• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Wildstar75 said:
Meh, who cares about adding sports, they already have plenty of great ones. I would like an online play patch.
People keep saying this but I am not sure how online is going to work well for this game. With the extra lag motion controls add (and the fact that LCDs are already adding tons of lag people are now blaming on controls) games that require millisecond precision are going to be messy online. Fighting games and sports game come to mind. Shooting games and actions games would be fine though.

jax (old)

Banned
PistolGrip said:
People keep saying this but I am not sure how online is going to work well for this game. With the extra lag motion controls add (and the fact that LCDs are already adding tons of lag people are now blaming on controls) games that require millisecond precision are going to be messy online. Fighting games and sports game come to mind. Shooting games and actions games would be fine though.

It'd be fine. By your logic they should strip out online fighting in SSF4, MvC3.. etc etc. Lag's always going to be a problem. And no, its not fine for shooting or action game - In fact I'd say its worse. Ever tried a laggy FPS/game of uncharted2/RE5merc?

But its something you really can't get around.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
PistolGrip said:

Yea, I think the problem is that the movement is supposed to be 1-1. But that is practically impossible once you have 2 independent parties, and there's latency involved.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
the take turns games would be fine for online though, Bocce, disc golf, archery...

Corto

Jax said:
actually I did.

and I can't figure out how to delete the pic because not only was I posing like a spaz. I was also grabbing my crotch. So now its just saved on my move SC profile

YIIIKKEES!!

Next DLC pack: Hidden Trophy: Goin' Commando!:D

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
levious said:
the take turns games would be fine for online though, Bocce, disc golf, archery...
This is true. Actually Bowling/Archery/Disc Gold would be awesome here. Imagine GBL => GAF Bowling league!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sports Champions is the perfect candidate for DLC.

Do it Sony. I want a god of war avatar while playing gladiator.

And online play for some of the games with a small video overlay of your opponent would be awesome.

distrbnce

Banned
ryan-ts said:
I kind of find it depressing to see people so excited about this game, have you guys ever played the real thing? Actual table tennis is even more fun, so much more fun infact that it if you found yourself really enjoying the table tennis it would be worth your time to not only purchase a table but also find some people to start a little table tennis league. You could make it happen every Tuesday evening at 7pm. Think about it, thats all I ask.

:lol I'm sure someone said the same thing about pong... How did you even get to NeoGAF?

EDIT: What's worse, is this is the first time in history this argument is almost completely invalid, as you're pretty much perfectly mimicking the actual thing... :lol I don't see why this couldn't legitimately be used for -some- level of real life training.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Jax said:
there's only 1 person in this thread... and in the OT that's making it all about WSR vs Move. And that's amtentori.

let's all just stop that bullshit

Relax :S

I was definitely not trying to derail the thread. I will unfortunately not have the opportunity for a long time to try the game. The easiest way for me to get impressions is to compare to something I have tried before. I appreciate the reasonable responses. It seems that software implementation still matters a lot. For example in the WSR waggle video, the game is much more forgiving (maybe it has to be because it is not accurate enough, who knows) the fact that SC is 30 fps might also affect the experience somehow without it being something related to the device itself.

cgcg said:
You don't need to hit the T button in order for your weapon to register hits. The problem is I think some of you are holding down the T button for your shield and that's when the hits don't register.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but hiding your Move controller let's you charge your special move meter. Just put in behind your back. :D Another neat thing is you can actually break the objects outside of the ring if you knock your opponent into them. Watching those columns crumple was awesome :D
Thanks I thought I was going crazy. You Don't need to hit the T button for weapons attacks at all!

Xav said:
I went to my friend's house and I was like "What's that weird looking thing over in the corner of the room" and he said "PlayStation Move". I was like "WTF, it's out?".
Maybe it's me but it feels like Sony did a bad job getting the word out when Move was actually coming out.

You regularly post on GAF and didn't realize it was out? That's some crazy selective reading right thar.

ryan-ts said:
I kind of find it depressing to see people so excited about this game, have you guys ever played the real thing? Actual table tennis is even more fun, so much more fun infact that it if you found yourself really enjoying the table tennis it would be worth your time to not only purchase a table but also find some people to start a little table tennis league. You could make it happen every Tuesday evening at 7pm. Think about it, thats all I ask.

You ask too much! *goes back to playing Move*

malingenie said:
Thanks I thought I was going crazy. You Don't need to hit the T button for weapons attacks at all!

Interesting. I'll have to screw around with it more. It seems even when I'm not holding T for the shield (playing with 2 Moves) I still regularly just swing-and-a-miss when it seems like I should be connecting.

jigglywiggly said:
332nzt1.png

Or something.
:lol perfect response pic.

BeeDog

Bought a Move controller and Sports Champions today. Have only tried Table Tennis and the Disc Golf, and it's surprisingly fun! The precision is great, but I'm still getting used to it. :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Your positive impressions are leading me to jump in now and buy Sports Champions. I haven't played Bocce in years.

I have a question, though--is it even possible for them to have additional sports as DLC? 6 sports seems a bit shallow.

KZObsessed

Buckled to peer pressure (pwonager >_<) and bought one. Havn't bought SC yet but I will, played the demo and Table Tennis is excellent. Disc Golf also surprisingly fun. I think I'll buy Tumble as well.

Calibration was fine, tho it took a while to get the camera to stay on top of the TV :lol Stupid wire. Need more space tho, gotta re-arrange the furniture 2moro.

distrbnce

Banned
BeeDog said:
Bought a Move controller and Sports Champions today. Have only tried Table Tennis and the Disc Golf, and it's surprisingly fun! The precision is great, but I'm still getting used to it. :D

Bocce ball is surprisingly fun. The -feeling- of throwing the balls is just perfect, and the courses actually get kinda crazy. This game has sooooo many surprises, I had no indication they would take advantage of the freedom of a virtual world, but I'm glad they did.

Just wish the characters weren't so weird and generic... and I still don't think I've unlocked a single one. What does it take?

Plinko said:
Your positive impressions are leading me to jump in now and buy Sports Champions. I haven't played Bocce in years.

I have a question, though--is it even possible for them to have additional sports as DLC? 6 sports seems a bit shallow.

You will be surprised by how deep each of these experiences are though. And I believe someone else posted some near-confirmation of new sports DLC. I'm sure they must've tried some others that just didn't make the cut...

BeeDog said:

KZObsessed said:
Buckled to peer pressure (pwonager >_<) and bought one. Havn't bought SC yet but I will, played the demo and Table Tennis is excellent. Disc Golf also surprisingly fun. I think I'll buy Tumble as well.

Calibration was fine, tho it took a while to get the camera to stay on top of the TV :lol Stupid wire. Need more space tho, gotta re-arrange the furniture 2moro.

Ditto! Seems to be the common reaction.

Plinko said:
Your positive impressions are leading me to jump in now and buy Sports Champions.

On the case it does say "Addon Content" but nothing has been announced as of yet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Plinko said:

I guess so. There's definitely DLC coming (according to the back of the box).

EekTheKat

I can't believe you can actually do a backspin serve in table tennis in this game, and it sort of works. I remember reading about it and was curious to see if it works in game.

My physical technique to do the backspin serve is flawed
I'm horrible at table tennis in general
, but I do see the ball hop over the net, and spin backwards towards me :lol

Playing in the silver ranks in the championship made me realize just how much the cpu assistance were turned on in bronze, I'm missing a lot more shots in silver just like I do in RL.

distrbnce

Banned
EekTheKat said:
Playing in the silver ranks in the championship made me realize just how much the cpu assistance were turned on in bronze, I'm missing a lot more shots in silver just like I do in RL.

Yeah, I think this kind of thing will lead a lot of people to believe Move isn't actually that accurate, as the auto-correction in Bronze is pretty noticable. Your paddle will jump at shots, or make contact when there clearly wasn't any... but this illusion dissolves as you move up in difficulty.

_Alkaline_ said:
Title really shouldn't be so provocative. It's basically asking for people to come in and complain.

It's fine because they have no grounds to complain about.

"Hai guys! You should all be playing wii because the tech is shittier, and the visuals suck!"

"Om uh, it's just like the wii but the wii is MOAR FUN!"

levious

there's pluses and minuses krypt, the pointer for one. And I'd like to try more Tiger, but I feel like you can't twist the club like you can with M+, but it seems to track the plane of your swing more, not really sure yet.

levious said:
there's pluses and minuses krypt, the pointer for one. And I'd like to try more Tiger, but I feel like you can't twist the club like you can with M+, but it seems to track the plane of your swing more, not really sure yet.

That's software based. You can twist the hell outta the club in the crazy pants golf game. And pointer-wise, play The Shoot. I was pulling off headshots almost instantly.

The pluses here for me make this a night/day experience. This (SC) is the motion control we were promised but that was never delivered.

levious

mini golf? Tiger tracks the twist with putting as well, but I was talking about more full speed swinging. M+ tacked speed plus twist whereas Move seems to track swing shape and speed but not twist, but I'm not fully sure yet.

Shoot does seem to be the best, but the pointer function is still not as good as the Wii, but that's literally the only thing I can find that it didn't improve.

Stampy

Yes, yes, yes! I beat Boomer on Championship level (Table Tennis). Geez, she is such a pain to beat. Like you are fighting a fucking wall. But until I started taking the game seriously, swearing at her, moving around my room like I was playing real table tennis, totally immersed into the game, I had no chance of winning this. Yes, yes and yes once again. :D

BTW, how are you people dealing with TT on Championship level? This is beyond brutal for me. But I can't stop. :)

[Nintex]

krypt0nian said:
It's fine because they have no grounds to complain about.

"Hai guys! You should all be playing wii because the tech is shittier, and the visuals suck!"

"Om uh, it's just like the wii but the wii is MOAR FUN!"
For me it's more the question of: "Should I buy another Motion Control setup if I already have one that I'm sick of"

Also, it was pretty obvious that Move would be better tech than the Wii, imagine if a motion controlled sports game released 4 years after Wii Sports was actually worse. Third parties already lowered the standards by a landslide. :lol

Stampy

[Nintex] said:
For me it's more the question of: "Should I buy another Motion Control setup if I already have one that I'm sick of"

ask yourself why are you sick of motion control? And depending on your answer you will have your solution. If you just don't want to play any motion game no matter the difference in experience, then the Move is really not for you.

distrbnce

Banned
levious said:
mini golf? Tiger tracks the twist with putting as well, but I was talking about more full speed swinging. M+ tacked speed plus twist whereas Move seems to track swing shape and speed but not twist, but I'm not fully sure yet.

Shoot does seem to be the best, but the pointer function is still not as good as the Wii, but that's literally the only thing I can find that it didn't improve.

He meant John Daly's (Proper) Golf.

And what differences are you finding in the pointer? I haven't tried The Shoot, but RE5 is perfectly smooth and non-twitchy.

distrbnce

Banned
[Nintex] said:

Er, this is exactly why the thread title is important.

You can't wash the Wii-version of motion control out of your mouth until you actually pick it up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
distrbnce said:
Er, this is exactly why the thread title is important.

You can't wash the Wii-version of motion control out of your mouth until you actually pick it up.

Meh...when it's properly implemented (which is rarely) it's great--Tiger Woods 11 is perfect. It just seems that they've failed so hard in most other games.

distrbnce

Banned
Plinko said:
Meh...when it's properly implemented (which is rarely) it's great--Tiger Woods 11 is perfect. It just seems that they've failed so hard in most other games.

Well, this thread (and the title) is about Sports Champions, where it happens to be implemented darn-near perfectly. Check it out!

Plinko

distrbnce said:
Well, this thread (and the title) is about Sports Champions, where it happens to be implemented darn-near perfectly. Check it out!

If you go a few posts up you'll see that I'm about to order this in the next couple days.

levious

distrbnce said:
He meant John Daly's (Proper) Golf.

And what differences are you finding in the pointer? I haven't tried The Shoot, but RE5 is perfectly smooth and non-twitchy.

oh sweet, that's good.

Not sure on the pointer really. It's terrible in Time Crisis, better in Shoot, but still that's not as good as the Wii's. But like I said earlier, it feels great in SC's main menu, so I feel like it can be better. I feel like it works well in the middle area of the screen but gets bad around the edges. Maybe that's just how it's going to be due to the setup. Either way it works well enough when it does.

cakefoo

amtentori said:
Have you played frisbee games on wii sport resort? if I wind my arm back (without tilting or pointing at the screen) the frisbee on the game tracks that motion. THAT IS TRACKING MOTION IN THE Z AXIS.
It's only tracking yaw, pitch, and roll:

2ngwfq0.jpg

Try to visualize it like this:
2jept0z.jpg

The Wiimote's mounted to a ball bearing joint in the Mii's stomach. There's an invisible rod coming out of the tip of the Wiimote, and about 2 feet out they attach a frisbee, sword or ping pong paddle, which, when you rotate the Wiimote, causes the sporting equipment to revolve around the Mii's body.

The advantage of TRUE 1:1 tracking (full position and orientation) is easily noticeable in Sports Champions. Say in swordfighting you want to defend against a downward slash coming from up high. In Sports Champions, since it's true 1:1 and knows how tall you are (that's what the 3-point calibrations are for) you just do what you would do in real life: raise the sword up above your head and tilt it left.

In WSR, if you tried the same thing, it's only going to put the sword by your left hip pointing left, because it's just listening for orientation. It's not tracking position to know the remote is up high- that would be impossible because the accelerometers used for lateral XYZ movement would drift several inches every swing you made, rendering them too inaccurate for gameplay purposes because after a few swings it's not going to know whether its being held 6 feet or 3 feet high. Instead, WSR makes you hold the trigger button for block mode. This merely changes the behavior and position of the magic pivot point.

The Wiimote+ can detect and estimate XYZ movement, indeed, but it's really just accurate enough to detect the relative 3D shape of a single gesture, not know its absolute position in 3D space.

P.S. I know people don't want to hear WM+ stuff in here, but I made sure to put as much evidence and information into this post as possible in an attempt to end the comparisons and misinformation. ;)

Just wanted to chime in and say how awesome this game is. Way superior to WSR. The gladiator sword fighting with 2 controllers is what I had hoped to get with the Wii.

Stoffinator

Dante said:
Disc Golf is the closest thing to a videogame drug I've ever come across, So DAMN ADDICTING.

Same here. I had never heard of Disc Golf before this game. But once I played it, I was hooked. Just stuck on one part in the gold. :-[

distrbnce

Banned
Oh yeah, one thing that definitely needs to be added to SC is player profiles... It sucks that friends that come over can't track their own stats (or even better, remembering a users Calibration throughout a session at least)

Also, you should be able to link a real PSN account to these profiles if you go to a friends house, but we know how rare that implementation is.

But yeah, SC is all I can think about today at work, and I can't wait to get back home to it. I really feel like I'm "practicing" at it and developing a skill, so time spent here is pretty much just lost.

Firewire

Banned
I've only lost two matches in Bocce so far, and I'm almost finished with silver(?). Man I'm loving this thing, so many on the edge of your seat moments so far.

Fixed1979

KZObsessed said:

Speaking of that, did anyone try the clip for the camera?

distrbnce

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
Speaking of that, did anyone try the clip for the camera?

I didn't see one in the wild when I picked up my Move, but I wanted it... I knew my PSEye wouldn't balance on the TV...

So I had to come up with another solution, which I actually think I prefer: My roommate happened to have some adhesive velcro lying around, so... well you can see where this is going. Anyway it works like a charm, and I don't see how there will be any sort damage from the adhesive regarding my tv.

Highly recommend this.

UFRA

bobbytkc said:
Sports Champions is the perfect candidate for DLC.

Do it Sony. I want a god of war avatar while playing gladiator.

And online play for some of the games with a small video overlay of your opponent would be awesome.

It's pretty much confirmed it will get DLC. We just don't know what yet.

It says on the back of the box "Add-on content" is one of the features.

Snipes424

I cannot beat the roid up Venus Williams chick on 9/10 silver table tennis. I've absolutely destroyed every other opponent until her, but she just whips my fucking ass :lol :lol

Big B

question. I never played wii sports (sold it for $$$) and I do sort of like trophies. Will I have fun with this?

Top Bottom