• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
7Th said:
Animation Production: Satelight

Can't be helped.

duckroll said:
Just watched Gunpla Builders. It had pretty solid action, and overall good pace for a short 40min promotional OVA thing. Good designs, good action, not much down time at all. It's pretty silly as a commercial, because it's promoting the fact that you don't have to care about Gundam or know anything about the anime franchise to just buy the models and make them (it's true, but as a Gundam fan I dislike how Sunrise is basically legitimizing posers who are only interested in Gunpla), but it was an entertaining short anyway.

Bearguy > *

Best gundam related thing in ages!

Sket Dance 10

Eh, haven't seen Kimi ni Todoke, so the parody meant nothing to me. The main plot wasn't executed very well;
the teacher was too much of a cackling villain and came out of nowhere.
Sket-dan's interactions with each other still made it worth watching though.

Izayoi

Banned
A Channel 8, 9, and 10 – I really, really love Miporin. Her, Tooru, and the teachers continue being the only worthwhile characters in the show. Pancakes! I made pancakes just this morning, too. How appropriate. I fucking love Winter and the snow. Episode 10 was great. Feels wrong to be watching this when it's 80 degrees out, but oh well.

Ano Hana 9 – Crossdresser dude continues being a selfish, vindictive prick. Impossible to take this show seriously anymore. If it weren't almost over already I'd drop it. The ending is now visible from twenty miles away and there is no mystery or intrigue. Amazing what a writer's block can do to a good idea.

Ao no Exorcist 8 – Great episode. Hopefully the filler was just a one-off and won't be happening on a regular basis.

Astarotte no Omocha! 9 and 10 – I'm still in disbelief that it took nine episodes before we saw the beach. Mist is an exhibitionist, go figure. Asuha really is the star of the show.

[C] 8 – Holy shit. So Mashu
was his daughter, then. All of that fanart can be looked at in a slightly different way, eh?
It seemed a little rushed, but otherwise a good episode.

Deadman Wonderland 7 – Character development, in my shitty wangstime? Ironic that
Ganta created the thing that is now his worst enemy.
Cliche, but ironic nonetheless. I definitely don't see this ending in time. Cliffhanger incoming.

Denpa Onna 8 and 9 – Shotas really do ruin everything, don't they? Poor Cattle-san. ;_; Ugh, the first thing you see in episode 9 is that stupid face that I hate. Oh god, scooter girl. WAIT, NO. COME BACK!

Gosick 20 – I'm glad they're back together again. The show just doesn't work as well with them apart.

Hanasaku Iroha 10 – Nako is such a good girl. Ohana is just being stupid, though. They're just going to go all out with the NTR and reverse-NTR, huh? Some kind of dream world thing now? A mysterious fox spirit who obviously is going to play a large role later on? Not quite sure what it is, but I'm getting a little tired of all this.

Nichijou 10 – EHHHHH. The whole town is full of trolls. Amazing. I can sympathize with Yukko's plight all too well. I'm the worst procrastinator on the face of the planet, especially when it comes to homework. The after-credits made it so perfect.

Tiger and Bunny 10 – Please tell me this is going to be more than 12 episodes. Fucking awesome. Poor Tiger needs to retire after all of this is done, though.

jman2050

Ano Hana 9

Well-written and well executed shows tend you make you believe in the world and characters they've created, letting you get swept up in the moment and ignore obvious implausibilities and logical inconsistencies for the sake of the story.

Shows like this one, on the other hand, put those implausibilities on center stage to be torn apart, mocked, and laughed at.

And right on cue, Iroha decides to jump on the crazy soap opera bus itself. Looking forward to seeing how that show falls apart.

Izayoi

Banned
Dresden said:
25 episodes.
Amazing. This could turn out being the best show of the season. Ano Hana is pretty much completely out of the running at this point, and Iroha will be too here pretty soon if it keeps going in the direction that it is.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I love how you people are having heart attacks over a DREAM SEQUENCE in HanaIro 10.
Oh please, you know that they wouldn't put as much emphasis on the girl and the fox as they did if it was just a dream sequence.

tiff said:
It's becoming more and more abundantly clear that the show is anti-panties as heck.
I, for one, approve of this recent anti-panty sentiment.

Articalys

Nichijou 11
Well, there's 20 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.
I just realized something depressing: since hitting it big with Haruhi, KyoAni has done nothing but Key adaptations and moe slice-of-life comedies. I hope this bombs hard enough to shock them out of this trend.

jman2050

Hidan no Aria 9

I don't even know where to begin.

I'm waiting for some of you other nutjobs to watch this cause I'm sure many of you will do a much better job of vocalizing what I just saw than I would.

jman2050 said:
Hidan no Aria 9

I don't even know where to begin.

I'm waiting for some of you other nutjobs to watch this cause I'm sure many of you will do a much better job of vocalizing what I just saw than I would.

I already watched it like 2 pages ago! And I posted about it too! Do I take this to mean that you don't actually read the pages of the thread you missed before you post?

Izayoi said:
Oh please, you know that they wouldn't put as much emphasis on the girl and the fox as they did if it was just a dream sequence.

Really? So you actually think just from the short appearance of the girl and the fox in Ohana's dream that the whole show is going to jump the shark and bring in supernatural elements? Nevermind that the dream takes place in a Shinto shrine and the girl and the fox would naturally appear in such a place?

jman2050

Unknown Soldier said:
I already watched it like 2 pages ago!

Q: When a sexually frustrated girl locks you and her in an empty room with no fear of anyone walking in and clearly propositions you by taking off her clothes under the covers, what do you do?

A:
Escape out of the window while her head is down, of course!

Come on, you can't tell me that wasn't completely hilarious.

Unknown Soldier said:
And I posted about it too! Do I take this to mean that you don't actually read the pages of the thread you missed before you post?

I tend to avoid summaries of shows I haven't watched yet. So I guess I forgot!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sekai-Hat 10.

Now that both of the sub stories are out of the way, back to the main. Thought I preferred the Kisa X Ko more than Ritsu's.

jman2050 said:
Q: When a sexually frustrated girl locks you and her in an empty room with no fear of anyone walking in and clearly propositions you by taking off her clothes under the covers, what do you do?

A:
Escape out of the window while her head is down, of course!

Come on, you can't tell me that wasn't completely hilarious.

Meh, my favorite parts of the show are the Grade A+ action B-movie homage sequences. The harem stuff doesn't really do it for me.

The parts with Riko dressed up as Aria and then Riko and Kinji in the classroom were funnier. It might be because I like Riko more than Shirayuki overall.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started Hidan no Aria

I heard Rie Kugimiya's voice.

DJHbb.jpg

Jex

Lain said:
AnoHana 9
Anaru's shirt fits her perfectly.
What a strangely specific comment. Such fitting is hardly unusual to anime.
Izayoi said:
Amazing. This could turn out being the best show of the season. Ano Hana is pretty much completely out of the running at this point, and Iroha will be too here pretty soon if it keeps going in the direction that it is.
What.

iavi

Articalys said:
Nichijou 11
I just realized something depressing: since hitting it big with Haruhi, KyoAni has done nothing but Key adaptations and moe slice-of-life comedies. I hope this bombs hard enough to shock them out of this trend.
Welcome to the club, brother

Trojita

Oh Funimation's bring over Baka to Test with a Blu-ray/DVD combo? The DVD's are wholely unneccesary and I wish the price would have been cheaper without including them, but I'll still pick it up.

I'll need to wait until a sale to pick up High School of the Dead, Xam'd, Demon King Daimou (isn't that just repeating the same word again?), both Spice and Wolf seasons, Garei Zero (Was this any good?), FLCL, Soul Eater, Evangelion 2.22, and possibly Angel Beats on Blu-ray even though I don't know if I could see myself watching it again lol.

Was Dance in the Vampire Bund any good? Was Eden of The East any good?

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Articalys said:
Nichijou 11

K-On was better than Haruhi though.

Jex

duckroll said:
Team Ohana flawless victory?
There's no two ways about it. The latest Ano Hana was spectacularly stupid, in nearly every way that I can think of.
survivor said:
Hanasaku Iroha 9

Well that was a terrible episode. Also poor Ko.
What.

Trojita

Oh I forgot, I might pick up Yu Yu Hakusho Season 1 Blu-ray right away once my new tv gets delivered. I spent all that money on the seasons on DVD though ;_;

Man it would have been so much better had Hunter x Hunter been released by Funimation during the height of the anime boom, maybe we would have gotten a blu-ray release for that as well.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Really? So you actually think just from the short appearance of the girl and the fox in Ohana's dream that the whole show is going to jump the shark and bring in supernatural elements?
I never implied that. I'm just worried they're going to spin it into something ridiculous. Though it would be better than what the show is currently doing I guess.

Jexhius said:
It's going nowhere. We've known that what's-his-face is in love with Ohana for like five or six episodes now. We've known that she has no intentions of leaving the inn. The show is is not moving anywhere.

Jex

Erigu said:
Anohana 9

... I don't even know anymore.
What is this story about, again?
And where is it going?
First, there's that "can Menma only write stuff in her diary?" thing, which I don't even...
She could also write on the walls of the Super Peace Buster hideout. I'm pretty sure it's tied to that location.
Articalys said:
I've never seen a show that looked so promising then went downhill so fast.
You have so many shows to watch!

Izayoi said:
I never implied that. I'm just worried they're going to spin it into something ridiculous. Though it would be better than what the show is currently doing I guess.

It's going nowhere. We've known that what's-his-face is in love with Ohana for like five or six episodes now. We've known that she has no intentions of leaving the inn. The show is is not moving anywhere.

First off, this is a slice-of-life show. It's about the characters and their interactions, not about fast-moving drama. The beauty of episode 10 was showing how integrated into the life of Kissuiso Ohana had become and the bonds she had formed with each person there.

Second, if you do want drama, just watch Episode 11. Things sure go somewhere in that episode. Don't throw Hanasaku Iroha away just as it gets really good again because of a fox in a fever dream.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HanaIro 11: Funny, I was perfectly willing to accept genki Ohana as a reasonable character. In fact, I had no problem with her just randomly ditching work in order to find Tohru... but this episode was just idiotic. If this Ko thing doesn't come to a head next week - either way - then this show jumped the shark harder than AnoHana ever did.

I suppose if the point was to show how weak and pathetic Ohana really is and the show is moving into jdrama slit-your-wrist territory, it's fine. But they might as well have ended the episode with those two guys dragging her into their car at that point. :p

Articalys

For anyone doing AnoHana/Iroha comparisons, remember that the latter has twice as many episodes as the former, which makes a big difference for shows where character development is top priority.

tiff

Banned
Warms my heart to see people hating on HanaIro. Thought we were going to miss our quota for a second there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
For anyone doing AnoHana/Iroha comparisons, remember that the latter has twice as many episodes as the former, which makes a big difference for shows where character development is top priority.
My problem is that the tonal shift went one bridge too far for me. The fact that they added creepy raper douchebags at the end was the cherry on top.

jman2050

Articalys said:
Nichijou 11

Well Nichijou is currently tracking to sell like garbage so you may get your wish!

Izayoi

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
Second, if you do want drama, just watch Episode 11. Things sure go somewhere in that episode. Don't throw Hanasaku Iroha away just as it gets really good again because of a fox in a fever dream.
I didn't say I wanted drama. I just want development. This show is trying to do too many things at once, I think, and each thing is suffering for it. The way the show starts you think it's going to be a drama, and a couple episodes later it's trying to pitch itself as a laid-back, happy-go-lucky SoL, and now it's trying to mix both and it just isn't working.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:

But the show only got worse after episode 11, so how would that help?

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
This latest episode was silly.

What about it was silly? I thought people were clamoring for a more realistic ep where genki powers didn't work? Did I miss something? Did Ohana call some chick on her cellphone and made the magazine suddenly retract the review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom