• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
None of which is very recent? I guess you can call them mixed, then, because their output lately hasn't been too good.
The only one of those they had any involvement in was Champloo, all those other shows were handled by different companies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Articalys said:
Did Arrietty initially fly under the radar of most people when it was in theaters? I mean, I know everyone's buzzing about it now because of the home release, but if it's that good of a film you'd think there would have been more talk about it.
When it was in theaters, no-one could watch it!

Dresden

Unless you were in Japan or something, but I think almost everyone here is a filthy Western anime nerd.

Azazel-san 12:

That was pretty damn good.

Sakuma confirmed for most moe girl.

Articalys

Well, y'know, I wasn't sure, but I guess only the big-name brand films have news of their reception carry all the way over to this side of the ocean.

Tuned in to Adult Swim in time to catch most of ep. 6 of FLCL, and it was about as crazy as I remember it. I can't really recall the last time I had a chance to watch the whole thing in sequence.
And hey, in the middle of writing this post I found out that Funi has the whole thing both dubbed and subbed on YouTube! So I didn't need to worry about seeing it on TV after all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bah....Ano Hana's finale pretty much destroyed my wife. I can't get her to move off the bed...it's worse than an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
May be kind of off topic, but anyone going to Anime Expo Los Angeles?

I am still debating if I want to go or not, the freaking Miku and kalafina was sold out ~_~ Really I less reason to go for me even though I am so close to it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
kiunchbb said:

I am still debating if I want to go or not, the freaking Miku and kalafina was sold out ~_~ Really I less reason to go for me even though I am so close to it.
I'm going! I think it'll still be fun despite my lack of Miku tickets. >: Hopefully I can find someone willing to part with theirs and I can compensate them.

Articalys

kiunchbb said:

Wait, how much extra were AX concert tickets on top of normal registration?
I'm not going, too much trouble for me to get there, but I'm just wondering.

iavi

kiunchbb said:

Wow, I didn't know that they were going to be down there. I would've love to have seen them.

Articalys

Ahahahaha
Apparently this ran as a full-page ad in some large Tokyo-suburb newspaper either yesterday or today:

Kemjb.jpg

What does the text on the right say?

e: Oh, so apparently the newspaper was in Saitama, since this city was the model for the town in AnoHana, see this bridge as an example.
(source)

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
Ahahahaha
Apparently this ran as a full-page ad in some large Tokyo-suburb newspaper either yesterday or today:

Kemjb.jpg

What does the text on the right say?

e: Oh, so apparently the newspaper was in Saitama, since this city was the model for the town in AnoHana, see this bridge as an example.
(source)

Its a monthly mag, Saitamania.

The text on the right is "Found it".

Neo C. said:
Iroha 9: Ohana is cute and all, but it's annoying how she treats her friend.

When you have the sexhair, you can pretty much do anything to anybody
until you start feeling bad about it, then you'll stop. Maybe.

Dmax3901

I've been lurking this thread for a week or so now and am making my way through Steins Gate and C (which I'm both enjoying as entertainment but I wouldn't say they're fantastic) and I was wondering what you all hold as your favourite Anime series' of all time. Maybe mention your favourite of recent years (2010-11) as well.

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Articalys said:
By the way, when is the summer topic going to go up? A few shows have their debuts this Friday.
This thursday.

Dmax3901 said:
I've been lurking this thread for a week or so now and am making my way through Steins Gate and C (which I'm both enjoying as entertainment but I wouldn't say they're fantastic) and I was wondering what you all hold as your favourite Anime series' of all time. Maybe mention your favourite of recent years (2010-11) as well.

My top 10 anime series (no order)

Crest of the stars / Banner series
Legend of galactic heroes
Mushi-shi
Cowboy bebop
FLCL
Maison ikkoku
Haibane renmei
Samurai X : Trust and betrayal
Future boy conan
Full metal panic fumoffu

Best shows of 2010 were tatami galaxy and panty & stocking.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dmax3901 said:

Mononoke and Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko are must watches.

Go_Ly_Dow

Tiger and Bunny 13: The power of Bromance

Nice wrap up to this arc. I was kinda expecting Jake to get away, but I'm sure we'll see more of him regardless. Lunatic and Jake combo would be nice.

Blue Rose x Tiger next week!

Articalys

What was the reception like for the two Ef anime series? Good, bad, mediocre, only worth it if I'm looking for a certain genre, etc?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Articalys said:
What was the reception like for the two Ef anime series? Good, bad, mediocre, only worth it if I'm looking for a certain genre, etc?
They're by SHAFT, so you can probably assume they are bad and be right.

Anohana ending - Aww... so sad... :( Poor Menma... :(

Iria 05-06 - It's really too bad that this is such a short series, it's pretty good. I wish it had continued (I know there's also a movie, and I want to see that, but beyond that I mean)> There's plenty of room for a continuation, and Iria is a great character so it'd be cool to see more with her in it.

(On that note, she was MIA for way too long in ep. 5, why wait so long in that battle before showing up? Should have come out to fight sooner. Oh well.)

Street Fighter II V 20-22 - Coming towards a climax I guess... Ryu's sort of brainwashed, Chun Li needs to be rescued... I wonder, can Ken do both? I expect Ryu to break free of the mind control and make up for losing the first time by beating Bison or something along those lines, unless Ken has to rescue him before that happens.

Hidan no Aria 10
trejo said:
Bad Aria 11 10

http://i.imgur.com/6wmdkl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8bt91l.jpg

My sides are in so much pain right now. So worth it.
gg is awesome, yeah. The only problem is that their subs make this episode quite difficult to understand... I have no idea if what I just watched has much to do with what actually happened in this episode. Either way though it was pretty awesome, the episode was kind of ridiculous as usual and the subs were completely absurd. gg keeps exceeding themselves almost every episode... between the stupidly literal translation, the screens full of translation notes, and that absurdity, it made for a fun watch for sure. :)

duckroll

Dmax3901 said:

Escaflowne is my favorite TV anime. Whisper of the Heart is my favorite anime movie.

Jex

[C] 11

I have a real post forthcoming to deal with this episode, the story, and my overall impressions of the show. However, right now I want to draw your attention to this very dodgy looking sequence from the finale. It starts with Q penetrating Mysu's belly with her horns/antlers (click to see a larger picture):

What could it be?

Steroyd

Dmax3901 said:

On the contrary going by the cycle of this thread we were overdue on everyone making a list.

I don't have a greatest of all time, but it's worth a punt at looking at Puelle Magica Madoka, Wandering Son, Working and... Durarara? Wow I just can't think of much anime from last year. D:

This season, I'd go with Steins Gate, Sket Dance, Gintama, Yondemesu Azazel-san, Dororon Enma Kun, Kaiji, Tiger & Bunny, Hanasaku Iroha and maaaaayyyyybe Nichijou.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A Black Falcon said:
Anohana ending - Aww... so sad... :( Poor Menma... :(

Iria 05-06 - It's really too bad that this is such a short series, it's pretty good. I wish it had continued (I know there's also a movie, and I want to see that, but beyond that I mean)> There's plenty of room for a continuation, and Iria is a great character so it'd be cool to see more with her in it.

(On that note, she was MIA for way too long in ep. 5, why wait so long in that battle before showing up? Should have come out to fight sooner. Oh well.)

Street Fighter II V 20-22 - Coming towards a climax I guess... Ryu's sort of brainwashed, Chun Li needs to be rescued... I wonder, can Ken do both? I expect Ryu to break free of the mind control and make up for losing the first time by beating Bison or something along those lines, unless Ken has to rescue him before that happens.

Hidan no Aria 10

gg is awesome, yeah. The only problem is that their subs make this episode quite difficult to understand... I have no idea if what I just watched has much to do with what actually happened in this episode. Either way though it was pretty awesome, the episode was kind of ridiculous as usual and the subs were completely absurd. gg keeps exceeding themselves almost every episode... between the stupidly literal translation, the screens full of translation notes, and that absurdity, it made for a fun watch for sure. :)
The only dude in Ano Hana I really felt shitty for was the dude who saw her drown. That sucked.

trejo

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 21

Being determined to help someone doesn't always work out exactly as planned. Reiha getting some character development this time.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 22

Origin story episode, anyone? Let's also take the chance to introduce some major villains why don't we?

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 23

Finally those two are settling the score. Reiha is a really sore loser if you think about it. So your father
cared more about Miyu than you and called out her name with his dying breath
, big deal. Talk about holding a petty grudge.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 24

Yup, that's a totally healthy relationship between siblings. And uh-oh at that ending. Good luck glaring your way out of this one!

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 25

She's... huh? When did...? Wait, what? What th- oh snap! For real? Holy shit, dude, wat? NO WAY! DUDE HOLY SHIT WAT? OH SNAP! SHHHIIIII-

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 26

btzgb.jpg

Dmax3901 said:

Evangelion (both the series and the movies) for short series (Gurren Lagann too), and for longrunning, Bleach. Bakuman and Angel Beats for favorites of 2010-2011, with a mention of Seikon no Qwaser.

Dmax3901 said:

The golden trinity of Haibane Renmei, Dennou Coil and Bakemonogatari. Pretty much impossible to pick a favourite from those three.

In terms of recent years... eh, Bakemono was late 2009 so I'll go with that. To be honest there's a lot of 2010-11 stuff I haven't watched yet.

Branduil

Dmax3901 said:

All-time:

Haibane Renmei
Cowboy Bebop
Monster

Recent:

Madoka
Soredemo

Cwarrior

Dmax3901 said:

all time
1.One piece
2.Hajime no ippo

no order
Mushishi
cowboy bebop
samurai champloo
berserk
hunterxhunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom