• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaiji 12

Wonder what Kaiji's planning. Looks like he's taking it one step at a time trying to whittle down the Bog by exposing each individual weakness. The pin forest is hardly the biggest concern, so this will probably take a while.

Can it really be resolved in 1 episode (lol)?

syllogism

cosmicblizzard said:
Kaiji 12

Wonder what Kaiji's planning. Looks like he's taking it one step at a time trying to whittle down the Bog by exposing each individual weakness. The pin forest is hardly the biggest concern, so this will probably take a while.

Cant it really be resolved in 1 episode (lol)?
We are currently at chapter ~69 of this arc and it ends at 134 sooo

Jex

Articalys said:
Does this mean that, when I start trying to catch up, I should be prepared to marathon the first 3-4 episodes in a row to get the best first impression of the show?
In short: yes.

Although on the whole, it's been a slow build.

Instro

Kaiji 12
Narrator guy really went all out this episode didn't he lol. Seems like Kaiji is working on a hell of a plan though, can't wait to see how this turns out. Surely this isn't over next week right?

syllogism

Instro said:
Kaiji 12
Narrator guy really went all out this episode didn't he lol. Seems like Kaiji is working on a hell of a plan though, can't wait to see how this turns out. Surely this isn't over next week right?
It's 100% 24-26 episodes

jman2050

Denpa Onna 10

not feeling the white-haired chick, too much Index so far. Seems to be the first character I'll actively dislike. The pool scene wasn't bad though.

Ryuukoshi needs to stop being retarded and fess up already while Makoto still has the hots for her.

Instro said:
Anime needs more narrator guys. The dude who does the opening bit for Toriko is pretty great as well.

The Toriko dude is more "epic" (coupled with the adventure music and dream food) while Kaiji dude is more hot blooded. Both are awesome.

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
Whoa, what the hell is this? Why is Android 17 a Saiyan? What the hell is going on?

You sure this isn't some new arcade or pachinko game? I feel like more people would be talking about something like this, especially with the video being from November.

Yeah according to the comments it's from an arcade game called Dragon Ball Heroes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jexhius said:
Kaiji 12

This show tends to gets interesting when the main antagonist is introduced. This weeks episode is no exception.

Sure, it's a formula, but it works really well.
They haven't done much to show him out to be a very tough opponent however. I imagine this will come with time though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Sailor Moon 01-46:
Man this show was pretty entertaining throughout. Wonder why I took so long to fully go through this! Anyways, it looks like it is time to start Sailor Moon R!

thetechkid

NeonZ said:
It's a new card arcade game called Dragonball Heroes. The newest collection though is tied to the new Bardock manga with SSJ Bardock and a new member of Freeza's race. Most of the new characters in those clips are just player avatars though and don't mean anything.

Well thats disappointing...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Voices is kind of a disappointment if you watched 5cm first.

Also I love 5cm.

Bros for life.

Kaizer

Banned
Finally caught up with Steins;Gate - yeah shit REALLY just hit the fan. I love how unconventional and quirky this show is, it makes it all the more interesting to watch. I can't be the only one who died a few episodes back when "Christina" busted out a "Yo Dawg" joke can I?

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
Makoto Shinkai announced as a guest of honor for Otakon. Wish I could go.
I think I'm pretty much the only 5cm fan on this board but I believe more people enjoyed Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days; I've seen the latter but have yet to watch the former.

Halycon said:
Voices is kind of a disappointment if you watched 5cm first.
Also I love 5cm.
Bros for life.

Hey me too! *highfive*

I love dem clouds.

jman2050

Steins;Gate 1-6

Pretty interesting show we have here, though it seems to be moving at a glacial pace and nothing really makes sense beyond the initial premise. They're trying to do a scatterbrained plot narrative with multiple branches that I assume will converge together at some point, but it doesn't really work completely, so the result ends up being kind of boring.

Nonetheless, Okarin is an awesome main character and is totally keeping the show afloat all by himself, and Christina seems to be getting there as well. Hopefully they'll start actually going somewhere with whatever they're trying to do in the next six episodes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think so, it's all the same story anyway. Voices was disappointing for me because of its production values, since it was a solo job.

I assume 5cm was disappointing for you because of its nonexistent plot structure.

zeroshiki

I think Shinkai movies are great the first time you see them and they get progressively worse as you watch more because you notice his theme reuse and basically recycling of everything.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
One Outs 5

Okay, I like Toua now. He's pretty much a slightly douchier Akiyama from Liar Game.
I think in these kind of stories the hero is generally a "douche", especially if there roll is to win all the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Borrower Arrietty:

I enjoyed this film, although it was a bit aimless at times. The conflict at the end of the film comes out of circumstance rather than any overt maliciousness or action, so while the stakes are high, the actual conflict rings a bit hollow. Also, there's the almost requisite bittersweet ending.

Also, because of Arjuna I couldn't shake the Arjuna vibes in terms of the environmental messaging (don't over-harvest, etc), but also at one point there is some overt dickishness that comes from one of the characters that makes you question that character's sanity.

Oh, I liked the soundtrack though. It was suitably light and airy and the main theme is stuck in my head now.

I just noticed - Stephen Fry is going to play the father in a live action adaptation of the books. Yikes!

Steins
I've been putting this off since it started. I finally decided to watch it and . . . I'm so disappointed in Okarin. It's not unexpected, he's been showing signs of being bad with pressure from the start, but still, protect what's yours. I think I might wait until the rest of the season finishes before watching again.

Articalys

[C] 9
Man oh man this is dark and creepy, all those massive reality warping effects on the world, especially those scenes with Hanabi. The Midas Bank seems to be playing everyone for fools and have it as their ultimate goal to drain the entire future of mankind, but why?

[C] 10
Well, now I'm not entirely sure who's being played by whom anymore. There seems to be bad blood between the jesters from different districts?
Anyway, the final battle is set! This show has been really gripping for me; I can't believe that I wasn't watching from the beginning. One of my favorites of the season and I jumped in right as it was ending.

Something else I noticed:
the map of the US they showed had a bunch of landmasses that had been wiped out -- but they never even originally existed in OUR reality. Hmm...

And one more:
what are the odds that the single unit of Msyu's stock that Mikuni bought in episode 4 will play a role in the finale?

First, apparently some people can explain my questions about S1 of Sailor Moon, etc? I'd like to hear it, I have no idea. That said...

Sailor Moon R 57-64 - So formulaic, that was too many episodes at once... it starts to get a bit dull after the sixth or so straight episode.

In 57-59, the first arc of R ends. Finally. The two aliens learn what love, feelings, and compassion are. We learn that the Doom Tree actually isn't evil at all, it just wanted love -- but its creations, the green aliens, had forgotten love and only knew violence. Its efforts to show them that they were wrong had failed, but Usagi and Mamoru's love shows them what it's really like and helps show them how they should be. And then the tree starts talking and explains it all... um, why not just do that sooner? Kind of silly.

But in the end all of their numerous crimes are completely forgotten (never mentioned in the last few episodes, in fact) and the sailor scouts let them fly off into space, together, as a twincestual couple. Yeah, they're twins. Great, anime must be anime I guess.

Then, in ep. 60, the next arc starts, against Dark Moon or whatever their name is, and Chibi-Usa appears. She's both stupid and annoying, her whole story arc is so contrived (just tell them why you're there and it'd all get better! But no, of course she explains nothing so that this can go on and on and on...) and she's such a mean, manipulative child. Working to turn Usagi's friends against her, trying to steal the jewel, conning Mamoru into breaking up with her... lots of reasons to hate her, it's easy to see why she's so extremely unpopular.

Also these new villains are just like all the other villains in this show -- borderline incompetent and always somehow convinced that this NEXT youma/cardian/golem/whatever is of COURSE going to do the trick! Never mind the dozens of failures before it! Yeah, the more of this you watch at once the more obviously silly the formula becomes. Oh well, it's not that bad, and some of the episodes were good.

Izayoi

Banned
A Channel 11 – Run's mom is the best.

Ano Hana 10 – Fucking forced drama. Good riddance. Well, they were able to evoke emotion from me, and it certainly wasn't sadness. I'm shocked I didn't put my fist through my monitor at the end. Ridiculous.

Ao no Exorcist 8 and 9 – Glad to see that eyebrows is actually a good girl. She's too cute to be a bitch (dat ponytail, damn). Consistently great action. I'm thoroughly enjoying the show so far.

Astarotte no Omocha! 11 – Boy, I sure hope this doesn't end with
him leaving and everything just being reset.
That would be even more disappointing than Ano Hana has been.

C 9 and 10 – Laaaaaame. Shipping them right from the start and it ends up like this. Better than nothing, but goddamnit Japan. Looks like the finale will be crazy, though. Finally got some awesome fights. Shame this isn't more episodes, it feels like it was a little rushed. Even two episodes really could've helped.

Deadman Wonderland 8, 9, and 10 – Why am I forcing myself to sit through this. One of the worst shonen protagonists in recent history. Show is terribly predictable, too. Other than the “twist” where
Shiro is the Red Man
there have been zero surprises so far. At least it's over soon, I guess. Also, the stupid habit of
HEY LOOK, HERE'S A CHARACTER WHO'S ABOUT TO DIE, NOW CHECK OUT THIS BACKSTORY THAT WE SHOEHORNED IN TO TRY AND GET YOU TO CARE FOR THEM BEFORE WE KILL/MAIM THEM
is getting rather tiresome as well. I hate the Ganta so fucking much. How the fuck did he beat Senji, anyway? This show is stupid.

Denpa Onna 10 – More girls? Well, at least she isn't a bitch. I hate the brown haired girl so damn much. Why is there so much emphasis on her? I want to stop watching every time she shows up. No sign of scooter girl, either. I am disappoint.

Gosick 21 and 22 – This show builds you up and then tears you down. It shows you how adorable they are together, and then rips them apart again. Seeing her like that is fucking heart wrenching. ;_;

Hanasaku Iroha 11 and 12 – Double reverse NTR? I don't even... At least Ko's new girlfriend is cute, and can actually articulate her feelings. Good for him. This is the first time I've ever liked Minchi, probably because she looks damn cute in casual clothes.

Nichijou 11 and 12 – Yukko is such an awesome procrastinator. She also makes the best faces. The amusement park skit was awesome.

Steins;Gates 9, 10, and 11 – One of the only openings that I actually still listen to. I love how awesomely sane Okarin actually is inside, but he still puts on the crazy mad scientist shtick when he interacts with the others. What a great main character. Huge smile on my face at the end of episode 9. What a perfect way to tie the ED in with the show. I love Christina so much, but I just know that something bad is going to happen to her. ;_; I still can't believe this wasn't an eroge. Holy fuck at the texts, though. Crazy shit.

Tiger and Bunny 11 and 12 – Shit is getting real. What a cliffhanger on 12. Ugh, I need to see the next episode :(

duckroll

Holy shit, Hellsing VIII might actually be coming out in July. Amazon actually has cover art now!

Regular cover:
61aQyUmHMQL.jpg

LE cover:
61RRPvbbylL.jpg

Articalys

Neon Genesis Evangelion 25-26

s7qRx.jpg

OMEDETOU

Anyway... I've got my theories for these two episodes, but I still need the last piece of the puzzle from EoE before I can be sure. So I'll hold off on commenting until I've seen it.

I will say this though...
you construct a closed reality for your fragile mind and the best you can do is a school auditorium? Come on...

zeroshiki said:
I dono, ask Wiki?

The great and wonderful Wikipedia doesn't offer ratings or reviews of anime. I only go to the amazing Wikipedia to get general information about an anime, after that I have to rely on places where anime is rated like Anime News Network, or YOU SONS OF BITCHES for opinions on how good they actually are. Actually one funny place to get really good honest reviews of animes is anidb.net, the guys who post there are pretty brutal on things they didn't like.

zeroshiki

Unknown Soldier said:
The great and wonderful Wikipedia doesn't offer ratings or reviews of anime. I only go to the amazing Wikipedia to get general information about an anime, after that I have to rely on places where anime is rated like Anime News Network, or YOU SONS OF BITCHES for opinions on how good they actually are. Actually one funny place to get really good honest reviews of animes is anidb.net, the guys who post there are pretty brutal on things they didn't like.

I thought it was entertaining as long as you could look past the completely non-sensical "story". It had good premise and nice setup.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
Do you like your mahjong with an all-female cast and high levels of yuri overtones? Well, you're in luck, since it looks like there's going be a new Saki anime coming soon.
That's like the ABF signal! I for one cry every time a new show is announced and it is not Spice and Wolf season 3 or Banner of the Spoors, I bet Spoor's family is a riot.
Izayoi said:
Denpa Onna 10 – More girls? Well, at least she isn't a bitch. I hate the brown haired girl so damn much. Why is there so much emphasis on her? I want to stop watching every time she shows up. No sign of scooter girl, either. I am disappoint.
Well they could focus on the de facto worst character Erio but then the show would really be worse. But wasn't scooter girl Meme?

You just know at some point the Japanese government is going to have to swoop in and contain that retarded city, too much stupid and weird going on.
Unknown Soldier said:
I should watch Eden of the East? Yes? No? Maybe?
I say no.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
best way to stream/download these legitimately with original japanese language? Also looking for child friendly shows - I have a 7 year old daughter and 9 (nearly 10) year old son both bilingual and it'd be good to have some anime to help keep their language up

mAcOdIn

mrklaw said:
best way to stream/download these legitimately with original japanese language? Also looking for child friendly shows - I have a 7 year old daughter and 9 (nearly 10) year old son both bilingual and it'd be good to have some anime to help keep their language up
If you still have your iDevices Crunchyroll has a lot on their site, although a LOT of it is not child friendly so you can't just let them run willy nilly with the app unfortunately, and they also have a universal app for iDevices as well so with one account you can watch the stuff on your PC and iDevices. It's 7 bucks a month if you want the simulcasts and no ads but they have a basic free account that has ads just like a normal TV show. The vast majority of their shows are original audio with English subtitles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom