• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

IF was great.

Gave a character to a character that was completely underused.

Gave some characters a moment to shine.

Sure I don't know why anyone would fall for that not a character Makoto but not everything has to be perfect.

Moonlight

Banned
IF's actual writing is awful and really stiff. It's like nobody told them 'show, don't tell'. Still, Mukuro is a badass in it, and helped legitimize my Naegi/Mukuro ship, so I'm cool with it.

I remember reading some of Zero and IF before the first DR was released here. IF was cool but it wasn't completely translated so I forgot checking it. To be honest I found Zero to be a little too boring lol Specially since I didn't care for the two main characters, so I mostly glanced over it (Zero spoilers)
I remember something about Kirigiri, the headmaster; Naegi being captured or something? Junko being the girl and also killing his boyfriend, etc.
but I will give it another read since I wasn't too hot on DR by that time. I did remember reading that Izuru itself was somehow a spoiler for a character in SDR2 (I even remember seeing his crazy hair) but I totally forgot about it by the time it was revealed in the game.

FluxWaveZ

Just saw this from the Pixiv thread; it's pretty awesome:
460738112dub4.jpg
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46073811

Bought the game along with the newly released PSTV (UK) on Friday, finished it today after what was basically a marathon session.

Whoever said "'tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" needs to play chp 5 of this game and rethink their words. I know this is just reactive emotional trauma talking, and that underneath it all I’m immensely glad for Chiaki's existence, but goddamn my soul has never been so utterly crushed in all the years I’ve been gaming. The seconds when I moved the selection cursor to her gently smiling face were more excruciating than an eternity spent listening to Ibuki’s music. When Hajime’s silent exclamation confirmed the truth I became completely catatonic.

Losing Celeste in DR1 was painful, but ultimately I accepted it because it felt like a justified consequence of her actions. Chiaki, on the other hand, was unquestionably the least deserving of an execution of the entire cast. It’s fitting that her ethereal reappearance in the chp 6 trial gave her the aura of a divine messenger, because she’s an absolute freakin’ angel.

I’m reserving judgment on the rest of the cast until I’ve finished all the FTEs (only maxed Chiaki and Sonia in the main game), but my current feelings are that they’re collectively superior to the DR1 characters. HM to Nagito for being an unexpectedly fantastic antagonist (of sorts), and I say that despite his actions nearly turning me into a member of Ultimate Despair.

I'm not in any kind of mental state to evaluate the game further right now, or to compare/contrast it with DR1. All I'll say is that, just like its prequel, it's one of the most enthralling and enjoyable games I've played.

Just saw this from the Pixiv thread; it's pretty awesome:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46073811
You have refined tastes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You pretty much had the same experience most of us had when it came to Ch. 5. That execution made it even worse because it give you back that hope BUT NOPE JK LULZ EVEN MORE DESPAIR.

Jintor

Eh... unfortunately it felt to me like SDR2 got a bit too long to wind up to making me despair... it was only around chapter 4 in the funhouse where I really began to really care about the remaining cast... though obviously it was still the most despairing of despair possible in that chapter.

Still, best fucking murder plot ever. Pity the actual trial was kinda handholdy.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The Danganronpa games for the most part are pretty handhold-y, I never got a game over on DR1 and only once or twice in DR2, both playing on the hardest difficulty. It's the consequence of being a video game in the modern era.

You pretty much had the same experience most of us had when it came to Ch. 5. That execution made it even worse because it give you back that hope BUT NOPE JK LULZ EVEN MORE DESPAIR.

I can’t bring myself to re-watch her execution yet (seriously), but I thought the build up to it was so intentionally heartbreaking and conclusive that there was no chance of her suddenly being saved at the last moment. It was different in DR1 because it was just suddenly ‘oh hey Makoto's totally the killer gonna crush you lol’.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seriously. Heck, I thought Makoko's execution was the bad ending at first since I heard there was one, but I was surprised to see that it wasn't.

Here, you were hoping SO HARD that it wasn't going to happen, especially since I thought she was gonna survive due to acting like the Kirigiri of the group at times.

I felt more despair when I found out she was an AI than I did when she was executed...what a huge gut punch to what was until that point one of the best characters

Some cool official art
Danganronpa_Reload_official_art_MakotoandHajime.jpg

Danganronpa_Reload_official_art_ByakuyaHifumiNagito.jpg

dammit yamada get out of the pic of badasses
tumblr_msy5meiTI91rems4xo5_500.jpg

So there's official art of Hajime+Naegi, Nagito+Togami and Chiaki+Kirigiri. Now I can die happily.

500px-Danganronpa_Reload_official_art_Sonia_and_Sayaka.jpg

best female designs from their respective games <3 Reload has a lot of awesome art, most of my favorite from DR in general
wQj1hPj.jpg

Gotta love this one also, those red eyes. I have noted in other official art that Ishimaru also uses a sword, huh. Does he mentions it in his FTE?
Some cool fanart
images

images

images

images

Also the Ultimate Fanservice:
images

Shirtless Yamada

DaBoss

...they just swapped the hair for Sayaka and Sonia and they pretty much look the same...what the hell...did they really design them like that?

Vylash

Finished / viewed all the FTEs and Island Mode endings, so I can now make the Ultimate Tier List:

Not into trophies so I guess I'm basically done with the game. Now to rock slowly back and forth until we get AE or 3.

this is a good tier list except for Hiyoko not being on the bottom

this is a good tier list except for Hiyoko not being on the bottom
Pretty much.

Hiyoko a shit. I'd move Peko up there instead.

But it's your list so, yeah. ;P
A1zoQOQ.png

Huh? Are your brains rotten? Why would you say something that stupid?

Sure, Hiyoko was originally an obnoxious little brat, but by the end it's clear that she's developed into... an obnoxious average-sized brat. I forget where I was going with this.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
A1zoQOQ.png

Huh? Are your brains rotten? Why would you say something that stupid?

Sure, Hiyoko was originally an obnoxious little brat, but by the end it's clear that she's developed into... an obnoxious average-sized brat. I forget where I was going with this.

The point was that Hiyoko sucks, and it's true.
She's the worst character in both games along with Hifumi and the hippie guy

LX_Theo

Banned
Hiyoko... Hiyoko is okay. Mainly because she fills her role in the story very well (as in the general character role she plays in the group dynamic), unlike some of the other less likeable characters did.

Jintor

So I walked into a store in Den-den town

B3G9JZkCYAEhl-F.jpg

Whole thing is dangan ronpa. I walk in and the fucking ultra hype trial music starts playing. All the prints on the wall are dangan ronpa. There's like a dozen dangan ronpa zero merch in there so I didn't really want to hang around.

I might head back and go grab a monokuma plushie

ZeroX03

Banned
S Tier
Komaeda_%2823%29.png

Trash Tier
Everyone else

Gave my friend DR1 and DR2 to play. He loved DR1 and is not digging DR2 at all. He's up to chapter 4, at least playable Nagito and chapter 5 will be able to get him through the game. Is AE's atmosphere more like DR1 or DR2?

all the Celeste on this page is killing me, why did Hiro survive and not her? :(
Because this is a franchise that purposefully sets out to exploit the emotional attachments that people develop to the best characters.

It is a franchise that revels in the psychological trauma inflicted upon players by witnessing the untimely death of their waifu(s).

It is a franchise that permits one-dimensional characters with single digit IQs to survive at the expense of infinitely superior alternatives.

It is a franchise that somehow considers crushing Chiaki with a Tetris block to be an acceptable plot development.

PK Gaming

Chiaki is my favorite DanganRonpa character and I am 100% okay with her death. DR2's endgame wouldn't have been nearly as great if Chiaki were still alive.

MSMrRound

Chiaki swung many over into her camp over the course of the game. (In before avatar quote)

T_T I knew that she was in trouble during Chapter 5...but to go out like that? Wow. Just wow. Loved watching live reactions when people had ragequit moments over her death.

Koriandrr

Bought the game along with the newly released PSTV (UK) on Friday, finished it today after what was basically a marathon session.

Whoever said "'tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" needs to play chp 5 of this game and rethink their words. I know this is just reactive emotional trauma talking, and that underneath it all I’m immensely glad for Chiaki's existence, but goddamn my soul has never been so utterly crushed in all the years I’ve been gaming. The seconds when I moved the selection cursor to her gently smiling face were more excruciating than an eternity spent listening to Ibuki’s music. When Hajime’s silent exclamation confirmed the truth I became completely catatonic.

Losing Celeste in DR1 was painful, but ultimately I accepted it because it felt like a justified consequence of her actions. Chiaki, on the other hand, was unquestionably the least deserving of an execution of the entire cast. It’s fitting that her ethereal reappearance in the chp 6 trial gave her the aura of a divine messenger, because she’s an absolute freakin’ angel.

I’m reserving judgment on the rest of the cast until I’ve finished all the FTEs (only maxed Chiaki and Sonia in the main game), but my current feelings are that they’re collectively superior to the DR1 characters. HM to Nagito for being an unexpectedly fantastic antagonist (of sorts), and I say that despite his actions nearly turning me into a member of Ultimate Despair.

I'm not in any kind of mental state to evaluate the game further right now, or to compare/contrast it with DR1. All I'll say is that, just like its prequel, it's one of the most enthralling and enjoyable games I've played.

You have refined tastes.

I just finished it too, not rushed but over a long period of time, very slowly, because I knew this game will affect me. The previous one affected me and this one just crushed me with the same thing. Man Chiaki was awesome :(

And that plot twist... what!?!? Also am I the only one who assumed Hajime has an ACTUAL physical scar when Junko was referring to how damaged he is. They never showed his face in the end, so I'm still wondering if she meant an actual scar. For some odd reason I was curious about their bodies in the real world, especially after seeing that hand on Nagito...

I just finished it too, not rushed but over a long period of time, very slowly, because I knew this game will affect me. The previous one affected me and this one just crushed me with the same thing. Man Chiaki was awesome :(

And that plot twist... what!?!? Also am I the only one who assumed Hajime has an ACTUAL physical scar when Junko was referring to how damaged he is. They never showed his face in the end, so I'm still wondering if she meant an actual scar. For some odd reason I was curious about their bodies in the real world, especially after seeing that hand on Nagito...
we discussed this a few pages back. My assumption is that though they are probably still damaged in some way, future foundation (Or more likely the DR1 characters) would have most likely been working on improving their physical states while they were in stasis.

Vylash

Case 3 sent me through the 5 stages of grief roughly 50 times. you can actually see Ibuki's hair when she's climbing the ladder so i knew it was her, but i kept coming up with reasons about why it couldn't be.

"ah, they're doing the Junko thing again"
"it must be some sort of body double"
"oh! she's pulling a Hifumi and she'll be up and about soon!"

5%28246%29.png

THEN Mikan's trial put me through it another 50 times, especially when they kept talking about believing in her, I kept holding out hope that it would be Kazuichi or someone that I didn't care about so of course it wasn't. I put the game down for a few days and I almost didn't bother going back to it (this is a good thing, evoking that sort of emotion from me is super hard) DR 1 didn't really do this to me since my favorites were Aoi and Kyoko and they both survived

5%28237%29.png

Anyway I hate this shitty franchise, can't wait for the next game

I put the game down for a few days and I almost didn't bother going back to it (this is a good thing, evoking that sort of emotion from me is super hard)

Strangely enough, Mondo's death did this to me in DR1 but the demise of Gundam (who I like a lot more) made me press on through the sadness and grief. I guess it's because I feel like he died for a good cause rather than because of a mistake, but his death stoked the flames in me rather than dousing them.

Top Bottom