• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special Pokemon Cafe to open in Tokyo for a limited time

Forkball

They better serve berries.

pkcafe_top.jpg

To celebrate the release of Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, “THE GUEST cafe & diner,” a restaurant inside the Shibuya Parco building, will mega-evolve into a Pokémon-themed cafe for a limited time starting this January. They will offer a wide variety of meals, desserts, and drinks to fully restore the HP of all Pokémon trainers and their loyal Pokémon friends.

If you missed the Pokémon cafe in Roppongi last summer, now’s your chance to catch it again. The Shibuya Pokémon cafe is scheduled to be open from January 9, 2015 until the end of February. So if you’re a fan of the series, or just like to eat food with cute faces staring back at you, mark your calendar now. The cafe won’t take reservations, and they’re expecting big crowds, but based on what’s on their menu it definitely looks worth checking out.

There's a lot of pictures and menu items at the link, but I'll just post a few choice selections.

hamburg.jpg

Pikachu’s Favorite Hamburger Steak – 1,380 yen ($11.50)

We’re not sure how much choice Pikachu was given in deciding his favorite hamburger steak, but we can’t argue with what he picked. The hamburger meat is actually packed together with mashed potatoes and hidden underneath the Pikachu head, which is made of egg. Pikachu’s red cheeks are little peppers, and his ears are made of monaka, a crispy wafer. The orange cubes in the salad are Pokéblocks (basically candy for Pokémon), and the blue thing is allegedly a Rare Candy. The cafe can’t guarantee any leveling up as a result of eating it though.

flame.jpg

Primal Groudon’s Fireblast Mapo Tofu – 1,280 yen ($10.70)

The first non-Pikachu item looks pretty sizzling, with mapo tofu (fried pork and tofu with spices) surrounding the Pokéball in the pan. It comes with red rice and a fireblast-shaped salad, for maximum fire-breathing potential. Since it’s aimed at kids, it’s relatively mild, but if you’re a fire-type at heart, they provide some optional extra kick in a bottle for you to shake on.

parfait.jpg

Pikachu’s Electric Shock Parfait – 980 yen ($8.20)

If Pikachu’s sweet pancakes just aren’t quite sugary enough for your liking, then try this. It’s a giant wad of cotton candy stuck inside a mixture of mango mousse and pineapple gelatin. If the sugar rush doesn’t shock you into paralysis, nothing will.

latte.jpg

Hot/Iced Pikachu Latte – 680 yen ($5.70) and 780 yen ($6.50)

Choose from a hot or iced Pikachu latte. The hot one comes with a Groudon or Kyogre cookie, and the cold one comes with the horror of having to rip off Pikachu’s ears and drink his face.

The cafe is also offering a ton of other incentives to come visit, like the free coaster you get with each drink order.

And of course, if you bring your 3DS you get a special "Pokemon Cafe Pikachu" with Play Nice, Charm, Nuzzle, and Sweet Kiss. It's holding a Sweet Heart. I expect it to be banned from Smogon immediately.

Griss

20 years later, and Pikachu still looks like he was designed yesterday. Cutest bloody thing in the world. Those dishes are visually impressive, too.

Not sure what putting sweets next to gravy in a hamburger dish is all about, though...

also

Banned
Temporary cafes seem so strange to me. Do they think they won't get enough costumers unless they make it a limited time offer or something?
I always feel uncomfortable when they make food look like Pikachu. I don't want to eat Pikachu........
Imagine how Pikachu must feel
iZ4Khc6hIC7on.gif

(Polar Bear Cafe)

Pretty sure the same location was hosting a funasshi cafe a couple months ago, they probably just moved the bits of seaweed to make the bland overpriced food more Pikachu-esque

Aubergine

Neo Member

I'm really digging what looks like Dutch inspired clothing design on these coasters and promotional picture. It sure would be nice to snatch some of those up, but I'll agree that the food doesn't look all that appetizing. Something about forcing the image on Pokemon makes the food look unnatural, both in the sense that they are Pokemon, but also in the sense that I'm sure some extra processing of the food has to be done in order to make it look like that as cohesively as it does.

JoeM86

There's also a special Pikachu distribution there

This Pikachu comes with the moves Play Nice, Charm, Nuzzle & Sweet Kiss and holds the Sweet Heart item.

5amshift

Banned
Shit looks amazing. One day I'll visit one of the game cafes that pop up. Always wanted to go to the Monster Hunter and Resident Evil ones when they popped up.

20 years later, and Pikachu still looks like he was designed yesterday. Cutest bloody thing in the world. Those dishes are visually impressive, too.
Pikachu was a lot chubbier in the 90s so it is like most long term characters; the design has changed slightly over the years.

Top Bottom