• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Hanasaku Iroha - 13

Fun episode, satsuki has been redeemed as a cool character, and if it ended on this episode it would have been a satisfying conclusion to the series.

Also it took 14 episodes to get to our coveted beach episode, that's got to be a record.

Grandma had some epic slaps this ep.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hanasaku iroha 13 - Lolol the preview for next week.. hope we get a new OP to, since the second cour will be starting mmm..>.>

Gvaz

Banned
Jerk said:
Ergo Proxy

Finally managed to finish this.

It was awful. Like watching Eva with even worse writing, and non-direction.

And pretentious as fuck to boot.
I've only seen a handful of episodes and I loved it, does it get worse or something?

Dmax3901 said:
I've been lurking this thread for a week or so now and am making my way through Steins Gate and C (which I'm both enjoying as entertainment but I wouldn't say they're fantastic) and I was wondering what you all hold as your favourite Anime series' of all time. Maybe mention your favourite of recent years (2010-11) as well.

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much...

My short list for favorite anime of all time (sticking to TV series here) would include One Piece, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Aura Battler Dunbine, Yu Yu Hakusho, NANA, and Cardcaptor Sakura.

For the past couple of years, I would put Wandering Son and Puella Magi Madoka Magica as the runaway favorites. There's nothing else that comes close to those two in that time frame.

duckroll

Gvaz said:
I've only seen a handful of episodes and I loved it, does it get worse or something?

If you loved a handful of episodes you'll probably enjoy the series. It was pretty bad from the get-go for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi 10-12:
tUXDul.jpg

mYREvl.jpg

Yeah, so. Pictures, thousand words, etc.

1) Even the shoujo isn't immune to the anthology format. But, what better way to keep a relationship fresh than to have another relationship (a love triangle no less) to distract people?

2) Abandoned puppies/kittens are Japanese Spanish-fly. Apparently there are thousands of abandoned animals living in boxes in Japan just waiting for some boy to rescue them and for some girl/guy to notice them doing so.

3) I know expecting a BL show to somehow represent the Japanese LGBT community is fairly unreasonable, but it's not like I was expecting the Japanese version of Queer as Folk either. So, instead, we have characters who are essentially male "heroines" being seduced by cooler, older men with some lip service being paid to being gay ("I don't like boys... that was an accident back in high school!") before the lip-mashing begins. I can certainly see the appeal, but these characters are gay in the same way that Koruko from Railgun is a lesbian. Also, the pseudo-out/pseudo-closeted dichotomy would be interesting if it weren't so shallow. It really is a have your cake and eat it too situation, unless guys falling over each other and playing tongue hockey is a perfectly normal occurrence in Japan.

Hanasaku Iroha 13:
So, the bad taste of Tokyo is gone and the show is back to the same old beats. Oh, and in an effort to be as subtle as possible, they had the voice actresses play their mothers in the flashback. This was exactly how I saw this arc playing out, even if I expected it to be the finale of the series rather than the half-way point. Of course, this means the vastly inferior KoHana arc will end as expected as well, short of some last minute Fractale-like twist.

tiff

Banned
Oh, geez, totally forgot it's Hanasaku Sunday. Guess I'll be watching a lot of anime today.

Maria+Holic Alive 10-11 - So we finally meet Kanako's sister 1 episode from the end? Haha.

So I guess this means Mariya loses? Wonder if they'll even address that in the finale.

Decado

duckroll said:
If you loved a handful of episodes you'll probably enjoy the series. It was pretty bad from the get-go for me.
Disagree. Thought the first four or five were worthwhile then it started going downhill before completely turning to shit.

mAcOdIn

tiff said:
Oh, geez, totally forgot it's Hanasaku Sunday. Guess I'll be watching a lot of anime today.

Maria+Holic Alive 10-11 - So we finally meet Kanako's sister 1 episode from the end? Haha.

So I guess this means Mariya loses? Wonder if they'll even address that in the finale.
Mariya doesn't lose because of that because of the same reason Mariya didn't lose when Kanako found out, in other words they both knew that Mariya is a boy BEFORE they are/were official students at the academy.

tiff

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Mariya doesn't lose because of that because of the same reason Mariya didn't lose when Kanako found out, in other words they both knew that Mariya is a boy BEFORE they are/were official students at the academy.
Oh, yeah, I forgot how Mariya weaseled out of that one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dedication Through Light said:
Still need to finish up the last few, I guess they left it open for an episode 12.5 or something?
Maybe. The show ends with the dude realizing that he's in love anyway, so in that sense it's fairly conclusive.

iavi

Tales of the Abyss 1

Oh man...

Protip: Alcohol does not make this better. I repeat, Alcohol does not make this better.

icarus-daedelus said:
I think Tatami Galaxy is the best and most distinctive series of the past year and a half or so,

High-Five!

Neo C.

After two rather depressing episode, Iroha 13 brings the good things of this anime back. The generation talk is quite funny.

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:

Only redeeming aspect of the show was the OP/ED and some of the extremely impressive animations.

ReaperXL7

Man i've gotten so far behind in anime it's not even funny, I took the past year to finish up/ watch a bunch of stuff i missed along time ago,and now i'm back to being in the weeds.

Honestly not even sure where I should start for stuff that has come out this year or last, eh I suppose it does not really matter though, part of my enjoyment of anime is going into something i've never seen, or heard of and coming out of it with very good impressions.

Still though, anyone have any recommendations for stuff from 2010/2011? I have alot of interest in anything Fantasy, or Mecha based, but I enjoy alot of other stuff aswell. I really need to catch up on Gundam Unicorn aswell. What seems to be the overall GAF impressions on that in reguards to the rest of the Gundam franchises?

tiff

Banned
Hanasaku Iroha 13 - Ohana's mom may not be the greatest mother, but she's a pretty cool character. Liked the arc dealing with Ohana's old life overall, want to see what happens at Kissuiso next.

And joy among joys, beach episode is up next.

Nichijou 13 - A lot of Nano/Hakase this episode. Heavy on cute but pretty light on laughs. Yuuko's segment was pretty good though.

Dresden

ReaperXL07 said:
Still though, anyone have any recommendations for stuff from 2010/2011? I have alot of interest in anything Fantasy, or Mecha based, but I enjoy alot of other stuff aswell. I really need to catch up on Gundam Unicorn aswell. What seems to be the overall GAF impressions on that in reguards to the rest of the Gundam franchises?
'10:

Spring - Tatami Galaxy

Summer - Senba2

Fall - Panty and Stocking

Winter - Wandering Son, Madoka

As for Unicorn, it's good. Certainly the best thing to come out of Gundam in quite a while.

Jex

Gvaz said:
If you live what you saw you'll probably like the rest! Most people who disliked the show started disliking it around episode 2.

Blader

Dmax3901 said:
I've been lurking this thread for a week or so now and am making my way through Steins Gate and C (which I'm both enjoying as entertainment but I wouldn't say they're fantastic) and I was wondering what you all hold as your favourite Anime series' of all time. Maybe mention your favourite of recent years (2010-11) as well.

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much...

All-time: FLCL
Recent: Gundam Unicorn, Evangelion 2.22 (movie)

Articalys

All-time favorite series? I don't even know if I could narrow the list down to 5, let alone just one. Plus there's a lot of stuff I have yet to watch that could potentially take the top spot.

---

Iroha 13
This show does seem to swing back and forth between drama and easygoing slice-of-life, though I guess that's the way things sometimes work in real life too.

e: That gif below was one of the best scenes of the episode, second only to Ohana's "drunken" rambling; shame it's not running at full speed.

ReaperXL07 said:
Man i've gotten so far behind in anime it's not even funny, I took the past year to finish up/ watch a bunch of stuff i missed along time ago,and now i'm back to being in the weeds.

Honestly not even sure where I should start for stuff that has come out this year or last, eh I suppose it does not really matter though, part of my enjoyment of anime is going into something i've never seen, or heard of and coming out of it with very good impressions.

Angel Beats is a must! With one of the most memorable scenes in Anime in 2010...Its fantastic, if you havent seen it.
blastoffbig.gif

iavi

Madoka 12

I finally got around to finishing this, and I gotta say; it was incredibly pretty, if nothing else.
Because of Homura's constant empowerment, Madoka had enough 'hope' reserved to become a god with the ability to reconstruct the universe at will. That's awesome.

I also find the fact they played up her eventual lonliness, only to then show her chatting with her dead friend, kind of funny. So much for being a lonely omnipotent entity. You can chill with your dead friends, and even give your living ones audible encouragement!
That's not too bad.

Steroyd

Lotte's Toy - End

Fuck Ano Hana, it must have started some chain reaction in the crying department, every anime I've seen so far since, someone is bawlin' their eyes out. >_<

Question: How do you end a loli show?

Answer: You don't.

Can't believe I watched all that.

So with the season nearly over and a bunch of shows having already ended, what are your guys rankings? Here's mine:

1. Toriko
2. Kaiji
3. Deadman Wonderland
4. Dororon Enma-kun
5. Ao no Exorcist
6. [C]
7. Sket Dance
8. Dog Days
9. Denpa Onna
10. 30 year old virgin
11. Lotte

Unraked (need to get caught up): Tiger & Bunny, Steins;Gate, Gintama, The World God Only Knows II

jman2050

Uchip said:
ALL LOOK SAME
...seriously though
why do they use a poorly rendered tree in their trailer

They had too much money stored away from their psychotic fanbase and decided to just pay someone to make a tree to get rid of it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I liked Ergo Proxy, but thought the ending was disappointing. Not in the usual anime disappointing ending way, just didn't feel like a grand enough ending for the show I just watched. Also reminded me too much of the very end of the first Bayformers.

30 year old virgin

Both a heartwarming and depressing ending. Definitely wasn't expecting to actually feel emotional about a show like this. Pretty good show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
30 year old virgin

Both a heartwarming and depressing ending. Definitely wasn't expecting to actually feel emotional about a show like this. Pretty good show.
I guess the obvious question is... is he still a virgin?

firehawk12 said:
I guess the obvious question is... is he still a virgin?

The epilogue seems to be 5-8 years later with him having a kid (idk exact time period, the kid's age isn't specified and he doesn't really look any older at all), so I highly doubt it.

icarus-daedelus said:
If I recall correctly, the few really stellar episodes of Ergo Proxy are more towards the middle. So it's certainly worth finishing if you liked it from the start.

No, it really isn't. The ending is completely terrible. A lot of the middle episodes sucked too. In fact, if you're going to bother with Ergo Proxy, I would only really suggest watching like the first story arc or so, like 6 episodes, then episode 16 (Busy Doing Nothing), then imagine in your head the most awesome ending ever for the show, because the real ending was a piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom