• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
cosmicblizzard said:
Prince of Tennis 61

This felt like the first real ridiculous match. A game of hadouken chicken is pretty epic. Not really sure why that would cause your hand to bleed when it should be your arm that's fucked up. Even gripping the racket too hard shouldn't leave more than a little mark. Any more power from the ball would take your hand off.

Yeah, that's kind of the turning point of the series. The Hyoutei match is when the series starts becoming more over the top and the matches become crazy awesome. Unfortunately, not long after that is when the anime veers off course and starts changing a lot of stuff from the manga.

Thinking about the physics of Prince of Tennis is only going to make your head hurt.

Instro

Erigu said:
Yup. The first one was a bit late. Dunno when the second/last one will be sent exactly.
Ah ok thats cool.

Ano Hana 10
That was better than the previous couple episodes, would be nice if the show finishes strong.

Jex

Tiger and Bunny 12

Well, I suppose the events of this episode were okay. Well, they weren't really, but it certainly didn't help that the editing and the cinematography were really bad. There was no flow.

Castle in the Sky - I think we mostly agree that Miyazaki movies are amazing... well, this was certainly no exception.

Beautiful art, good story, good characters, this is just a great movie. There are a few things that are silly about it, though. Like, given how many guns are fired at those pirates early on, it sure is lucky that not a one of them is even scratched by a bullet... :lol But somehow even though by the end lots of soldiers die, all of the pirates survive untouched. Sure they aren't the most evil of pirates, but given how much danger they're in it's silly... I guess it was trying to mess with your expectations, with how they dress like your usual evil guys in identical costumes, the kind of guys who usually die, but these don't. I guess it works. (Oh, for another minor complaint, would a car driving over a railroad trestle really destroy it as it went over it? I somehow doubt it.)

But anyway, yeah it was really, really good. The two main characters, the boy and girl, were both likable. The plot was somewhat predictable, but not entirely, and works well overall. There's lots of great stuff in this movie, too much to list it all probably unless I spoiled the whole thing which I don't really want to do. I like how even though the villain does kidnap the girl, she's not a passive hostage who the guy has to rescue -- she does stuff too, escapes from him, etc. Miyazaki always has good female characters, and evne though this one has a male character with an equal or more important role, still she's an important character with a role to play. But still, that boy is ridiculously good at climbing the side of the castle, too, jumping from vine to vine, etc... quite fearless.

Oh yeah, and there's no criticism at all here of child labor, huh? It's just there (the boy having to work at the mine even though he's pretty young), without criticism. Kind of odd, but I guess it's just depicting that world as it is.

Finally, the ending made some kind of followup possible, but I guess there never was one... oh well. I mean though,
Laputa is still up there, even if it's much smaller now the crystal is still in it so there surely are still people who want to find it; the pirates are still around; even without the general or evil guy I'm sure some people in the military are still interested in finding it; our heroes were going to go to her home region and see the yaks; and she knows more spells than she uses in this movie, apparently -- she casually mentions at one point learning many magic spells, but only uses two or three in the film. And she still has the stone at the end too.
So yeah, lots of room for a sequel that I guess didn't happen...

Sailor Moon 35-40 - I need to go back and watch the ones in between this and the last ones I watched sometime, Sailor Moon is an entertaining show oddly enough.

I will say though, that whole fight in one of these episodes was one of the stupidest things ever... the one where Sailor Moon offers the youma tea mid-battle, after evil Tuxedo Mask showed up and started arguing with the other villain, and then defeated the youma. It was so, so stupid... the whole episode was though I guess.

Also, evil Tuxedo Mask huh? It might have more impact if I didn't know that goodguys always come back in this show. This applies to a bunch of things in the series though. Still, it is amusing watching Usagi keep hoping that he's on her side, only for him to sort of not be. :)

Also Jupiter is good at skating and Mars at skiing.

Lotte's Toy 08 - Wow, now this episode was seriously disturbing. So, this episode introduces a new character, a prince from a nearby kingdom. He's in school, but is much older than Lotte, etc, he's a teenager. He likes chasing girls, but when he sees Lotte he falls in love at first sight. The rest of the episode is about him chasing her and trying to get her to marry him, while our hero tries to figure out why he cares if she does or not. Recalling that she is ten, this is so, so wrong... but the show never even suggests that him being interested in her is messed up. What the heck. Basically this is the kind of thing I was hoping this show wouldn't do.

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Lotte's Toy 08 - Wow, now this episode was seriously disturbing. So, this episode introduces a new character, a prince from a nearby kingdom. He's in school, but is much older than Lotte, etc, he's a teenager. He likes chasing girls, but when he sees Lotte he falls in love at first sight. The rest of the episode is about him chasing her and trying to get her to marry him, while our hero tries to figure out why he cares if she does or not. Recalling that she is ten, this is so, so wrong... but the show never even suggests that him being interested in her is messed up. What the heck.
What red-blooded teenage boy hasn't fallen head-over-heels in love with a ten year-old?

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, that's kind of the turning point of the series. The Hyoutei match is when the series starts becoming more over the top and the matches become crazy awesome. Unfortunately, not long after that is when the anime veers off course and starts changing a lot of stuff from the manga.

Thinking about the physics of Prince of Tennis is only going to make your head hurt.

Do they just change things up while still following the general direction of the manga or is it a full on divergence like the first FMA?

cosmicblizzard said:
Do they just change things up while still following the general direction of the manga or is it a full on divergence like the first FMA?

It's sort of a mix between the two. It starts following the general direction while making some major changes (one opponent is changed entirely, and another match has all the same participants and end results, but the matches themselves are completely different), and then after the Kantou tournament it just goes into filler city for 50 straight episodes, with a lot of changes to the characters thrown in for good measure. The OVAs wind up adapting the Nationals more closely while ignoring most of the major changes the anime made.

Prince of Tennis as an adaptation is kind of bizarre. The first 70 or so episodes are mostly faithful aside from some bits getting moved around and the news reporters showing up way more often (and having some weird fixation on Ryoma), but then suddenly the series starts making major changes out of the blue, most of which have no logical reason for changing them. I got into the series through the anime, but I think the manga is definitely the superior version (especially once you get to the Kantou Tournament). I do like the OVAs, outside of how rushed they get (condensing 8-10 chapter long matches into single episodes).

BluWacky

Dali said:
I'll never understand how I made it through as many episodes as I did in this series.

Good background art. Half-decent female characters in an ostensibly shounen show. Nice action sequences.

Wasn't as good as Loveless, though, which the animation team were so clearly trying to copy. That was a much more interesting action show with BL elements.

tiff said:
What red-blooded teenage boy hasn't fallen head-over-heels in love with a ten year-old?

Most of them. Except in that world apparently, where falling in love with ten year olds is nothing special or something...

Instro

A Black Falcon said:
Lotte's Toy 08 - Wow, now this episode was seriously disturbing. So, this episode introduces a new character, a prince from a nearby kingdom. He's in school, but is much older than Lotte, etc, he's a teenager. He likes chasing girls, but when he sees Lotte he falls in love at first sight. The rest of the episode is about him chasing her and trying to get her to marry him, while our hero tries to figure out why he cares if she does or not. Recalling that she is ten, this is so, so wrong... but the show never even suggests that him being interested in her is messed up. What the heck. Basically this is the kind of thing I was hoping this show wouldn't do.
It's ok because she's not human.

tiff

Banned
Loli panty shots weren't as hilariously ridiculous as that playboy prince falling in love with a little girl though.

Instro

C 10
This show has basically gotten better with each episode, I thoroughly enjoyed this weeks. Too bad about
Sato, I hope she comes back to life or something.

Steroyd

ABF said:
Lotte's Toy08 - Wow, now this episode was seriously disturbing. So, this episode introduces a new character, a prince from a nearby kingdom. He's in school, but is much older than Lotte, etc, he's a teenager. He likes chasing girls, but when he sees Lotte he falls in love at first sight. The rest of the episode is about him chasing her and trying to get her to marry him, while our hero tries to figure out why he cares if she does or not. Recalling that she is ten, this is so, so wrong... but the show never even suggests that him being interested in her is messed up. What the heck. Basically this is the kind of thing I was hoping this show wouldn't do.

Given the synopsis to the show and the first episode you're complaining about this now 8 eps in. o_O

Boy are you going to enjoy the next 2 episodes.

just watched the entirety of Gai Rei Zero

HOLY FUCK. if you like action anime you owe it to yourself to watch at least the first two episodes of this show. I'm not going to say anything more but WOW

It's now available on Netflix Watch Instantly, dubbed (I found the english track good enough)

30 Year old Virgin 11

Is this actually a self help book in Japan? I have my doubts that when couples have a fight over there, the male in the relationship goes on a quest to a desert to train with an old virgin master capable of using a variation of the spirit bomb by borrowing the energy of all the virgins in the world and upon completing his training becomes a bishounen with Nomura's sense of fashion. Not impossible though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I haven't watched anything in a year..and i caved and watched a few eps of ao no exorcist. Someone for the love of god point me towards anything not kaiji that is at least slightly better then sub par.

Steroyd said:
Given the synopsis to the show and the first episode you're complaining about this now 8 eps in. o_O

Boy are you going to enjoy the next 2 episodes.
The first seven episodes weren't like that though. They just weren't.

Gr1mLock said:
I haven't watched anything in a year..and i caved and watched a few eps of ao no exorcist. Someone for the love of god point me towards anything not kaiji that is at least slightly better then sub par.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

jman2050

If someone was naive enough to believe that a show with Lotte's Toy premise ends up being anything more than what everyone said it was going to be, then they deserve everything they get.

I mean, it's anime people. Nothing special going on here.

Hidan no Aria 10:

A bunch of stuff got crammed into this episode. It looks like J.C. Staff are trying pretty hard to work up to a logical ending point. We got some (heavily censored) fanservice, some character development for Reki, who is by the way really fucking awesome, some backstory on Riko, and even Jeanne reappears briefly to, uh, brief baka-Kinji on the show's final end boss, who is none other than
Vlad of Endless Sin, obviously supposed to be Dracula from how he is described.
Oh, right, the PV for the next episode hints on the fuck awesome to come:

pv11_1.jpg

pv11_2.jpg

A homage to Mission Impossible and Splinter Cell at the same time? Yes, please!

Oh, right, there is no HnA next week, both episodes 11 and 12 (END) will be broadcast together on June 30th! So don't go and shoot somebody full of holes when you don't get your weekly fix!

Looks like there's a new teaser for the Negima movie (also Hayate). It shows Negi in his lightning Magia Erebea form, so there should at least be some great action. Hopefully they'll show the Rakan fight.

Nichijou 11

Surely happiness tastes like mud.

I'm glad to see this branching out into more characters beyond the central trio; they were in danger of becoming overused. The soccer club segments were shocking and effective, the glue segments were amusing, and Yukko's total exam failure had great visuals. Nichijou still has it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Tiger and Bunny 12, Rough start, but it picked up nicely. It's also clear Jake's power is that he can feel Next resonate or something.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Unknown Soldier said:
Cardcaptor Sakura 1:

Why the hell am I watching this?

This show ran for...70 episodes?!

I must be out of my goddamned mind.
The show is awesome. If you disagree you clearly are a horrible person.

Cardcaptor Sakura 2:

Oh good, Sakura has someone who can take care of her customes now! Then CLAMP won't have gotten bored doing this series!

Sakura's familiar is Cerberus. This is the least-doglike Cerberus I have ever seen. Cerberus, the three-headed dog that guards the River Styx in Greek mythology, is NOT A KAWAII WINGED YELLOW THING WITH ONLY ONE HEAD! >:|

Sakura's best friend has a voyeur fetish and enjoys filming Sakura when she is wearing revealing costumes and masturbating to her videos later. RELEASE! I mean, wait, that's not how it goes. I think. I'm so confused. :|

I'm still not sure exactly what CLAMP did during this series. I guess back in the late 90's they weren't making everything fabulous yet. Son I am disappoint. I was expecting maximum fabulous that was off the fabulous scale. Instead I got...hm.

Sakura is infatuated with a high school boy who has a very feminine voice and is about 10 years her elder. I would make a joke about how she likes older men but somehow that seems kind of creepy seeing as how she's in elementary school.

If Real Men Watch Mahou Shoujo, I am the manliest man who has ever lived on this planet right now. Kenshiro would be half the man I am. YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD.

I guess I'll watch episode 3 now. >_>

Unknown Soldier said:
Cardcaptor Sakura 2:

Oh good, Sakura has someone who can take care of her customes now! Then CLAMP won't have gotten bored doing this series!

Sakura's familiar is Cerberus. This is the least-doglike Cerberus I have ever seen. Cerberus, the three-headed dog that guards the River Styx in Greek mythology, is NOT A KAWAII WINGED YELLOW THING WITH ONLY ONE HEAD! >:|

Sakura's best friend has a voyeur fetish and enjoys filming Sakura when she is wearing revealing costumes and masturbating to her videos later. RELEASE! I mean, wait, that's not how it goes. I think. I'm so confused. :|

I'm still not sure exactly what CLAMP did during this series. I guess back in the late 90's they weren't making everything fabulous yet. Son I am disappoint. I was expecting maximum fabulous that was off the fabulous scale. Instead I got...hm.

Sakura is infatuated with a high school boy who has a very feminine voice and is about 10 years her elder. I would make a joke about how she likes older men but somehow that seems kind of creepy seeing as how she's in elementary school.

If Real Men Watch Mahou Shoujo, I am the manliest man who has ever lived on this planet right now. Kenshiro would be half the man I am. YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD.

I guess I'll watch episode 3 now. >_>
CCS is mostly a good show, but it has some SERIOUSLY creepy relationships. Just wait until you hear about Sakura's parents relationship... what the heck! I posted about it when I watched those episodes a few months back, but man was that messed up.

Do watch the show, though... it's good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
zeroshiki said:
What I9 said. Its a great show!
Thirded or whatever.

How can you enjoy K-ON and not CCS is beyond me. You must be an alien.

Unknown Soldier said:
Cardcaptor Sakura 1:

Why the hell am I watching this?

This show ran for...70 episodes?!

I must be out of my goddamned mind.

You're watching it because it is one of the greatest anime ever made. What better reason could there be to watch something?

Ezalc

I watched Angel Beats based off a friend's recommendation. My only question is why there isn't a spin off with TK as the protagonist.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unknown Soldier said:
If it'll make you feel better, that's not his only form.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A Black Falcon said:
CCS is mostly a good show, but it has some SERIOUSLY creepy relationships. Just wait until you hear about Sakura's parents relationship... what the heck! I posted about it when I watched those episodes a few months back, but man was that messed up.

Do watch the show, though... it's good.

Yeah it was creepy.

Creepy as Tomoe could be, I liked the costume idea just because it kept the animators on their tows and they were less likely to reuse as much footage.

Cardcaptor Sakura 3:

I'm pretty sure Sakura's best friend is lesbian-infatuated with Sakura.

Sakura's infatuation with the high-school boy is really fucking wierd.

Watching Sakura's best friend and Cerberus stalking Sakura is pretty, uh, fuck man, I dunno.

Wow, nice jester costume. I can't fail to notice that Sakura's costumes always seem to feature a distinct lack of pants. She was the original Strike Witch long before anybody came up with Strike Witches more than half a decade later!

Tiger and Bunny 12
Goddam Jake is overpowered. He can survive a Spirit Bomb and is telepathic(I think). Him and Kriem's banter reminds me of the Joker and Harley Quinn which makes this show even more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom