• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

Izayoi said:
Miracles.

Being unemployed gives you a lot of free time.

That's awesome. I'm excited for both.

-----

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 1-3 - Aw shit. Got the Blu-rays a few days ago and I decided to finally start watching this. I only saw about seven episodes of the original, so I'm going into this pretty much blind. Amazing so far, can't wait to see the rest.

As someone else who doesn't work.... I don't know how you find the time. All my time seems to get eaten up by Neogaf haha.

Izayoi

Banned
Foxix said:
As someone else who doesn't work.... I don't know how you find the time. All my time seems to get eaten up by Neogaf haha.
I've been through the "constantly hawk GAF/4chan/etc." phase and got bored with it a while ago, and have since started sponging up media and video games in order to fill my time. The good part about that is my entertainment backlog has begun to rapidly shrink. At this rate, I'll only need a couple more months to burn through the rest of it. Hopefully I'll get a job before that, though.

tiff

Banned
Foxix said:
Me too. I hate it because it feels like the least productive thing in the world.

faridmon

Izayoi said:
[
Gosick 17 - Hell yeah, motherfucker. Such an awesome anime. So much badass and so much adorable, all in one episode.
What? last time I watched the fisrt 2 Episode and they sucked big time. Did it improve dramatically or what?

/XX/

Instro said:
That would certainly make more sense at least. With the popularity of the show couldn't they have just gone over budget?
That would have been an afterthought, as the popularity of the show came through successive re-runs in TV. Hiroyuki Yamaga has sometimes blamed the contracts they could possibly obtain from the producers at that time as one of their limiting factors:

[inside] GAINAX - Newtype USA said:
The (Neon Genesis Evangelion) series was not only a landmark in the industry and for GAINAX; financially speaking, it was the first anime production to actually make money for the company. "Not making money is one thing, but that doesn't mean they weren't hits," stresses Yamaga of their pre-Eva works. "The others were certainly hits, but the contracts were at fault."

"We never had very good contracts," he admits. "In fact, we didn't have a very good contract for Evangelion, either, but it was just so popular. So basically we made money on the products we put out ourselves. They said on the news how Evangelion had passed the 30 billion yen mark, so even if the contract only gave us 1% of that, it's still be 300 million yen!"

But, of course, GAiNAX didn't not have a good reputation in the matter of budget administration, and Mr. Yamaga also commented on this situation:

[inside] GAINAX - Newtype USA said:
The main difference in the GAINAX of today compared to the past is stability in animation production. "For a dozen years or so, we just kept going without much planning," says Yamaga--it's the 'without much planning' part he wants to drop. "I guess we didn't really start thinking about how to run the company more effectively, like a company should be run, until maybe two or three years ago. Seriously." It's a matter of taking on work, defining the goals and checking to see if they're being fulfilled. "I mean, none of this is anything new," he remarks. "I guess normal people do it that way from the start."

Not that he's going to suddenly set up a multitude of departments to handle things more systematically. "If we get too uptight about things, we'll end up losing what's made us so great up to now. I think we're much more flexible than other companies."
http://www.evamonkey.com/inside_gainax.htm

Izayoi

Banned
faridmon said:
What? last time I watched the fisrt 2 Episode and they sucked big time. Did it improve dramatically or what?
You only gave it two episodes? It's a slow burn anime for sure. Give it a few more. I love it, personally. Lots of character development.

faridmon

Izayoi said:
You only gave it two episodes? It's a slow burn anime for sure. Give it a few more. I love it, personally. Lots of character development.
Great to hear! I didn't droped it, its just I didn't had time to watch it, but thought of how dissapointing BONES have become and assumed its just another medicore title from them.

Izayoi

Banned
faridmon said:
Great to hear! I didn't droped it, its just I didn't had time to watch it, but thought of how dissapointing BONES have become and assumed its just another medicore title from them.
Source material is great, and BONES handles it pretty well, especially later on.

Izayoi said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 1-3 - Aw shit. Got the Blu-rays a few days ago and I decided to finally start watching this. I only saw about seven episodes of the original, so I'm going into this pretty much blind. Amazing so far, can't wait to see the rest.

I cant wait for the final part er in July. I have to rewatch the beginning again, so many subtle details that I found myself instant replaying scenes, and fights scenes are so hot.Lovely animation in HD.

Jex

Izayoi said:
Well considering the first episode was painfully awful I'm not surprised people gave up on it. In fact, nearly everyone did, bar ABF.

Lain

Jexhius said:
Well considering the first episode was painfully awful I'm not surprised people gave up on it. In fact, nearly everyone did, bar ABF.
To think I was a supporter of the show before it aired, yet I wasn't able to go past the first episode.
BONES ruins (mostly) everything they touch!

trejo

Nichijou 7

Episode was completely devoid of the funny but that little bit at the beginning was interesting. I wonder if anything will come of it or if it was just a one-off. Norio Wakamoto at the end was the highlight for me.

Jexhius said:
There are others though they are much less vocal about it. It did get a bit better before I stopped, for what it's worth. I think I might get back into it, if I feel like it.

Izayoi

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I cant wait for the final part er in July. I have to rewatch the beginning again, so many subtle details that I found myself instant replaying scenes, and fights scenes are so hot.Lovely animation in HD.
It's a shame that 50+ episode anime with great production values are pretty much an extinct breed. If I ever get rich I'm going to make a studio and give them unlimited budget so they can just crank out good looking, long anime.

Jexhius said:
Lain said:
To think I was a supporter of the show before it aired, yet I wasn't able to go past the first episode.
BONES ruins (mostly) everything they touch!
Aw, come on guys. It's a great show. Give it a little longer.

tiff said:
Gosick is a lot better when it's not just about Victorique solving cases in about five seconds.
Indeed. The most recent episodes are tons of fun.

-----

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 4-10 - So much sadness, so little time. ;_; Also, I just realized that there are two shows now that I'm currently watching where the main villain organization has something to do with Ouroboros.

Jex

trejo said:
There are others though they are much less vocal about it. It did get a bit better before I stopped, for what it's worth. I think I might get back into it, if I feel like it.
Well it's always difficult to a give a show any length of time these days when there's about a dozen other shows I could be watching that I know are excellent on a consistent basis.

zeroshiki

tiff said:
Gosick is a lot better when it's not just about Victorique solving cases in about five seconds.

If she solves them in 5 secs, that must mean that the viewer solves them in negative time since the "mysteries" are so painfully obvious that only retards won't figure them out for themselves.

trejo

Jexhius said:
Well it's always difficult to a give a show any length of time these days when there's about a dozen other shows I could be watching that I know are excellent on a consistent basis.
Sure but, where's the fun in that? You can't really shit on an excellent and consistent show now can you?

Well, I guess you can. But that'd make you a filthy troll and nobody wants that.

Jex

[C] 5

A show that just gets better every week? I can live with that! It certainly helps that the more time you spend with the show the more all the combat starts to make sense.

Even though we're on the fifth episode the actual main story-arc isn't clear yet. The main character hasn't got an end goal or big bad to defeat, he just has the challenge of self-improvement. Of course, the IMF are lurking in the background but, sadly, without all the sex abuse scandals.

It's fairly interesting that the most important figure in the show has a fairly nuanced outlook on the financial district. Rather than trying to destroy it completely he's more concerned with working within the confines of the system in an attempt to affect change. This is certainly a nice change of pace from all the stories that revolve around characters trying to destroy the systems that govern them.

/XX/

Aigis said:
I still like Eva TV's ending better in a way though. EoE is a masterpiece but it's not really necessary.
For the most part, I think that The End of Evangelion presents the context or background in which occurs practically the same events that lead to the TV series Human Complementation Project (or Human Instrumentality Project), in a more elaborated representation of the same notion, and I think this background doesn't adds a new meaning to this core concept. So, in my opinion, the TV series final remains as a standalone showing of this idea in a more inner and subdued manner, with The End of Evangelion acting as a supporting feature (and, I think, a bit of fan-service).

tiff

Banned
zeroshiki said:
If she solves them in 5 secs, that must mean that the viewer solves them in negative time since the "mysteries" are so painfully obvious that only retards won't figure them out for themselves.
I don't know if I'm retarded or if I just stopped trying to solve them.

Basically my point was don't watch Gosick for the mysteries.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
[C] 5

A show that just gets better every week? I can live with that! It certainly helps that the more time you spend with the show the more all the combat starts to make sense.

Even though we're on the fifth episode the actual main story-arc isn't clear yet. The main character hasn't got an end goal or big bad to defeat, he just has the challenge of self-improvement. Of course, the IMF are lurking in the background but, sadly, without all the sex abuse scandals.

It's fairly interesting that the most important figure in the show has a fairly nuanced outlook on the financial district. Rather than trying to destroy it completely he's more concerned with working within the confines of the system in an attempt to affect change. This is certainly a nice change of pace from all the stories that revolve around characters trying to destroy the systems that govern them.

I know we're never supposed to take actions in an OP at face value, but it has Kimimaro at odds with Souichirou and I'm really wondering how that is going to come about (if that is the direction the series is going).

Like I'm going to give this series more credit than Mikuni being the guy who bankrupted Yoga's dad. That would be a very conventional and generic twist.

Hajime no Ippo 24

I expected Mashiba to win, but I was unsure for most of the match. Would be boring if Miyata, someone that already fought against Ippo won against a perfectly good antagonist.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Nichijou 7
Great episode. Noticed other people weren't a fan, but I loved the change-up in the opening. I wasn't sure how to take it for a while there, expecting a joke at every turn, especially with the importance they put on the NONDESCRIPT WOODEN CUBE. The joke they eventually set up and followed through with was just too perfect. And of course, the total over-reaction to ordinary things just takes the cake~

Jex

GaoGaiGar 15

Compared to the previous episode, Volfogg is a tad under-used in the episode, largely appearing just in time to get hit in the face and knocked into the ocean. Ah well, at least there seems to be some kind of plot happening. Or so so it seems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dororon 6

I made it about half way through this episode. Perhaps if they'd changed things up a bit they could have kept it going in an entertaining fashion.

Branduil

/XX/ said:
For the most part, I think that The End of Evangelion presents the context or background in which occurs practically the same events that lead to the TV series Human Complementation Project (or Human Instrumentality Project), in a more elaborated representation of the same notion, and I think this background doesn't adds a new meaning to this core concept. So, in my opinion, the TV series final remains as a standalone showing of this idea in a more inner and subdued manner, with The End of Evangelion acting as a supporting feature (and, I think, a bit of fan-service).
The problem I have with this view is that if the entire run of Eva was like the last two episodes, not a single person would like it(except maybe Firehawk). So I can't view it as a success when it relies on the inertia of the previous 24 episodes to work.

It also absolves Anno for the storytelling sins of setting up numerous plotlines(NERV's and Gendou's plans, etc.) that are never satisfactorily resolved.

Cwarrior

Xmen ep5
ema's cleared, full team finally together, wonder what enemy pro x is talking about.

dororon ema-ku n ep2

Princess is a snake and tentacle magnet

Jexhius said:
That can't be true, because last week as a great episode. Post invalid!

What was so great about last ep?

All we got last ep was the girls started off dress in fanservice clothing to show of nako package, falling over customer, then walking around in old inn clothing to get complement by old customers on how nostalgic it is, only to put those back in the antic and go back to wear there regular inn outfit, making the ep pointless.
What was gained in that episode? They didn't even find a way to get more customers and all we learnt was trivial stuff like granny use to make the inn uniform.

Ep7 was better filler episode then ep6

Dresden

link fixed.

The wraparound jacket band on the fourth volume of Eiji Nonaka and Maru Asakura's Double-J manga is announcing this month that a television anime adaptation of the manga has been green-lit. The anime will run in NTV's Yuruani? program, which currently runs Flash-animated shorts of several manga. Nonoka, who also created Cromartie High School (Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou), wrote this moe manga about the surreal, strange "life in a high school full of cute girls."

e: oops. lol.

/XX/

Branduil said:
The problem I have with this view is that if the entire run of Eva was like the last two episodes, not a single person would like it(except maybe Firehawk). So I can't view it as a success when it relies on the inertia of the previous 24 episodes to work.

It also absolves Anno for the storytelling sins of setting up numerous plotlines(NERV's and Gendou's plans, etc.) that are never satisfactorily resolved.
In part, I agree with you. The TV series finale plays with the idea of a viewer that has seen the series since the beginning, as the TV series manipulates its characters and general tone throughout the whole show to cause a bigger emotional impact in the end. Keeping in mind this I don't think you could extrapolate those final episodes mood or approach for a whole series as, in my opinion, it would fall flat and be a little pretentious.

Basically, I not only like The End of Evangelion for what it is, as I also do it for the expanded vision of the TV series it presents, but for me the TV series stands as a complete work without the need of supplemental data.

I know this is my personal opinion, and is a little off-topic on this conversation, but I don't necessarily feel the need of an answer for every plot or question in a work like this one. As long as the general idea comes across and is understood, I don't mind a little bit of mystery!

Excuse me for this blasphemy, EvaGeeks.org users, I love you all!

Jex

Cwarrior said:
What was gained in that episode? They didn't even find a way to get more customers and all we learnt was trivial stuff like granny use to make the inn uniform.

Ep7 was better filler episode then ep6
Neither of the episode were filler, because this isn't an adaptation of a manga. Neither is their any clear-set goal which this show is heading too, so they aren't even meandering. Whether or not they're entertaining in their own right is a different story.

An episode shouldn't be judged solely on how far it moves the hand on some undefinable plot-barometer.

Nichijou 7
The best parts of this show are still the OP and ED. I liked the acapella version of the ED song they had this week. Have nothing to say about the actual episode because it was so boring.

Tiger and Bunny 7
Shit got real this episode. Lunatic looks like he'll be a pretty good supervillian for the heros to square off against. Got to see Bunny lose it this episode too.

Jexhius said:
Tiger & Bunny 7: Enter the Lunatic

This show doesn't absolutely wow me as it continues to pull from the realm of traditional superhero stories but it remains well made and entertaining.

I wonder if that guy at the end gonna pull a "Clark Kent" on these guys.

Kettch

Nichijou 7

Amazing opening sequence. Now I really want a new FMP season, KyoAni does serious so well that I don't understand why they just do comedy after comedy. Just a great atmosphere built up there despite all the little comedic bits. Oh, and Sakamoto really reminded me of Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service in this one, did that exact same shiver. :D

TWGOK2 6

Show is so good now, they seem to have stopped extending scenes like in season 1, which wasn't bad but I prefer this pacing. Makes me even sadder that there likely won't be any more after this. :/

Hajime no Ippo 25

Starting to get bored of this. Might just be the nature of boxing, but there isn't really enough variety to keep me interested. I'll watch the Mashiba fight and then decide on whether I'll continue or not.

Dresden

Ratings for the week of May 2 - 8:

19.1%(22.2%) 05/08 18:30-19:00 CX* Sazae-san
11.9%(15.5%) 05/08 18:00-18:30 CX* Chibi Maruko-chan
*8.9%(*6.9%) 05/06 19:30-19:54 EX* Crayon shin-chan
*8.9%(*6.5%) 05/06 19:00-19:30 EX* Doraemon
*8.0%(*9.5%) 05/08 *9:30-10:00 CX* One Piece
*7.7%(*9.1%) 05/07 18:00-18:30 NTV Detective Conan
*6.1%(*6.9%) 05/08 *9:00-*9:30 CX* Toriko
*5.6%(*4.9%) 05/08 *8:30-*9:00 EX* Suite PreCure ♪
*4.3%(**.*%) 05/02 19:00-19:30 TX* Tamagochi!
*4.3%(**.*%) 05/03 22:55-23:20 NHK Moshidora
-------------------------------
*3.1%(--.-%) 05/03 19:00-19:27 TX* Inazuma Eleven GO (New)
*2.9%(*2.4%) 05/08 *7:00-*7:30 EX* Battle Spirits Brave
*2.8%(*3.9%) 05/05 24:45-26:45 CX* noitaminA - [C] - AnoHana
*2.7%(*3.1%) 05/08 *7:00-*7:30 NTV Beelzebub
*2.3%(*2.2%) 05/03 24:59-25:29 NTV Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji - Hakairoku-hen
*1.8%(*1.9%) 05/08 *6:30-*7:00 EX* Digimon Xros Wars
*1.6%(*3.2%) 05/06 16:30-17:00 NTV Soreike! Anpanman
*1.0%(*1.2%) 05/03 25:29-25:59 NTV Yuruani?
*0.6%(*0.5%) 05/06 27:38-28:08 NTV Dragon Crisis!

Branduil

/XX/ said:
In part, I agree with you. The TV series finale plays with the idea of a viewer that has seen the series since the beginning, as the TV series manipulates the characters and its general tone through the whole show to cause a bigger emotional impact in the end. Keeping in mind this I don't think you could extrapolate those final episodes mood or approach for a whole series as, in my opinion, it would fall flat and be a little pretentious.

Basically, I not only like The End of Evangelion for what it is, as I also do it for the expanded vision of the TV series it presents, but for me the TV series stands as a complete work without the need of supplemental data.

I know this is my personal opinion, and is a little off-topic on this conversation, but I don't necessarily feel the need of an answer for every question or plot in a work like this one. As long as the general idea comes across and is understood, I don't mind a little bit of mystery!

Excuse me for this blasphemy, EvaGeeks.org users, I love you all!
It might not be necessary, but it's still poor storytelling. And it makes viewers feel used.

If Lost didn't get a free pass, Eva shouldn't either.

Jex

Branduil said:
It might not be necessary, but it's still poor storytelling. And it makes viewers feel used.

If Lost didn't get a free pass, Eva shouldn't either.
I feel that Eva has been, by now, thoroughly grilled for all it's failings. Over a decades worth of discussion can do that to a show!

But I don't think failing to explain every mystery is inherently poor storytelling, except when it is.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I feel that Eva has been, by now, thoroughly grilled for all it's failings. Over a decades worth of discussion can do that to a show!

But I don't think failing to explain every mystery is inherently poor storytelling, except when it is.
You don't have to explain everything, sure. But we're not even talking about mysteries. We're talking about the core plot of the show proper not being addressed.

Jex

Branduil said:
You don't have to explain everything, sure. But we're not even talking about mysteries. We're talking about the core plot of the show proper not being addressed.
That's why I said "when it is" because in this case, the plot is an unexplained mess!

tiff

Banned
Hanasaku Iroha 7 - A little sillier than usual, but it's good to see Tamoe get some time to sparkle. Funny how all her attempts to get fired turned out.

Nichijou 7 - Don't really remember anything funny from the first half. Yuuko and co. got a few laughs, but on the whole it was definitely a step back from episode 6.

Still cute as heck though.

Cwarrior

Jexhius said:
Neither of the episode were filler, because this isn't an adaptation of a manga. Neither is their any clear-set goal which this show is heading too, so they aren't even meandering. Whether or not they're entertaining in their own right is a different story.

An episode shouldn't be judged solely on how far it moves the hand on some undefinable plot-barometer.

I don't have much of a problem with it been filler or not or even if it move the plot, but what matter most is if the episode was entertaining or not and that it failed to do.

You still didn't tell me why last weeks episode was so great making my post invalid.

Cwarrior said:
I don't have much of a problem with it been filler or not or even if it move the plot, but what matter most is if the episode was entertaining or not and that it failed to do.

You still didn't tell me why last weeks episode was so great making my post invalid.

I can tell you why last week's episode was great, or at least better than this week's (IMHO). I really enjoyed seeing a glimpse into the grandmother's past and her beautiful clothing designs. It gave a touch of humanity and tenderness to a character who normally seems distant and cold, particularly to her family. It's reflective character moments like these that have been Hanasaku Iroha's greatest strength.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TWOGK 6 - I thought this was going to be an NTR episode or something, but it turns out girl falls in love with him anyway. Derp. Although, with the other girl, I guess there's some plot happening, but it probably won't matter anyway... ah well.

Gintama 208 - I regret not watching this show sooner. It has good old fashioned slap stick humour that isn't about the characters being stupid (like, say, Homer Simpson). Good times. Also, dat Kobayashi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom