• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Articalys said:
$415 for 24 episodes. I just don't get it.
It's all the Japanese TV and movie industry works. Everything is costs around this much or more. It's the same for video games, they just cost a lot more than they do in the West.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Izayoi said:
Bahaha.

If we're talking about ALL shows this season, I would have to sit down and really think about it. But for Iroha, at least, Nako is without a doubt the best girl in the show.
Well, she's the prototypical Japanese waifu after all. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Except we all know who is Japan's waifu. The tsundere!

Haly

I guess Nako for the middle aged men and Minko for the otaku?

Izayoi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Well, she's the prototypical Japanese waifu after all. :lol
Well, recent years would have you believe that Minko would be the prototypical Japanese waifu.

I'm glad we're getting back to the shy girl archetypes. In almost all cases, kuudere > tsundere.

Edit: Beaten like Ohana.

Izayoi

Banned
Defuser said:
I must be super old fashion if I think Nako is a ideal wife.
You're not, she would be. Tsunderes could be too, as long as they're the non-violent type, and they soften up a bit. I'm all for a good verbal beatdown to a certain extent but if the violence gets physical then you can count me out, that shit would get old after a while. Even verbal abuse would get tiresome at some point. I'm a masochist, sure, but I'm not that much of a masochist.

Izayoi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
To make this conversation even more awkward, I'll say that the Ohana-type is the best type.
Genki girl? She's not bad, but wouldn't that get annoying after a while? Maybe it's just because I'm unmotivated and have no energy at all, but I feel like I just wouldn't be able to keep up.

Aw, you edited and now it looks like I got beat again. Damnit. ;_;

Branduil

Ohana would likely be the best choice of those three. I'm not sure you can count out Tomoe, though.

Ano Hana 1

Why is Index in this anime?

Anaru must be using wireframes or something.

Menma was pretty annoying in the first half of the episode, but it was still good.

So I just finished watching Sekirei... yeah... let's forget about that one.

Started Madoka today since it's been getting so much praise. Just finished the fourth episode and... OMG... sogood.gif.
That is all.

Haly

If she gets a boyfriend her character will be null and void.

Tomoe as a waifu is a paradox.

Izayoi

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
I would go with Ohana. When I'm around energetic people like that I feel more energetic myself.
I'm the opposite. I just feel all that much more depressed and drained. Why can't I be energetic like them? Why can't I constantly be bouncing off the walls? Why can't I be genuinely happy like that?

zeroshiki said:
You're all forgetting the onee-san type. Tomoe.
Not a huge fan of Christmas Cake, generally. A nice onee-sama is alright, but too old and they start having a bunch of problems.

I find that Nako's type, in general, is by far the most appealing. Not because of the "doormat" aspect so much as the fact that she's quiet and relatively calm. She seems a little melancholic, but not super depressed. I can relate to her. I have more trouble relating to Ohana, who has such a positive outlook on life and so much energy that I think I would go crazy, and Minko, who just comes off as a bitch to me. Maybe I'm getting too old for tsunderes.

Izayoi

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Anyone else watching Steins Gate. Am addicted to that show. Mayurri has a rather cute way of speaking.
Yes. I love it. It oozes nerd. Seems to have just the right balance of insanity and seriousness.

Salazar

Blader5489 said:
How does it compare to the ova? I was always a big fan of it even though the story always had this weird in media res feel to it.

I've only seen R.O.D. tv - not the ova.

I loved it, though. Extremely charming, with sufficiently badass action.

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:
I'm the opposite. I just feel all that much more depressed and drained. Why can't I be energetic like them? Why can't I constantly be bouncing off the walls? Why can't I be genuinely happy like that?

Not a huge fan of Christmas Cake, generally. A nice onee-sama is alright, but too old and they start having a bunch of problems.

I find that Nako's type, in general, is by far the most appealing. Not because of the "doormat" aspect so much as the fact that she's quiet and relatively calm. She seems a little melancholic, but not super depressed. I can relate to her. I have more trouble relating to Ohana, who has such a positive outlook on life and so much energy that I think I would go crazy, and Minko, who just comes off as a bitch to me. Maybe I'm getting too old for tsunderes.

If this is real life, Ohana would be the only one that you can choose. There is no way Nako or Minko exists in real life.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If this is real life, Ohana would be the only one that you can choose. There is no way Nako or Minko exists in real life.
Actually one of my sisters has a similar personality to Nako..

Izayoi said:
Yeah. I love that kind of shit. I'm such a sucker for cheap thrills. ;_;

The funniest thing for me about the show is his random cell phone calls. It always seems to catch me off guard. Just when i think he is about to answer a legit cell phone call it turns out he is blabbing about the organization.

Haly

I also knew a girl in highschool who was like Nako, just less of a doormat.

And smaller chest.

Branduil said:
Ano Hana 1

Why is Index in this anime?

Anaru must be using wireframes or something.

Menma was pretty annoying in the first half of the episode, but it was still good.

Menma gets better.

Izayoi said:

In a large group of energetic people I feel that way, but in a one-on-one situation it's easier for me to come out of my shell if the other person is already out.

Salazar said:
I've only seen R.O.D. tv - not the ova.

I loved it, though. Extremely charming, with sufficiently badass action.

Who doesn't love fighting with paper?

I really need to finish the TV series.

zeroshiki

Halycon said:
Asians in real life man.

A tragedy.

What, you're saying anime gives an unrealistic portrayal of women? Is that what you're saying? Huh? Huh?

I knew some big breasted Asians. Of course they also weighed 200 pounds.

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Good thing I don't give a shit about real life, then. Call me when robot waifus are readily available and affordable. I've had my fair share of real women, thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
What, you're saying anime gives an unrealistic portrayal of women? Is that what you're saying? Huh? Huh?

I knew some big breasted Asians. Of course they also weighed 200 pounds.
This is when someone posts a picture of that girl from Amagami SS.

Dynedom said:
Starting Cross Game tonight. Can't wait. Moshidora has totally inspired me to look into sports anime / underdog stories.
Have fun!

---

I figure I'd ask here - anyone order from RightStuf and have their "Got Anime?" membership? I'm just wondering if there are any exclusive offers/coupons I should know about, because I'm thinking it might be worth buying the membership first before placing my actual order.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Halycon said:
Asians in real life man.

A tragedy.

Well that same sister i was referring to certainly isn't flat-chested.. but wait what am i talking about here. Let's forget about this whole conversation.

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:
Good thing I don't give a shit about real life, then. Call me when robot waifus are readily available and affordable. I've had my fair share of real women, thanks.

You're fishing for a new tag, huh?

Dynedom said:
Starting Cross Game tonight. Can't wait. Moshidora has totally inspired me to look into sports anime / underdog stories.

Awesome show. You're gonna love Adachi.

Lafiel said:
Well that same sister i was referring to certainly isn't flat-chested.. but wait what am i talking about here. Let's forget about this whole conversation.

Too late! Time to stalk Lafiel and his family!

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Anyone else watching Steins Gate. Am addicted to that show. Mayurri has a rather cute way of speaking.
I did, but I spoiled myself already.

Don't read the Wiki, it has the whole plot in it already.

So I'm not going to finish it.

Izayoi

Banned
Lafiel said:
Oh dear.

zeroshiki said:
You're fishing for a new tag, huh?
Come at me. I stand by my statements.

tiff

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
In a large group of energetic people I feel that way, but in a one-on-one situation it's easier for me to come out of my shell if the other person is already out.
Same. I'm really self-conscious around other people but it's easier to loosen up and risk acting foolish if the other person's doing the same and can't really judge you for it.
Halycon said:
I also knew a girl in highschool who was like Nako, just less of a doormat.

And smaller chest.
Really? I've known shy people before but I don't think I've ever seen one that actually acted like that.

Branduil

Izayoi said:
Don't worry they've probably had enough of you too.

Haly

tiff said:
Really? I've known shy people before but I don't think I've ever seen one that actually acted like that.
Well I'm talking about Nako as she is now, not Nako when she was first introduced, which was very much over the top shyness.

Just finished the 6th episode of Steins Gate. What can i say, the show is fabulous. Every ending of an episode poses a question that makes it hard for you to wait for the next one.

The part-timer downstairs is increasingly suspicious, the new lab member that loves to text looks like she is from the future. and finally what is the fucking F. B

Izayoi

Banned
tiff said:
I've never known anyone remotely like her in real life, either.

Halycon said:
Well I'm talking about Nako as she is now, not Nako when she was first introduced, which was very much over the top shyness.
That makes more sense. I've never known anyone with that kind of really ridiculous shyness, but there probably are people like that out there - we'll just never know about them because of that very reason.

Branduil said:
Don't worry they've probably had enough of you too.
Dohohoho.

But I was always really nice and considerate and caring and all I got in return was deceit and vitriol.

;_;

Battle Maidens (Sengoku Otome) 03 - Another meh episode in this meh show, why didn't I drop it? At least this isn't a harem show, it does have that going for it, but our main character's pretty useless (apart from when she's not because the plot requires it) and the plot is generic silly. Also, so is this going to be another mostly violence-free war show, like a worse Koihime Musou? Ep. 1 had the aftermath of a real battle, but now our heroine is convincing Nobunaga to use non-fatal challenges instead of actual war... I admit, she did say that she didn't want to kill the other person, but really, silly challenges? That'd only happen in a show like this. :)

Despite that the episode was amusing, this show's silly stuff even if it is obviously unbelivable and doesn't make much sense. I'll probably keep watching at least a little longer. The kite fight at the end was entertaining stuff. :)

Hyakka Ryokan Samurai Girls 12, Alternate BD version - Also known as the Samurai Girls OVA, but 12-alternate is a better title. This is an expanded and somewhat altered version of Samurai Girls' final episode. It's 26 minutes long now. The first half or so of the episode goes pretty much like how I remember the original version going, but the second half changes somewhat significantly, and for the better. Episode 12 as it was was already the best episode of the series, but now it's by FAR the best episode. This actually was good, actually, I thought, and not just for this series -- for anime action, this was probably good stuff. The original version of ep. 12 was almost good, this bumps it up a little. I wouldn't recommend watching this show, because most of the first 11 episodes are pretty lame, but at least it has a good ending. The action's very well done, they clearly put some effort into the animation. Also I still love this show's paper filter, it makes it look much cooler than it actually is. :)

Also, I liked the new additional scene at the end. Nice thing to see. :)

The Legend of Koizumi (ova series, watched part of it) - Now THAT is awesome stuff! This is a mahjong series with major world leaders playing high-stakes games of mahjong. It's completely, totally awesome and excessive, in all the best/worst ways. I mean, in a lot of way the series is pretty obvious complete junk, but it's so completely over the top that not only does that not matter, it's the whole point. Just brilliant stuff, I wish there was more of it. Saki has some of this show's excessive stuff going on during mahjong matches, but this goes even farther than that show does, to some great results. :)

Izayoi said:
Nichijou 6. Fucking hilarious, every second of it.

http://i.imgur.com/xTNEw.png
Yeah, definitely the best episode yet. Great stuff, so funny beginning to end... :)

Lain said:
Actually
she takes credit for fucking Kinji's brother and having him with her and the bad guys (he's my lover). That was the most silly moment of the entire episode for me.

Oh right, I remembered wrong -- she claimed that his brother was her boyfriend, ie he's on the side of evil now according to her. Right.

I still find Aria way better than IS. It's silly fun, contrary to boring sleep that IS was for me.
Aria's not as interesting and not quite as terribly incoherent as IS is... it's bad, but it's not as humorously so as IS. Similarly IS has more entertaining characters as well.

Izayoi

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, definitely the best episode yet. Great stuff, so funny beginning to end... :)
It just kept building and building. I completely lost it during the hallway scene, and just kept laughing for the remainder of the episode.

tiff

Banned
Halycon said:
Oh, I kinda forgot what she's like now. Focus has been on Minko for too long.

A Black Falcon said:
Hyakka Ryokan Samurai Girls 12, Alternate BD version - This is an expanded and somewhat altered version of Samurai Girls' final episode. It's 26 minutes long now. The first half or so of the episode goes pretty much like how I remember the original version going, but the second half changes somewhat significantly, and for the better. Episode 12 as it was was already the best episode of the series, but now it's by FAR the best episode. This actually was good, actually, I thought, and not just for this series -- for anime action, this was probably good stuff. The original version of ep. 12 was almost good, this bumps it up a little. I wouldn't recommend watching this show, because most of the first 11 episodes are pretty lame, but at least it has a good ending. The action's very well done, they clearly put some effort into the animation. Also I still love this show's paper filter, it makes it look much cooler than it actually is. :)

Also, I liked the new additional scene at the end. Nice thing to see. :)
What kind of changes did they make? Anything that impacts the story? I might watch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom