• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

BluWacky said:
Madoka Magica is only technically seinen in that its manga adaptations run in seinen magazines
There's only one spin-off that's serialized, actually.
As for the Manga Time Kirara family of magazines and comics being "seinen manga"... Yeah, I guess you could say that. Not exactly the first kind of "seinen manga" that would come to my mind, but that probably is the demographic they're going after, indeed.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Articalys said:
Still finding it difficult to accept that the blue/purple-ish hair colored character is a guy. Those eyelashes...

Is that from the official site or something?
The character designer for Penguin Drum:
Lily Hoshino (星野 リリィ Hoshino Lily?) is a manga artist known for her boys love works,
yeah

Dali

duckroll said:
sugfQ.jpg
Nice hat. Why do I get the feeling looking at the purple-haired guy he'll be as annoying as the lead kid from Nabari no Ou?

VYX1z.png

I'll never understand how I made it through as many episodes as I did in this series.

Aigis said:
I just watched the first two episodes of Soul Eater on Netflix. Show itself isn't too interesting, but the characters really make it fun to watch. Will probably buy.

The first three prequel episodes werent really that interesting to me. Didnt realize it was on netflix though. Which now looking, I guess I need to spend some time watching Baccano, I didnt know it was up there, now I can save on trying to hunt down the Blu-Ray and hopefully get past episode 3.

Adr1an

Just watched the first four episodes of Angel Beats in English, the dub is actually pretty good. Anyways really like the whole premise of the show, and the comedy is gold too especially in that baseball episode.

BlackPhoenix23 said:
Just watched the first four episodes of Angel Beats in English, the dub is actually pretty good. Anyways really like the whole premise of the show, and the comedy is gold too especially in that baseball episode.

I love the voices they chose, its still as awesome as ever in English as it was subbed. I dont think I watched far enough to hear Naoi's VA yet, but excellent choice for Otonashi!

iavi

AnoHana 10

That was damn good. Genuinely touching, if not a bit overwrought at times. Why do I have the feeling that they're going to pull a switch and pair Jintan up with the Ice-queen?

iavi

C 10

So much for getting with the hot american spy. This kid's no Bond. The next episode should should prove to be entertaining though.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fist of the North Star Movie

The dub is awful, yet hilarious.

So amazingly over the top!

hosannainexcelsis said:
I don't know what it says about me is that my first thought when seeing this was that they released another PV for the Sora no Kiseki anime adaptation.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, haha..... =(

Articalys

7Th said:
It took me a while to find what the hell kind of series this was, and this is the summary I found:
It is currently the Taiheimeji Era. It is a reign ruled by the Tokugawa shogunate. Inside this shogunate, there is a group of warriors that support the government. They are the Manyuu Clan.

In this current era, breasts mean everything. If you have breasts, you are guaranteed wealth and popularity. If you lack them, you are rarely considered "human". Members of the Manyuu Clan help raise the future big breasts. Written on a secret scroll possessed by the clan, there is said to be various techniques on how to grow big and beautiful breasts.

Chifusa is to be successor of the clan. However, she takes the secret scroll and runs away with it, hoping to fight against the cruel world that the Manyuu Clan has created...
Okay...

Articalys

That does make me wonder, what series has the greatest "defictionalization" potential? As in, being able to turn items from the show into things you can really sell in stores?
e: Not counting stuff like models based on a super robot or figurine and such -- I mean as if you reached inside the TV screen and dragged an item into the real world. Well, there was that 1:1 Gundam in Japan a while back, but still...

Nonoriri said:
Azusa's cup >>>>> Azusa

Haters Gonna Hate the Winner of Japan Saimoe 2010

Articalys said:
That does make me wonder, what series has the greatest "defictionalization" potential? As in, being able to turn items from the show into things you can really sell in stores?

I'm pretty sure it's Gundam by a wide margin.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Articalys said:

Eva character uniforms and in-show merch are pretty popular but then again, it's like the gundam example but more pervasive (and more about branding than anything). I guess magical girl shows like Precure are better at selling wands and in-universe items, than anything else.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Unknown Soldier said:
The Azunyan teacup is a multi-purpose drink container. I use it for many things!

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/sakenyan.jpg[IMG]

Should you wish to purchase your own teacup, you can do so here:
[url]http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10103344[/url]

Well, you could buy one, if it wasn't sold out. I don't know if they will manufacture any more. :3[/QUOTE]
The Moyasimon cups are better :)

Jerk

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Ahahahaha, I dropped Broken Blade after OVA#2 because of how bad it was looking like it was going to get. VINDICATION FTW!

Perhaps it was because I pounded through the first four episodes in just a few hours, but I was blindsided by how awful the last 2 episodes turned out to be.

Still, the OP is pretty baller.

[C] 10

Woo, final boss next week. This episode was nuts. The two fights were epic. Don't know if using Macro was the best idea with [C] sucking your funds though. Either way, it was neat. And poor
Satou :(

Pretty sad to see this ending when so much more could be done with it. Would've been nice to see Yoga fight more of Mikuni's partners instead of just the creepiest one. Oh well, it's been a ride recently, so I can't complain too much.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
C 10, Let's get some fucking hype up in this bitch. Show has definitely improved a lot since the start. Poor Satou though, I really dug her.

Ano Hana 10, I still love it. It's cheesy and all, but I can't help but cry too.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
[C] 10 - Pretty good episode that was kinda lulz with what america does at the start with their financial district, kinda disappointed they went back to the yu-gi-oh card battles but the scenes were genuinely alright this time around despite the lol cg, one thing I'm concerned about at this point is how they'll end it - I'm hoping there is some ramifications and consequences if yoga manages to triumph over mikuni - because if it all leads to "everything turns out good for everyone" type of ending, I'd be greatly disappointed, considering it's nakamura we should expect a genuinely satisfying conclusion like trapeze, but considering up to this point it's being very un-nakamura, I'm not so sure!

Prince of Tennis 61

This felt like the first real ridiculous match. A game of hadouken chicken is pretty epic. Not really sure why that would cause your hand to bleed when it should be your arm that's fucked up. Even gripping the racket too hard shouldn't leave more than a little mark. Any more power from the ball would take your hand off.

Jex

Street Fighter II V 16

Ken and Vega's epic, totally non-weird duel continues while Bison breaks chairs using the power of evil.

Next episodes thread title is OFF THE CHARTS.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Prince of Tennis 61

This felt like the first real ridiculous match. A game of hadouken chicken is pretty epic. Not really sure why that would cause your hand to bleed when it should be your arm that's fucked up. Even gripping the racket too hard shouldn't leave more than a little mark. Any more power from the ball would take your hand off.

you didn't know?
they use weighted tennis balls
lead cores and all...thats how they go through the strings

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sek Hat 11: Clearly the lack of love in my life is from not sparkling enough. I need to sparkle brighter, and brighter! Nothing like misunderstandings, followed by long passionate hugs to set me off.

kiryogi

Banned
Anohana 10: Eff the haters. I enjoyed it! Team Anohana for this season! ! ! That said, it makes me really wish it was a 26 instead of a 11, then maybe it wouldn't have hit the issues it did in the recent episodes.

HeartCatch Precure 40-45: Finally enter Dune-sama! But I have to say . . . Moonlight is too much hax. And Flower more so.

Branduil

Ano Hana 10

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The whole firework arc for nothing. What a waste of 5 episodes.

Yeah, they're complete douches for not showing the family ghost Menma. Maybe they'll just mention how "stupid" they are again.

Does this show actually think Jintan is "irreplaceable"? Losers who don't go to school are so hard to find in Japan.

Why did they build the firework platform on a slanted hill? Wouldn't flat ground work a million times better? Why was the fuse so short? Wouldn't the old man get caught in the blast?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
Street Fighter II V 16

Ken and Vega's epic, totally non-weird duel continues while Bison breaks chairs using the power of evil.

Next episodes thread title is OFF THE CHARTS.
It's almost poetry!

iavi

Branduil said:
[c] 10

Oh no, more Yu-Gi-Oh battles.

People can die in battles now? I love how they just make stuff up on the fly.

Lol, this was the first thing to come to my mind.

And then they go ahead and devalue her whole dying by just granting him the card she just died trying to get.
Silly plot magic.

Branduil said:
[c] 10

Oh no, more Yu-Gi-Oh battles.

People can die in battles now? I love how they just make stuff up on the fly.

With [C] active, people's funds are getting absorbed at an accelerated rate. With the country's future getting simultaneously absorbed, the effect is amplified to the point where any deal could result in the loser's future being completely erased (mainly because the asset=future).

I don't think it's that hard to understand.

Dynedom

People really reaching to shit all over [C].

[C] - 10

Yoga obtaining a black card after Sato transferred Georges was a nice development. Considering they stressed showing Georges pattern on his card, it seems that was the reason why Masakaki's boss granted him a black card. Noble sacrifice, etc etc.
Guess we get to learn why next episode.

That being said, this show could have been a lot better if it was 24 episodes and had some more development. *sigh* I also can't see this ending being satisfactory (will probably have unresolved questions or raise more questions than answering them).

I do appreciate they they're not stretching these battles over like 5 episodes in typical shounen-style. That's one thing that may have happened if it did have a longer syndicated run.

Edit:
The show has also hinted that people/[laces can come back once futures are restored. I believe it mentioned that Singapore returned. What I'm wondering is if EVERYONE/EVERYTHING lose can be returned, which I hope the series refutes. If everything goes back to the way it was, the overall impact of the show's message would be lessened (at least for me).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cosmicblizzard said:
With [C] active, people's funds are getting absorbed at an accelerated rate. With the country's future getting simultaneously absorbed, the effect is amplified to the point where any deal could result in the loser's future being completely erased (mainly because the asset=future).

I don't think it's that hard to understand.
Mikuni said that if she stayed put, she would survive at the cost of her future, but Satou still choose to pass her future onto Yoga.

Dynedom

shintoki said:
Mikuni said that if she stayed put, she would survive at the cost of her future, but Satou still choose to pass her future onto Yoga.

Yep.
Bug-eyes or whatever his name was continued to fight Yoga and bankrupted himself too (hence why he disappeared). The whole intensity of what happens because of C is pretty evident. The reason none of this happened before is because the circumstances are very different.

Instro

Amigami SS OVA
Didn't realize they were doing another one of these. Basically split into 3 sections with an extra scene for 3 different girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom