was recorded as MESSENGER looked back 90 minutes after passing, from an altitude of about 27,000 kilometers. Visible in the above image, among many other newly imaged features, are unusually long rays that appear to run like meridians of longitude out from a young crater near the northern limb. MESSENGER is scheduled to fly past Mercury once more before firing its thrusters to enter orbit in 2011.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
best thread ever? yep.

edit: browsing this thread... some images have made my eyes a little moist. i'm awestruck.

Sibylus

Banned
Windu said:
Layers of Red Cliffs on Mars

Click For Bigger Image
IT'S MARTIAN TERRACES MADE BY MARTIANS SO THEY CAN HARVEST THEIR MARTIAN CROPS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*passes out*

Holy shit this thread got me reading about dark matter/energy and the CMB on Wikipedia at 2 in the morning.

Dropped a few Sagan books into my backpack - I know what I'll be doing at work tomorrow.

Windu

Bright Bolide

Click For Bigger Image

On September 30, a spectacular bolide or fireball meteor surprised a group of amateur astronomers enjoying dark night skies over the Oklahoma panhandle's Black Mesa State Park in the Midwestern US. Flashing past familiar constellations Taurus (top) and Orion, the extremely bright meteor was captured by a hillside camera overlooking the 2008 Okie-Tex Star Party. Astronomy enthusiast Howard Edin reports that he was looking in the opposite direction at the time, but saw the whole observing field light up and at first thought someone had turned on their car headlights. So far the sighting of a such a bright bolide meteor, produced as a space rock is vaporized hurtling through Earth's atmosphere, really is a matter of luck. But that could change. Earlier this week the discovery and follow-up tracking of tiny asteroid 2008 TC3 allowed astronomers to predict the time and location of its impact with the atmosphere. While no ground-based sightings of the fireball seem to have been reported, this first ever impact prediction was confirmed by at least some detections of an air burst and bright flash on October 7th over northern Sudan.

Teknoman

2emkdu1.jpg

Picture from earlier in the topic...but damn. Wish I could've seen that in real life.

Also, anyone here about the next rover they are going to send to Mars? Its supposed to be SUV sized and have a ton of equipment for long term study. Whats the size of a standard rover comparable to?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Argh! - Had my 70mm refractor out over the last few nights for a few non-optimal views of Jupiter and the Galilean moons. (Too low in the horizon for stunning views tbh)

Took it out tonight and somehow managed to sheer off one of the finderscopes adjustment nuts, the finderscope on this scope is integral and not a seperate assembly so the scope is hosed.

Looks like it's time to buy a new one.

Top Bottom