• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

icarus-daedelus said:
well, if Penguin Drum Apocalypse is the next Star Driver sucks out loud I promise I'll quit anime forever and go right back to watching shit movies on netflix all the time. so it kind of works itself out.
There is nothing greater in this world then watching shit movies on netflix while high. I am not even kidding.

iavi

Uchip said:
wish i could still smoke :(
I hear you. I've been job hunting, so those endeavors are on hold for myself even.

Anohana 9

I'm not sure where this is going anymore, but you know, I'm perfectly cool with that. I've been thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that anohana's strengh is not its core premise but those characters. The fact that ive hung with this silly premise for as long as I have kind of speaks for itself.

I also lol'd at the heavy handed plothole filling. Dump that sand right on in, writers.

Negator

Suite Precure 16

Oh my god, this is the first precure ever that I'm going to drop. I couldn't even get 5 minutes into the episode without cringing at least three times. I hate this show. I want my Heartcatch Precure back.

survivor said:
Quick question, Eureka Seven, dub, sub or doesn't matter?

I watched it sub, but the only thing to remember about E7 is that you should NEVER hesitate to fast-forward through or even skip episodes which seem to be going nowhere. Because they are. The show is about 75% fillers and 25% actual things happening.

icarus-daedelus said:
currently watching Highlander (the original) and wondering if this might'nt improve the experience immeasurably.

The original Highlander is something of a cult classic, and rightfully so. The whole rest of the franchise is massive quantities of immeasurable dreck.

Instro

Unknown Soldier said:
The original Highlander is something of a cult classic, and rightfully so. The whole rest of the franchise is massive quantities of immeasurable dreck.

The TV show was better than any of the movies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The World Only God Knows II Episode 9

LMAO when the student-teacher is panning the classroom and sees Keima playing his Virtual Boy.

Trojita

Maybe they had some success with sales from Shuffle and think
terribly
that this one will bring them success as well.

Prince of Tennis 45

Akutsu is a pretty cool villain, what with him being a total psycho douche as a kid and all. Love him teleporting all over the court as well.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Prince of Tennis 45

Akutsu is a pretty cool villain, what with him being a total psycho douche as a kid and all. Love him teleporting all over the court as well.

are you up to the "acrobatic tennis" battle yet?
I think my brain started leaking at that point

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cosmicblizzard said:
Prince of Tennis 45

Bail the fuck out. I think around 70 or something, you hit nothing but fillers. Honestly, I'd say just skip right to the OVA Finales.

Jex

simtmb said:
I know this is asking a fair bit, but i may as well. You guys got any suggestions of series from 2008 till now?
Well, there isn't a whole lot, but here are a few titles of note, arranged by genre:

Comedy

Astro Fighter Sunred - this work starts out as a parody of Power Rangers/Sentai type shows, but moves into the realm of more general comedy as well.

Detroit Metal City - another comedy, perhaps even more absurd than the one above, about a mild mannered country boy who comes to the big city to make his name as pop musician. Things don't work out quite like that and he ends up the lead singer in a death metal band, with hilarious consequences.

Assorted

Genius Party - a collection of short movies from Studio 4°C created by a variety of different directors and animators. If you're a fan of short animation collections, such as Robot Carnival a few of these may interest you, even if they vary in quality.

Michiko e Hatchin - this show is a little harder to pin down. Wikipedia suggests action adventure, which seems somewhat accurate but that doesn't paint the full picture. The story essentially follows a mother and daughter as they travel across a Brazil-esque country in search of a man, kind of. It's a tale that ranges from comedy to romance to action and even dips it's toes in drama.

Tatami Galaxy - I don't really know how to sell this work. It's very odd? It has a great style and fantastic animation? The protagonist speaks a thousand words a minute? It's unique? None of these seem to do an adequate job explaining why you might like this work. If you see Kaiba and like it, this is by the same director, so there's a chance you'll enjoy his brand of strangeness in this work as well.

Science Fiction

Kaiba - A science fiction series set in a place where minds and memories can be easily transferred or moved from one body to another with great ease and the various problematic consequences that arise from such actions. If that sounds like some cold sci-fi along the lines of Ghost in the Shell you'd be right in principle but wrong in execution, as Kaiba is far 'warmer' then that, being practically a romance show in it's own right.

Casshern Sins - The world lies in ruin. Both human and robot alike are finding their numbers dwindling away. Casshern wonders the waste lands alone, blamed with destroying the world and under constant attack by human and robot alike he travels to help recover his memories and learn how the world brought to destruction. With totally kick-ass fighting scenes. This show may be a bit grim for some.

Time of Eve - A short six episode series/movie which tells the tale of a world where human-like robots work and live with people on a regular basis. The concept is hardly unique but the execution is excellent and, for the most part, charming as well. I've only see the series but I understand that the movie combines all the episodes with additional footage, which might be the best version to watch.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble - do you like Trigun? They made more of it, in movie form! Took them long enough.

Supernatural

Natsume's Book of Friends - the easiest comparison here would be Mushi-Shi or xxxHoLiC, if you're familiar with those works. If not, then it's a story where the protagonist, Nastume, has the ability to see and interact with various mythological beings, who generally need some odd task completed. Light hearted, charming and fairly whimsical go watch the first two seasons now before the third airs in summer!

Gambling

One Outs - Like Kaiji and Akagi, One Outs is a tale of high-stakes gambling and totally insane psychological warfare.

Drama and relationships

Aoi Hana - a serious business yuri/lesbian show set at a highschool, directed by the director of Honey and Clover.

Spice and Wolf - this shows ardent fanbase will likely explain the appeal of this medieval wolf-girl and her odd companion better than I. Suffice to say it largely resolves around a strong central relationship and occasionally some economic discussion.

Wandering Son - a serious business show about gender identity show, set in a highschool. The original work is by the creator of Aoi Hana, which is why the character work leans towards the realistic end of the spectrum.

Pretty Colours

Ponyo, it's still senile Miyazaki, but this time he embraces his disregard for plot and makes an entire movie about pretty things happening, one after another.

There are plenty more, but that should hopefully do for starters.

Nichijou 10 - This show needs less Mai trolling. Some of it's funny, but there's way too much of it. Still though, overall this was a pretty funny episode as always.

Battle Girls 08 - Good episode. This episode is about our three main characters' continuing trip towards the place with the other armor parts. In this one, they run into some difficulties, go off the road, and get lost. They can't keep going along the normal route because bad rumors about Nobunaga had spread -- that she ate the children of women in her area, specifically. It was all a backfired plan by her underling, jealous of how Nobunaga seems to be paying more attention to our heroine than her, sent out ninjas to spread good rumors about her. It didn't quite work right and the rumors... changed in transit, as such things sometimes do, so now everyone flees from them on sight. Good stuff. :)

So, they end up traveling cross country, through some ridiculous terrain, such as going straight up cliffs. The main character realizes how tough life is in this world, and is getting skeptical about how long she'll survive here... life is much harder and shorter than in modern Japan, to say the least, and she's not exactly prepared for all the walking and danger. Later on she gets sick with a cold. Nobunaga does what she can, but there's not much to do. Luckily the other person from modern times (her teacher I think?), the one whose portal our idiot heroine fell through, was in the area and secretly dropped off a cold pill for her, which Nobunaga gave her. The main character still doesn't know who the teacher is here, though, I think...

Anyway, so in the end they get to their destination. Looks like there'll be a fight now, these people won't just give up the armor pieces...

tiff said:
Sounds almost exactly like Reversible!
Well, sort of, except Reversible School Life has all the students in dresses sometimes, while in Princess Princess it's only a couple of them.

Articalys said:
Additionally, due to poor sales, they won't bother renewing Higurashi, nor will they ever bother to license Higurashi Kai or Umineko.

I'm glad Funimation won't be going near that abomination which doesn't deserve to have the Umineko name attached to it. Ryukishi07 deserves better than DEEN.

On the other hand, the Higurashi anime, while dramatically inferior to the VN, was actually decent, so it's too bad it won't get a proper English release. I'm surprised that Funimation would be so harsh as to say they will stay away from any series "that bears even a minor resemblance" to it. What could they be referring to?

Of course, I don't know how Funimation expects to make money when they do things like

Out of all the series from the Spring 2011 season, Funimation decides to license Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai (We Without Wings).

license the worst show of this season. Maybe it's cheap, but that doesn't excuse passing over good shows for complete trash.

Gvaz

Banned
I know I'm gonna get ragged on but Divergence Eve has got amazing sound design but a shitty plot and too much fanservice.

I'm just finishing up Misaki Chronicles now.

mAcOdIn

I like Jexhius's list.

I like the Spice and Wolf pic from before but am saddened by not being able to read the scan.

ABF still not starting Genshiken pains me.

Uchip said:
are you up to the "acrobatic tennis" battle yet?
I think my brain started leaking at that point

So every match with Kinukmaru, or a specific match? If it's the latter, nope.

shintoki said:
Bail the fuck out. I think around 70 or something, you hit nothing but fillers. Honestly, I'd say just skip right to the OVA Finales.

I just want to see crazy DBZ tennis battles like the one from the movie. Still waiting on that :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cosmicblizzard said:
I just want to see crazy DBZ tennis battles like the one from the movie. Still waiting on that :/
Never going to happen, the series is more grounded. But the OVAs get a bit closer to it.

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Well, sort of, except Reversible School Life has all the students in dresses sometimes, while in Princess Princess it's only a couple of them.
It's the same idea, though!

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'm surprised that Funimation would be so harsh as to say they will stay away from any series "that bears even a minor resemblance" to it. What could they be referring to?

I was thinking they meant they wouldn't license anything that was an adaptation to any of R07's stuff.

Of course, even if they wanted to they probably couldn't anyway.

Trojita

I couldn't wait till the rest of The World Only God Knows II episodes come out so I started reading the manga starting with where episode 9 left off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
well, if Penguin Drum Apocalypse is the next Star Driver sucks out loud I promise I'll quit anime forever and go right back to watching shit movies on netflix all the time. so it kind of works itself out.
You can restart your Key watch through!

mAcOdIn

hosannainexcelsis said:
Of course, I don't know how Funimation expects to make money when they do things like

license the worst show of this season. Maybe it's cheap, but that doesn't excuse passing over good shows for complete trash.
Well Funi's in it for the money not the art. I figure a lot of the anime fans left in the US buying legit releases legitimately buy trash on average and Funi happens to be able to license the trash for particularly cheap so it's a Win/Win.

I mean I'd love to sit here and tell them they don't know what they're doing and that if they instead just licensed good shows that they'd do better but the honest truth is they'd probably do worse, the good stuff probably doesn't sell as well and since for the most part they've been profitable they probably do know what they're doing.

My only real gripe with that situation from a business perspective is I feel it traps them in that cycle, they can't ever really hope to grow or expand their market when they willingly pander to the type of anime fan who just watches "ecchi" anime however they probably feel they have little choice on the matter as their hands are also tied by what Japan does as well so if Japan's not exactly bursting at the seems with genuinely good, mature, content that's good outside the context of anime then they can't really bank on having those titles to bring over consistently and enlarging their audience.

Tiger & Bunny 11
Please be ok Origami. ;_;

Edit: also watching Tiger and Bunny on Hulu plus over a 3G connection is not the way to go.

Kemonozume 10

Ooba is nuts. Dude's got some long flesh eater arms.

I assume shit's about to hit the fan as the medicine becomes more widespread.

jman2050

Denpa Onna 9

Erio comes back to the spotlight and reaffirms her status as best character. Also retard moe + baseball = excellent combination for my tastes. Also some Kana Hanazawa for you obsessed fans out there.

On a related note, Team Denpa would like to officially declare a vote of no confidence in Team AnoHana.

Dresden

I don't follow Choo - I know vaguely that he's some kind of a blogger - but I guess he's developing a show? Or trying to develop one?

Because... lol. Is this a joke? It's like he's fapping on the screen to design this giant fucking Mary Sue harem lead.

This is the character profile for Eiji

Name: Eiji Seiun [星雲永時](せいうんえいじ)
Birthday: December 24
Height: 175cm
Blood type: O
Classmate of Mirai and Kanata
Bright personality with an optimistic outlook even in the bleakest of situations.
Would suddenly disappear from time to time only to be found doing something brave and crazy.
Can be seen from time to time looking out to sea or at a sunset deep in thought.
Average grades in all subjects apart from Mecha and Exoskeleton Industrial Design.
Folks think that there is a possibility that Eiji likes Mirai
Works in a restaurant part time after school.
Hobby is watching anime, reading manga, collecting figures, dakimakura and dolls.
Eiji also loves music and can be often heard singing during battle or during his part time job as a waiter.
Eiji loves language and apart from his mother tongue of Japanese and English, he is also learning and speaks some Chinese, Korean, French, Spanish and German. If he is not listening to music on his headphones then hes listening to language learning material.
Weapon of choice is the Sonic Naginata [ソニック薙刀]. A Naginata is a Japanese halberd.

Father is Japanese, Mother is British.

Instro

Ano Hana 9
I like that they tried to explain the reason for Menma not trying to contact the rest of the group earlier.

jman2050

Instro said:
Ano Hana 9
I like that they tried to explain the reason for Menma not trying to contact the rest of the group earlier.

By not actually explaining it at all?

Yeah, I got a kick out of that too.

Instro

jman2050 said:
By not actually explaining it at all?

Yeah, I got a kick out of that too.
"Why didn't they do this earlier"

"Because Menma and Jintan are stupid"

Thanks for clearing that one up for me guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom