• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
And the primary mission was a success as well. Awesome. Best case scenario accomplished.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Of this sort, yes. SpaceX has done some test landings, and Jeff Bezos' company managed a landing, but this is the first one during an actual mission, from that height, for that size rocket.

Ah, yeah... that's what I remember hearing about.

So, will SpaceX actually reuse this stage 1 in a future mission, or was its return strictly for test purposes?

I think second stage is orders of magnitude cheaper than second stage. Also I am curious to see how first stage held up and whether it is in good enough shape for re-use.

RyanDG

Wow. What an incredible feat. What a game-changer for the entire industry, with both SpaceX and Blue Origins paving the way for a really interesting time for the space industry.

Par Score

So, will SpaceX actually reuse this stage 1 in a future mission, or was its return strictly for test purposes?

The eventual plan is re-use, but I don't know what their immediate plans are.

This is the first one that made it back in one piece, so I imagine they're going to have a whole bunch of smart people go over it with several thousand fine-tooth combs first.

They just deorbit the second stage and let it burn up right? It's not a Dragon module that can survive reentry.
They are testing a new falcon 9 feature - second state engine relight - that they need for the future SES-9 mission. Originally they planned to fly SES-9 before OG-2.

But yes, they are using the relight just for a more controlled deorbit this time.

antonz

The eventual plan is re-use, but I don't know what their immediate plans are.

This is the first one that made it back in one piece, so I imagine they're going to have a whole bunch of smart people go over it with several thousand fine-tooth combs first.

Yeah I would imagine this will go straight to the labs to be looked at intensely to see what kind of structural stress from landing if any and a million other possibilities.

I imagine they will (eventually) try to reuse it, unless there are significant structural defects. I don't know what the odds on that are.

Ultimately, they want reuse to become routine. Baby steps.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
2DV0JFgl.png

Salty as hell lol

Lmao, both companies trying to downplay their accomplishments. SpaceX saying that it really didn't count because it didn't arrive to orbit, and now this hahaha.

Jezbollah

Lmao, both companies trying to downplay their accomplishments. SpaceX saying that it really didn't count because it didn't arrive to orbit, and now this hahaha.

I think SpaceX were really saying that if they're taking suborbital rockets, then the X-15 was the first to be launched and landed :)

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I doubt the returning stage will be reused. For one, it will probably be taken apart completely and analysed.

Second of all, they're going to need major certification and a very trusting partner to launch something with a "used" rocket. This may take some time and a few tests to show that it works properly.

Jezbollah

Confirmation from SpaceX that all Orbcomm satellites have been deployed to nominal orbits and have started transmitting.

Best return to flight ever.

Can't wait to see the GoPro footage (because you KNOW they slung a few into the first stage :) )

I doubt the returning stage will be reused. For one, it will probably be taken apart completely and analysed.

Second of all, they're going to need major certification and a very trusting partner to launch something with a "used" rocket. This may take some time and a few tests to show that it works properly.

I completely agree. You just know they cant wait to strip that first stage completely and analyse for wear and tear.

I wonder how much fuel they had left?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely. I'm glad that at least we have this first step ready.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it will probably be at least a few landings and test relaunches before we actually see a first stage get reused for a mission.

Still, the landing tonight was a big step on the way there.

Oriel

Boeing right now: "Fuck"

You're not wrong there. The pricks at ULA along with their supporters in Congress absolutely detest Musk and have been privately hoping for SpaceX to fail at every turn. They will have been watching tonight's launch and hoping for a repeat of Flight 19 but today's achievement will serve as the beginning of significantly lowering the costs associated with space travel.

When we see the Falcon Heavy regularly achieving this with its three cores Boeing/Lockheed will be forced to do the same, as will international competitors like Airbus/Arianespace.

2DV0JFgl.png

Salty as hell lol

Lol. Oh please Jeff, not this shit again.

dabig2

Amazing what humanity can do when it stops fucking itself over. Fantastic work by the Space X team!

This is momentous guys. Wernher Von Braun is smiling somewhere, along with all the other great pioneers that led us to this moment.

Sure, but what do you use to test how a used rocket performs if not a used rocket?

(I'm not saying you test it with a legit payload though...)

:lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You're not wrong there. The pricks at ULA along with their supporters in Congress absolutely detest Musk and have been privately hoping for SpaceX to fail at every turn. They will have been watching tonight's launch and hoping for a repeat of Flight 19 but today's achievement will serve as the beginning of significantly lowering the costs associated with space travel.

When we see the Falcon Heavy regularly achieving this with its three cores Boeing/Lockheed will be forced to do the same, as will international competitors like Airbus/Arianespace.

Yep. This is competition doing wonders for everyone. Except those who like the status quo.

I'm also glad SpaceX is slowly gaining the right for doing military contracts. Having 'first ever vertical stage 1 landing' will certainly help their case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom