• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgreen

Looks to me like the dragon capsule fired? (Or was jetissoned)

You can see it falling first through the cloud first time something looks wrong

They have to build a new one for each launch. This is why they're trying so hard to make their rockets reusable!

oh yea, lol.

For some reason I was under the impression that they were just reusing parts of the other Falcon 9's that were tipping over during the failed landing events XD

Blizzard

Banned
You don't need human workers for that.

Self replicating robots who build copies of themselves from the astroid material means you can build a fleet of workers with minimum cost.
Getting self-replicating robots into space STILL requires escaping earth's gravity, and the same for the asteroid equipment. Developing asteroid-using, self-replicating robots and safe asteroid retrieval / mining technology are yet more things we still don't have as far as I know, and I feel like either would qualify as the sort of "miracle breakthrough" the earlier poster mentioned.

Orbis

Bit of a setback for SpaceX. Before this incident it almost seemed like landing the spent stage on a barge was the biggest concern. Almost forgot how temperamental the launches themselves can be.

On the plus side, this has happened now, before manned flights and lessons can be learnt for that.

deefol

SYwUIbI.gif

I've never seen an explosion like this before, its like dust particles afterwards. That's crazy

Damn. Better for it to happen now and get figured out rather than later on when there are people aboard.

Not a great birthday for Elon Musk.

Jezbollah

So from what others have seen so far, it looks to be some kind of aerodynamic issue either at the front near the dragon capsule or the second stage. Looking at slow-mo, this is where the aircraft starts breaking up - velocity is obviously affected and the airforce would have sent the destruct signal.

Holy shit, I watched the launch from 528 near the Banana River and I had no idea it exploded! I even filmed the goddamn thing and thought it was beautiful. I stopped filming when I stopped seeing it (lots of clouds btw) and the crowd cheered shortly after. I guess it was from too far away to see the explosion and falling debris - it's certainly apparent on the livestream. What fucking bad luck for my first rocket launch.

Video's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQTjD59pMQ

DBT85

So from what others have seen so far, it looks to be some kind of aerodynamic issue either at the front near the dragon capsule or the second stage. Looking at slow-mo, this is where the aircraft starts breaking up - velocity is obviously affected and the airforce would have sent the destruct signal.

I'll just wish for them to tell us what went wrong. Trying to peice it together from a tiny spec in a wobbly video is pointless. It could have been any number of things that failed.

Musk always seems quite public about the failures so I'm sure this time will be no different.

I think it was the left dange flangle. Those always cause problems.

fizzik

Banned
Looks to me like the dragon capsule fired? (Or was jetissoned)

You can see it falling first through the cloud first time something looks wrong

i think What you're seeing there is a fairing. Been rewatching the video and my thoughts were second stage or crew abort system prematurely fired or exploded. First stage is firing well into the explosion.

NASA website says eastern range confirmed breakup of falcon and dragon, so yeah...

Bummer.

EDIT: More speculation - if you rewatch in slow mo, its possible you're seeing some burn though towards the top of the rocket a split second before it explodes. Could be a reflection, but its curious that it happens just before, and right at the area that seems to have failed.

Jezbollah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=141&v=u5Nk3b42NkY

^^ this is the much clearer footage I just saw from Sky.

From reddit:

"Preliminary amateur analysis of video footage shows that the likely source of the explosion was the second stage tankage. The airframe of the second stage appears to have failed, releasing propellants and the Dragon from the booster. In one hour's time we'll hear from the experts at the post-flight conference, who may be able to either confirm or deny this."

Flai

Holy shit, I watched the launch from 528 near the Banana River and I had no idea it exploded! I even filmed the goddamn thing and thought it was beautiful. I stopped filming when I stopped seeing it (lots of clouds btw) and the crowd cheered shortly after. I guess it was from too far away to see the explosion and falling debris - it's certainly apparent on the livestream. What fucking bad luck for my first rocket launch.

Video's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQTjD59pMQ

I'm pretty sure it exploded in that video right at the end.

Flai

Another billion dollars down the drain for fruitless attempts.

Lol what? The cost of Falcon 9 + Dragon is somewhere around 100-150 million dollars for NASA.

This was the first failure of Falcon 9 and it was the 18th flight. Not too shabby record IMO, although the failure was still very disappointing..

Lol what? The cost of Falcon 9 + Dragon is somewhere around 100-150 million dollars for NASA.

This was the first failure of Falcon 9 and it was the 18th flight. Not too shabby record IMO, although the failure was still very disappointing..
Helpful comment. This is SpaceX's first failure in 7 years, and the first for Falcon 9.

That pro-level context. Thanks gentlemen.

Concept17

Another billion dollars down the drain for fruitless attempts.

Not true. It doesn't cost SpaceX a billion dollars to create a single rocket.

The great thing about SpaceX is that the rockets are entirely assembled in-house using current technology and is about 1/3 the price of the nearest competitor. That and many others, like Russia, use really old tech to boot.

One failed launch is a setback, sure. But they'll get back up to speed. Getting to Space is actually incredibly hard, especially when you have 4 thousand pounds of supplies to liftoff.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

This mission was something like 1.6 billion.

Sunday’s attempt was the seventh mission under Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s $1.6 billion contract with NASA to resupply the space station.

edit: I guess that's the whole mission, not just this launch.

fizzik

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=141&v=u5Nk3b42NkY

^^ this is the much clearer footage I just saw from Sky.

From reddit:

"Preliminary amateur analysis of video footage shows that the likely source of the explosion was the second stage tankage. The airframe of the second stage appears to have failed, releasing propellants and the Dragon from the booster. In one hour's time we'll hear from the experts at the post-flight conference, who may be able to either confirm or deny this."

The only thing that bothers me, apart from the inconvenience, is that the dragon capsule was apparently destroyed. They might have to reevaluate the crew abort system.

Jezbollah

The only thing that bothers me, apart from the inconvenience, is that the dragon capsule was apparently destroyed. They might have to reevaluate the crew abort system.

One of their next projects for Crew Dragon is the in-flight launch system. Dragon v1 is unmanned, and have no requirement for an abort mechanism. They tested the pad abort system for Crew Dragon last month. The lack of such a system for Dragon 1 means a loss of cargo is an accepted risk for all CRS launches.

The more I see of this failure, the more I think it's a second stage issue - and Dragon v1 or Crew Dragon, they need (and will) fix it.

Helpful comment. This is SpaceX's first failure in 7 years, and the first for Falcon 9.

I'm thinking of another billionaire's venture into space with Virgin Galactic's failure and a death of a pilot.

We should accept the fact that there is no way we can land on Mars on chemical propellent ideas and stop wasting resources.

fizzik

Banned
Just as I suspected.

No idea what that means.

You can see from one of the views that the original "explosion" actually didn't combust, which implies oxidiser only. The fuel tank and actual explosion were probably triggered by ground control going by nasas website.

Edit: Beaten...

fizzik

Banned
I'm thinking of another billionaire's venture into space with Virgin Galactic's failure and a death of a pilot.

We should accept the fact that there is no way we can land on Mars on chemical propellent ideas and stop wasting resources.

I just cant...

This is akin to saying we should ban air travel because sometimes planes crash.

fizzik

Banned
One of their next projects for Crew Dragon is the in-flight launch system. Dragon v1 is unmanned, and have no requirement for an abort mechanism. They tested the pad abort system for Crew Dragon last month. The lack of such a system for Dragon 1 means a loss of cargo is an accepted risk for all CRS launches.

The more I see of this failure, the more I think it's a second stage issue - and Dragon v1 or Crew Dragon, they need (and will) fix it.

Yeah, I went back and checked the pre-launch footage and noticed the crew abort was absent, which i kind of have a problem with. I mean, i know it's going to add a couple of bucks to the launch cost, but if it had been present today, it would have been a really fucking good demonstration of how well it works, or doesnt.

EDIT:

Or is v1 not compatible with the crew abort system?

Jezbollah

Excellent.

I have http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv running in the background at the moment. Hopefully we'll see the press conference pop up soon after the half hour.

Yeah, I went back and checked the pre-launch footage and noticed the crew abort was absent, which i kind of have a problem with. I mean, i know it's going to add a couple of bucks to the launch cost, but if it had been present today, it would have been a really fucking good demonstration of how well it works, or doesnt.

EDIT:

Your reply reminded me of one of my favourite space videos :)

And yes, v1 is not compatible, it does not contain the Super Draco thrusters in it that the v2 launch abort systems use.

Mindlog

Just as I suspected.

No idea what that means.
Backfeed from the stabilizer system.
The turbopumps aren't supposed to do that.
Thus, counterintuitive.

I miss playing Balderdash. Holy crap, thread Balderdash support. I have to patent that. I'll make millions.

Flai

Probably not. It's being designed for v2 and making it work with v1 would probably cost a lot and require lots of testing & man-hours.

SpaceX is planning to try in-flight abort with the Dragon 2 capsule sometime before the crewed flight (even though it is not required by NASA), so I'm sure they'll get data from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom