• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr. Being paid over $80 million dollars to play Dr.Doom

ManaByte

Eh, that's just a name. Still zero evidence this isn't RDJ playing a slight variation of Tony Stark that just becomes Tony Stark in 2 movies.

No he becomes GOD EMPEROR DOOM

dszvznkwcz841.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
No he becomes GOD EMPEROR DOOM

dszvznkwcz841.jpg
Who strangely has mannerisms like Tony Stark, probably had Howard Stark as a dad but he died whwm he was a baby and his mom married some guy in Latvia and now he's Dr Doom instead of Tony Stark but when he realizes that he had an alternate path he comes 'round and is effectively a Tony Stark character again.

And when they do this comic scene above, it's Doom killing his henchman Thanos as he sheds his evil ways.

ManaByte

Who strangely has mannerisms like Tony Stark, probably had Howard Stark as a dad but he died whwm he was a baby and his mom married some guy in Latvia and now he's Dr Doom instead of Tony Stark but when he realizes that he had an alternate path he comes 'round and is effectively a Tony Stark character again.

And when they do this comic scene above, it's Doom killing his henchman Thanos as he sheds his evil ways.
Mental gymnastics to make Victor Von Doom into Tony Stark.

Kind of like the geniuses trying to do the same with Human Torch in Deadpool & Wolverine and trying to pretend he’s Steve Rogers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Mental gymnastics to make Victor Von Doom into Tony Stark.

Kind of like the geniuses trying to do the same with Human Torch in Deadpool & Wolverine and trying to pretend he’s Steve Rogers.
Eh, we'll see. Be fun to revist this thread in 3-4 years and see how it plays out.

You think RDJ auditioned for Doom and was SO DAMNED GOOD they just fell over and offered him 80 mill? Or do you think they were like "here's 80 mill to come back, do what yah want?" Vs "we need you back as stark, but we'll let you play Doom for a film first" The guy is almost 60, seems too old to be the big bad for a multi film arc that could last years. Gonna be a lot of stunt man in a suit and cgi I guess.

2 retired spidermen
1 green goblin
1 doc octopus
Electro
Loki (he was so dead)
Half the cast of end game.
Wolverine. (great death but not really eh?)

Didn't professor x pop his clogs only to show up in dr strange also?

Not all from the multiverse but point stands

You never dead in the MCU. Stakes have never been lower.
Thanos is going to come back to life and star in a Lil John music video.

Snap ya fingers, do ya step
You can do it all by yo'self, let me see you do it (ay)
Let me see you do it (ay)

ManaByte

Yes, audition tapes from 19 years ago and an entirely different studio and creative team...worth 80 mill.

Kevin Feige was involved with every Marvel movie since the first X-Men, that's how Fiege knew he auditioned for Doom 20 years ago. He didn't need to audition this time because Marvel already knew him. They decided to pivot to Doom in May and cancel Kang Dynasty then. They decided on Doom BEFORE going to Downey. They didn't decide on Tony Stark, they needed to get to Doom sooner than Secret Wars because Major likes to smack up his girlfriends. Then sometime in June they asked Downey and he said he'd only do it if the Russos returned, so they went to them. Had they not signed on to return they would've had to find someone else for Doom.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Kevin Feige was involved with every Marvel movie since the first X-Men, that's how Fiege knew he auditioned for Doom 20 years ago. He didn't need to audition this time because Marvel already knew him. They decided to pivot to Doom in May and cancel Kang Dynasty then. They decided on Doom BEFORE going to Downey. They didn't decide on Tony Stark, they needed to get to Doom sooner than Secret Wars because Major likes to smack up his girlfriends. Then sometime in June they asked Downey and he said he'd only do it if the Russos returned, so they went to them. Had they not signed on to return they would've had to find someone else for Doom.
So you are telling.me the role RDJ auditioned for in 2005, a slick, charismatic, egotistical, VAIN multi billionaire industrialist who gets encased in metal armor.....dude , he AUDITIONED PLAYING WHAT BECAME TONY STARK! What he did then, if you watched those tapes, was probably 90% what ended up in the Ironman role. So yes, what he is gonna do as Dr Doom now is just gonna be a version of Tony Stark, how can you not see this?

Ulysses 31

People keep saying this, but it’s been five years and they haven’t brought back any of the characters who died or retired.
They've not done the replacement thing yet, except with maybe Gamora, but they've used it for cameos and killing off important characters from other universes which don't really carry much weight because of that.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

2 retired spidermen
1 green goblin
1 doc octopus
Electro
Loki (he was so dead)
Half the cast of end game.
Wolverine. (great death but not really eh?)

Didn't professor x pop his clogs only to show up in dr strange also?

Not all from the multiverse but point stands

You never dead in the MCU. Stakes have never been lower.
Thanos got killed and brought back via the multiverse too!

ManaByte

Thanos got killed and brought back via the multiverse too!

No he didn't. Neither was Gamora. They're from the same universe. The multiverse didn't exist at the time of Endgame. There was no multiverse until Who Who Remains is killed at the end of Loki S1.

Ulysses 31

No he didn't. Neither was Gamora. They're from the same universe. The multiverse didn't exist at the time of Endgame. There was no multiverse until Who Who Remains is killed at the end of Loki S1.
Eh, is time travel that dramatically changed the outcomes of a universe really that different from a separate universe?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Eh, is time travel that dramatically changed the outcomes of a universe really that different from a separate universe?
"The Avengers were meant to travel through time" - Loki S1

After that they told him the time travel was meant to happen IN THAT UNIVERSE.

Loki was being pruned because he escaped with the Tesseract, which would've created a branching timeline. But the TVA existed (from Kang) to prune and destroy any alternate universes that were created like that. When the Kang variant at the end of time who was making that happen is killed, then they don't prune anything anymore and the multiverse exists.

All of these complaints are easily explained if you actually watched the shows instead of angenda-driven YouTubers who omit facts for narratives.

Ulysses 31

Loki was being pruned because he escaped with the Tesseract, which would've created a branching timeline. But the TVA existed (from Kang) to prune and destroy any alternate universes that were created like that. When the Kang variant at the end of time who was making that happen is killed, then they don't prune anything anymore and the multiverse exists.

All of these complaints are easily explained if you actually watched the shows instead of angenda-driven YouTubers who omit facts for narratives.

Yeah, there was no free will till the end of Loki S1, suuuuuuuure. I don't think these writers understand why the MCU got as big as it got in phase 3

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
For films and stuff, I'd say no. They don't have the time or focus to really show how different the character is like they may in a novel or long run comic.

RDJ is gonna act like Tony Stark playing Dr. Doom because that what the 80 million is for. If he was gonna play a totally different character with radically different mannerisms then Marvel could just hire any of DOZENS of villain character actors and save 75 MILLION dollars. RDJ is gonna deliver his Tony Stark performance, he has honed it to perfection across a half dozen films or more, and tying Doom back to Stark is the sell point to the broader audience.

I applaud Marvel for trying to "make sense" of why F4, the x-men, and who knows who else were just sitting around throughout Thanos and all the other world ending calamities seen in the MCU. But honestly, it makes no sense that Thor had to fight a GIANT ASS SPACE SHIP in London by himself, or Ironman had to save the president solo in IM3 (I think, right?), or all the other things that happen in solo films. The audience gets it, there are individual flicks and then there are team ups. We don't really need this convoluted multi-verse story because they are just gonna fuck it up, like how almost EVERY time travel story is fucked up, and how the TVA makes no sense but audiences are just kinda shrugging and waiting for good characters and good spectacle. Deadpool 3 shows that the "meta" narrative is not really important AT ALL, if the characters are good, the story establishes stakes and a proper 3 act structure, and the action is well done. They could just have F4 show up, the x-men show up, and no one is really gonna care where they were for Thanos. IF, that is, the characters are good and the story is punchy, things The Eternals didn't have.

clarky

Gold Member

Easily explained but still valid complaints.
Time travel, multiverse whatever. It will end up in a complete mess that makes no sense at all.
Like i said before it makes everything meaningless and lessens the impact anything thats happened before. I know half this shit happened in the comics and the same complaints apply there.

Why does Victor Von Doom look exactly like Tony Stark? I don't think that was in the comics? My memory of 100's of storylines from 30 years ago is a little hazy.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Easily explained but still valid complaints.
Time travel, multiverse whatever. It will end up in a complete mess that makes no sense at all.
Like i said before it makes everything meaningless and lessens the impact anything thats happened before. I know half this shit happened in the comics and the same complaints apply there.

Why does Victor Von Doom look exactly like Tony Stark? I don't think that was in the comics, my memory of 100's of storylines from 30 years ago is a little hazy.

The nonsensical timeline multiverse stuff gets pretty hard to resist when the source comics had it and now you're dealing with live action problems such as actors leaving.

But I want to see a time travel/multiverse story that actually makes sense if you pay very careful attention instead of just being a cop-out. Heck, even if it is a cop-out, write it well and have it make sense.

It would mean having to draft the whole story in advance before getting started. While these days they start shooting movies before even having the story in that one finalized.

clarky

Gold Member
The nonsensical timeline multiverse stuff gets pretty hard to resist when the source comics had it and now you're dealing with live action problems such as actors leaving.

But I want to see a time travel/multiverse story that actually makes sense if you pay very careful attention instead of just being a cop-out. Heck, even if it is a cop-out, write it well and have it make sense.

It would mean having to draft the whole story in advance before getting started. While these days they start shooting movies before even having the story in that one finalized.
Time travel stories never make sense. I do like them when done properly and at least make you think for a bit though. Like Time crimes or Primer for example.

Top Bottom