• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

hosannainexcelsis said:
Sket Dance 6

Roman's fourth-wall breaking powers continue to impress.

The UY homage was unexpected and neat.

The end was a heartwarming theatrical lesson on how to engage with your audience. My eyes did not stay dry.
By the way, that song at the very end in the post-credits bit, was it Ryōko Shiraishi or Marina Inoue? Pretty sure it was supposed to be one of the two...

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I guess Meme is a complete lampshading of the trope though. GAP MOE!!!!
She's actual kind of a subtle commentary on...wait.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arjuna 1

Given that outfit, I'd have to seriously think about letting the Earth burn.

Steroyd

Arjuna - 1

Indifferent2.gif

Blue Exorcist 5

Suguro seems like this series' Kuwabara. Nice. Also, his voice sounds familiar.

Next episode looks kind of fillery, but I have no idea if it is or not.

Edit: Oh, it's Zoro. Of course.

Dynedom

C - 05

I really really like where this show is going. Won't be surprised if this ends up being my favorite anime of the season upon completion. Any anime that can pull off a mixture of fantasy + political economy well is bound to be awesome.

Instro

zeroshiki said:
He can't hear you over the sound of all his wanking in those episodes.

I often wonder what he was thinking when those two episodes where being made. "Yeah people are really gonna dig this deep shit I'm doing here. I am the fucking man."

zeroshiki

Instro said:
I often wonder what he was thinking when those two episodes where being made. "Yeah people are really gonna dig this deep shit I'm doing here. I am the fucking man."

Supposedly he had already run out of budget and that was the only way to end it barring EoE.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Instro said:
Probably more like "we have no more money left oh god"

I still like Eva TV's ending better in a way though. EoE is a masterpiece but it's not really necessary.

Instro

zeroshiki said:
Supposedly he had already run out of budget and that was the only way to end it barring EoE.

That would certainly make more sense at least. With the popularity of the show couldn't they have just gone over budget?

zeroshiki

Instro said:
That would certainly make more sense at least. With the popularity of the show couldn't they have just gone over budget?

You must not be familiar with the relationship between Gainax, Anno and money.

Jex

Aigis said:

I still like Eva TV's ending better in a way though. EoE is a masterpiece but it's not really necessary.
So, you're firehawk's sock puppet!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
zeroshiki said:
My favorite part is that the almost all the budget he did have went towards the EVA-less school harem parody.

Dresden

Dororon Enma-kun Gorogoro:

Good episode. The chase scene dragged out a little too long, but the ending was manly enough to make up for it.

P1sv1l.jpg

Articalys said:
Do you think people will be happier or more upset if Rebuild eventually has a definite, somewhat comprehensible ending?

That depends on what the ending will actually be. They could flip all the fans the bird a third time and come up with something definite, comprehensible, and totally awful, such as Love Conquers All or The Earth Blows Up and Humanity Perishes Total.

zeroshiki

Unknown Soldier said:
That depends on what the ending will actually be. They could flip all the fans the bird a third time and come up with something definite, comprehensible, and totally awful, such as Love Conquers All or The Earth Blows Up and Humanity Perishes Total.

This would be glorious and I hope happens now.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Unknown Soldier said:
We all know it's going to happen. All Anno ever makes are lead-ups to the most glorious birdie-flipping in animation. Seriously, the man's a master troll, don't expect anything less from him, and it's not just LOLITROLLU trolling, this is malicious, meticulous trolling, trying to spill his guts, everyone totally misses the point, and he just chucks it down a flight of stairs. This is what makes him awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aigis said:

Ooo, a half-brofist for you.

Although, the beginning of EoE makes it a masterpiece I guess.

---

Arjuna is a show that makes me hate environmentalists. I will leave my lights on all day just to spite it. Also, Krissu is a fucking level 5 vegan who doesn't eat food that casts a shadow. What a douche!

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Ooo, a half-brofist for you.

Although, the beginning of EoE makes it a masterpiece I guess.

---

Arjuna is a show that makes me hate environmentalists. I will leave my lights on all day just to spite it. Also, Krissu is a fucking level 5 vegan who doesn't eat food that casts a shadow. What a douche!

Vegetables... cast... shadows... too?

Earth Maiden Arjuna 01-03 - I like this show, I want to watch more of it now... it's good. It is heavy-handed in its environmental, and anti-nuclear, messaging, but even so so far I mostly like it. The story is about Arjuna, a girl who died in a car accident, at which time the Guardian of Earth, a sick boy named Chris (who is telepathic and can't talk, so he talks through this young girl who can mentally hear what he wants to say and says it for him), realized that she was the next guardian and offered to save her, if she'd stop the evil things threatening the earth's future. She didn't want to, but he'd only bring her back to life if she agreed and she decided she wanted to live, so she did, and got up off of the operating room (after being declared dead) and ran off. So, so far she's spent the series without a bra on; who knows about panties, she has a magic skirt. The show isn't particularly fanservicey, though. It's more about plot, action, and being confusing than anything else.

The show's action is decently well done. The show looks older than its 2001 age in a lot of ways (the plot is something out of the early '90s, for instance), and the CG is pretty bad, too. On top of that, it's a confusing show that you definitely need to pay attention to to make much sense of. Even so, I was enjoying myself by the third episode. The stories are interesting and fairly well done, and the show has some solid drama as the events progress. The story and writing are so far definitely better than the characters, but as I prefer story to characters that's alright. Even if the characters are too often annoying, the story they're in is interesting and mostly well told (the long, moralizing lecture parts aside, those are just gratuitous).

As for the characters, they are somewhat annoying. First, Arjuna's male friend is really annoying. I kind of want him to go away, he's a complete pain. Second, I hope that Arjuna gets more competent as the series progresses, she has some potential but so far has spent too much time so far being useless and complaining. And then in the few times when she DOES try to do something, Chris shows up and criticizes her for attacking the badguys! Okay, he's right --
the badguys are just creations of humanity's bad treatment of the planet, so they should be pitied/helped out of evil/something like that, if possible
-- but still, if there's a better way, TELL HER! Instead, he just acts unhappy that she can't just magically figure out what he thinks the best way to act is, without him ever having to tell her. It's pretty stupid, if you want her to understand you, tell her. It's not hard, Chris...

Also, yeah, it is quite blatant with its moralizing. This kind of thing does that, and it is kind of annoying, when it gets into it. It could be worse, though. At least the plot sort of explains why humans actually do these things, instead of just using idiotic Captain Planet-style "they pollute because they are evil and want to pollute for the heck of it" idiocy. That was too simplistic, this show has a little bit more to it.

However, as I've said, overall I like the show. Sure, the characters aren't great and it's very moralistic, but well, first, I agree with the message somewhat -- I do think global warming is our greatest threat now. Overly moralizing stuff is often annoying anyway, even if I agree with the message, but even so, that I somewhat do does help a bit.

Also, even though it's confusing (I need to watch the first two episodes again and pay a lot more attention, I wasn't watching closely enough and got very confused), what I did understand of the plot worked well enough. The story's decently good, it's interesting, and I'm definitely interested in seeing what happened next, as well as rewatching eps 1 and 2. The story's kind of weird, but eh, it works... I mean, Arjuna needs to learn about how to be a guardian somehow, why not just dump her in the forest alone so she can learn about survival and such? It's not nice, but they are watching so she isn't in too much danger. And before, the plan to have the annoying guy get in trouble so she'd have to rescue her was too dangerous (that's not nice, Chris), but it did work in getting her to instinctively use her powers, while she'd been saying that she didn't know how (which was important, when a monster was threatening to cause a nuclear reactor to leak with its attack). But flaws or no, Earth Maiden Arjuna as some problems for sure, but overall I like it anyway. Through episode 3 I'd say that it's a good show.

Glass Fleet 01 - Um... yeah. Indeed that was pretty bad. The bizarre setting -- that mixture of horse-drawn carriages, archaic clothing, fireworks meaning surrender, the weird ships with giant shields on them, tape-reel machine computer output (for conversations, etc), walking in space (is there a bulb of artificial air around this asteroid? That's my only guess. It's plausible, but they don't explain it.), the crazy costumes... design-wise this show is really unique, and that makes it interesting. Weirdly interesting certainly, but interesting for sure. Nothing else looks quite like this.

But the plot, the writing, the script... SO SO SO BAD! And that latter part is why this show's so bad -- the writing, story, plot, etc. are all just atrociously bad. This was painful stuff to watch. Too bad, but yeah, this does look pretty bad. I mean, the whole thing was just so poorly thought through, it makes no sense some of the time and is just stupid the rest of the time. Why do the people at the wedding start cheering when the rebels take over? The people aren't necessarily going to just support the rebels simply because they're lower class... and why do the rebels win so easily on the ground? Those soldiers really don't have weapons better than that? This show makes no sense. And that's just a couple of things, so much about this episode didn't make sense... and apparently the series doesn't get better. I'm not sure if I want to watch or not...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
A true vegan would survive on sunlight alone.
Exactly!

A Black Falcon said:
But flaws or no, Earth Maiden Arjuna as some problems for sure, but overall I like it anyway. Through episode 3 I'd say that it's good.
I bet Captain Planet was better than this... and didn't make me hate the environment!

zeroshiki

But you'd be depriving other creatures/plants of that sunlight as well.

Clearly, the epitome of veganism is to kill yourself and give back to the soil as fertilizer.

Izayoi

Banned
A Channel 5 - It took five whole episodes until there was a beach episode. Quite frankly, I'm shocked.

Astarotte 6 - Lol @ the sage. Asuha is adorable.

Deadman Wonderland 5 - Oh lawd. Well, at least things finally started to get interesting. Was on the verge of dropping it but I'll definitely continue now.

Gosick 17 - Hell yeah, motherfucker. Such an awesome anime. So much badass and so much adorable, all in one episode.

Nichijou 7 - Way slower than the previous episode, but it still had its moments. The train skit and Mio's sister fucking with Nano in particular were great. I also loved the new ending.

Tiger and Bunny 7 - TigerxBlueRose for life. Another great episode. Dat after credits scene.
Are they really so dumb they can't recognize his voice? At least he looks the part of an insane murderer.

Nichijou 07 - This show is so, so awesome... show of the season indeed. First there's a completely unexpected, but awesome, long drama scene. It's about a coup attempt on an airship, where the general is betraying his king and is trying to steal the all-important little wooden blocks that somehow are the keys to the superweapon. It's all done pretty seriously, which is what makes it so awesome when the payoff finally comes... and it was pretty funny stuff. What happened to the general... :lol :lol After that the ending of the scene was predictable, mostly, but still amusing. That was good stuff.

After that the rest of the episode was more conventional Nichijou, but it was just as good. This was another great, funny episode. Robot girl has her key taken off at one point, she's so happy... and then the woman puts it back. Good stuff. :) And then the baseball game, those three are so dysfunctional together... it works perfectly. :D I'd say more, but I don't like spoiling things when the humor's so reliant on seeing the craziness as it unfolds.

Oh, and blue haired girl sees robot girl, and notices the key. Don't pay too much attention to her, she'll disrupt your oh so normal life with the reality of her being a robot! (Oh wait... normal?) :)

AnoHana 05 - You have awesome friends, Anaru...

But yeah, as always with this show, it's fantastic. Every episode leaves me wanting to watch the next one, to see what will happen in the end in this show.

So Yukiatsu's getting closer to them now. That's good, maybe now he can begin the healing process. He seems to recognize that having them learn the truth of how far he has gone might help, which is a good start. And he also lets out that he blames himself for her death too. From what we've seen I don't see it, she just ran off as she'd been doing already, going after Jinta (Jinta and Anaru still have by far the best cases for blaming themselves), but he blames himself anyway because, of course, of what happened after she ran off. Understandable for sure.

Also, the Poppo/Menma/Jinta scene at the end was really interesting. He's talking about helping her move on, but all she really wants at the moment is to be able to talk to the rest of them, and not just Jinta, and doesn't know about moving on or why she's here and not in heaven or anything like that, his questions make her cry in frustration. Sad stuff. :( Hopefully there's some kind of good resolution at the end of this series, but I wonder what it'll be...

Jex

Tiger & Bunny 7: Enter the Lunatic

This show doesn't absolutely wow me as it continues to pull from the realm of traditional superhero stories but it remains well made and entertaining.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
How the hell do you have all this time to watch all these animes and level a character in Tera to 50?
Miracles.

Being unemployed gives you a lot of free time.

Pachael said:
Slightly old: Both Negima! movie and Hayate movie are to be broadcast in cinemas at the same time on 8/27. Double-billed together! And advertised on both Magazine and Sunday.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-1894.html#more
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-14/hayate-negima-films-double-billed-on-august-27

What the heck, guys. I feel so much, uh, love~
That's awesome. I'm excited for both.

-----

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 1-3 - Aw shit. Got the Blu-rays a few days ago and I decided to finally start watching this. I only saw about seven episodes of the original, so I'm going into this pretty much blind. Amazing so far, can't wait to see the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom