• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

Teknoman

Macam said:

s5l9at.jpg

Eteric Rice

I'm surprised we haven't found a new way of traveling in space yet. You know, a super advanced ship.

I guess we can do it when we find a new type of propulsion, but damn you'd think we'd at least have a colony by now.

fallout

Macam said:
Poor little guy. Gonna miss him!

jett said:
That isn't a real, untouched picture, is it?
It's untouched in the sense that it hasn't had anything added to it. It has been cleaned up to remove camera artifacts and whatnot. The image has also been made by combining different images taken through different filters. Your eyes would not see exactly what you see there, but that's because our eyes suck. They colours you see represent the different gasses in the nebula and are actually there.

Macam

Banned
fallout said:
Poor little guy. Gonna miss him!

It's untouched in the sense that it hasn't had anything added to it. It has been cleaned up to remove camera artifacts and whatnot. The image has also been made by combining different images taken through different filters. Your eyes would not see exactly what you see there, but that's because our eyes suck. They colours you see represent the different gasses in the nebula and are actually there.

Are there any comparison pictures where we could see what the image looks like with all the filters and what a human eye would see?

fallout

Macam said:
Are there any comparison pictures where we could see what the image looks like with all the filters and what a human eye would see?
None of that particular nebula, but here is an image of the Orion Nebula taken through a 60cm scope. It has been combined with 4 different colour filters and really hasn't had any processing done to it to remove camera artifacts.

orion-colour.jpg

Here's the same nebula taken with my 20 cm. It's basically what you see with the naked eye, but with a little more colour.

orionebula-sm.jpg

Macam

Banned
Thanks, fallout. I just wanted to get a general idea of the contrast between the two as I wasn't sure how dramatic the difference would be. It was one of those things I always meant to look up but never did.

Macam

Banned
capt.648ce9839f844f03aa3a49426e6d9ec4.watery_moon_ny117.jpg

Plumes spewing from Saturn moon may contain water

WASHINGTON – Astronomers looking at the spectacular supersonic plumes of gas and dust shooting off one of Saturn's moons say there are strong hints of liquid water, a key building block of life.

Their research, appearing in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature, adds to the growing push to explore further the moon Enceladus, as one of the solar system's most compelling places for potential life.

Using images from NASA's Cassini probe, astronomers had already figured that the mysterious plumes shooting from Enceladus' icy terrain contain water vapor. New calculations suggesting the gas and dust spew at speeds faster-than-sound make the case for liquid, said study lead author Candice Hansen of NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in California. Her team calculated the plumes travel more than 1,360 mph.

Reaching that speed "is hard to do without liquids," Hansen said. While her paper offers more evidence building on what others have found, she added that her research is not the final proof of liquid water on Enceladus (pronounced en-SELL-ah-dus).

Other planetary scientists, such as Andrew Ingersoll at the California Institute of Technology, said the research is good, but that it is possible to achieve such speeds with ice particles and at cooler temperatures. So Hansen hasn't proven her case yet, he and other scientists said.

Carolyn Porco, the head of the Cassini camera team and an astronomer who didn't take part in Hansen's research, said "the evidence in my mind is building on liquid water." That moon, one of 60 circling Saturn, "has become the go-to place" for exploration in the outer planets, she said.

Europa, a moon of Jupiter, may have a liquid ocean beneath its frozen surface. But Enceladus, thought responsible for producing one of Saturn's rings, is more accessible, Hansen said. "Enceladus is sort of helpfully spewing out its innards," she said.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
An Apollo 15 Panorama: Astronaut Exploring

Click For Bigger Image
What would it be like to explore the Moon? NASA's Apollo missions gave humans just this chance in the late 1960s and early 1970s. In particular, the Apollo 15 mission was dedicated to better understanding the surface of the Moon by exploring mountains, valleys, maria, and highlands. Astronauts David Scott and James Irwin spent nearly three days on the Moon while Alfred Worden orbited above in the Command Module. The mission, which blasted off from Earth on 1971 July 26, was the first to deploy a Lunar Roving Vehicle. Pictured above in this digitally stitched mosaic panorama, David Scott examines a boulder in front of the summit of Mt. Hadley Delta. The shadow of James Irwin is visible to the right, while scrolling to the right will reveal a well-lit and diverse lunar terrain. The Apollo 15 mission returned about 76 kilograms of moon rocks for detailed study. In the future, NASA and other space agencies plan to continue to lead humanity's exploration of the Moon, Mars, and beyond.

Teknoman

The ISS isnt 100% complete yet right? Also it would be nice if people could stop having conflicts just long enough for great minds all over to band together and make some real space progress.

I know size comparisons have been done a few times in this thread. But my tiny human mind is still in awe at the size of space or rather the size of the things in it. Our solar system alone is a monster. I mean...

Jupiter-Earth-Spot_comparison.jpg

What a big fucker and useful too, thanks for taking all those meteorite gas bag. And any planet that looks like a melted mars bar is cool with me. 2.5x the size of all the other planets put together.

Then the sun laughs at our puniness

sun_jove_earth_size_compare.jpg

Then big dog is like, stfu bitches I got this one.

3072188640_abe42c0894_o.jpg

Damn, thats a big doggy. Oh and we're still inside our galaxy.

Hootie

MrPing1000 said:
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/sun/images/sun_jove_earth_size_compare.jpg[IMG]

Then big dog is like, stfu bitches I got this one.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/3072188640_abe42c0894_o.jpg[IMG]

Damn, thats a big doggy. Oh and we're still inside our galaxy.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a lot of comparisons like this, but [I]dayum[/I] we're small.

Thriller

Some pictures taken by a guy who has spent around $10.000 dollars on monitoring equipment...impressive

Great Nebula in Orion
kkk.jpg

The Belt Region of Orion with Horsehead Nebula on the left
article-1089886-029A55A5000005DC-495_634x670.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy
article-1089886-029A5599000005DC-741_634x400.jpg

M78 in Orion
article-1089886-029A5618000005DC-761_634x577.jpg

The dude himself
article-1089886-029A55B9000005DC-517_634x814.jpg

Thriller said:
Some pictures taken by a guy who has spent around $10.000 dollars on monitoring equipment...impressive

Great Nebula in Orion
http://www.rumormillnews.com/pix6/kkk.jpg
The Belt Region of Orion with Horsehead Nebula on the left
[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/27/article-1089886-029A55A5000005DC-495_634x670.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy
[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/27/article-1089886-029A5599000005DC-741_634x400.jpg

M78 in Orion
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/27/article-1089886-029A5618000005DC-761_634x577.jpg

The dude himself
[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/27/article-1089886-029A55B9000005DC-517_634x814.jpg[/QUOTE]
Is that ten dollars or ten thousand dollars? Surely it is the latter. Oh, and about that Andromeda Galaxy picture, is each on of those lights in the background a galaxy?

Darklord

Banned
Thriller said:
The dude himself
article-1089886-029A55B9000005DC-517_634x814.jpg

He got those images with only $10,000 of equipment? Damn, I'd pay that!

fallout

Hootie said:
Dax01 said:
Oh, and about that Andromeda Galaxy picture, is each on of those lights in the background a galaxy?
Yep.
Actually, no! Most of what you are seeing there are foreground stars. That said, there are certainly a few visible galaxies in that image (most of the nebulous looking things). Furthermore, beyond Andromeda and all those foreground stars are an insane number of galaxies. We just can't see them, because they're so distant and obscured. This is why the Hubble Ultra Deep Field was taken in the constellation Fornax. It's an area of the sky that is looking away from our own galaxy and has very little in the way of stars and other interstellar "junk".

Teh Hamburglar said:
So if time expands both forwards and backwards what would this mean for humans?
We really don't even notice it. For instance, Sergei Krikalev has spent more time in space than any other human (803d 9h 39 m). While doing so, he was moving at 7600 metres per second (17,000 miles per hour) and is 1/48th of a second younger than if he had not gone into space at all. Or, you could say that relative to us, he has traveled 1/48th of a second into the future.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Teknoman said:
Its funny how most of the moons in our solar system have a greater possibility of containing water than the planets.

Not really. The planets help absorb impacts that might otherwise destroy the moons. May be that moons are more likely spots for life, period.

I just found out today that the fastest thing us humans ever built is the Voyager 1, which is now veering out of our solar system at a 11 miles per second. The speed of light is 186k+ a second. 7 times around the Earth in one second. That is a ridiculous speed until you consider that the nearest star or planetary bodies are 4.5 light years away - ie. traveling at the speed of light for 4.5 years. Yikes! Intersteller travel is as far from us as Cellphones were to cavemens.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DarkJediKnight said:
I just found out today that the fastest thing us humans ever built is the Voyager 1, which is now veering out of our solar system at a 11 miles per second. The speed of light is 186k+ a second. 7 times around the Earth in one second. That is a ridiculous speed until you consider that the nearest star or planetary bodies are 4.5 light years away - ie. traveling at the speed of light for 4.5 years. Yikes! Intersteller travel is as far from us as Cellphones were to cavemens.

It will get faster when it becomes V'Ger.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I walked outside before, and fucking lost it laughing hysterically. why you ask? i looked up into the sky and saw this.

1692q2e.jpg

Linder

Neo Member
AUSSIES GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

I just seen it and told Syth about it over Msn then his display picture loaded and there it was.

Shawsie64

Banned
Syth_Blade22 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I walked outside before, and fucking lost it laughing hysterically. why you ask? i looked up into the sky and saw this.

1692q2e.jpg

just went out and had a look.. looks fucking awesome down this way, not a cloud in the sky and bright as! id take a pic but i dont have my camera :(

Walshicus

Dax01 said:
Is that ten dollars or ten thousand dollars? Surely it is the latter. Oh, and about that Andromeda Galaxy picture, is each on of those lights in the background a galaxy?
Thriller is from Holland, where the full stop is used to separate thousands rather than the comma.

xabre

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
just went out and had a look.. looks fucking awesome down this way, not a cloud in the sky and bright as! id take a pic but i dont have my camera :(

I saw it earlier. Venus, Mars and the Moon. Now the moon is gone completely.

Top Bottom