• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculating on NetherRealms' Rumored Horror Icons Fighting Game

HotHamBoy

Ed Boon has mentioned, I believe more than once, his team's desire to take what they've done with the recent Mortal Kombat guest charactes to its logical conclusion by creating an entire fighting game around horror movie killers and monsters.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/jun/28/weve-been-accumulating-them-idea-has-been-coming-more-frequently-boon-speaks-guest-characters-and-making-horror-movie-fighter/

Personally, this concept is way more interesting to me than Injustice 2, but hopefully it happens after all. It's kind of surprising it hasn't happened already, it's a great idea. (Of course, I mean in the style of MKX, not Darkstalkers).

A friend of mine and I were wasting time discussing the possible roster and mechanics and such, and I thought it might be fun to have a thread of open speculation (and maybe NR will see it and get some ideas...lol).

Some of these characters would need some artistic license to amp them up, or some creative thinking in the vein of Frank West and Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. But I bet there are some cool, unorthodox movesets that could be designed.

Obvious inclusions:
Freddy
Jason
Leatherface
Predator
Xenomorph (fix its head, plz)

The public license characters like
Dracula
Frankenstein's Monster
The Mummy
The Wolfman

Other Licensed Characters:
Michael Meyers
Creature From the Black Lagoon (love the Kraken skin for Reptile)
Bride of Frankenstein
Chuckie
Pinhead
Sadako
Candyman
Ash from The Evil Dead (Army of Darkness version?)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (there's just not enough women...)
Pennywise
The Thing (your token Clone/Doppleganger character?)
The Fly (Cronenberg version)
Slither Monster
Beetlejuice

Maybe....
Herbert West: ReAnimator
Scream Guy
Demon from The Excorcist
Leprechaun!
The Crypt Keeper
Gremlins
Mars Attacks Aliens
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark!

Final Boss: Cthulhu!

Stages, complete with transitions and interactive elements that NR are so fond of (it works really well here, actually)
The House on Haunted Hill
Amityville House
Crystal Lake
Overlook Hotel
Dawn of the Dead Mall
Evil Dead 2 Cabin
The Cube
Event Horizon Space Ship
Jaws Harbour
Tremors desert (with surprise graboids!)
Children of the Corn field (with kids watching)
The Jungle from Predator (complete with hanging, flayed bodies)
Jigsaw trap room
Michael Jackson's Thriller Music Video
Mummy's Tomb
Dracula's Castle
Foggy Graveyard

Having monsters, ghosts, traps, etc. that aren't really appropriate as playable characters be part of stages seems like a great way to rep more franchises.

I know I'm overlooking stuff that should be included, and I know I'm including silly stuff. But I really want to play this (hypothetical) game!

I'd like to see how they would put that story mode together and who would be good and evil.

They should also throw in the voodoo dolls from Tales from the Hood.

Blam

If they really do it the character story mode should be hella fun and entertaining to play.

Rlan

Specifically the film versions of Dracula etc might require the Universal Monsters license, but I'm sure they'd be up for it.

It's a case where you can totally have Frankenstein if you want, but as soon as you want bolts in it's neck, Universal will be all over your shit.

drotahorror

Definitely one of my dream games but I just can't see it happening. I would buy the super special limited hundreds of dollars edition if it did though.

As been said already it would be a licensing nightmare to get a decent roster built up since a lot of the Horror icons are owned by multiple companies.

If they ever did manage to do it though I would be there day one.

Khezu

Ignoring the license problems, I just don't think they have the time.

Making it would mean 6 years between the next Mortal Kombat or Injustice.

At best(well worst I'm sure) the mobile team makes it.

MAtgS

Ignoring the license problems, I just don't think they have the time.

Making it would mean 6 years between the next Mortal Kombat or Injustice.

At best(well worst I'm sure) the mobile team makes it.
Nether realms could really stand to expand to 2 console teams. Still upset that wwe immortals will never get a console release.

LewieP

WB own Beetlejuice, right?

From the characters that WB owns, the ones they could likely license, and the sizable selection of public domain characters they could use, I'm sure there could be a reasonably decent lineup for something like this.

Spawn would probably fit in, too.

Specifically the film versions of Dracula etc might require the Universal Monsters license, but I'm sure they'd be up for it.

It's a case where you can totally have Frankenstein if you want, but as soon as you want bolts in it's neck, Universal will be all over your shit.

Frankenstein has never had bolts in his neck, only Frankenstein's monster.

Neoxon

The licensing issues would be the largest headache in the universe.
It'd make Capcom working with Marvel for the MvC3 games look like a walk in the park. But I'd be amazed if NRS could pull off a fighting game full of horror movie icons (from a legal standpoint).

antonz

Universal at one point was having a studio make a Horror Icons MOBA game. had Dracula, Frankenstein etc.

J-Tier

Jeepers Creepers
Norman Bates
Jack from The Shining

Hmm...it gets tough just limiting it to movies. If they decide to add game characters too (licensing nightmare the game)...

Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
Nemesis (Resident Evil)
Raincoat Killer (Deadly Premonition)
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Alma (FEAR)
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)

HotHamBoy

WB own Beetlejuice, right?

From the characters that WB owns, the ones they could likely license, and the sizable selection of public domain characters they could use, I'm sure there could be a reasonably decent lineup for something like this.

Spawn would probably fit in, too.

Frankenstein has never had bolts in his neck, only Frankenstein's monster.

Oh, good call with Beetlejuice!

I know the licensing would be a pain, but they've done pretty well, so far. Alien and Predator are Fox. Nightmare on Elm Street is New Line, who also distributed Texas Chainsaw, but I think Mellenium Films owns Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I'm unclear on who owns Friday the 13th, but it used to be Warner Bros. until very recently, interestingly.

Anyway, I don't think they need everyone I listed. They just need some of the really good ones and the public license characters. They could make some original rip-offs (like a generic zombie mall or haunted house). I definitely think Ash has to be in it, though.

Pinhead as some sort of hell sorcerer, though...

Also a good idea to throw in video game characters to make up for missing movie characters. What does WB have already?

And who would be the most appropriate MK guest character?

I always thought, what if they added horror game icons.. Oh the greatest thing ever. Not very likely... But damn!

Would love Nemesis/Pyramid Head.

When thinking of a fighting game starring horror movie characters, I always thought it would be really fun to control a group of Gremlins or even Critters. Maybe something like Tron Bonne and the Servbots in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 where you control a single character and have a group that follows your commands.

Why not bring in a bit of a Japanese influence as well and have the Ring/Grudge monsters along with Monokuma or (fuck Konami, yes yes I know) Pyramid Head?

EDIT: Oh whoops, didn't see him mentioned earlier!

Metalmarc

What big horror films does WB own? Not sure if they even have any, which would make licencing more of a headache with a big roster.

13 Ghosts (1960)
Annabelle
Beetlejuice
Black Christmas (1974)
Creepshow
Cujo
Eight Legged Freaks
Exorcist II: The Heretic
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Friday the 13th (1980)
Gremlins
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
House of Wax (1953)
Howling IV: The Original Nightmare
Innocent Blood
Night of Dark Shadows
Razorback
Taste the Blood of Dracula
The Apparition
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
The Conjuring
The Curse of Frankenstein
The Exorcist
The Lost Boys
The Shining
The Walking Dead (1936)
Them!
Twilight Zone: The Movie

Not enough

Raitaro

James Rolfe should be a guest character as well I feel, him or his possessed Mr. Bucket :)

Him and Mike might die of sheer bliss induced heart attacks if this game is ever made by the way, with their undying love for horror games.

As others have pointed out, this would be the worst licensing nightmare and therefore practically impossible. The idea is great, though.

DarkTom

Special guests for the NX version :

fpxM5YrISamufxS86Cb6_Luigi%20THUMB.jpg

Gave some of these suggestions in the KI thread already but hearing about this for 1st time I'm excited. I've wanted a game like this for years hope it comes to fruition.

Iron Maidens Eddie
The Creeper creature from Jeepers Creepers
Nun from Insideous 3
Horned creature from Insideous 1
Possessed doll more akin to Annabelle than Chuckie.
Clown Pennywise from Stephen Kings IT
Clowns from Killer Clowns From Outer Space
Twin children from hallway in The Shining
Regan McNeils possessed character from The Exorcist
Hanibal Lecter
Samara from The Ring
Old guy from original Poltergeist

Please do make a separate game, I hate seeing them in Mortal Kombat. Deneyed myself the dlc simply because I couldn't get a set without these lame bastards.

Top Bottom