• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory details (IGN) + videos & screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/556/556455p1.html

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070139771.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070140709.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070142381.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070141490.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070143318.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070145177.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070147005.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070147865.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070146099.jpg

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20041011070144302.jpg

In the second pic, Sam is holding a knife but has a pistol equiped. Is this an Error?... or will he always have a knife ready at his disposal?

Looks nice BTW, can't wait!

The thing about the ambiant sound meter + sound probagation meter is so rawk.

also

"Sam Fisher and Solid Snake end up on opposite sides -- who wins that battle and why?
MF: Sam does. His staple diet is well-balanced."

is the best answer anyone could have given.

You can really recognize the french grammar in his english ;)

Catalyst

Banned
Am I the only who found this series frustratingly difficult to play? I had the first and got to the second to last level, and really never cared to play it again. It was too frustrating, and really got to the point of not being fun.

Too frustrating? Too easy if you ask me. I played the original on hard on my first run and it was hardly anything you couldn't handle. SC had it's moments of fustration, but personally, I'm addicted to the trial and error fixation, like in Super Monkey Ball. But I guess it could really unappeal some people.

Do you find the gameplay in Metal Gear Solid less frustrating?

Kuroyume

Banned
Both games were fine for me except for the underground area in PT (where you take an elevator down and you can kill that woman) where there weren't many places to hide in the dark was infested with guards. The game looks incredible as expected so it's a shame that I will have to wait till next year. :( Oh well...

Catalyst

Banned
Date of Lies said:
Too frustrating? Too easy if you ask me. I played the original on hard on my first run and it was hardly anything you couldn't handle. SC had it's moments of fustration, but personally, I'm addicted to the trial and error fixation, like in Super Monkey Ball. But I guess it could really unappeal some people.

Yeah, but the trial and error came at a cost at the time I had the game...time for other games. Just the luck of my draw, I guess :(. I didn't like it much anyway, though. Yeah, I find the gameplay of MGS less frustrating, but it's really a different type of game in a different environment. I'm probably the minority here, but seeing what would happen next in the MGS games keeps me going a lot more than any SC story. But yeah, it's just that natural unappealing that it comes down to, unfortunately.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Kuroyume said:
Both games were fine for me except for the underground area in PT (where you take an elevator down and you can kill that woman) where there weren't many places to hide in the dark was infested with guards.
You hide under the walkways, in the water. The AI doesn't look down there, even as you're mowing it down with bullets.

The only thing difficult about Pandora Tomorrow (didn't play the first game) is the terribly inconsistent (read: random) and buggy AI. Unfortunately, that made it pretty fucking difficult to get through without setting off any alarms.

Metal Gear Solid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Splinter Cell

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i played through the first splinter cell, and while i thought it was flawed, i still enjoyed it an awefull lot. splinter cell 2 came out, and i just couldnt stand playing single player... i dont think that its really any more broken then the first, but it was no longer new and impressive, it was just tedious. i never passed stage 2 (the multiplayer rocked though).

splinter cell 3 interests me very little at this point (much to the delight of rodriguez i'm sure :D)

Aside from the cool online play, Pandora Tomorrow should never have been released, IMO. The Shanghai outfit just didn't add enough to the gameplay in the single-player mode. Now that the original team's on the case with this one, it should rock...provided that the gameplay has seen enough fine-tuning...and it looks as though they're going to deliver a real sequel. The real-time sound propagation (and recognition) addition sound (heh) badass!

"SCCT is a huge game including one single player mission campaign, one co-op mission mode and new features for the versus adversarial mode. Besides being Xbox Live 3.0 compatible, the versus mode, developed by Ubisoft Annecy (creators of the adversarial mode in SCPT), introduces new elements like a new bash humiliation move for sentries, cooperative actions for spies, new gear, and more. Oh, and cheating issues encountered in SCPT have been fixed."

AWESOME! I didn't even know the spies vs mercs was in this. I assumed the coop replaced it. That's a lot of game if each mode is fully fleshed out.

Ranger X

Damn i was about to share you alot of stuff about the game since i'm on it everyday of the week BUT... can't say anything else than what Ubi said so far ;)

Anyhow, the game's good. Much more of a true sequel this time believe.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Wyzdom said:
Damn i was about to share you alot of stuff about the game since i'm on it everyday of the week BUT... can't say anything else than what Ubi said so far ;)

Anyhow, the game's good. Much more of a true sequel this time believe.
Just please tell us that the VS. mode hasnt lost it's magic

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Ubi's getting their normal mapping on I see. Looks good.

Ranger X

dave is ok said:
Just please tell us that the VS. mode hasnt lost it's magic

I honestly think it's better than in Pandora. It sure did not lose it's magic as you say.
The only thing thought is that i'm sure there are stupid enough people out there to not play the game correctly (like in Pandora).

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ubi should include the option to list a different (read: imaginary) gametype when picking a server, or have a giant disclaimer on the server "WARNING: You are about to enter a room filled with 11 year olds playing a game that they made up called "Jailbreak". It's really gay. Please, proceed at your own risk"

dave is ok

aztek is ok
siamesedreamer said:
Everyone who doesn't buy this game to play on Live should be taken out back and beat with a meat cleaver.
I still play Pandora for at least 4 hours every week on Live. It sucks that Ubi abandoned it like it did, I have heard that they're doing one more patch but it's too little too late. If you dont have a regular group to play with, you're screwed as far the online component goes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Date of Lies said:

I HATE trial and error gameplay, and SC was pure trial and error. I still managed to have fun, of course, but I hate the approach to game design they took.

Metal Gear is NOT trial and error. There is minor trial and error involved in learning the game system, I suppose, but once you have full command of your abilities, you can approach every situation from many different angles.

Catalyst

Banned
dark10x said:
Metal Gear is NOT trial and error. There is minor trial and error involved in learning the game system, I suppose, but once you have full command of your abilities, you can approach every situation from many different angles.
What is it you guys always say...? "I believe this news." Hehe.

Miburou

When is thing coming out?

Anyway, I thought SC sucked (great graphics, though), and I skipped on the second one, but if they've improved the single player mode, then I might get this. Oh, and I'm also a bit of a graphics whore.

Mrbob

I hated the linear nature of single player in SC 1 & 2 as well. Lead to too many trial and error situations.

Now, from what I have read about SC3, it looks like the single player maps are going to be much more open than the first two games. Which is great, because hopefully it won't make me feel like I'm being force fed through a trial and error path anymore.

Dave what's your tag? Mine is my name here.

My partner and I got on last night for the first time in a month and we couldn't find a single decent game.

epmode

siamesedreamer said:
Dave what's your tag? Mine is my name here.

My partner and I got on last night for the first time in a month and we couldn't find a single decent game.
ooo i'll add you too. decent sc players (read: non-assholes) are hard to come by these days.

Top Bottom