• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dedication Through Light said:
Oh yes, they announced our Fairy Tail english dub cast today...

cant believe Luffy's VA is Erza though...

Sabat as Elfman, eh? That's oddly fitting. Of course the guy has such ridiculous range that it wouldn't matter either way.

Dedication Through Light said:
Oh yes, they announced our Fairy Tail english dub cast today...

cant believe Luffy's VA is Erza though...

Todd Hakerbann is starting to get Johnny Young Bosch syndrome...

Dude has been in every fucking dub I've seen lately.

thetechkid

Jexhius said:
I've watched nine episodes and seen largely comedy and self contained mini stories, so it currently feels like an episodic TV show as opposed to a "shounen" show.

It mostly is episodic, but most story arcs are action packed.

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
How do you manage to contain this much hate inside of yourself?
I don't know if raging about it counts as containing it.
Lain said:
Same way kugi-lolis manage to contain so much strength and violence in their tiny bodies (which is why Mac is so tsun for Goddess Rie), would be my guess.
Magic and willpower.
I hate you.

Nishastra

Banned
Cwarrior said:
this going to be one long week

moeka dmail was her for her to not change phones and keep her old one, wich for some reason change the world lines that the ibn 5100 was taken from the shrine
That's what
she said she was going to text, but no one actually checked what she sent. Similarly, they didn't check what Feyris sent, and that one also screwed things up a lot :p

Okabe needs to be more careful with this kind of stuff. It's probably a bit late now, but for all his playing at being paranoid, he could have stood to actually be more paranoid :p

Shiki 20.5

Like I thought, this was the part where they go into the sewer and focus on Nao. Really the only lengthy scene that was in the manga but omitted from the anime.

So heart breaking :(

Articalys

[C] 1-2

Rushing to play catch-up before the big finale, even though I've heard the basics of one or two of the plot twists already I don't really know the details behind them so it should be fresh enough when they're revealed in-story.
I can see why some people were complaining about the animation early on but otherwise I'm liking it. A bit rude to throw the protagonist into his first battle without any sort of guidance at all. Msyu is pretty cool.

Cloudy

Banned
Cwarrior said:
Steins Gate 12

119810_o.gif

Daaaaaaammmmn

I've only seen ep 1. Will catch up this weekend hopefully

mAcOdIn said:
I don't know if raging about it counts as containing it.

You had to contain it until there was so much of it that you released it as a torrent of pure rage!

In unrelated news, I'm going to pick up Steins;Gate after it finishes it's run. I'm glad I waited!

Cardcaptor Sakura 17:

The obligatory beach episode. Sakura and Shoaran have to team up again to capture The Eraser, which dual-wields railguns to erase their hapless classmates while shouting one-liners with an Austrian accent. "You've been erased." Wait, that's not how it went. Shaoran has a tsundere opportunity with Sakura at the end as well!

zeroshiki

icarus-daedelus said:
So infi-kun was finally proven right about Steins;Gate, huh?

I dono... I saw the first episode and it was an unintelligible mess. The fact that it apparently gets better later doesn't excuse the fact that it didn't do the job that first episodes are supposed to do. Get people interested in watching the show.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zeroshiki said:
I dono... I saw the first episode and it was an unintelligible mess. The fact that it apparently gets better later doesn't excuse the fact that it didn't do the job that first episodes are supposed to do. Get people interested in watching the show.
You just don't understand what is happening since you don't have the whole story yet. It's confusing no matter what format you take it in until you get the clarification. Admittedly I wonder why some of it was omitted in the anime and it didn't really help.

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
You just don't understand what is happening since you don't have the whole story yet. It's confusing no matter what format you take it in until you get the clarification. Admittedly I wonder why some of it was omitted in the anime and it didn't really help.

I'm sure it was meant to be that way and I'm sure the director/screenwriter thought it would be a clever way of doing so but in a TV format (unlike games) you have to wait weekly for the show and doing it like that reduced my interest to getting the next episode and finding out about the world to near 0.

I had no clue what was going on half the time in the episode, there were so many quick cuts, skipped scenes and nonsensical dialogue that it was a wonder I even sat through most of the episode. Add to that the main character is an unlikeable prick.

Uchip

Banned
Been meaning to check out Steins Gate
but in the beginning everyone said it was really boring
is that not the consensus anymore?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zeroshiki said:
I'm sure it was meant to be that way and I'm sure the director/screenwriter thought it would be a clever way of doing so but in a TV format (unlike games) you have to wait weekly for the show and doing it like that reduced my interest to getting the next episode and finding out about the world to near 0.
Well everyone knows this isn't being handled in the best way already. I about said as much when I was watching after I finished chapters of the game that the first episode was waaay too rushed and skipped around strangely.

I had no clue what was going on half the time in the episode, there were so many quick cuts, skipped scenes and nonsensical dialogue that it was a wonder I even sat through most of the episode.
It honestly wont make much sense for a while. That is the point of the whole beginning scene and it did not transition well, but it is the start of the story.

Add to that the main character is an unlikeable prick.
Oh come on!

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
Well everyone knows this isn't being handled in the best way already. I about said as much when I was watching after I finished chapters of the game that the first episode was waaay too rushed and skipped around strangely.

Oh come on!

Yeah and I skipped it because of all the negative impressions. With the positive impressions picking up, I decided to give it another try but was totally repulsed by the first episode. I'm still not sure if I'll continue on and just drop it like I originally was doing anyways.

And he was a prick. He made zero sense the entire episode. If the cynical fat dude was the lead, I'd have enjoyed it more.

Cardcaptor Sakura 18:

The obligatory summer festival episode. Too bad nobody went completely Higurashi and started murdering everybody. Well, it looked like Shaoran and Onii-chan were going to go at it for a moment there, LOL. The ring-toss contest between Shaoran and Onii-chan was hilarious, as was the moment where
Onii-chan was completely tsundere for Sakura. "If you don't want it, I'll take it back." He's so siscon now it's actually really hilarious, plus he's tsun-tsun!
They're doing a better job of playing the weird fucked-up crushes for laughs now, it's okay as long as it's funny! Right? Right?!

real edit: yes, I am an airhead. DEAL WITH IT.

zeroshiki

Unknown Soldier said:
Hanasaku Iroha 18:

The obligatory summer festival episode. Too bad nobody went completely Higurashi and started murdering everybody. Well, it looked like Shaoran and Onii-chan were going to go at it for a moment there, LOL. The ring-toss contest between Shaoran and Onii-chan was hilarious, as was the moment where
Onii-chan was completely tsundere for Sakura. "If you don't want it, I'll take it back." He's so siscon now it's actually really hilarious, plus he's tsun-tsun!
They're doing a better job of playing the weird fucked-up crushes for laughs now, it's okay as long as it's funny! Right? Right?!

How is it in the future? Is Bunny Drop any good?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zeroshiki said:
Yeah and I skipped it because of all the negative impressions. With the positive impressions picking up, I decided to give it another try but was totally repulsed by the first episode. I'm still not sure if I'll continue on and just drop it like I originally was doing anyways.
Well it isn't the best of adaptions I'll give you that. Lacking the inner-monologue, more of the lecture, and general cut content didn't really shine a good light on it for me especially with me coming off reading the entire prologue chapter hours earlier. I haven't watched past what I haven't read so I can't comment on stuff that happens after Chapter 1 being better at divulging information especially with Kurisu's lecture entirely cut out of the second episode. I don't believe anyone else here has played it here either so you'll have to take a leap of faith with this one if you aren't going to pick up the game at all or simply avoid it.

And he was a prick. He made zero sense the entire episode. If the cynical fat dude was the lead, I'd have enjoyed it more.
You're basing this on a poorly handled adaption of the prologue chapter. Daru can't push the story like Okabe can at all since he lacks the ambition to do so, constant paranoia motivating him, and delusional drive Okabe has.

Articalys

[C] 3-5

Yes, surely this suave mentor character who's friends with the creepy jester guy has the best of intentions for our hero.
I found the English pronunciation from the IMF guy to be surprisingly decent. The agent's... not so much.

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
You're basing this on a poorly handled adaption of the prologue chapter. Daru can't push the story like Okabe can at all since he lacks the ambition to do so, constant paranoia motivating him, and delusional drive Okabe has.

Uhh... its the first episode of the anime series. He was presented as such and I'm judging him as such. He might get better or he might not but he sure seemed like it from the first episode.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zeroshiki said:
Uhh... its the first episode of the anime series. He was presented as such and I'm judging him as such. He might get better or he might not but he sure seemed like it from the first episode.
That is pretty much the prologue chapter poorly compacted into an episode.

zeroshiki

InfiniteNine said:
That is pretty much the prologue chapter poorly compacted into an episode.

I don't doubt that its poorly adapted but it doesn't really excuse the anime that the VN is done better. The work needs to stand on its own and its a failing on the part of White Fox and the direction team that the show came off as poorly as it did.

Jasconius

I'd have to say that I really enjoyed Steins;gate right from the start. Actually the first 5 eps were great to me, especially the first episode. It had sort of a feel to it that I didn't get much from anime, like it felt more organic than forced or something. I couldn't wait for each week, it was actually from 6-8 that I was kind of bored for a while. Caught up watching 9-12 today and I have to say that it is my favorite of the season.

Only problem now is that I am so tempted to play the game that it's not even funny.......

On a side note, Crunchyroll's meme substitutions were pretty lame. They just felt totally out of place to me. >_<

Articalys

[C] 6-8

Well, this is getting pretty crazy now.
Sympathetic backstory for Mikuni, too much Midas money in the real world starts to rob it of its future both physically and with people's motivations (which reminds me a bit of Yumekui Merry, actually), drastic reality-warping effects when a district goes south, and the revelation/implication I'd accidentially spoiled for myself beforehand that Msyu is the unborn spirit of Kimimaro's daughter or something.
Oh, and those creepy-ass jesters and the Midas Bank are probably the ultimate villains hailing from some unspecified point in the distant past. Can't really figure out what they gain from futures yet.

Hate to stop after that cliffhanger, but I need sleep and should have plenty of time to finish eps 9-10 before the grand finale in about a day and a half.

Sailor Moon (R) 53-56 -This show is good. I admit it. It's super ultra formulaic and full of repeat animations, but it's fun to watch and entertaining even so. Good stuff. It's good that this arc is almost over though, these villains are REALLY stupid. Mind-numbingly dumb in fact -- I think that Usagi might actually be smarter than either of them, amazingly enough! They're also only moderately evil; yes they drain power from humans, sometimes in cruel ways (draining the energy of babies and kindergarten kids? That's horrible!), but they're also comic relief and and don't seem to kill people. This makes them entertaining, but their stupidity is getting old, and the "why do they stay in this one town when they could get energy just about anywhere else without running into the Sailor Senshi" issue is still in full force and never explained at all. It's good that it's almost over.

Oh yeah, Makoto (Jupiter) is the best sailor for sure. Too bad she probably gets the least attention of the five. She does have an episode here though, when she gets her new attack... it's an amusing one too, where she thinks that the villain guy might be mr. sheik or whatever this version of tuxedo mask is called. She's wrong, but the crush/girls bringing lunches to guys thing is amusing, particularly with how the aliens completely fail to understand the whole thing. They also show how they don't understand humans though, when he says that he doesn't understand love, or something like that. They are human-energy-eating villains after all... it is silly how both are in love with a human while the complain about the other being in love with a human, though. Poor girl alien, the guy completely sabotaged her play with that youma summon...

Also, Ami is so useless most of the time... she has the lamest pose in her transformation sequence, too. I like that she's good at school, but all she's good for in the fights is making fog... well, or freezing now. But she went through the whole first season with her only "attack" being fogmaking! Yeah.

Also I realized that I somehow never reviewed 41-46 despite watching them, so here that review is.

Sailor Moon 41-46 - The end of season one! The last two episodes are by far the most serious ones so far. We learn the backstory of the destruction of the Moon Kingdom,
and then in the last two episodes as they fight some tough enemies the sailor scouts and Mamoru all die for the first time, though of course Usagi brings them all back with her dying wish at the end. Why couldn't Serenity have done that, when she was dying when the Moon Kingdom was destroyed by Beryl the first time? Usagi is her reborn pretty much, yes... so why does she have this power but she didn't before? I mean, we know why she has it now (so they can die but keep the show going as it is), but I do wonder why she couldn't do anything of the sort before. Maybe that she didn't have much fighting training/practice before had something to do with it? I'm not sure.
Anyway, pretty good episodes. Cliche, but this show is always cliche, and it's not bad for what it is. I do like that the whole cast is finally together, Usagi alone is a real pain but having the other four around helps a lot.

Inukami 04-06 - Ep. 4 - Decently good episode. Youko fights the nine girls, and crushes them. We still don't know why she respects Nadeshiko more than the other nine, sure they're pretty stupid and violent while she's completely passive and a good yamato nadeshiko type (hence her name I imagine), but I don't see her as being much better than the rest of them, that's for sure... maybe this will be explained eventually, but it hasn't yet. Hopefully they do, it's a little annoying to not know. But yeah, okay episode.

Ep. 5 - In this episode, we learn the backstory of how our hero got Youko as his inukami. Apparently he'd tried to get an inukami but they'd all rejected him. Then he got a notice that she was interested, so he went right over, wanting an inukami to take care of him and maybe be a girlfriend or something. Youko's not exactly your average inukami, though, and completely cons him. See, normally the human gets an item from the inukami, and gives the inukami a collar in return. She manages to get him to give her something (by seeming to not have anything to give him, he offered something to her saying 'this is yours now' as if he'd take it back as an object or something). Then they fight, and she runs off. He chases after learning that ghosts are now after him, because of the partial bond or something.

See, the partial bond allowed her to go to town for the first time (in a long time at least). She wreaks some havoc, steals cake, and sets some things on fire. Then he finds her, and uses her weakness -- a (normal) dog -- which totally turns her into a helpless wreck. She still ends up winning anyway though, because she then gives HIM a collar, demanding he become bonded to her in recompense for making her feel that bad because of the dog. Lol. So the servant is now the master... good work. :)

Ep. 6 - This episode was bad. Youko isn't in it, so that's one strike (she's the show's best character by far!). Instead, it's about the efforts of the youngest of the 10 girls to try to make up for her being the first one defeated in the battle in ep. 4. She brings a cake for Youko, except she fills it with laxatives. Her plan backfires when the MC eats the whole thing because Youko's not there today and he was hungry. Then this random magical ferret appears, chased by the policeman from episode 1. The ferret can make things it touches stick together, including people (quite inconvenient that). The rest of the episode is a big chase scene where first the three of them, and then the three of them plus several more of the ten girls, chase the ferret. It goes on WAY, WAY too long -- all the way to the end of the episode -- and is pretty boring; sorry, that younger girl just isn't a very interesting character, and her chasing a ferret is not very interesting. It might have worked as a few scenes in an episode about something else, but not as the entire focus of the episode.

The parts with the characters stuck together and being quite unhappy about it (being stuck to a guy with diarrhea?) were mildly amusing, but it sure wasn't enough to save this episode for sure, not even close. I like the main two characters well enough, but these ten other girls get too much focus I think...

Uchip

Banned
Jasconius said:
I'd have to say that I really enjoyed Steins;gate right from the start. Actually the first 5 eps were great to me, especially the first episode. It had sort of a feel to it that I didn't get much from anime, like it felt more organic than forced or something. I couldn't wait for each week, it was actually from 6-8 that I was kind of bored for a while. Caught up watching 9-12 today and I have to say that it is my favorite of the season.

Only problem now is that I am so tempted to play the game that it's not even funny.......

On a side note, Crunchyroll's meme substitutions were pretty lame. They just felt totally out of place to me. >_<

damnit man
im already $50 over my download limit this month :(

listening to the madoka OST
this shit is too good for anime
foreign studios would do well to hire some yoko kanno and yuki kajiura

Steins;Gate 12

Weird episode.

It's very striking how much I'm not bothered by the death of a liked main character, just because I know they will somehow retcon it through some time travel action.

Also, Okabe should've given Mayuri a friendly hug when she was still alive. He's so damn clueless.

And Suzu seems to be a bit of a slow thinker, too. She has obvisouly memories from the future (through time leap I assume), but she's pretty awkward about it. She better has a good reason for being so mystic about the stuff she knows and not helping the crew when the shit hit the fan.

Articalys said:
[C] 6-8

Well, this is getting pretty crazy now.
Sympathetic backstory for Mikuni, too much Midas money in the real world starts to rob it of its future both physically and with people's motivations (which reminds me a bit of Yumekui Merry, actually), drastic reality-warping effects when a district goes south, and the revelation/implication I'd accidentially spoiled for myself beforehand that Msyu is the unborn spirit of Kimimaro's daughter or something.
Oh, and those creepy-ass jesters and the Midas Bank are probably the ultimate villains hailing from some unspecified point in the distant past. Can't really figure out what they gain from futures yet.

Hate to stop after that cliffhanger, but I need sleep and should have plenty of time to finish eps 9-10 before the grand finale in about a day and a half.

Yeah it did get so intense after the backstory, kind of gave me a new appreciation for Mikuni. I still cant get over the character design, main characters eye placement is just odd.

tiff

Banned
Jasconius said:
Actually the first 5 eps were great to me, especially the first episode. It had sort of a feel to it that I didn't get much from anime, like it felt more organic than forced or something.
I stopped watching after episode 2, but while I definitely agree with others that it's a pretty poor introduction to the plot, I enjoyed the interactions between the characters. They were pretty fun.

Jex

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 21

Some crazy person decided to mix world-building, character back story and an actual fight into one tightly packed episode. It's exciting to see an episode firing on all cylinders.

BluWacky

Have I got the right URL for Moonphase? I've been going to http://www.moonphase.cc for years - even yesterday - but today it doesn't seem to be working. Is there a mirror?

I need my pointlessly current list of website updates for shows I don't care about!

Jex

Hyouge Mono 5

Interesting plot and characters, disappointing direction. That's being the story of this show since the opening episode and I don't see anything changing between now and the and the finale.

One thing that really gets me (apart from the non-existent flow, bad cinematography, awkward pacing and amateurish attempts to create a mood) is the cheap CG look of all the "masterpieces". It's like 2002 era shiny CGI models with no textures. Ugh.

Speaking of problematic adaptations:
icarus-daedelus said:
So infi-kun was finally proven right about Steins;Gate, huh?
Yes and no. Yes in that, and most people watching would presumably agree, the story and characters of Steins;Gate are intriguing.

However the direction remains pretty average (not Hyouge Mono bad though) and the first episode in particular had some of the worst editing this side of Yami to B&#333;shi to Hon no Tabibito (which, for reference, is pretty bad). That kind of thing puts people off.

tiff

Banned
Nichijou 12 - That amusement park segment was as good as anything the show's done so far. I was laughing the whole time. Great stuff.

Astarotte no Omocha 11 -
Looks like they're setting up for a sad ending but I'll assume contrived solution will appear as suddenly as the problem itself did.

Jex

Kaiji 12

This show tends to gets interesting when the main antagonist is introduced. This weeks episode is no exception.

Sure, it's a formula, but it works really well.

Kaiji 12

I'm surprised Kaiji cares so much about the old man, even though he was kind of a jerk all the time. It's like he's forgotten all about his own fate and that he is much worse off no matter how this goes.

Oh, and the manager is a pretty lady. It'll be interesting to see how Kaiji will try to bring him down. The magnet in the beer can was pretty lame.

jman2050

Hidan no Aria 10

Oh man, where do I even start.

Planning robberies inside maid cafes, disguising Aria as a maid as part of the plan, implied sexual harassment behind curtains, Joan of Arc the 30000th is suddenly a good guy, TRAGIC BACKSTORY™ for Riko, Kinji accidentally viewing an entire room full of half-naked girls in their underwear inside a closed locker, final confirmation that Kinji is a total lolicon who wants Aria on his nether regions, Kinji getting caught by loli sniper, an attack from a vicious wolf in the middle of a Kinji and said group of half-naked girls, the loli sniper helping Kinji find and catch the wolf (why bother with this?), followed by her opting to take the wolf as her own pet instead of killing it, oh and by the way this entire ordeal occured while loli sniper was still in her green (green? really?) underwear, Kinji coming home to a full on 100% tsun Aria capped off by this little gem.

x6ii5f.jpg

I want to believe the author just knows what he's doing with all this but sometimes I truly think we're supposed to take this seriously. I just don't know anymore.

Articalys

Jexhius said:
Yes and no. Yes in that, and most people watching would presumably agree, the story and characters of Steins;Gate are intriguing.

However the direction remains pretty average (not Hyouge Mono bad though) and the first episode in particular had some of the worst editing this side of Yami to B&#333;shi to Hon no Tabibito (which, for reference, is pretty bad). That kind of thing puts people off.
Does this mean that, when I start trying to catch up, I should be prepared to marathon the first 3-4 episodes in a row to get the best first impression of the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom