• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

spiral_knights_knight_1152x720.jpg

Release Date: April 4th, 2011

Platforms: PC/Mac/Linux

Developer: Developed by Three Rings (Puzzle Pirates, Bang! Howdy), published by SEGA (Jet Set Radio)

Story: The Spiral Knights have awoken on an alien world. Their equipment stores have been raided and their starship, The Skylark, will not recover from the crash. Now they must work together to survive on a journey that will take them to the very core of the world.

System Requirements:
Windows & Linux
Windows XP, Vista or 7
Java 1.5
Display 1024x600
1.3 GHz processor
Graphics: 64mb Video Memory. GeForce 5 series, ATI Radeon 8500. Latest video driver.
Memory: 512mb for Windows XP or 1gb for Windows Vista/7
300MB Hard drive space

Mac
OSX 10.4
Java 1.5
Display 1024x600
1.3 GHz processor
Graphics: 64MB Video Memory. GeForce 5 series, ATI 8500. Latest video driver.
1GB memory (1000MB)
300MB hard drive space

How does it play?

Like a mix of Zelda and PSO. The game has a top-down perspective with real-time action combat. You swing your sword, block attacks, use items, etc. in real-time. No auto-attacking, no auto-aiming unless you count the lock on button. You create your character, hook up with friends, and proceed to go spelunking in dungeons beating up helpless creatures for loot. You monster.

System Mechanics

Spiral Knights has somewhat nontraditional RPG mechanics. I'll detail some of them here.

Leveling: Your character does not level. Instead, your equipment gains "Heat Levels." "Heat" is the XP picked up from killing monsters. It is important to note that you do no actually "gain" your heat until you complete a floor. If you die and choose to go back to town without completing a floor, you will lose all the heat you gained on that floor. As your equipment levels it will unlock some special attacks or attributes. Later on in the game, this becomes important for crafting. Speaking of...

Crafting:

Crafting is a very important aspect of the game. Creatures don't drop loot in Spiral Knights, they drop materials. You then use these materials to create all your gear. There are some items that you can buy from vendors, but for a lot of equipment you'll need to craft it. Many "high end" recipes are part of trees that require a previously crafted item for the recipe. Sometimes this calls for said item to be of a specific Heat Level.

Minerals and Gate Creation:

There is a rotating set of levels for each dungeon and players can influence what levels are available. Minerals are items that you get while playing in the Clockworks levels. There are five types: crimsonite, moonstone, valestone, luminite and dark matter.

Gates are entry points into the Clockworks. There are two kinds of gates: dormant gates and active gates.
By using minerals, knights power up dormant gates turning them into active gates ready for exploration and adventure. Dormant gates allow for 8 days of gate construction before becoming active gates. You can see an exact day:hour:minute:second indicator in the display when interacting with the mineral deposit box.
Each gate has a display monitor with a mineral deposit box. You can deposit minerals into a dormant gate by interacting with the mineral deposit box. Minerals can be directed to one of six stratums of floors.

Each stratum can hold a certain number of minerals, generally fewer minerals on lower number stratum. The number of minerals in a stratum will vary by gate and game developers have commented that it fluctuates based on the number of minerals spawned in dungeons during the previous week.
Once there are enough minerals deposited to a stratum (about 10% of what is needed), that stratum will begin to display its current theme that results from the current mineral ratios deposited in the stratum. This theme will affect all the levels that will be created for that part of the tier once the gate launches.
Once the stratum has reached its maximum number of minerals, it will lock, no longer allowing mineral deposits and the theme cannot change.

Using this players can "force" certain themes and thus certain monster types (which drop certain materials).

Energy aka "Is this game reaaaally free?":

Energy is used for everything in the game from crafting items to operating the elevators used to descend into dungeons. There are two forms of energy--Mist energy and crystal energy. Every player starts with 100 mist energy and it is replenished gradually over a 24 hours. A player cannot have more than 100 mist energy. Crystal energy is essentially how the game is monetized. Crystal Energy is purchased with real money, HOWEVER, can also be traded in-game for Crowns, the game's currency OR simply traded between players. Crystal Energy doesn't expire and it stacks, so you can have 100s and 100s of it.

And that pretty much covers the game.

Screenshots and Video:

ss_11.jpg

ss_15.jpg

ss_14.jpg

ss_5.jpg

ss_2.jpg

ss_4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcDGIUDB0Xw

How can I play?!: The game is launched from your browser. Just head to www.spiralknights.com

And there you go. Early access starts tomorrow, April 1st for everyone who was in the Preview Event (the closed beta, basically). The official release is the 4th.

Teknoman

Im ready. The game is fun and has a great 8-bit infused soundtrack, and anyone that is a fan of Diablo/old school Zelda/ Phantasy Star Online needs to jump in.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This game is super awesome if you are an OCD loot/customization whore like I am.

I gave this a go in the preview weekend. Aesthetically it's fine and the controls are solid. The gameplay just didn't grab me, though. When it comes to exploring and upgrading, I'm more motivated by quests and they ended pretty quickly when I played. "Okay, get to the first terminal down. Done that, now what? Oh...just keep doing that I guess." A game like Diablo II constantly pushes you to beat this boss, get to this area, and so on. Ditto Zelda - quests and bosses. Maybe they've added more quests after the preview weekend - I shall indeed be checking it out again - but if they just let you do the tutorial and then say "okay, keep heading down and enjoy" I probably won't stick around too long.

Nabs

I put about 12 hours into the beta (all with the 360 pad). It's a lot of fun with a few buddies.

SamuraiX-

Looks like something I could get into... if it was still 1998.

No offense to the game at all, I'm sure it must be awesome, but I just don't think I could bring myself to get past the technical design. :(

Big props to Three Rings and SEGA for making this available as a free RPG experience though. Looks like a quality title in terms of team gameplay.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Three Rings is an amazing developer and are all really great guys to boot. Will be checking out the game based on their pedigree alone (Puzzle Pirates was/is sublime).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SamuraiX- said:
Looks like something I could get into... if it was still 1998.

No offense to the game at all, I'm sure it must be awesome, but I just don't think I could bring myself to get past the technical design. :(
The 'kiddie graphics' stigma lives on. Battlefield Play4Free is for you.

L00P

Keeping my eye on this. It would have been nice if you created this thread in the 4th instead X)

"Keeping my eye on this. It would have been nice if you created this thread in the 4th instead X)"

Oh noes, 3 days. When the game has early access going on right now.

"Do I have to use joy2key if i want to use a 360 controller? It doesn't seem to recognize it."

I'm not using joy2key, just plugging in and mapping it.

"Looks like they increased all the prices so that free players wouldn't get weapons and items so easily."

It didn't work very well. The crystal energy -> Crowns exchange rate is mad low right now.

Sanjay

I played the beta, I liked the graphics, music and the levels at first were great but after awhile it seemed like your doing the same thing again and again. The set-up came off very grindy too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Registration doesn't seem to work.

We got any kind of group going on in this game? I really want to try it

edit: Got it working. Games pretty fun. Kind of reminds me of Echoes of Time plus Phantasy Star Online. Music and art style are fantastic

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played through a bit of this, this morning. A nice little dungeon crawler, it seems.

Is there a GAF guild? Seems fairly cheap to create one, although energy is necessary. It seems like that would be the best way for us to keep in touch and run dungeons with each other...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stoked to go home and try this out. Me and my friends have been looking for the right coop game to scratch the itch for a good simple game to get into. This might do the trick.

Bisonian

Created and went through the first dungeon with a randomly assigned party and it was extremely well done. I really like the graphics style, and the music is wonderful. A few light puzzles, a lot of good action, I'm very very impressed for a free to play game.

That being said, can someone with a little more experience advise on what the smartest way to spend early crowns is? Save it for energy, buy patterns for crafting or just straight out buy replacement weapons?

"That being said, can someone with a little more experience advise on what the smartest way to spend early crowns is? Save it for energy, buy patterns for crafting or just straight out buy replacement weapons?"

Save for energy and recipes. Don't bother crafting/buying any items lower than 2*.

I'll make the GAF guild soon.

Bisonian

Teknopathetic said:
"That being said, can someone with a little more experience advise on what the smartest way to spend early crowns is? Save it for energy, buy patterns for crafting or just straight out buy replacement weapons?"

Save for energy and recipes. Don't bother crafting/buying any items lower than 2*.

I kind of suspected that the stock weapons/armor you buy were junk and too expensive, thanks for the confirmation. Looking forward to the GAF guild.

Mr. Hyde

Teknopathetic said:

Thanks for the tips. I'll join the guild whenever you get it going.

Probably not getting the full experience since I've just been running solo, but I've been enjoying the game so far. Just got to a point where I'll need to have 2* equipment to progress any more. Any advice on which armor/weapon paths I should focus on?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If anyone's curious, you can play the game with a 360 controller. Doesn't really seem any better or worse outside of menu navigation.

A guild would be ideal because there seems to be no automatic power up/energy sharing so it leads to a lot of greed. Wish they had like Darkspore where it auto distributed it

"A guild would be ideal because there seems to be no automatic power up/energy sharing so it leads to a lot of greed. Wish they had like Darkspore where it auto distributed it"

Heat (not energy) and money are evenly distributed between everyone, regardless of who picks it up. Pick ups aren't, but they're temporary and only exist in your current dungeon run anyway. You don't pick up energy in dungeons, that's what you use to go down into dungeons.

Bisonian

Teknopathetic said:
"A guild would be ideal because there seems to be no automatic power up/energy sharing so it leads to a lot of greed. Wish they had like Darkspore where it auto distributed it"

Heat (not energy) and money are evenly distributed between everyone, regardless of who picks it up. Pick ups aren't, but they're temporary and only exist in your current dungeon run anyway. You don't pick up energy in dungeons, that's what you use to go down into dungeons.

What about crafting materials, how does that distribution work? Thanks for answering our remedial questions.

"What about crafting materials, how does that distribution work? Thanks for answering our remedial questions."

Crafting mats are randomly distributed throughout the party.

Actually, saying that heat and money are evenly distributed between the party is a bit misleading, as it doesn't "split" anything. If there's a 5 crown coin, everyone gets 5 crowns.

Einbroch

Banned
This game is great! Loot, crafting, item leveling, hard modes are actually hard...

Only downside is there's no "kick" command. Someone can just stand there and not let the group advance.

vertopci

Einbroch said:
This game is great! Loot, crafting, item leveling, hard modes are actually hard...

Only downside is there's no "kick" command. Someone can just stand there and not let the group advance.

There is a kick option. Only party leader can kick though.

Also Dudebros is the best guild in the game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just tried this out. So charming, yet so simple. Love it. The dungeons are particularly fun too, nothing too crazy, but definitely not redundant either.

I can see myself playing this for quite a while.

Does your mist energy regenerate 100% on 24 hour intervals, or does it gradually regenerate across the day to a maximum of 100% regenerated per 24 hours?

Top Bottom