• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotun?

When their Texas launch site is operational, they *might* be able to land the first stage in Florida, if they can get FAA clearance and convince the residents of the Keys that a 15 story rocket stage falling towards their houses at supersonic speeds is perfectly safe.
One problem (out of many) is that the first stage just doesn't go that far.

Florida is ~1600km from Brownsville, TX. They normally put the barge about 350km from the launch site. For yesterday's launch where the first stage flew farther than normal and didn't do a boost-back burn at all, they landed around 650km out, still not even half the distance they would need to cross the Gulf.

Crispy75

After a 2-launch break, they're giving this another go today. The main mission is ISS resupply, launch at 16:33 EDT. The landing barge is already on station and the they reckon they've got a "75-80% chance" of pulling it off.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just can't believe how often Space X launches shit and how quickly they can improve their technology. It would probably take them the better part of a summer break to do a Mars mission.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The audio is ahead on the space-x site, but the video is ahead on the youtube channel...

Clock on the corner is counting up, not down....

lednerg

Sounds like the weather might be a bit dicey with some lightning strikes seen just outside of the threshold area.

T- 12 minutes

EDIT: If they call it due to weather, they'll retry it again tomorrow at around the same time.

Melon Husk

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

Anvil cloud rule my ass. I hate these.

jett

D-Member
Launches keep getting scrubbed due to bad weather. Space travel is such a bitch on every possible level.

Crispy75

Launches keep getting scrubbed due to bad weather. Space travel is such a bitch on every possible level.
It's unfortunate that the best place for launching rockets in the USA has such changeable weather. That said, the Russians will launch in pretty much any weather.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's unfortunate that the best place for launching rockets in the USA has such changeable weather. That said, the Russians will launch in pretty much any weather.

Yeah, it's definitely just better to wait a day rather than lose a very expensive rocket, and yes, the Russians don't give a crap hahaha.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is there often inclement weather at Russia's facility? I was under the impression that it was a pretty good place weather wise to launch from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom