• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Got my Utena Student Council box yesterday. Nozomi have done a really lovely job with presenting this release. I can't immediately notice the differences from my old DVDs as I haven't watched them in so long (and threw them in the bin when this box turned up!) and I'm unlikely to watch the whole lot at the moment as I've seen this arc so many times before.

When's the Black Rose box out? August?

JKTrix

firehawk12 said:
You can find that episode on niconico.

There's a NHK series that someone talked about... erg, I can't remember the name, but someone else might know it. It's Japanese only though, so YMMV on that.
MAG Net. Most recent episode had a focus on Osamu Dezaki.

+1 for Gintama love. The opening single just came out on CD too, it's rockin'.
(Busy summer!)

NeonZ

Jexhius said:
One strange thing to note is that someone apparently decided that Swan, who spent most of her time in the background doing little, should become a source for awkwardly drawn fanservice. Studios that don't know jack about fanservice should stay away from it:

It just looks really stupid when you drop it out of nowhere and it stands out like a sore thumb.

Wasn't she always used for fanservice though? I remember some pantyshots with her in her standard outfit.

Lain

Unknown Soldier said:
How do you manage to contain this much hate inside of yourself?
Same way kugi-lolis manage to contain so much strength and violence in their tiny bodies (which is why Mac is so tsun for Goddess Rie), would be my guess.
Magic and willpower.

Steroyd

Obsidian said:
Is that new Gintama series friendly for new viewers?

Yeah, the only thing you'll be lost on is past character cameos, but you don't need to know them right now to get what's going on.

I guess the best way to describe it is that it's as friendly as someone who is new to The Simpsons.

Jex

NeonZ said:
Wasn't she always used for fanservice though? I remember some pantyshots with her in her standard outfit.
It was fairly infrequent, but ever since the half-way point it's been ratcheted up, like everything else.

Gintama 5

I'll be all caught up soon!

BluWacky

icarus-daedelus said:
August 2nd I think. Might just wait till i have all three to actually watch any in case I'm tempted to skip ahead to the good bits in the last arc.

I still haven't seen beyond the first DVD of the Black Rose arc :( I was too poor as a student to afford them and couldn't bring myself to pirate the show, I was loving it too much.

Alas, I am completely spoiled for the entire show since three of my friends are total Utena fanatics, but I'm sure there are still some surprises in store.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BluWacky said:
Alas, I am completely spoiled for the entire show since three of my friends are total Utena fanatics, but I'm sure there are still some surprises in store.
Utena is a show you'll probably have to see more than once to get a good grasp on things anyway.

Jex

Hitokage said:
Utena is a show you'll probably have to see more than once to get a good grasp on things anyway.
It's certainly the kind of series were, theoretically, someone could tell you about an important plot point and your response would be "Huh? What the hell does that mean?".

Steroyd

Sailormoon - 26

Chocolate parfait.

CHOCOLATE PARFAIT!!

I'll give you some homemade chocolate parfait Naru, you don't mind if it's a little warm do you? :mad:
Hopefully this marks the end of her retardness and my ragehol.

lmao @ facial expressions.

lol @ Tuxedo Mask's bail out.

Facepalm @ TM's realisation.

TheOddOne

Starz Picks Up Sam Raimi & Rob Tapert's Female Assassin Drama 'Noir' To Series
EXCLUSIVE: Coming up on Starz -- another action drama series from Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert, executive producers of the pay cable network's breakout hit Spartacus: Blood and Sand and its offshoot Spartacus: Gods of the Arena. I hear Starz has greenlighted to series Noir, a live-action adaptation of the 2001 Japanese anime series.

The project, which had been in development at the network since last fall, follows two female assassins who team up to fight against a secret society. After discovering they're mysteriously linked, the two, under the Noir moniker, have to work together until they get answers about why and how they are connected -- or until one of them kills the other. Steven Lightfoot (Criminal Justice) wrote the adaptation and will executive produce the series with Raimi, Tapert, fellow Spartacus exec producer Joshua Donen as well as Bill Hamm.

Noir had been gathering momentum over the past few weeks, with producers sending out feelers about assembling a small writers room for the potential series. The number of episodes for Noir is yet to be determined, but Starz's new shows usually get straight-to-series orders of 8 to 10 episodes. At the network, Noir joins the upcoming Chicago mayor drama Boss starring Kelsey Grammer and 1960s Miami drama Magic City. Meanwhile, costume drama Camelot is still awaiting word on its future after completing its freshman run last week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JKTrix said:
MAG Net. Most recent episode had a focus on Osamu Dezaki.
<span>
<a href="tel:+1">+1</a> for Gintama love. The opening single just came out on CD too, it's rockin'.</span>
(Busy summer!)
Ah yeah, that's it!

Obsidian said:
Is that new Gintama series friendly for new viewers?
Steroyd said:
Yeah, the only thing you'll be lost on is past character cameos, but you don't need to know them right now to get what's going on.

I guess the best way to describe it is that it's as friendly as someone who is new to The Simpsons.
Yep. The characters are types/tropes, but in a good way (at least to me), so it's fairly accessible to new viewers.

Hah, on The Simpsons, I wonder if someone new to that show now (kids, presumably) would actually find it funny. I guess so? Hopefully there aren't any bitter Gintama fans who think the show died back in episode 50.

Lafiel said:
K-ON!! 20 - The amount of "mono no aware" in those last few minutes made me cry.;_;
Oh man, that's after the concert? Such manly tears.

tiff

Banned
Catching up on Ano Hana. Just saw episode 9. Not the unholy abortion some seemed to be making it out to be, but it was definitely a misstep.

Jex

Gintama 6-8

This show is fairly consumable, and not quite as low budget as I expected. Still pretty low budget though.

BluWacky

TheOddOne said:

I know everyone says LOL BEETRAIN nowadays, but back in 2001 or whenever it was that Noir premiered that kind of thing was pretty exciting. I know that cryptic mumbojumbo and wailing background vocals are de rigeur now but there was a lot of buzz around the show then. While the basic story will probably work just fine, I can't really imagine Noir without Canta Per Me and endless panning shots...

I wish that SciFi had made the Witch Hunter Robin series they optioned - it's an IP that seemed very Western anyway, and as much as I enjoyed the anime lord knows how much of an improvement a live action version would probably have been...

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Hah, on The Simpsons, I wonder if someone new to that show now (kids, presumably) would actually find it funny. I guess so? Hopefully there aren't any bitter Gintama fans who think the show died back in episode 50.

Gintama only got better as time went on. Actually I would say episode 50 is when the show really started being great.

NeonZ

Jexhius said:
Gintama 6-8

This show is fairly consumable, and not quite as low budget as I expected. Still pretty low budget though.

You'll get some high budget episodes once in a while starting with the second season (after episode 50), mainly for the "serious" story arcs that pop up once in a while to break the episodic flow. First season is clearly low budget though, even when they do make a serious arc near the ending.

Jex

Gintama 8

A fairly neat split story episode. While they take some fairly basic story elements, e.g. a parody of Cops and a stalker-dude they avoided being completely obvious.

The jokes in the Cops segment came from the nature of the parody and from the characters behaviour, behaviour which the show has already established.

For the stalker-dude, they didn't mean him some weird fat otaku, they actually went with a fairly athletic and attractive looking dude who just happens to be completely nuts about a girl but even then they give his character more depth by suggesting that he was 'honourable'.

In other words, there was an unusual amount of effort devoted to things which, in other anime, would be fairly boring and flat.

Neo C.

firehawk12 said:
Yep. The characters are types/tropes, but in a good way (at least to me), so it's fairly accessible to new viewers.

Gintama is going to be even more awesome and will troll even harder.
2ljgak6.gif

Finished My bride is a Mermaid a while ago. Any other recommendable comedies?

Steroyd

Shiki - 20.5

Wow I must have imagined Nao's death in the original run, thought I saw her get killed another way.

Just give me 20 minutes of epic beard guy and I'll be happy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Gintama only got better as time went on. Actually I would say episode 50 is when the show really started being great.
So it never suffered shounen slowdown with its fans? I figure all 200 episodes can't be bangers, but it's nice to know that most fans don't think the series turned to shit either.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
So it never suffered shounen slowdown with its fans? I figure all 200 episodes can't be bangers, but it's nice to know that most fans don't think the series turned to shit either.

I wouldn't call it shounen in typical terms, there's no power levels or powerups to screw the strength ecosystem, they spend episodes bitching about their budget in a funny way as filler and they're not afraid to take a year break if they're too close to the manga.

wsippel said:
The show in itself is nonsense. It's kinda enjoyable, but basically every character is so far removed from reality and so incredibly oblivious and stupid that it makes my head spin. Still, I wonder how they plan to end the season...

It's self aware though, it seems like every episode someone comments on how ridiculous and absurd things (and people) are inside the prison's walls.

With only two episodes left, it seems like there's not quite enough time to end the Scar Chain arc, so it may end up being a cliffhanger finale.

Aria the Animation 8

President Aria is so adorable!

I do have to wonder how the Aria Company stays afloat when they always have so few customers. I suppose they live on smiles and goodwill.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Neo C. said:
Gintama is going to be even more awesome and will troll even harder.
2ljgak6.gif

Finished My bride is a Mermaid a while ago. Any other recommendable comedies?
Have you seen Urusei Yatsura?

Did you watch the My Bride is a Mermaid OVA's?

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I've watched nine episodes and seen largely comedy and self contained mini stories, so it currently feels like an episodic TV show as opposed to a "shounen" show.

Jex

WARNING: Long Post About Stuff, Not Spoilers Though

Marco 2 (Redux) + A discussion of visual world building.

There's one thing I totally failed to notice or care about the first time I watched this episode, the sense of space and location. Which is just an overly-long way of saying: they make Marco's home town feel like a real, defined location.

The way this is achieved is quite simple, really, but it's not something you see done very often in tv anime productions. The director shows us how Marco gets home. Not in the normal manner, where we see a character at the school gates, then they walk over a bridge or something as they chat and then they're home. No, we see the whole route. Perhaps I should demonstrate a visual idea, y'know, visually! See below (click to make it larger!)

It's strange how, when I was watching it I totally failed to notice this, but as soon as you look at the picture it becomes so obvious. The whole thing is is kind of odd because it's so unnecessary. It's very important that you cram as much as you can into the time you have allotted, especially with anime episodes being around twenty minutes long. Usually you'd want to focus on say, the characters, or the plot, or some action. Not just...streets, for like a minute. That's "boring". However, in reality this lengthy sequence (and many others that I haven't got to hand) serve two very important reasons.

1) We see what kind of world Marco goes to school in compared to the world he lives in. Note the people, their clothes, their attitudes, the condition of the buildings, etc.

2) We start to feel like we're part of Genoa (the city where Marco lives). There's a tangible sense of the geography of the location. Places are connected as if they really existed. You feel as if you might know your way around a few of these streets now. This is of course useful in pulling you, the viewer, into the world of the story. That's why they resist breaking from this powerful, but simple set of shots. Even in the very last shot, taken from inside the door to Marco's building, you can see the water pump from the previous shot. You know exactly where you are in this fictional world. It's very neat.

A lot of shows don't bother with this. It's animated, so we can just have one scene here at at a school, another scene here at a shop, another scene here at a house. Nothing is done to link them or make it feel like part of a cohesive world. It's just a load of sets.

flawfuls

Jexhius said:
Gintama 8

A fairly neat split story episode. While they take some fairly basic story elements, e.g. a parody of Cops and a stalker-dude they avoided being completely obvious.

The jokes in the Cops segment came from the nature of the parody and from the characters behaviour, behaviour which the show has already established.

For the stalker-dude, they didn't mean him some weird fat otaku, they actually went with a fairly athletic and attractive looking dude who just happens to be completely nuts about a girl but even then they give his character more depth by suggesting that he was 'honourable'.

In other words, there was an unusual amount of effort devoted to things which, in other anime, would be fairly boring and flat.

Fun fact: Gintama was originally going to be a based on the jdrama Shinsengumi where the main character would have been Kondo, but he couldn't get that published so Sorachi changed it up a bit and threw in some aliens and that is what we have today.

Nishastra

Banned
Steins;Gate 12

God damn it, god damn it... This show. With each episode, my need to see the next one rises exponentially. I wish it was over so I could just watch it all in one go.

It's clear that
Suzu is from the future one way or another. She knows what's going to happen, and she has since day 1.

I've also suspected Moeka for a long time because she was always eyeing the IBN-5100, and then as soon as they let her send a D-Mail (which they stupidly didn't check the contents of), the IBN disappeared and so did she.

On a less spoilery note, I loved Okarin and Kurisu's little flustered confrontation, particularly the "What kind of tsundere is that?"

iavi

Nishastra said:
Steins;Gate 12

God damn it, god damn it... This show. With each episode, my need to see the next one rises exponentially. I wish it was over so I could just watch it all in one go.

Yeah, it's looking like I need to finally sit down and watch this one.

Miri said:
All this Gintama love warms my cynical heart.
It looks like my job of promoting it is coming to a close.

Once I finish Prince of Tennis, I'm gonna start it again too. Don't know if I should start from the beginning or sift through a bunch of episodes to find where the hell I was.

Lain

Iroha 10-12
I don't really like Satsuki. If she wasn't a mother I wouldn't have a problem with her behavior, but since she is one I dislike her actions.

iavi

cosmicblizzard said:
Once I finish Prince of Tennis, I'm gonna start it again too. Don't know if I should start from the beginning or sift through a bunch of episodes to find where the hell I was.

Sifting through the bunch isn''t actually as hard as it seems. I had to do it a while back. Crunchyroll is a big help as you might be able to recognize where you were with the thumbnails. That's what I was able to do.

Miri said:
Sifting through the bunch isn''t actually as hard as it seems. I had to do it a while back. Crunchyroll is a big help as you might be able to recognize where you were with the thumbnails. That's what I was able to do.

Keep in mind this was 5 years ago. I barely remember anything other than the main characters and a few side ones.

NeonZ

flawfuls said:
Fun fact: Gintama was originally going to be a based on the jdrama Shinsengumi where the main character would have been Kondo, but he couldn't get that published so Sorachi changed it up a bit and threw in some aliens and that is what we have today.

The main character was going to be Hijikata, actually (he'd have Gintoki's silver hair too) and it was always intended to be "off" compared to the live action show. After some changes though, the focus was removed from the Shinsengumi and Gintama as we know it was created.

That's why Hijikata's and Gintoki's designs are still pretty close and they're paired up in some stories. Hijikata also is still usually the protagonist in the Shinsengumi centered stories.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I've watched nine episodes and seen largely comedy and self contained mini stories, so it currently feels like an episodic TV show as opposed to a "shounen" show.
I think I meant both as shounen and as comedy. Maybe The Simpsons is good again, but after it got bad 10+ years ago, I've had no desire to go back and see if it has ever improved.

iavi

cosmicblizzard said:
Keep in mind this was 5 years ago. I barely remember anything other than the main characters and a few side ones.

Ah...I see. I take that back then, lol. I'd just start over, if you don't want to start from 200 to keep up with the current conversation then work your way back. It's not exactly necessary that you start from the beginning.

Lain

Battle Girls 12

Another great episode. Lots of explosions and action during the final showdown with Ieyasu, painting the episode as somewhat dark, although it's made clear it would end on a positive note. Naturally, this show being what it is, that ends up being even more funny than positive. Also, Shiro, you lucky dog you!

Oh yes, they announced our Fairy Tail english dub cast today...

Oh yes, our fairy tail english cast,

Todd Haberkorn, who is playing the role of Natsu,

Tia Ballard as HAPPY
Colleen Clinkenbeard as ERZA
Cherami Leigh as LUCY
Newton Pittman as GRAY
R. Bruce Elliot as MAKAROV
Monica Rial as MIRAJANE
Christopher R. Sabat as ELFMAN

cant believe Luffy's VA is Erza though...

Cwarrior

Steins Gate 12

119810_o.gif

Daaaaaaammmmn

Holy shit, show of season just got even more real

Nishastra said:
Steins;Gate 12

this going to be one long week

moeka dmail was for her to not change phones and keep her old one, wich for some reason change the world lines that the ibn 5100 was taken from the shrine

Kaper

Nishastra said:
Steins;Gate 12

seriously, it's just too damn awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom