• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

I Am Now

Banned
SolidEyeSystem said:
Going to send out friend requests, my handle is Marceline.
Haha, I was wondering who you were.

Also, to anyone confused by the daunting task of choosing your equipment, the Wiki Page is a huge help. You can plan out what armor you want to end with, as well as what monsters drop which material you're looking for.

Happy hunting!

XeroSauce

IGN: Falerix

I really love how the crafting system is nice and simple. Just wish we had more energy to bank on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ivysaur12 said:
Wow this game is great. Really impressed that something free could be so good.
Refined is the word that keeps coming to my head. Really, everything is so well done, it has satiated my taste for a free coop RPG-ish action game like nothing else has.

White Man

teeveecee

Haven't played for more than a half hour yet. Interested to see how quickly energy drains. Think it was at 95 or so after the training level in the first camp.

Just in case someone wants to launch Spiral Knights through Steam:

Click Add Non-Steam Game
Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\"
Add "javaw.exe"
It should come up as Spiral Knights in your Steam Library
Right-click Spiral Knights & click Properties
Change Target: to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-pro.jar
Change Start In: to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\spiral

*This was done on Windows 7

If you have trouble, put the Spiral Knight's launcher shortcut on your desktop.
Right-Click the shortcut, & go to the Shortcut tab
Look at the Target: box to find the location of your javaw.exe
Once that is added to Steam, Copy & Paste your Start In: bar into Spiral Knight's Properties on Steam.

Wah-Lah! Launch and enjoy Steam's overlay! I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Name is Dakula. I'm about to go on right now.

I won two powerful guns during the last preview weekend. It was cool to win that raffle, as I don't have good luck with those kinds of things!

I had a lot of fun playing before, but it was getting a little repetitive, especially playing with randoms. Joining a GAF guild might just hit the spot.

hehehe I came in expecting something totally different. I downloaded the game and just finished the practice thing. My name is Adnan937

AcciDante

ArtistDude88 said:
Just in case someone wants to launch Spiral Knights through Steam:

Click Add Non-Steam Game
Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\"
Add "javaw.exe"
It should come up as Spiral Knights in your Steam Library
Right-click Spiral Knights & click Properties
Change Target: to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-pro.jar
Change Start In: to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\spiral

*This was done on Windows 7

If you have trouble, put the Spiral Knight's launcher shortcut on your desktop.
Right-Click the shortcut, & go to the Shortcut tab
Look at the Target: box to find the location of your javaw.exe
Once that is added to Steam, Copy & Paste your Start In: bar into Spiral Knight's Properties on Steam.

Wah-Lah! Launch and enjoy Steam's overlay! I haven't had a problem with it yet.
Awesome, thanks!

Dreavus

Having fun with the game so far, but in the early zones I really see no reason to party with other people. You end up losing out on lots of drops that other players snatch up, and the early levels are not especially difficult. Is the loot system really just a mad dash free-for-all, or am I missing something? It sucks watching that coveted monster drop go to another player time and time again. I know it's a multiplayer game and everything, and it's fun to play with a full party, but sometimes I'll come out of a 4-player 3 floor run with barely anything to show for it, which kinda sucks, considering all progress in the game is tied to equipment (which you need the materials for).

Also, does anyone know where to find more recipes to buy? Are they all from that merchant on the 4th floor and his limited selection? The vendor in town only sells a few kinds but there are far more types of armor than that. I even got to the 8th floor rest-zone, but there was no vendor there, only a gate telling me to come back with better equipment. I'm eyeing a mage hood recipe, but no one seems to be selling it!

EDIT: Oh, and my player name is Dreavus if someone wants to send me a guild invite! :D

If you want a guild invite, send a friend request to Varindo.

"Also, does anyone know where to find more recipes to buy? Are they all from that merchant on the 4th floor and his limited selection? The vendor in town only sells a few kinds but there are far more types of armor than that. I even got to the 8th floor rest-zone, but there was no vendor there, only a gate telling me to come back with better equipment. I'm eyeing a mage hood recipe, but no one seems to be selling it!"

The recipes the merchant on the 4th (and 13th, and...whatever'th) floor sells are random. But that's how you get the better recipes, just keep checking him every dungeon run.

" Is the loot system really just a mad dash free-for-all, or am I missing something?"

Loot drops are awarded randomly. It makes no difference who picks them up, the game will decide who gets it in the party afterwards.

Dreavus

Teknopathetic said:
If you want a guild invite, send a friend request to Varindo.

Thanks, I'll send one out!

EDIT:

Teknopathetic said:
Loot drops are awarded randomly. It makes no difference who picks them up, the game will decide who gets it in the party afterwards.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I guess I just had bad luck when it came to situations like that.

Grzi

Started playing, just arrived in Haven. Game is cute, I'll give it some more time.

Also, sent friend request to Varindo.

Loving the game so far, it's light hearted, simple and good fun, been playing some solo and with my cousin runs so far.

I decided to buy 1600 energy since the game is worthy enough for my cash :p interesting that in game that amount is $5.94 but paypal says $4.95 (£3 in my money) so that is killer price, most mmo's ask for much more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man I already have 34 hours played. Sooooooo addictive.

I have a bunch of recipes that I can craft for you guys if you bring me mats or I can use my mats and you can pay for the crafting cost (which is the real killer).

Fair warning though, I can't upgrade stuff that's bound to you. A bit of an oversight on Three Ring's part. So if I make a Troika for you, I won't be able to turn it into a Kamarin later on. But it's an easy way to get to 2* (without going cobalt) so you guys can finally join Tre and I on our Basil runs.

Recipe List:
Kamarin
Spur
Striker
Troika

Freezing Vaporizer
Freezing Vaporizer Mk II
Haze Bomb

Ash Tail Cap
Dusker Cap
Spiral Demo Helm
Wolver Cap

Ash Tail Coat
Dusker Coat
Spiral Demo Suit
Wolver Coat

Horned Owlite Shield
Owlite Shield
Swiftstrike Buckler

IGN: Haly

energy prices are spiking today, pretty brutal.

Finally got into tier 2 action, still having a blast. I understand why the good patterns are sold by merchants halfway through dungeon runs, but man can it be a pain. I totally dropped what 6500 crowns or something on 2 patterns that I have since decided I absolutely want nothing to do with, but I had to make a decision fast since my whole party was waiting on the elevator.

And of course, I immediately learned them out of reflex so now I can't resell them.

The music in this game is so calming.

Einbroch said:
Energy is just such a good deal.

$5 can last you easily a month if you're smart.

For real! I was in the mood for a long play session today (just forced myself to quit, lol), and dropped the 5 bucks for 1600 energy. I crafted a bunch of stuff, and ran a bunch of dungeons for the next few hours. Still have over 1200 left :p I was thinking it'd be gone quick.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sweet. I'm in the guild. What can you do in the guildhalls though?

The wiki says it can have two vendors, Boost and a special Guild Outfitter, but I don't see any in there.

Will be selling my energy today to focus on some school stuffs and make the most of not playing.

Dreavus

Halycon said:

I have a bunch of recipes that I can craft for you guys if you bring me mats or I can use my mats and you can pay for the crafting cost (which is the real killer).

Fair warning though, I can't upgrade stuff that's bound to you. A bit of an oversight on Three Ring's part. So if I make a Troika for you, I won't be able to turn it into a Kamarin later on. But it's an easy way to get to 2* (without going cobalt) so you guys can finally join Tre and I on our Basil runs.

Recipe List:
Kamarin
Spur
Striker
Troika

Freezing Vaporizer
Freezing Vaporizer Mk II
Haze Bomb

Ash Tail Cap
Dusker Cap
Spiral Demo Helm
Wolver Cap

Ash Tail Coat
Dusker Coat
Spiral Demo Suit
Wolver Coat

Horned Owlite Shield
Owlite Shield
Swiftstrike Buckler

I might take you up on a Wolver set If I can't find my own. I'll have to double check the material requirements though. ^^

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Halycon said:

Recipe List:
Kamarin
Spur
Striker
Troika

Freezing Vaporizer
Freezing Vaporizer Mk II
Haze Bomb

Ash Tail Cap
Dusker Cap
Spiral Demo Helm
Wolver Cap

Ash Tail Coat
Dusker Coat
Spiral Demo Suit
Wolver Coat

Horned Owlite Shield
Owlite Shield
Swiftstrike Buckler

Where did you get the Spur recipe and for how much? Quillion? Been looking for that, willing to pay you for it.

Also, today I realized you can't sell Mist Energy, wtf man I was so ready to sell my day's energy away to someone who would use it :(

XeroSauce

Halycon said:

Recipe List:
Kamarin
Spur
Striker
Troika

Freezing Vaporizer
Freezing Vaporizer Mk II
Haze Bomb

Ash Tail Cap
Dusker Cap
Spiral Demo Helm
Wolver Cap

Ash Tail Coat
Dusker Coat
Spiral Demo Suit
Wolver Coat

Horned Owlite Shield
Owlite Shield
Swiftstrike Buckler

Is the Magic set not available yet? I'd love to take you up on that offer, I have everything for the Owlite Shield except for one Owilite Feather. D:

"Is the Magic set not available yet? I'd love to take you up on that offer, I have everything for the Owlite Shield except for one Owilite Feather. D:"

Magic set is available, I have the hood and cloak.

Since Haly posted what he has, I'll post what I have:

Calibur
Cutter
Troika
Tempered Calibur
Faust

Autogun
Needle Shot
Strike Needle

Jelly Helm
Elemental Hood
Magic Hood
Miracle Hood

Firebreak Armor
Emberbreak Armor
Skelly Suit
Magic Cloak
Elemental Cloak

Jelly Shield
Brute Jelly Shield

Bisonian

Did a run today to the end of tier 2 and got absolutely crushed silly by the Royal Jelly. What a crazy last couple of levels that was. It seems obvious that 2* gear is not going to cut it on that fight :(

Really impressed with how crazy and intense the fighting and floor layouts were getting towards the end of tier 2 though. Hopefully the energy costs won't spike too sharply.

Nabs

Recipes I have (the later ones require a leveled up weapon, if you need one we might be able to work something out):

Calibur
Tempered Calibur
Ascended Calibur
Super Slime Slasher

Firecracker
Freezing Vaporizer
Freezing Vaporizer MK II
Haze Bomb
Toxic Vaporizer
Toxic Vaporizer MK II

Cobalt Helm
Fused Demo
Heavy Demo
Spiral Demo

Boosted Plate Mail
Cobalt Armor
Magic Cloak
Miracle Cloak
Drake Scale (Selling)

Plate Shield
Scale Shield

oh yeah, anyone know what a good 3 star upgradeable to 4 star gun would be? Like, one that does almost sword comparable dps? I'm using a 2 star shadow pistol which fires 2 extremely weak shots every reload, only use it when I'm super duper not trying to get tangled up with a monster.

XeroSauce

Teknopathetic said:
"Is the Magic set not available yet? I'd love to take you up on that offer, I have everything for the Owlite Shield except for one Owilite Feather. D:"

Magic set is available, I have the hood and cloak.

Since Haly posted what he has, I'll post what I have:

Calibur
Cutter
Troika
Tempered Calibur

Autogun
Needle Shot
Strike Needle

Jelly Helm
Elemental Hood
Magic Hood

Firebreak Armor
Emberbreak Armor
Skelly Suit
Magic Cloak
Elemental Cloak

Jelly Shield
Brute Jelly Shield

If I get you the mats and craft costs, can you build me a magic set? I just need to find 4 Frayed Fabrics and I'm good for mats.

Also, the new dungeon is opening tonight in about 2 and a half hours, if you guys want to come in and do a few runs.

"oh yeah, anyone know what a good 3 star upgradeable to 4 star gun would be? Like, one that does almost sword comparable dps? I'm using a 2 star shadow pistol which fires 2 extremely weak shots every reload, only use it when I'm super duper not trying to get tangled up with a monster."

I don't think you'll find many guns that do comparable damage to a sword until you get to the 4* and up guns. I think the Magnus line does the most damage.

"If I get you the mats and craft costs, can you build me a magic set? I just need to find 4 Frayed Fabrics and I'm good for mats."

Yes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nabs said:
Recipes I have (the later ones require a leveled up weapon, if you need one we might be able to work something out):

Calibur
Tempered Calibur
Ascended Calibur
Super Slime Slasher

Firecracker
Freezing Vaporizer
Freezing Vaporizer MK II
Haze Bomb
Toxic Vaporizer
Toxic Vaporizer MK II

Cobalt Helm
Fused Demo
Heavy Demo
Spiral Demo

Boosted Plate Mail
Cobalt Armor
Magic Cloak
Miracle Cloak
Drake Scale (Selling)

Plate Shield
Scale Shield
How much for the magic cloak recipe?

I've essentially figured out what I want to go for in the long term:
Armor: http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Divine_Mantle
Gun: http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Valiance

I'm a bit iffy on the sword and helmet though. Winmillion and Crown of the Fallen look useful but I'm not a fan of the crown's vulnerability to curse.

Or the Skover Cap Leaning a bit towards this cause of all the bonuses. And the Aegis shield looks sick too. I'm getting carried away fawning over loot again D:

Nabs: How do you think you'd want to do a Miracle Cloak trade? I've got the mats and energy and I can craft a non-bound elemental cloak, so the only hang up is getting it leveled up.

Updated my recipe list with Miracle Hood and Faust.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nabs said:
If you have the materials, I'd just make it for you

http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Magic_Cloak

I'm Nabso in the game if you want it.
Bought it off another Gaffer. Thanks though!

Props to my fellow Gaffers for the trades and games tonight. Crafted myself a blaster, Got two recipes and all the materials today and only ended up with 1000 crowns less than I started. I love you all dearly.

Nabs

Teknopathetic said:
Nabs: How do you think you'd want to do a Miracle Cloak trade? I've got the mats and energy and I can craft a non-bound elemental cloak, so the only hang up is getting it leveled up.

Updated my recipe list with Miracle Hood and Faust.

Just give me extra energy and I'll rock it for a few levels.

I really love the fact there's no character levels in this game. No, "You must be level 31 to do this dungeon!" messages.

Well, until you get to the 8th floor and you need all your equipment to be 2 stars tier... But crafting is a major part of this game so it's understandable :p

This game really needs an auction house or something of the sort really bad.

Top Bottom