• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That was amazing.

Dare I say it, this was a defining moment for humanity.

Good job SpaceX! :)

A .gif for the kids...

1qd8OwJ.gif

RoKKeR

The long exposure photo is one of the coolest photographs I have ever seen. 660 seconds, f22, 100 ISO, perfectly captured... desktop wallpaper GET.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And I missed it for being sick as a dog.

Did they land in the suburbs? ; )

Lach

Wow. That came in much faster than I had expected. That is what we call a "Suicide Burn" in Kerbal Space Program....

Luigiv

Well technically isn't that the most efficient option, if scary to watch..

It is, though more importantly than efficiency, it's the only it can be done on such a powerful rocket. Unless they equip it with a low powered landing-only engine, it's impossible for the currently equipped engine to throttle down low enough for a slower landing. The rocket has too high a thrust to weight ratio to hover or descend at a constant speed, so the only option is to decelerate it all the way down so it hits 0 velocity exactly when it lands. decelerating too early will actually cause it to climb again.

It is, though more importantly than efficiency, it's the only it can be done on such a powerful rocket. Unless they equip it with a low powered landing only engine, it's impossible for the engine to throttle down low enough for a slower landing. The rocket has too high a thrust to weight ratio to hover or descend at a constant speed, so the only option is to decelerate it all the way down so it hits 0 velocity exactly when it lands. decelerating too early will actually cause it to climb again.
As exciting as it was too watch it succeed in kind of wanting to see this as I think it would be hilarious. "Prepare for touchdown in 3,2,1 aaaaand there she goes again..."

Amazing feat....

Looking forward what crazy things they are going to attempt next..

Really happy that Musk is using the crazy amount of money he has to get humanity going forward (at least technically).

I thought they knew it would work on land, but the sea landing was the tricky one.

Nope, it's the other way around (it's not any more complicated than you would think - the ocean can roll, the earth can't). But this was the first time they got approval from both the Air Force and the FAA to actually attempt a landing on land. The barge attempts were more of a work in progress, as well as being a useful contingency in the future in case of poor weather (so it can land somewhere else).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Shameless cross post:

Amazing feat of engineering, and achieved in a relatively short time. Trust Elon to do what governments can't.

Congrats to all the staff at SpaceX.

Landing on the barges was probably for safety more than anything - landing back at the Cape was always the intention eventually. What those failed landings proved is that it can hit the target, even if it doesn't survive the landing. I guess they were comfortable enough that they could avoid an unsafe reentry even if they crashed again.

Jezbollah

You cross post away :)

After some thought, I would go as far as saying that last night's landing is the biggest moment in rocketry advancement since the Moon landings. Achievement wise, maybe Curiosity landing aside, I cannot think of many bigger achievements.

Crispy75

After some thought, I would go as far as saying that last night's landing is the biggest moment in rocketry advancement since the Moon landings. Achievement wise, maybe Curiosity landing aside, I cannot think of many bigger achievements.

Flawed as it was, I'd put STS-1 up there. First flight of that whole system and they had pilots on board. Balls of steel and it's amazing they ever got that frankenstein of a machine to fly as reliably as it did.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I'm expecting ULA's pending capture of falling 1st stages mid-air with nets and helicopters to eclipse SpaceX's landing.

Jezbollah

Flawed as it was, I'd put STS-1 up there. First flight of that whole system and they had pilots on board. Balls of steel and it's amazing they ever got that frankenstein of a machine to fly as reliably as it did.

Holy shit, I forgot about STS-1. Ballsiest space mission ever flown by humans IMO. I would have had kittens watching that go up.

I'm expecting ULA's pending capture of falling 1st stages mid-air with nets and helicopters to eclipse SpaceX's landing.

ULA's solution will be interesting to see develop. The fact theres a disconnect between main engines and tanks is extremely interesting.

recovery-1024x639.jpg

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Seems like an overly complex procedure in light of this achievement. If the rocket can land itself, at the same site as launch no less, then surely that's far cleaner a solution that recovers more of the vehicle.

Mid-air capture seems like unnecessary heroics.

Jezbollah

Guys, I was being facetious.

I got a little hint of that ;) but when I thought about it, it will require some serious, SpaceX-like engineering that will be immensely impressive if they nail it.

At the risk of not knowing how much SpaceX can turn over a reusable Falcon 9 into a launch ready unit on second use, I don't suppose the ULA solution will be as financially loss-reducing as SpaceX.

I just saw Elon's landing site video. Only a few seconds, but again it shows the size of F9. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/679145544673923072

Schrade

I got a little hint of that ;) but when I thought about it, it will require some serious, SpaceX-like engineering that will be immensely impressive if they nail it.

At the risk of not knowing how much SpaceX can turn over a reusable Falcon 9 into a launch ready unit on second use, I don't suppose the ULA solution will be as financially loss-reducing as SpaceX.

I just saw Elon's landing site video. Only a few seconds, but again it shows the size of F9. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/679145544673923072

Video from that:

http://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/679145419507548161/pu/vid/720x1280/yfS-oXePH-ZOt0FS.mp4

lrt75914

Is this kind of recovery system really that feasible? I would imagine that the fuel requirements for a self landing lower-stage could significantly decrease the payload capacity of the whole rocket. It's an impressive system but I don't see how it could compete with the rocket platforms that are available today.

Crispy75

Is this kind of recovery system really that feasible? I would imagine that the fuel requirements for a self landing lower-stage could significantly decrease the payload capacity of the whole rocket. It's an impressive system but I don't see how it could compete with the rocket platforms that are available today.

Fuel is cheap. Rockets are not.

If your payload without recovery is 10 tonnes (say) and your payload with recovery is 8 tonnes, then you are going to completely dominate the 8 tonne payload market.

In this case, yes the payload was well within the capabilities of the (now upgraded) Falcon 9. But they will now also be able to do 1st stage landings after Dragon launches. If that's not a proper payload I don't know what is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX#Launch_market_competition_and_pricing_pressure

By late 2013, with a published price of US$56.5 million per launch to low Earth orbit, "Falcon 9 rockets [were] already the cheapest in the industry. Reusable Falcon 9s could drop the price by an order of magnitude, sparking more space-based enterprise, which in turn would drop the cost of access to space still further through economies of scale."[125]

Its basically fuel vs. destroying your rocket with each launch.

Jezbollah

The weight of the first stage when landing is a fraction of what it weighs at launch with all that fuel on board.

Plus, they have Falcon Heavy for the bigger payloads (SpaceX's competitor to the ULA's Delta 4 Heavy)

They have a plan, and it is sustainable compared to today's rocket platforms.

Plus it doesn't actually need all the much fuel - by the time the first stage separates it's pretty light as most of its fuel has gone (it's so light that the lowest available thrust from a single engine will launch it back skywards, thus the incredibly high speed at which it approaches the landing pad). Obviously it reduces the payload capability somewhat, but not too much (and they're being generous with their allowance now given the test-like nature of this launch).

The BFR will have capacity to spare, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom