• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Prompto

Banned
cedb032b7ade67554dbea963c832cc5d.jpg
It all makes sense now

I honestly think Feige is trying to do something to make sure those spinoffs don't happen.

I'm still hoping the spinoff still happen, but with Marvel having some sort of creative input. at least let Marvel do the script. Sony can produce a spider-man movie just fine imo. both Amazing Spider-Man movies while having a weak story, have solid production value, all the action scenes and cgi also looks great.

Neoxon

Well, consider my hype maximized.

Sony, better cancel those spin-offs & let Marvel print your Spidey money.

Busty

Banned
I was pretty much done with Spider-Man as a film franchise after Amazing Spider-Man and then ASM2 somehow managed to take my apathy and take it even further down into negative numbers.

But I have to admit, these reviews have actually piqued my interest again. Dare I say it I may go and check this out opening weekend?

im sad

where are all the anti mcu people

You're exactly what's wrong with all this 'Marvel vs DC' nonsense.

Urgh.

Snaku

Banned
im sad

where are all the anti mcu people

There are no anti mcu people. There are mcu people that love to shit on the dceu at every available opportunity, and dceu people that can't fucking stand those people.

As a mcu and dceu guy, can't fucking wait for Spidey.

Davide

Amazing year for comic book movies. I expected this to be the weakest and Spider-Man was my favourite Marvel superhero before Iron Man.

I have come to take MCU movie reviews with a grain of salt. Marvel knows how to make a movie review well it seems. Dr Strange sits at 90% for some reason. My only idea is they're really good at making 7 movies but aggregators push it up the % due to how they work. It's a really smart idea for hype.

Fool me once yadda yadda yadda.

Raguel

lol why? i loved WW and cant wait for Aquaman

i love seeing fanboy dummies fight on the internet though

I love the salt from anti MCU crew too and your enthusiasm for Spidey and the MCU but let's not shit up the thread with this. Just bathe in the glory of another great MCU with no steaks.

JL might not be BvS levels of trash but it's unlikely to end up being a good movie. Probably MoS-like, middle of the road tier.

It'll probably bite me in the ass, but I'm cautiously optimistic about JL. The executives now in charge of the DCEU came on-board recently, and the first project they were able to really shepard was Wonder Woman. Obviously, a lot Wonder Woman's success rests at Patty Jenkins' feet, but I think that's a good sign for JL and the future of the DCEU.

At least Garfield TRIES to throw some quips out there.

They sucked ass, but he tried. Tobey is just a giant sad sack.

I liked Garfield's quips.

"I'll be a god to them."

"…wait, God's name is Sparkles?"

Classic.

I have come to take MCU movie reviews with a grain of salt. Marvel knows how to make a movie review well it seems. Dr Strange sits at 90% for some reason. My only idea is they're really good at making 7 movies but aggregators push it up the % due to how they work. It's a really smart idea for hype.

Simply amazing.

Raguel

It sounds like you don't know how movies, reviews, or rotten tomatoes work...

Toxi

Banned
When was the last year this good for superhero movies?

Logan
LEGO Batman
Guardians 2
Wonder Woman

And now Spider-Man Homecoming.

Edit: Captain Underpants gets an honorable mention for its gorgeous animation.

Temp_User

I dont know why but reading through this part:

The appeal of this particular Spider-Boy is all too basic: In his lunge for valor, he keeps falling, and he keeps getting up.

. . . . . of Variety's review of the movie made me pre-order tickets for the Friday opening. I typically avoid noisy-ass opening shows but god-damn did that statement convinced me that Sony and Mahvel are doing something so right with this movie, that fuck it, i need to see it ASAP. Im not keeping my expectations in check for this one.

JimiNutz

Banned

While I am excited because I have a soft spot for Spider-Man, Doctor Strange having a 90% RT rating has helped to put things in perspective... I really didn't enjoy anything about that movie.

Raguel

I do but thanks for trying babe. 💖😍😘

"Dr Strange sits at 90% for some reason. My only idea is they're really good at making 7 movies but aggregators push it up the % due to how they work" contradicts that you do. Opinions and reviews, how do they work?

There are no anti mcu people. There are mcu people that love to shit on the dceu at every available opportunity, and dceu people that can't fucking stand those people.

As a mcu and dceu guy, can't fucking wait for Spidey.

And then there's the rest of us normies who just like good movies 😏

Or maybe we are just cowards and too scared to pick a side 🤔

I dont know why but reading through this part:

. . . . . of Variety's review of the movie made me pre-order tickets for the Friday opening. I typically avoid noisy-ass opening shows but god-damn did that statement convinced me that Sony and Mahvel are doing something so right with this movie, that fuck it, i need to see it ASAP. Im not keeping my expectations in check for this one.

Holland is going to be Deku but with less crying

While I am excited because I have a soft spot for Spider-Man, Doctor Strange having a 90% RT rating has helped to put things in perspective... I really didn't enjoy anything about that movie.

Again, a 90% doesn't mean it's a 9/10 movie, but that 90% of critics liked it at the very least. You just happened to fall into the 10% in this particular case. That's fine. It happens. The very nature of opinions means that you're not always going to be part of the 90% on a 90% film.

Why not? RT is a big part of the movie world. Look at how hyped people are by just seeing the number. You think studios don't notice this?

Please detail how Marvel manipulates the RT score, specifically. Your wildest thoughts on this, please.

Again, a 90% doesn't mean it's a 9/10 movie, but that 90% of critics liked it at the very least. You just happened to fall into the 10% in this particular case. That's fine. It happens. The very nature of opinions means that you're not always going to be part of the 90% on a 90% film.

I guess I'm surprised at how many don't know this.

Why not? RT is a big part of the movie world. Look at how hyped people are by just seeing the number. You think studios don't notice this?

Saying "our movie is at X% on RT!" isn't working Rotten Tomatoes. That's just advertisement.

Marvel isn't orchestrating their movie reviews, and believing otherwise is moronic as hell.

Bronx-Man

Banned
*Marvel delievers another stand-out movie*
"Too much fun!"
"They're graded on a curve!"

Please keep the shitposts coming. And by "please", I mean don't.

Top Bottom