• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One failure and private space flight is doomed. Chill out, geez.

This is a set back, no doubt. But "welp, only nasa can do this" is a flawed conclusion. Everybody blows up a rocket from time to time, it's part of the process.

Norml

There are air launch systems - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(rocket)

They have a number of advantages, but they're no less complicated, and only used for small payloads

Parachutes don't work well for landing something that's this big and fragile

Never even heard of Pegasus. Doesn't seem so bad,just need to go bigger!! Parachutes do suck,but if can save a good amount to reuse,might just be better off than having a whole ship explode every 5 trips.

KHarvey16

Never even heard of Pegasus. Doesn't seem so bad,just need to go bigger!! Parachutes do suck,but if can save a good amount to reuse,might just be better off than having a whole ship explode every 5 trips.

How do you go bigger? The thing rides on a giant converted airliner already.

Can I ask that you guys take this discussion to the Space OT, if you are no longer on subject (re the re-use of SpaceX's first stage)?

Thank you.

Talking about SpaceX's useless endeavours in their failed mission thread seems very appropriate.

But I'll end the discussion and wait for the next thread relating to this space issues.

Baby steps, dude. It's not 2001 Space Odyssey up in here.

Wait....

Also: With the staggering number of stars in just our galaxy alone, and the planets that we've already proven to orbit them, I'd say that's proof enough, that mathematically, life in some fashion exists. It's just a numbers game at that point.

We're not making baby steps. We're making the wrong steps.

Our priority should be solving Climate Change, and chemical propelled space launches aren't helping.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Talking about SpaceX's useless endeavours in their failed mission thread seems very appropriate.

But I'll end the discussion and wait for the next thread relating to this space issues.

Our priority should be solving Climate Change, and chemical propelled space launches aren't helping.

To make broad generalizations like "we should do x instead of y" is foolish. The goal is to make human life multi-planetary. It's a contingency plan in case there is an extinction level event on Earth.

Musk is already tackling changing the perception of sustainable transport, which makes your statement even more foolish since that relates directly to climate change. To go to Mars and to establish a colony, you have to launch something like a rocket a day for years. All of this work is going towards launching more reliably and establishing a greater human presence in space. Failure is inevitable in spaceflight. Giving up is not an option, however.

zeshakag

More engines and refueling midair?

So to gain 35000 ft we have:

The invention of a plane with twice the carrying capacity of our current heaviest cargo planes
Due to the great mass of carrying this thing, a large need for additional fuel and the inefficient expenditure of fuel
Even more expenses for the refueling plane

All while burdened by gravity drag. Instead of a flight profile designed around enduring the inefficiency of gravity drag for maybe 2 minutes (30 sec straight up then roll to a down range angle) with a much lighter payload, now:

A 10-20 minute ascent to cruising altitude, (let's assume refueling and deployment adds no time) then the deployment of the rocket. These ten minutes of energy expenditure solely go to gravity drag and add only around 200 m/s to its horizontal speed. And you're carrying more than twice the original mission mass. Because of the added height the rocket needs less of a vertical boost, and can get going faster due to lack of max Q problems, but it still needs to elevate as it takes time to accelerate all the way to 7000 m/s (human g-load constraints) before sinking back into the atmosphere.

Is all of that extra (expensive) energy expenditure worth 35000 ft and some 200m/s velocity?

CTLance

I've seen the video now. Amazing, in all the wrong ways. Like, there is so little left after they fired the self destruct charges inside the "fuel" cloud.

Shame that it happened, but at least it only happened with cargo, however valuable it may have been. Better iron out any design issues now.

I will not lie, this makes me excited about the eventual report about the cause for mission abort. Sure, I'd have preferred a success, but getting a predigested information dump from people digging through the vast interconnected systems of the missile is entertaining as well.

Also, I now want to play KSP.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Please, we're nowhere near being able to land on Mars too, and in the meantime, Climate Change will destroy us in the near future before we get anywhere.
While Climate Change can destroy us, we've landed on Mars a few times already. You really need to start making more cohesive arguments in this thread.

The more you look into deep space, the more dangerous it gets, and the more lifeless it is.
What's so dangerous about deep space compared to, say, a star corona?

Earth is a rare jewel in this Galaxy.
What does this have to do with space travel? Are you suggesting we should never attempt space travel because Earth is a unique planet?

legacyzero

Banned

WhyNotBoth.GIF

LOL The climate debate is clearly a separate one from the space debate, aside from the launches. Doesn't mean we should stop looking to the stars.

lol?

Quick everyone, tell all the scientists and engineers at spacex to get off their useless space loving asses and FIX CLIMATE CHANGE.

Also this LOL

besada

Banned
The Moon is still partially protected by Earth's magnetosphere, but it doesn't protected it all.

They were lucky. Two powerful solar flares were recorded, and in between them was the Moon landing. If the astronauts had been on the mission during the solare flares, the Moon would have been their grave.

That's why we never did another Moon landing. The mission was just some Cold War space race flaunting epeen.
We did five moon landings after the first one, actually.

Xe4

Banned
I'm sorry to bring this up a day late. I'm an astrophysics student, so a lot of what you are saying is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Finding sentient life on an Earth-like planet, atmosphere, and size within the Golden Zone of a proper star is not at all common. We're not talking about how life is formed, we're talking about the probability of another Earth.

If you find life on Europa, it sure as hell won't be sentient, and we definitely won't be able to live on it. Oh, and there's also the first problem of how to get to Europa because you'll be blasted with radiation on the way.

Err... what are you talking about. Maybe a few years ago, sure, but not today. It's incredibly common. We haven't even been looking that long, and we already have around thirty potentially habitable planets.

http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog

But what's the point speculating life existing outside our visible universe has space-faring capabilities?

Like I said, we see birds, so we know flight is possible.
We have no evidence in our visible space that there is anything living IN space.

Flight would be possible with or without looking at birds. Sure, they might have been an inspiration, but modern (and the original) aircraft act nothing like birds, and instead rely on knowledge of physics and engineering, just as spaceflight is. It's a technical/fudning issue, not a physical one.

I think the money is better spent accelerating the research on non-chemical propulsion no matter how far it is. That's my opinion when it comes to any Mars Mission.

You're half right. We do need to be spending more money and research on non chemical propulsion, it will be the future. But it is possible, and even very feasible to go to mars with "ordinary" rockets, again we're talking about a very difficult engineering problem here, not something that would require us to defy the laws of physics. You're seeing so many failures mostly because deep space spaceflight has very little funding. NASA gets .5% of the tax dollar, and it has to spend that between research, management, and improving rocket launches.

I'm still saying we're not going to be able to go that far from Earth without a solution to the radiation problem.

NASA did a radiation test with the Mars Rover and found that the radiation accumulated on the travel to Mars is lethal even with current radiation shielding technology.

I don't know your source, but I'm pretty sure the Curiosity Rover data reveled that the radiation dose was manageable, but would increase cancer risk than what NASA deemed acceptable. Where did you get that it was lethal?
http://www.space.com/23875-mars-radiation-life-manned-mission.html

Via SpaceX reddit:

Failure cause
Preliminary conclusion is that a COPV (helium container) strut in the CRS-7 second stage failed at 3.2Gs.
We analysed a lot of data, took 0.893 seconds before first sign of trouble and end of data. Preliminary failure arose from a strut in the second stage liquid oxygen tanks that was holding down one composite helium bottle used to pressurize the stage. High pressure helium bottles are pressurized at 5500 psi, stored inside in LOX tank. At ~3.2 g, one of those struts snapped and broke free inside the tank. Released lots of He into LOX tank. buoyancy increases in accordance w/ G-load. Data shows a drop in the helium pressure, then a rise in the helium pressure system. Quite confusing. As helium bottle broke free and pinched off manifold, restored the pressure but released enough helium to cause the tank to fail. it was a really odd failure mode. Investigation still 'speculative' at this point.
The investigation is not showing any other issues. But looking at everything to see if there were any near misses. no sign of any other issues with the launch, looking still for any misses. May have become complacent over last few years. Musk stressed that this is an initial assessment, the only thing that makes sense at this point. Continuing to investigate.

Fixing the problem
Strut about 2 feet long, an inch at its thickest point. Strut failed at 1/5th rated force, no evidence of damage to it in close-out photos before launch. Will not use these particular struts and will no longer trust strut certify. Don’t think we need to add more struts. Will test the future struts individually. Some additional cost as a result, but won’t be passed along in the price. Strut issue is fairly straightforward, switching to something with higher level of performance. part that failed was from a supplier, not made in house. did not name the supplier, was relying on certification from the supplier. Not going to move strut work in-house, but will move to a different design likely from a different supplier. There are 100s of suppliers of minor components for us. We can't make everything.
Strut failed at 5x below its rated strength. This strut was designed to handle 10,000 lbs of load, failed at 2,000 lbs. A failure at the bolt head most likely. Able to replicate by taking 1000s of these struts and testing; a few failed well below rated level. found a few that did not meet specifications. But this is early.

Return to flight

Musk won’t give a precise return to flight date until gone over all data. Could be back flying in a few months. He wasn't very specific. Move to strong strut alone means 'a few months' delay. But we'll look harder, get customer (NASA/USAF/FAA) input. Musk non-committal on when F9 will return to flight. First double-check other areas, then get customer input, then decide. No sooner than September for next F9 launch, not clear who customer would be. Could be some changes in manifest. This will not affect commercial crew timeline; this is not on the critical path.

TL;DR:

A Strut holding the helium container snapped at 5x below its rated strength. Helium released caused overpressure in oxygen tank. Will switch to different strut supplier and test each strut individually.

Bowdz

Good news for SpaceX, although it does illuminate their lack of inspection of each part from external suppliers. It means that the failed component didn't originate in SpaceX's internal production and the strengthening/change of manufacturer for the struts in future launches that is already underway should help restore confidence. Although this was a terrible LOM for them, I think it will ultimately lead to a more rigorous component testing regime across the board and in turn, lead to a significantly more robust design in the future.

Jezbollah

If left undetected, this could have happened on a Crew Dragon flight. At least they have stated with confidence that this is the likely cause and that it's relatively easy to fix.

Crispy75

Good news for SpaceX, although it does illuminate their lack of inspection of each part from external suppliers. It means that the failed component didn't originate in SpaceX's internal production and the strengthening/change of manufacturer for the struts in future launches that is already underway should help restore confidence. Although this was a terrible LOM for them, I think it will ultimately lead to a more rigorous component testing regime across the board and in turn, lead to a significantly more robust design in the future.

Some would tell you that the lack of this sort of QA is part of what lets them get their prices so low.

KHarvey16

You don't normally re-do certification on every piece of incoming material during acceptance testing. You pay the company you're buying from to certify it and maybe do spot checks. I mean, if you did test every piece you certainly shouldn't be paying for the part as if the supplier is doing it.

fallout

You don't normally re-do certification on every piece of incoming material during acceptance testing. You pay the company you're buying from to certify it and maybe do spot checks. I mean, if you did test every piece you certainly shouldn't be paying for the part as if the supplier is doing it.
True, although there is some expectation on SpaceX's part to have processes in place to ensure the reliability of the supplier and their parts, including audits, sample inspections, reviews of the supplier's procedures, etc. This is common in any regulated field.

Zaphod

I work in the process piping industry, and it is the same for us. We rely on testing reports and certification from the component manufacturer.

Crispy75

Tweets from a credible source say that the return-to-flight launch will be on the 15th December (in the middle of the night, local time). But get this - they want to make a landing attempt *back on the mainland*

The pad is all ready, the payload is light so there's plenty of reserve fuel. Hey why not? :D

Jezbollah

Superb stuff. Bit disappointing that it might be at night, but I think the landing site is a much better situation than a floating platform in the sea.

Tweets from a credible source say that the return-to-flight launch will be on the 15th December (in the middle of the night, local time). But get this - they want to make a landing attempt *back on the mainland*

The pad is all ready, the payload is light so there's plenty of reserve fuel. Hey why not? :D

Hype, they landed the last one on a moving platform but the leg snapped. It's going to happen. 2016 will be a huge year for Musk.

Crispy75

Good news is the Air Froce have approved the landing attempt. Just need FAA approval now, which they're optimistic about.

It's a much easier target to hit. Barge in red, landing pad in grey.

rOY556X.jpg

dalin80

Banned
Good news is the Air Froce have approved the landing attempt. Just need FAA approval now, which they're optimistic about.

It's a much easier target to hit. Barge in red, landing pad in grey.

rOY556X.jpg

Hitting the target hasn't been a challenge so far, hitting the target at a speed slow enough not to face plant the ground has been.

I thought the problem was the small size and that the barge had an unstable position.

Nope - on the last attempt* there was a problem with implementing the corrective instructions which lead to over-compensating in trying to get the right angle, leading them to land wonky. It wasn't really even too quick. See:

2brB6q.gif

They had another before where one of the legs didn't come out properly. As you can see though, they nailed the location very well (when you consider the vastness of both space and the ocean). That said, a larger landing area means they won't need to perform as strong corrective manouvres.

Crispy75

A bigger target means more leeway on approach. There's a very limited amount of time to get the dangle angle right. If you have to adjust position at the same time, you're reducing the amount of control you can dedicate to attitude.

Jezbollah

Evening all. Just a bumpage for our next attempt.

Return To Flight is set for tomorrow! Orbcomm OG2 is due to launch from Cape Canaveral on an instantaneous launch window tomorrow at 20:29 EST.

There are a number of firsts that SpaceX aim to achieve this time.

- It's the first launch since July's loss of CRS-7
- It's the first launch of the Falcon 1.2 (aka Falcon Full Thrust)
- It's the first first stage landing attempt at night
- It's the first first stage landing attempt on land
- It's the first first stage landing attempt at Cape Canaveral Landing Complex 1

What is Falcon 9 1.2?

It's a redesigned first and second stage version of Falcon 9. The rocket propellant tanks have been redesigned and have added 1.2m of height to the vehicle. "Why?" you may ask? Well, our brainy friends are going to supercool the daylights out of the fuel. The Liquid Oxygen (LOX) will be supercooled to -340f (-206.7c, 66.5k), the Rocket Propellent (RP-1) will be cooled to 20c. The net result is that they can put more fuel into the newly designed tanks, resulting in a 30% increase of thrust. This means that boost-back (and reusability in general) can be used in a wider range of missions. The Falcon 9 1.2 will also have a new second stage engine called the Merlin Vacuum 1D that will improve performance and improved attitude control.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the update, Dan! Man, they must be very, very sure that this is going to work if they're going to do it on mainland. Best of luck to SpaceX!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Return To Flight is set for tomorrow! Orbcomm OG2 is due to launch from Cape Canaveral on an instantaneous launch window tomorrow at 20:29 EST.

- It's the first first stage landing attempt at Cape Canaveral Landing Complex 1

What is Falcon 9 1.2?

It's a redesigned first and second stage version of Falcon 9. The rocket propellant tanks have been redesigned and have added 1.2m of height to the vehicle. "Why?" you may ask? Well, our brainy friends are going to supercool the daylights out of the fuel. The Liquid Oxygen (LOX) will be supercooled to -340f (-206.7c, 66.5k), the Rocket Propellent (RP-1) will be cooled to 20c. The net result is that they can put more fuel into the newly designed tanks, resulting in a 30% increase of thrust. This means that boost-back (and reusability in general) can be used in a wider range of missions. The Falcon 9 1.2 will also have a new second stage engine called the Merlin Vacuum 1D that will improve performance and improved attitude control.

Awesome. Best of luck to everyone.

sono

Gold Member
That's because it's a controlled explosion

Upper stage oxygen tank burst for some reason (the reason for the white cloud/dust you see from T+2:19)

SYwUIbI.gif

Following that range initiates flight termination system at T:2:27 ish (i.e. self-destruct)

Did they figure out why the upper stage oxygen tank burst ?

e.g failure at altitude due pressure differential etc ?

Arent these components tested on the ground prior to flight by the way ?

Sincere best wishes for the next attempt

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did they figure out why the upper stage oxygen tank burst ?

e.g failure at altitude due pressure differential etc ?

Arent these components tested on the ground prior to flight by the way ?

I think it was because of one part of the structure (which was done by a third party) not resisting the pressure or something. Because of that SpaceX now carefully tests every component in the rockets, and I think they make them themselves, rather than a third party.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was because of one part of the structure (which was done by a third party) not resisting the pressure or something. Because of that SpaceX now carefully tests every component in the rockets, and I think they make them themselves, rather than a third party.

The struts? I think they just changed manufacturers and are now testing everything in advance rather than relying on specifications. IIRC they found that many of the struts from the original manufacturer failed well below what they were rated for.

jotun?

A bigger target means more leeway on approach. There's a very limited amount of time to get the dangle angle right. If you have to adjust position at the same time, you're reducing the amount of control you can dedicate to attitude.

Yeah, during the landing, they're trying to zero-out a big list of things

- x position
- y position
- z position
- x velocity
- y velocity
- z velocity
- x rotation
- z rotation
- y rotation

With a bigger pad, they can at least turn two of the position variables into don't-cares once it gets into the acceptable area

Jezbollah

The struts? I think they just changed manufacturers and are now testing everything in advance rather than relying on specifications. IIRC they found that many of the struts from the original manufacturer failed well below what they were rated for.

Yep they changed manufacturers and basically dont trust any vendor certification for such parts anymore. They do their own testing of parts prior to integration. The annoying thing about this is that it was a tank in the second stage that failed - the first stage was fine and working perfectly. Even more so, the Dragon was working fine after the detonation - now they have put into place contingency that if the rocket detonates, they can trigger the capsule parachutes and save it in the future.

I found this diagram to show the launch profile for tomorrow.

Par Score

As much as I appreciate Elon Musk's approach to, well, life, it sometimes pays to take things one step at a time. This seems like a lot of things to bite off on your return to flight from a very expensive/explosive failure.

That said, I couldn't be hoping more that everything goes perfectly.

jotun?

As much as I appreciate Elon Musk's approach to, well, life, it sometimes pays to take things one step at a time. This seems like a lot of things to bite off on your return to flight from a very expensive/explosive failure.

That said, I couldn't be hoping more that everything goes perfectly.

There isn't much new with the primary mission other than the improved rocket

The landing stuff is all gravy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom