• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Downey Jr. Being paid over $80 million dollars to play Dr.Doom

BlackTron

Dude said he made 14 on another movie, 70 hours a week. I also said almost 4k, not exactly 4K but reading and math is hard. You also seem to keep ignoring my main point so Ill just ignore you.

I thought you were just repeating the same point which I already responded to. You did say "almost" 4k", and also "huge" exaggeration which if you do the hard maths you would realize it isn't.

In other words I can believe his comments come from a place of running out of money to buy shit, without wasting money or trying to live lavishly beyond his means.

Saber

Is he worth that kind of money?

Probably. He is the reason I watched Iron-man, never was interested in the franchise to begin with.
Its not the character that makes the actor, its the actor that makes the character.
As a sidenote, no way Disney would spent this amount without something to back up. They clearly have some trickery to recoup the costs, maybe almost illegal.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Probably. He is the reason I watched Iron-man, never was interested in the franchise to begin with.
Its not the character that makes the actor, its the actor that makes the character.

He'll certainly put asses on seats for Doomsday.

But if that has the writing and production quality of recent MCU efforts like The Marvels, Quantumania and Thor 4

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I think he probably is worth the fee too - but I think there are some roles where the character overshadows the actor - Spiderman being the most obvious one, none of the former Spiderman actors have gone on to great success and out of the context of being Spiderman, Tom Holland doesn't seem to be particularly bankable.

I expect that if Doom wasn't new to the screen and they were instead recasting*, they wouldn't need to pay the big bucks to get RDJ in and could get someone less well known to fans.

It'll be interesting to see how much Marvel want to spend on actors if they recast the avengers, or whatever, again.

*an established franchise.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
RDJ brings excitement like no one else in the marvel franchise and gets people into theatres. That’s worth a lot of money.

I love people coming out of the woodworks saying dumb shit like “I was a second assistant catering manager at Marvel and I only made 14 bucks an hour”. Yeah okay you idiot, your job is important too but do you really not understand the difference?
Oh, I agree that the RETURN OF TONY STARK/IRON MAN might be worth some scratch but we are being constantly told here that it will be a totally new character. RDJ in a film isn't worth 80 mill as he has shown that just his presence in a movie doesn't ensure a big BO. Same with Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, etc. It's these actors and THOSE ROLES that are the magic. Even the Russoa ain't lighting the world fire outside of the MCU, they ain't James Cameron.

This much money just securing talent shows how desperate the MCU is and how their "let's get indie directors and diverse new cast and heroes" has really backfired.

Saber

He'll certainly put asses on seats for Doomsday.

But if that has the writing and production quality of recent MCU efforts like The Marvels, Quantumania and Thor 4

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Yeah.
Not saying he will make this movie a blockbuster since this is modern putrit Disney with poo writting.
But when people see that they put Robert there people will probably watch for that sole reason.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah.
Not saying he will make this movie a blockbuster since this is modern putrit Disney with poo writting.
But when people see that they put Robert there people will probably watch for that sole reason.
Hugh Jackman coming back as Wolverine to massive $$$ certainly shows the market appeal, but if Hugh Jackman came back as Kang instead (and we knew this, it wasn't a marketing bait and switch) would it have worked as well?

BlackTron

This much money just securing talent shows how desperate the MCU is and how their "let's get indie directors and diverse new cast and heroes" has really backfired.

You love to see it. Will be even better if/when it doesn't work because they already ruined it.

The worst thing about companies losing their way is that they can afford to, all us drones will just come marching back should they ever decide to "fix it". There's nothing better than watching this not work because they already screwed up.

In my opinion...RDR in Avengers, but not Ironman just another character, is weird, desperation and a stunt. If they want RDR so bad, they should add movies to the timeline before he died. I think mass casual viewers will be nonplussed, possibly even conversations like "wait, Ironman is bad now?"

If the stunt does work, and I'm not sure because RDR isn't Ironman, it better be really good, sell it and make you starving for the next one because it's their main shot to get momentum back, then it's gone. Avengers 6 with RDR again won't matter if 5 was whatever, even if that movies does well.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
In other words I can believe his comments

Maximum naivety then if you believe things on the internet. Also the guy has a blue checkmark on Twitter which means hes paying for it, so yeah, kinda hard to make me fall for the poor guy sthick when hes paying for a social platform lol.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Maximum naivety then if you believe things on the internet.

I had this big long explanation that involved hard maths to substantiate why I believed what he said. Part of the calculation came from your assertion that he made 4k/m, which admittedly could have been bogus if you calculated that off something you saw on the internet.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I had this big long explanation that involved hard maths to substantiate why I believed what he said. Part of the calculation came from your assertion that he made 4k/m, which admittedly could have been bogus if you calculated that off something you saw on the internet.

Read the edit. My point still stands tho, so lets agree to disagree then.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I thought disney are woke af? So the woke signalling cant redistribute income more fairly?

Just continue talk the woke and slave drive them rats

Proofits > Morals.

As soon as Black Rock ceased to exist all companies would abandon any 'Woke Agenda'. Companies dont give a shit to rights of LGBTQ+ people

Toons

On one hand he was making 70m back before endgame even released. He made 70m for Civil War.

On the other hand these "unnamed bur knowledgeable source" articles i generally find unreliable and too vague to matter.

Toons

That doesn't have much bearing on a multibillion dollar multinational corporation that is publicly traded and prioritizes profit over all else.

It also doesn't really make any sense.

Wages aren't just a think where the Mouse says "pay everyone 100 dollars an hour"

Its an economy system that involves competitive salaries, shareholder approvals, health plan setup and distribution, etc. Has nothing to do at all with "woke"

That said they need to unionize. If enough of em do it they can make a difference i think.

ManaByte

It also doesn't really make any sense.

Wages aren't just a think where the Mouse says "pay everyone 100 dollars an hour"

Its an economy system that involves competitive salaries, shareholder approvals, health plan setup and distribution, etc. Has nothing to do at all with "woke"

That said they need to unionize. If enough of em do it they can make a difference i think.
There's no way they're ever going to pay the person fetching coffee for a producer millions of dollars.

"I worked on a movie!" No, you were a gopher who went and picked up a low-level producer's coffee and brought it to them. You were basically an expendable butler.

Last edited:

Toons

There's no way they're ever going to pay the person fetching coffee for a producer millions of dollars.

"I worked on a movie!" No, you were a gopher who went and picked up a low-level producer's coffee and brought it to them. You were basically an expendable butler.

No, they won't be making a million. Bur they can be making more than 12. I make more than that at a gas station selling Snuff cans to old guys.

If they don't need em there then don't hire em. If they need em there make it worth their while. This company has the money.

Fbh

Gold Member
Is he worth that kind of money?

Absolutely. Him being there probably already made the movie an extra billion compared to what it would have done otherwise.
Bringing back beloved actors and doing cameos seems to be the way to make money these days.

Look at the success of Deadpool 3 which is entirely built on "Hugh Jackman is back.... and cameos!"
Look at Spiderman No Way Home: Awful movie but they got actors from the older movies to appear an made almost 2 billions

ManaByte

No, they won't be making a million. Bur they can be making more than 12. I make more than that at a gas station selling Snuff cans to old guys.

If they don't need em there then don't hire em. If they need em there make it worth their while. This company has the money.

A lot of the time they're not even really working for the company though. They're "contractors" working for a temp agency and then they play it off like they really work for the company to make their resume look better.

I know Marvel used to hire contract personalities for their YouTube show The Watcher and they specifically had a rule that they couldn't put that they were employed by Marvel on their resume. One host did that, Marvel fired her, now she has a big YouTube channel where she shits on them and Jessica Chastain every day.

Fake

Gold Member
Thats the way Disney will be move foward. Hiring old classic actors and make sequel of already beloved IPs. Probably have something in common with what happening or will happens in USA this end of year.

Lambogenie

The whole cast was getting too expensive I believe, RDJ obviously being the worst offender. Looking like a big mistake getting rid so far.

Saying that though i thought they had great endings for Iron man and Captian America. Obviously though this multiverse bollocks lessens that when they can just bring anyone back at anytime. Bringing him back now just exacerbates the issue for me, after thinking about it. What's the point in any of this?
Because it's entertaining. Any comic fan knows this is always an option.

If RDJ does to Doom what he has done to Iron Man - the next actor will have a big trouble surpassing him. After all - who can you hire now as Iron Man's actor at this point?

And even that "idea" that some people have that he might be an "alternative universe Tony Stark" would imply that you need another Doom who has to overshadow RDJ. I don't buy it.

ManaByte

who can you hire now as Iron Man's actor at this point?

Marvel really, really tried to get Tom Cruise as Superior Iron Man in Multiverse of Madness, but filming during COVID in the UK made it impossible.

Cruise was going to produce in and star in an Iron Man movie for Paramount in 1998, a decade before RDJ played the character, and Marvel really wanted that cameo to happen in the Illuminati scene.

Marvel really, really tried to get Tom Cruise as Superior Iron Man in Multiverse of Madness, but filming during COVID in the UK made it impossible.

Cruise was going to produce in and star in an Iron Man movie for Paramount in 1998, a decade before RDJ played the character, and Marvel really wanted that cameo to happen in the Illuminati scene.
True but I think RDJ is basically Iron Man at this point. Just like Wolverine is basically Hugh Jackman until he is really really old.

Personally I think Marvel should invest more in other characters. Though it is hilarious how Iron Man went from the second tier character to the titan holding the MCU.

ManaByte

True but I think RDJ is basically Iron Man at this point. Just like Wolverine is basically Hugh Jackman until he is really really old.

Personally I think Marvel should invest more in other characters. Though it is hilarious how Iron Man went from the second tier character to the titan holding the MCU.

This isn't Iron Man as Doctor Doom. It's Doctor Doom.

wipeout364

Marvel should just stop and reboot at this point. The costs have become out of control and the risks so high.

My biggest concern is the writing coming out of Disney has been terrible so even with a reboot they would struggle but at least they could have some of the marquee names back captain America, iron man etc and not have to spend so much money.

ManaByte

Marvel should just stop and reboot at this point.

They'll never do a hard reboot. But like in the comics Secret Wars will probably end with an all new MCU universe where the Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four all exist in the same universe for the first time.

wipeout364

They'll never do a hard reboot. But like in the comics Secret Wars will probably end with an all new MCU universe where the Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four all exist in the same universe for the first time.
I know what you are saying but paying RDJ 80 million to play Doctor Doom seems insane. Dr. Doom is a character you could base 10 movies around are they going to keep paying him escalating fees for those movies.

ManaByte

I know what you are saying but paying RDJ 80 million to play Doctor Doom seems insane. Dr. Doom is a character you could base 10 movies around are they going to keep paying him escalating fees for those movies.

He's making $100M plus back-end on the next two Avengers. AND he's likely in F4 and whatever is releasing between that and Doomsday.

What I meant the character of Iron Man is basically RDJ at this point. Like they probably cannot even recast and bring people to the theaters. People came to watch Iron Man due to RDJ. Same with Wolverine.

Granted maybe de-aging tech will become good and they will just constantly reuse his model.

If Doomsday is successful and Secret Wars too then he will be Doom until he is 90s or something. It is not like he has to show his face all the time.

There is an arc in marvel where stark and doom are switched. Manabyte probably knows it I haven’t read it. I read mostly DC now because of how Disney has wrecked the characters.
Infamous Iron Man or something? That's the biggest questions - some people think that he will be that Dr Doom and not the real one. But I don't think the "real" one will bring people to theaters.

Though again they might get lucky with casting - none of new characters post Endgame has become successful though.

Last edited:

kapshin

He's right, I have worked in major tech companies I got paid a wage and the CEO made millions, where is my money? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do you know? How do you know that a major plot point isn't going to be showing Doom how he COULD have turned out, had Pepper, been the hero, and had a kid? Whether it works to determine Doom from destroying the place is debatable, but I think it's 100% likely they will try this tactic.

And even if they DO collapse all the universes into one, are we just never going to have Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Romanov, T'challa, or any of the other 'retired' characters ever again? They gotta get to a point where they can have perpetual characters with revolving actors playing them. Otherwise why deal with this multiverse crap in the first place? Just ice the avengers and xmen films for 10 years while you do F4 and other heroes, then do a 10 year run of xmen stuff, then restart the avengers, etc. No way they can adequately build f4, xmen, avengers, and the cosmic side all together AND afford to keep these casts around. Marvel is too large for essentially a single film thread that just shifts focus with frequent team ups. That trick worked once, but now the actors are wise to it and the costs are MASSIVE.

ManaByte

How do you know?
"We give you the one person who could play Victor von Doom."

We also know he's 99% in Fantastic Four, which is set in an alternate universe 1960s. So that will explain where he came from and he wasn't Tony Stark.
And even if they DO collapse all the universes into one, are we just never going to have Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Romanov, T'challa, or any of the other 'retired' characters ever again?

That's the whole point of Secret Wars. There will be a new Iron Man, Cap, etc but characters who were still alive at the time of Secret Wars will continue on. So Hemsworth will still be Thor, but there will be a new Black Widow.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Was easily the smartest move they could make to get the mcu out of the hole.

must be a lot of crying going on over there at Disney .. it got so bad they needed " white male saviors " in the Russo brothers and downy ..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Wait so they didn't want to pay him to keep being Iron Man because they are notoriously cheap so they wrote him out along with all the other originals but now they are going to pay him $80M to bring him back as someone else?

Disney deserves every bit of their stock price crash the past 5 years

Top Bottom