• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

noah111

Still Alive
I had to write an essay in speech comprehension today and chose JFK's old 'we go to the moon speech,' by the end I was incredibly depressed. The enthusiasm of that time for space, it's just been completely fractured.

I would recommend listening and reading along, the speech (and many other old speeches btw) can be found here; http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jfkriceuniversity.htm

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Sentry said:
I had to write an essay in speech comprehension today and chose JFK's old 'we go to the moon speech,' by the end I was incredibly depressed. The enthusiasm of that time for space, it's just been completely fractured.
It's basically a war speech, right? For me, the enthusiasm is overshadowed by that. But it's got some cool catch phrases for sure!

noah111

Still Alive
Not really, perhaps you can take that from certain statements, but then he throws down shit like:

"The growth of our science and education will be enriched by new knowledge of our universe and environment, by new techniques of learning and mapping and observation, by new tools and computers for industry, medicine, in the home as well as the school. Technical institutions, such as Rice, will reap the harvest of these gains."
or
"We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man[...]"

Or;

"No man can fully grasp how far and how fast we have come. But condense, if you will, the 50,000 years of man's recorded history in a time span of but a half a century. Stated in these terms, we know very little about the first 40 years, except at the end of them advanced man had learned to use the skins of animals to cover them. Then about 10 years ago, under this standard, man emerged from his caves to construct other kinds of shelter. Only five years ago man learned to write and use a cart with wheels. Christianity began less than two years ago. The printing press came this year. And then less than two months ago, during this whole 50-year span of human history, the steam engine provided a new source of power. Newton explored the meaning of gravity. Last month, electric lights and telephones and automobiles and airplanes became available. Only last week did we develop penicillin and television and nuclear power. And now if America's new spacecraft succeeds in reaching Venus, we will have literally reached the stars before midnight tonight."

It sucks so bad to know where things could be, but to be unable to reach that place. :\

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Sentry said:
Not really
Well, I thought it was a war speech because of its historical context, so the then actually intended emphasis differs from what one would get out of it without the Cold War context.

But it makes sense to me to be ambiguous there (emphasis on war for one view, emphasis on exploration for another).

Russia is sending a probe to Mars moon, Phobos and is also carrying a Mars probe from China.

Russia's scheduled launch of a robotic spacecraft to the Mars moon Phobos Tuesday marks the nation's first attempt at an interplanetary mission in 15 years.

The Phobos-Grunt mission is slated to blast off from Kazakhstan's Baikonur cosmodrome at 3:16 p.m. EST today. The main goal is to grab some dirt from Phobos' surface and return the samples to Earth in 2014 ("grunt" means "soil" in Russian).

If successful, Phobos-Grunt could shed a great deal of light on the early days of Mars and the solar system, experts say. It also would be a big morale boost for the Russian space program, which has suffered through the failure of three other Mars missions since the late 1980s.

"If Phobos-Grunt fully carries out its mission, then this will be a world-class achievement," Igor Lisov, editor-in-chief of the journal Novosti Kosmonavtiki (Space News), told Agence France-Presse. "The problem with Russian space exploration has been that people have forgotten the taste of victory. The task of this mission is to restore confidence in our abilities and the importance of the task."

If all goes according to plan, the unmanned, $163 million Phobos-Grunt mission should reach Mars by autumn 2012, then drop its lander onto Phobos a few months later. The potato-shaped moon is just 16 miles (27 kilometers) long, and most scientists think it's a former asteroid captured by Mars' gravity long ago.

The robotic lander will scrape up some Phobos soil, then launch the samples back to Earth, where they should arrive sometime in 2014. Some instruments will stay behind on the moon to carry out scientific observations.

Scientists would likely be eager to sift through the Phobos samples. Asteroids are leftovers from the solar system's early days, primordial pieces that didn't get incorporated into planets. So studying pristine chunks of an asteroid is almost like having access to a time machine, researchers have said.

Also, some of the dust collected by Phobos-Grunt could come from Mars itself, blasted off by meteorite impacts. So the mission could teach researchers about the Red Planet's early history and evolution as well.

Phobos-Grunt is also carrying several other payloads, including a capsule full of microbes prepared by the nonprofit Planetary Society in the United States to investigate how lifeforms survive and behave on long flights through deep space.

The mission is also ferrying China's first Mars probe, a small spacecraft called Yinghuo 1 that will separate from Phobos-Grunt and go into orbit around the Red Planet.

Full article here

noah111

Still Alive
Let's get the space race started again. Hope Russia (and the rest of the world) continues forward enough to entice the U.S. to push harder.

Tawpgun

Carl Sagan's Birthday today. He would have been 77. Goddamn do I wish he was still alive.

Not sure if new thread worthy or not.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
That really sucks, but apparently there's still a small chance they can fix it.

But Popovkin said officials were in contact with the probe, which remained in Earth's orbit, and had three days to set it on course before the batteries run out.

Failure of the Phobos-Grunt mission would be a big blow to the pride and prospects of Russia's space agency, which was crimped by budget constraints and a brain drain following the 1991 Soviet collapse and suffered a humiliating series of setbacks this year.

"They say there is hope to reset it, apparently it's a problem with the programing but there is very little time," the lead mission scientist Alexander Zakharov of the Space Research Institute told Reuters.

noah111

Still Alive
^What the fuck, it's like we've never been to space before. Jesus..

A27 Tawpgun said:
Carl Sagan's Birthday today. He would have been 77. Goddamn do I wish he was still alive.

Not sure if new thread worthy or not.
So do I, but I can't imagine how disappointed he would be with how far (or lack-thereof) we have gone in space advancement. It would've broken his heart.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
On the flipside, I imagine he'd be pretty pleased with what we've learned about our solar system with space probes. He was a big proponent of that IIRC.

Carl would be excited about the number of planets we've discovered, the fact that we've got photographs of some of them, the fact that we'll have a craft at Pluto by 2014, and the fact that Mars and the James Webb Telescope are at least on the table.

He'd be upset about the continued damage political interests have had on public understanding and trust of science, but I doubt he'd be surprised.

noah111

Still Alive
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Carl would be excited about the number of planets we've discovered, the fact that we've got photographs of some of them, the fact that we'll have a craft at Pluto by 2014, and the fact that Mars and the James Webb Telescope are at least on the table.

He'd be upset about the continued damage political interests have had on public understanding and trust of science, but I doubt he'd be surprised.
Is this true? Will we finally get to see what pluto looks like or are there no photo capabilities.

noah111

Still Alive
At this point jesus himself could come down and tell us the obvious and it wouldn't change where our space program is going. People just don't give a shit about it anymore.

I almost can't blame them when our planet is so fucked up currently, we have a lot of work to do terrestrially before we can travel off of this planet, but how long that work will take is the question.

Kud Dukan

Sentry said:
Is this true? Will we finally get to see what pluto looks like or are there no photo capabilities.

Yeah, it's the New Horizons mission. It's going to fly past Pluto, taking lots of nice pictures, and then continue out into the Kuiper Belt, where NASA is aiming to have it fly past a few of the objects out there as well.

Kud Dukan said:
Yeah, it's the New Horizons mission. It's going to fly past Pluto, taking lots of nice pictures, and then continue out into the Kuiper Belt, where NASA is aiming to have it fly past a few of the objects out there as well.
I totally spaced (ahurr), it's going to get there July 14, 2015.

Hootie

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-11-russia-mars-probe-lost.html

4NxMs.jpg

Did anyone watch the latest episode of Nova (part 2 of 4 about time/space)? That stuff messes with my mind. I can't wrap my head around the concept that in billions of years from now space will be so stretched apart that time will no longer be observable.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Maklershed said:
Did anyone watch the latest episode of Nova (part 2 of 4 about time/space)? That stuff messes with my mind. I can't wrap my head around the concept that in billions of years from now space will be so stretched apart that time will no longer be observable.

I know that other galaxies won't be observable from the Milky Way eventually, but this is the first time I've heard of this.

What's the general premise for time itself not being observable at that point? Did they mean just by humans in our present form, or that the passage of time fundamentally grinds to a halt?

Mario said:
I know that other galaxies won't be observable from the Milky Way eventually, but this is the first time I've heard of this.

What's the general premise for time itself not being observable at that point? Did they mean just by humans in our present form, or that the passage of time fundamentally grinds to a halt?
Basically that only random particles will be the only thing left. You'd be in a black void so you couldn't tell time is even lapsing.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Maklershed said:
Basically that only random particles will be the only thing left. You'd be in a black void so you couldn't tell time is even lapsing.

Oh, right. Heat death. That is around 1E1000 years away.

Oh and the other thing that was messing with my head is that our universe is guided by entropy but there's no law that states it has to be that way and there could just as easily be a universe where actions happen before the cause.

Kraftwerk

Maklershed said:
Oh and the other thing that was messing with my head is that our universe is guided by entropy but there's no law that states it has to be that way and there could just as easily be a universe where actions happen before the cause.

Maklershed said:

BLqZI.gif

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Right. And the inevitability of it all convinces me that there's multiple universes being born and dying all the time, most likely a bunch of inside out balloons on a head of broccoli, pouring into and out of each other.

I mean, sure, I'm afraid of the big tear, the cold death, w/e you want to call it. But I'm not afraid that nothing will exist afterward, because that's not possible.

Milkyway Musings said:
Let Carl Sagan guide you in a choose-your-own-adventure tour of the universe. Imagination is the season 2 premiere of the Carl Sagan Tribute Series. Built from video and audio from the Ship of the Imagination sequences in Cosmos, Imagination adds a modern touch to the genius of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos, while allowing viewers to control their experience. Each tour runs about 20 minutes in length, and there are eight different ways to take the tour – enabling a different experience each time and allowing viewers to explore the Cosmos through the imagination of the late Carl Sagan. Imagination is an educational and speculative tour of the universe – join Carl Sagan for a tour, won’t you?

Imagination [Carl Sagan Tribute Series, S02E01]

I'm not sure how this will work, haven't watched it yet.

shuyin_

Banned
Naked Snake said:
IMO the first part of that movie is one of the worst attempts to define time. The past is different from the future because you can remebebr the past but you can't remember the future? Nothing wrong with that, but it just sounds.... i don't know, childish.

Also time is like space? :/ Because there's no sense od direction in space? :/

Top Bottom