• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Unknown Soldier said:
Cardcaptor Sakura 3:

I'm pretty sure Sakura's best friend is lesbian-infatuated with Sakura.

Sakura's infatuation with the high-school boy is really fucking wierd.

Watching Sakura's best friend and Cerberus stalking Sakura is pretty, uh, fuck man, I dunno.

Wow, nice jester costume. I can't fail to notice that Sakura's costumes always seem to feature a distinct lack of pants. She was the original Strike Witch long before anybody came up with Strike Witches more than half a decade later!

Took you till episode 3?!

Cardcaptor Sakura 4:

syqmwg.jpg

According to the Wikipedia entry, this show DOES have an overarching plot. With 70 episodes, I'm not expecting it to start anytime soon, but it had better fucking start at some point. I'm pretty much at the point where I "get" the main characters now, so I'd like for there to be a main storyline sooner rather than later!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Unknown Soldier said:
Cardcaptor Sakura 4:

syqmwg.jpg

According to the Wikipedia entry, this show DOES have an overarching plot. With 70 episodes, I'm not expecting it to start anytime soon, but it had better fucking start at some point. I'm pretty much at the point where I "get" the main characters now, so I'd like for there to be a main storyline sooner rather than later!

Oh, it has started.

zeroshiki said:
CCS is about cute girls being cute.

I don't understand how you excuse that in K-On but not in CCS.

OreNoImouto-13Kuroneko.jpg

I don't understand how you can conflate a serious plot-driven political drama like Maschera with a silly cuteness-driven fluff show like Stardust Witch Meruru!

Cardcaptor Sakura 5:

This show aired between 1998-2000. So it was made during the early digital era, originally with a 4:3 aspect which is properly windowboxed on my HDTV. However, close inspection of the picture makes it look like it wasn't made for SD digital, as it's pretty damn decent looking and seems to be cleaner than an upconvert of an SD digital program. It looks like it was animated the old-fashioned way, on cels, which were restored, transferred to a new master, and prepared especially for the HD release of this show.

Also somebody went through the trouble of remastering the soundtrack and creating a 5.1 channel surround mix. They did this for all 70 episodes. The scope of such an undertaking is pretty impressive, to say the least, and yes, they took all the original sound elements and placed them discretely in each channel, dialogue is placed entirely in the center channel, and when things fly around or Sakura does her magic, the sound is placed in the surround channels. The amount of effort that went into the remastering of this show is breathtaking, quite frankly. It is Madhouse though, I shouldn't be surprised.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Unknown Soldier said:
OreNoImouto-13Kuroneko.jpg

I don't understand how you can conflate a serious plot-driven political drama like Maschera with a silly cuteness-driven fluff show like Stardust Witch Meruru!

Cardcaptor Sakura 5:

This show aired between 1998-2000. So it was made during the early digital era, originally with a 4:3 aspect which is properly windowboxed on my HDTV. However, close inspection of the picture makes it look like it wasn't made for SD digital, as it's pretty damn decent looking and seems to be cleaner than an upconvert of an SD digital program. It looks like it was animated the old-fashioned way, on cels, which were restored, transferred to a new master, and prepared especially for the HD release of this show.

Also somebody went through the trouble of remastering the soundtrack and creating a 5.1 channel surround mix. They did this for all 70 episodes. The scope of such an undertaking is pretty impressive, to say the least, and yes, they took all the original sound elements and placed them discretely in each channel, dialogue is placed entirely in the center channel, and when things fly around or Sakura does her magic, the sound is placed in the surround channels. The amount of effort that went into the remastering of this show is breathtaking, quite frankly. It is Madhouse though, I shouldn't be surprised.
Cardcaptor Sakura was shot on 35mm film. Most TV animes were shot on 16mm.

It does not use new masters though. The old masters were just scanned in HD when they were made. CCS on Blu-ray is native HD and all, but it looks kinda crappy all things considered. Lots of bleeding, color errors, aliasing and such iirc. Example - notice the yellow on Sakura's chin and the color bleeding on the lines on her friend in the background. Another example - notice the yellow around her mouth and eyebrows. These are most likely artifacts from the old composite masters used for this.

Aigis said:
Cardcaptor Sakura was shot on 35mm film. Most TV animes were shot on 16mm.

It does not use new masters though. The old masters were just scanned in HD when they were made. CCS on Blu-ray is native HD and all, but it looks kinda crappy all things considered. Lots of bleeding, color errors, aliasing and such iirc. Example - notice the yellow on Sakura's chin and the color bleeding on the lines on her friend in the background. Another example - notice the yellow around her mouth and eyebrows. These are most likely artifacts from the old composite masters used for this.

I see nekomimi!

:3
:3333
:3333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Oh, right. Well, I don't know what episodes these screencaps are from, but if I see nekomimi anytime soon I'll keep an eye out for this screen and have a look.

Usually when a source is natively HD but has composite errors like this, it's an example of using an old digital videotape format like the D-series (D-1, D-2, etc.) during production. Since it was made during 1998-2000, I would guess something like DVCPRO HD or HDCAM was used for mastering from the 35mm cels, a digital videotape format used during that time with an interlaced resolution of 1440x1080i on the recorded media. For producing the Blu-rays of course they would up-sample the source to 1920x1080p and perform 3:2 pulldown to re-create the original 24fps timing of the film. I wonder if NHK still has the original film negatives themselves or if those were destroyed after mastering to tape.

Anyways.

Cardcaptor Sakura 6:

Wow, all of a sudden a serious character-development episode for Sakura. That came out of nowhere. Oh, and two costume changes in this episode! CLAMP really outdid themselves this episode! It actually had some actual real character-development too! It's the episode where Sakura sees her mom and captures The Illusion, for those of you following along with these posts. Anyways, it seems that the main story will begin at episode 8 when Syaoran arrives.

Blader

Oh Jesus, I hope this isn't true:

The Kartel - Will you be working on the next two Evangelion movies? There hasn’t been much news about them lately.

Iida - They haven’t even started pre-production on those yet. Well, pre-production has started, but the actual animation has not started yet. They are doing a lot of the story...pre-pre-production, you could call it?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Steroyd

Halycon said:
Thirded or whatever.

How can you enjoy K-ON and not CCS is beyond me. You must be an alien.

zeroshiki said:
CCS is about cute girls being cute.

I don't understand how you excuse that in K-On but not in CCS.

Guys guys GUYS that's not helping the CCS cause in the slightest.

trejo said:
Oh, is that so? Then maybe I don't wanna watch it after all.

See!? SEE WHAT I MEAN!!! LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID!!!

A Black Falcon said:
The first seven episodes weren't like that though. They just weren't.

True but it had passive sentences like "The queen sucked off guys at your age" from the first episode. Add in the reason for Noya being sent to succubus land in the first place and you only have yorself to blame for that false sense of security.

Anohana 10 It's getting better, but
not happened with the fireworks lol. Maybe everyone needed closure first?

Hanasuka Iroha 11 Plot is moving again.
Ohana is such a crybaby sometimes

Tenck

It's sad I'll probably only give the girly ones a chance. For some off reason, I've started to watch funny/romance/school ones.

Ashamed of my manly self!

I'm sitting here eating and browsing the web and I got to thinking. Cardcaptor Sakura was shot on 35mm film? All 70 episodes? My God, the budget for this show must have been fucking ridiculous, drawing and painting cels for 70 episodes by hand would have occupied the entire resources of Madhouse and several other contracted studios continuously for 2 years. They would have used tens of millions of feet (meters?) of 35 mm film for the production of the show. I really do wonder if there's a vault somewhere with all the film negatives for the show, somehow I doubt it, nobody would want to store that much film at tremendous cost. I wonder if the 2009 Blu-ray release of this show is as good as it will ever look, since the original film source elements are probably lost. Then again, all anime was produced that way in previous decades. Maybe the original film is still being stored somewhere in a vault in Japan. I would be shocked if Sunrise didn't have the original film elements of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series somewhere, that's practically a national treasure for Japan. :3

Cloudy

Banned
kiryogi said:
Anohana 10: Eff the haters. I enjoyed it! Team Anohana for this season! ! ! That said, it makes me really wish it was a 26 instead of a 11, then maybe it wouldn't have hit the issues it did in the recent episodes.

It's the best show I've seen in years. Why are all the good shows short? :(

Izayoi said:
Eden Eternal has a show? I was talking about the show, not the game.

Wakfu has a show? Well, I have no idea then. Huh, well Wikipedia says it's in French and is produced by a French studio entirely in Flash. So I dunno. Is it something worth watching, especially if you have no interest in playing the game?

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Is it something worth watching, especially if you have no interest in playing the game?
I just watched the first season. No interest in the game, I actually didn't even know it had a game until I was about halfway through the show.

It was a ton of fun, and the animation was downright fantastic through and through. Some really amazing fights.

The reason I asked is because I was curious if it'd be alright to discuss here.

Izayoi said:
I just watched the first season.

It was a ton of fun, and the animation was downright fantastic through and through. Some really amazing fights.

The reason I asked is because I was curious if it'd be alright to discuss here.

No idea, but it seems I finally got a tag. Sweet.

Speaking of Wikipedia, have you guys ever played a game on Wikipedia's Anime and Manga portal? It's like the game people play where they start at Wikipedia's front page and then count how few links they can click in articles until they get to the entry for World War II. But this game is, start at the front page of this portal, and see how few links you can click in from the front page until you reach the entry for Evangelion.

Go ahead, I'll wait. My record is 2, and it's only not 1 because I've never been at the portal when something Eva-related happened to be showcased on it. :3

Jex

Azazel-San 11

I thought the last two-part arc was pretty damn amazing, probably because it focuses solely on the core cast, but this was fairly great too. They had a lot of fun making the landlady amazing.

zeroshiki

Hanasaku Iroha 12

Bah, no Ohana brigade tonight. You all suck for leaving me alone.

Its like they write these episodes to cater to firehawk's complaints. Oh yeah? Too contrived? How about this one?!

So much sadness in this episode ;_; I hope they make it happier next ep. I'm not sure I can take Ohana being sad much more.

Kaper

Hidan no Aria - 10 show of the forever! I was having trouble holding on to my laughter the entire episode, but I totally lost it at
Kinji's special training

Jex

Hanasaku Iroha 12

This episode started off pretty weird. At first I thought the writers had no idea what was going on because Ohana was rambling like a crazy lady. But when everyone else went out of there way to comment on how Ohana wasn't making any sense, and as they spoke perfectly normally, I can only assume it was deliberate.

More important was the Ohana/Ko plotline
which was apparently resolved in a non-anime fashion with both parties realising they have changed. Or maybe this won't be the end of it, with so many episodes left. It would be cool if they ended it here though.

Thankfully, an event threatened early on did not come to pass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Hanasaku Iroha 12
More important was the Ohana/Ko plotline
which was apparently resolved in a non-anime fashion with both parties realising they have changed. Or maybe this won't be the end of it, with so many episodes left. It would be cool if they ended it here though.

L. O. L. They're clearly saving that for the end, since they've run out of ideas.

zeroshiki said:
Its like they write these episodes to cater to firehawk's complaints. Oh yeah? Too contrived? How about this one?!
As I said in the OT, I'm done. :lol

Jex

firehawk12 said:
L. O. L. They're clearly saving that for the end, since they've run out of ideas.
I do wonder why this show has so many episodes left.
icarus-daedelus said:
I've decided Beautiful Dreamer is a better dream movie than Inception AND Paprika.
Of course! Parika is a better film movie than it is a dream movie.

Jex

Miri said:
Combating the moe-driven ferocity of TeamHanaIro is a tough task indeed, nearly impossible.
Fighting the facts is bad for your health.
Dresden said:
Still waiting for the sword fight on a snowy bridge.
If the second half of the show involves a Lady Snowblood-esque scenario that leaves Ohana training as a deadly samurai I wouldn't say no.
icarus-daedelus said:
Beautiful Dreamer is also better in the absolute sense, but I had to justify the comparison somehow.
Well it is the awakening of real-Oshii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom