• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I guess those dudes get credited in an animu... which some people might care about if they're trying to build a portfolio and whatnot.

Having people work for you for free is probably the biggest first world scam ever. I bet companies wish they could find a way to exploit their workers in that way. Maybe they just need to tie real world tasks to a scoring system.

Give it achievements and watch the productivity flow!

trejo

zeroshiki said:
No sex hair, no buy.

That's like getting Horo without the ears or Nina without the table!
Or a kugiloli without the tsun.
zeroshiki said:
Give it achievements and watch the productivity flow!
The sad thing is that it doesn't sound that farfetched.

Articalys said:
Nobody likes the piano, huh? Guess that's why it took them until Rock Band 3 to add it to the game.

Let me guess, this is a roundabout way of saying you're a long-suffering Mugi fan?

zeroshiki said:
I'm gonna go with the crowd and choose Mio.

Which crowd? Azunyan won Japan Saimoe last year, Mio won International Saimoe. I guess you could go with either one there, I don't have anything particular against Mio. It was always funny when Mio thought she could count on Azunyan to side with her on something and instead she always sided with the other girls, much to Mio's consternation.

Izayoi

Banned
Articalys said:
Nobody likes the piano, huh? Guess that's why it took them until Rock Band 3 to add it to the game.
Wow, I had completely forgotten about what's-her-face until you brought up the piano.

Articalys

Unknown Soldier said:
Let me guess, this is a roundabout way of saying you're a long-suffering Mugi fan?
Nah, I don't care about K-On, but I used to play piano back in junior high school. Keep meaning to try again; there's a bunch of songs I've heard in the last few years I want to learn how to play. And I still need to buy RB3.

Izayoi

Banned
Hey, they're cute. They're one-dimensional and trapped in a mediocre show, sure. But they're cute.

Oh, and Unknown, I upped the 720p version of that trailer to the thread, if you're interested.

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
They all suck.
menmaava.png

Izayoi said:
Oh, and Unknown, I upped the 720p version of that trailer to the thread, if you're interested.

I love how you somehow knew that posting in the Tera thread was futile but you could get my attention by posting this in the current Animu-GAF thread. :3

So many worthless Azunyan-haters in Animu-GAF. Of course we all know who won Japan Saimoe so you can all keep on hating, because none of you matter. Japan has already spoken and they picked the One True Waifu already.

The full version of Hana no Iro, the OP for Hanasaku Iroha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xkPLSn7gU0

This band nano.RIPE is seriously talented and the song itself reminds me so much of the punk rock I listened to when growing up with a bit of ska flavor. I don't know why their lead singer singer feels she needs to rely on the falsetto 'cute voice' gimmick when the band is already so talented. She should just sing with her normal voice, quite frankly. And yes, I <3 this OP. I can't stop listening to it. <3 <3 <3

Articalys

Unknown Soldier said:
The full version of Hana no Iro, the OP for Hanasaku Iroha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xkPLSn7gU0

This band nano.RIPE is seriously talented and the song itself reminds me so much of the punk rock I listened to when growing up with a bit of ska flavor. I don't know why their lead singer singer feels she needs to rely on the falsetto 'cute voice' gimmick when the band is already so talented. She should just sing with her normal voice, quite frankly. And yes, I <3 this OP. I can't stop listening to it. <3 <3 <3
Let's put a face to that voice, why don't we...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMrg7d7AQk
(thankfully Lantis understands the internet and posts official versions of their bands' music videos online)

I still don't think it's that bad except for the very first line.

Articalys said:
Let's put a face to that voice, why don't we...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMrg7d7AQk
(thankfully Lantis understands the internet and posts official versions of their bands' music videos online)

I still don't think it's that bad except for the very first line.

Wow, that's so exactly the opposite of the face I would expect with that voice. Mad props to that band for being all-Fender though, except for the drum set obviously.

hamchan

Infinite Stratos 3

There was nothing super cringeworthy in this episode and I actually quite liked it. Maybe I'm getting used to the badness, I don't know.
Anyways new childhood friend with a childhood promise isn't too annoying, so good on her.

Dali

Jexhius said:
No, only a few do! And that's why they charge so much monies. Get only the crazies.

No it's been thoroughly and consistently skewered for having absolutely zero tone, like it will just switch from one mood to another within the same scene, all over the place. It has no emotional consistently, and a rather weak script in numerous places.

It's not the worst show ever made by man, but it's certainly not very good either.

Nah, the opening was fairly terrible and then it got worse. There was one nice episode around the middle though.
The only "skewering" I've read in response to my thoughts was disappointment at it not being something it wasn't. Not my fault people had some sort of preconcieved notion what the series was going to be. Once you get past the initial shock that this isn't one of the anime I previously mentioned that glosses over the dark side of things that have an inherent darkside, the tone is pretty consistent. The only time it switches between moods quickly is when neesa is involved, but if the change is jarring or feels inconsistent then I guess you completely missed how everyone was affected by her throughout the series.

Steroyd

Vampire Princess Miyu - 06

Miyu kept trolling the taxi driver lol.

Vampire Princess Miyu - 07

Holy crap. I'm going to need some anti depressants after that, or alcohol. T_T

Sibylus

Banned
Went into Wandering Son blind this week, and holy shit. I read through all the volumes, and felt kinda heartsick by the end of it (yeah, cried a little). Is the anime worth seeing?

/XX/

firehawk12 said:
Honestly, the problem with it was that it would go from happy to extremely dark without an adequate transition. The first couple of episodes evoked Miyazaki, but right after that it just went off the rails. I may go back to it since it is apparently Yakaman's last work ever (he died for our sins, etc, etc).?
I have a similar impression, because seeing his last shows I've assumed that Yutaka Yamamoto efforts are aimed to interest the viewer at the same level as previous successful works he was involved with, but in the way of making it he has recurred recently to established formulas that only work in a specific and planned context. And that leads to the more obvious attempt of this plan, FRACTALE, that it seems to be the conjunction or pastiche of so many ideas from a probably confused Mr. Yamakan, as he is trying to connect with the audience again, that in my opinion he doesn't give it a much needed focus or clear progression. From all those mixed ideas, some are very clever, but I think a general cohesion is the primary objective in a project like this one.

duckroll said:
I got this month's Newtype. It's quite disappointing. :(
Well, from what I've seen, the Studio Khara (or &#967;&#945;&#961;&#945;) feature seems very complete of interesting information, no?

And yes, I know why you are disappointed, duckroll, but... "we have to be patient", right?

ARGH!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Botolf said:
Went into Wandering Son blind this week, and holy shit. I read through all the volumes, and felt kinda heartsick by the end of it (yeah, cried a little). Is the anime worth seeing?
Yes. Read (and watch) Aoi Hana too.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
They all suck.
Wow.

Botolf said:
Anime cuts out a ton as I understand it, but it's still very well done.

Steroyd said:
Vampire Princess Miyu - 06

Miyu kept trolling the taxi driver lol.

Vampire Princess Miyu - 07

Holy crap. I'm going to need some anti depressants after that, or alcohol. T_T
Haha! Yeah, that's a great one.

So I just finished Madoka, and wow. Deserved the hype it got. If Hell Girl has a child with Bakemonogatari, then Magical Lyrical Nanoha has a child with Revolutionary Girl Utena. And then those two children have a child. And that child had a child with Higurashi, then you'd have Madoka. ^_^
Anime pulls a nice "School Days" too.

Going to start Umineko later today. Sadistiic stuff. GET HYPE!

Jex

Dali said:
The only "skewering" I've read in response to my thoughts was disappointment at it not being something it wasn't. Not my fault people had some sort of preconcieved notion what the series was going to be.
Having a preconceived notion of what the series is meant to be (drama/comedy/commentary/fantasy) or whatever is rather different from having a preconceived notion that a series should attempt to set and maintain some kind of tone.

Sometimes a show will set a tone which will be followed every episode without fail, in which case it's the tone of the series. At other times, a show might have episodes with different tones, e.g. the comedy episode, the serious episode, the romantic episode.

But when you have a show where the tone flicks between scenes and where there is no attempt at a skilled transition between moods then you have a show with an inconsistent tone.

This causes a problem because the viewer doesn't know how they are supposed to feel about a certain event. If it's light-hearted, then a shoot-out may be fairly wacky, with lots of tomfoolery. If it's serious, then people might get killed. If a show hasn't alerted the viewer to what the tone of the scene is in some fashion then they won't know how to feel when the scene takes place.
Dali said:
The only time it switches between moods quickly is when neesa is involved, but if the change is jarring or feels inconsistent then I guess you completely missed how everyone was affected by her throughout the series.
Even this is incorrect because the tone fluxuates quite severely in the first episode which is, bad the very end, Nessa free.

Lain

Battle Girls 6
Final confirmation that Masamune is Hideyoshi's teacher in this episode.
This keeps being light-hearted fun. Hideyoshi being a moron is delightful, as she's whining because of silly stuff ("I'm thirsty, I'm hungry") after setting the traps in motion.
I wouldn't want it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom