• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 46: Admiral Yang's Ark

~ To me, political power is like sewage. ~

3RaBrqT.jpg

And so, once again, Iserlohn Fortress is back in Imperial hands. I really wonder what trickery Yang used though as a failsafe.
Admiral von Reuental is very similar to Reinhard in a couple of ways. At least, he thinks with the same patterns. Though, letting the entire 13th Fleet go is gonna prove painful for the future.

obin_gam

Just watched Gargantia and really really liked it! The setting was great and the main characters actually likeable, despite his stupid hair color :D

Will follow religiously!

In a way, I don't really want the alien conflict to have anything to do with the rest of the series. Can't they just go on awesome adventures excavating stuff from the bottom of the sea and discovering ancient civilisations or something? That would be ace.

This is what I want too, it would be a fantastic opportunity for an old school treasure hunt series!

nyaruko W 1

it's baaaack. all that budget to waste on eps one! Love that they already reference Kamen Rider Wizard off the bat and more references.

Still, silly fun cute show.

Reknoc

Gargantia - 1

I love how colourful the space stuff was, the aliens (I also like the enemy aliens designs), the pilots, the uh spacey parts. The second half wasn't quite as good, but I think it just didn't have enough time so I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Dennis

Banned
All the Big Three of this season should have an |OT|

By Big Three I of course mean Attack on Titan, Gargantia and Oreimo 2.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 46: Admiral Yang's Ark

~ To me, political power is like sewage. ~

And so, once again, Iserlohn Fortress is back in Imperial hands. I really wonder what trickery Yang used though as a failsafe.
Admiral von Reuental is very similar to Reinhard in a couple of ways. At least, he thinks with the same patterns. Though, letting the entire 13th Fleet go is gonna prove painful for the future.

You're almost there, the episodes which'll show you why Yang Wenli is the best strategist.

duckroll

It was an OT for a show that was a year away.

It should be unlocked now, though. We must support Jexhius' original thread.

No it wasn't. It was a thread about the announcement of the second season, and then someone apparently claimed that it was even more incest-pandering or whatever than the original (wut), so EviLore locked it. Lol.

It should not be unlocked because it was never an OT to begin with!

Narag

Jojo 26 FIN

Knew about the arm, didn’t make it any less good though.
I wish more stuff pulled off last second turnabouts like this show did. Lots of great back and forth by both sides to finish the series out the past few eps. Even when it got a little out there,it still felt right as part of rising stakes and general escalation. I can totally see why people were psyched for Battle Tendency to be animated now too.

Great finish to a great show that succeeded in spite of its production values. Bring on Part 3.

Oreimo S2 1

This reminds me that I never watched the True End stuff. Does this pick up after that or the TV series ending that I can’t remember?
Going to assume True End given that Kuroneko flashbacks.

Aside from that, aw yeah, I’ve missed this. Already a 9.08 on MAL so looks like a surefire hit.
Forgot how much I liked the anime parody stuff.

Majestic Prince 1

Subtle commentary about mecha shows with interchangeable sameface protagonists and how the support cast is truly what’s most memorable. Show has a great energy to it and if it can temper that with some military drama, it’ll be good. Will be worth it for the sexy CG mecha action at any rate.

Aku no Hana 1

Don’t really mind the rotoscoping at all. In fact, it sort of gives me the feeling it’s done this way to make it more accessible to a larger audience. Problems I do have are the background characters literally being part of the background, overuse of stills, and I’ve a feeling the actual drama won’t be all that interesting.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent 1-45

whbIBppl.jpg

Well that wasn’t a shirt I was expecting to see.

I, uh, have no idea why I went through this much in the course of a week yet I feel guilty about a couple eps of anime when I’m busy. :lol Maybe because I watch this passively or while multitasking where I seem to devote my full attention to anime. Sounds like a good reason to not be so resistant to dubs. Thinking I have a soft spot for eccentric detective shows too which D’Onofrio delivers in spades. Goren is husbando material.

To get sort of back on-topic, what are the good mystery anime out there? Pretty sure I have a soft spot for this sort of thing but haven’t an idea how popular it is. Not talking about something like Hyouka either.

Muromi-san 1

based Instro
OP was seriously awesome too.

Beast Saga 3

The king in this is characterized as kinda naive and young, uncomfortable with his position, etc yet he has a teenage son? That was unexpected. More of the same though with villains appearing and needing crushed.

Attack on Titan 1

bwSHWLIl.jpg

Art in this was just lovely.

I like how the Recon Corps returning gave Slideshow of Hamelin a run for its money or lack thereof. First half drama felt forced too. What was with that blood at the end too? Looked like flowing blood cells rather than splatter or whatever. smh

It felt better once Eren met up with his family though. Attack on the city was wonderfully oppressive, musical score seems serviceable, and I really enjoy the art, particularly the thick character outlines. Teamhype is off to a good start.

08th MS Team Battle in Three Dimensions

Never realized Nobuyuki Hiyama was Shiro. Guess I usually watched this dubbed back in the day. Even then I didn’t pick up on it until his voice was cracking.

While it was nice to revisit this property and it looked great, it seemed really by the numbers and the choreography of the mecha battle was super bland. Given the series brought us that Gouf Custom fight (you know the one!!), it’s a lost opportunity they couldn’t build on that legacy or at the very least complement it. Only thing of real value to come from it was the Michel/Sanders bonding stuff.

Death Billiards

So fucking good. It’s nice to have something else modern that I can recommend to people. Love that premise and wish I had a 13 ep series of character drama between folk in these death games. Bartender and compatriot would be a perfect anchor for it all.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know how to feel about this.

I generally agree with the overall scores of MAL. I don't think I've ever found myself to be this far at odds with something. Am I a weirdo for liking Aku no Hana? I thought it was great. I'm questioning everything about myself right now.

:(

You're only a weirdo for liking the Jets. Liking Aku no Hana means you are normal.
Its an experimental show with questionable artistic direction, but not a bad one.

Almost as bad as

BFa4cmJCQAEplz9.jpg

Aw hell no. Thats really cute!

I liked Attack on Titan because it has a city and huge walls and reminds me of Haibane / Hard Boiled Wonderland so I'll continue to watch. Giant wall fetish.

Ok that description has sold me on it. Shit. Another show to keep up with.

YES! GATCHAMAN WAS REIMAGINED AS A MAHOU SHOUJO WITH A FEMALE PROTAGONIST!

IWSbtGN.jpg

Ok now its just not fair.

This is the season that gets 4 threads.

Doubt it. I don't think its possible.

Skyward Sword

This optimism makes me excited...but I simultaneously am unsure I can handle it!

OH NO YOU DIDNT! Skyward Sword is one of the best Zeldas.

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san 09

She has fallen into the deep end.

Is this the girl that turned into a cow? what was the story behind that? Is she a demon also?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was thinking about making the crappiest OT for Oreimo S2. Just post my Avatar and say Enjoy the show!

Erigu

[Shingeki no Kyojin]
Seems there's a split on people that find the direction appropriate and not too bombastic, and those that think it's way too much.
I'm on the "way too much" side...

It's pretty much a straight retelling of the first one-and-a-half chapters, the only changes were a few additions. Actually, one of the changes is really interesting in that they showed us parts of Eren's dream; that didn't happen in the manga.
Nothing about Eren dreaming of an older Mikasa though. Kinda has to be important, so I'm worried this might mean they're going with an original ending for the TV series...

Andrew J.

Gargantia 01

The sci-fi setting of the first half was an amusingly derivative mashup of Starship Troopers, Ender's Game, and Warhammer 40,000, but it's probably for the best that the show didn't linger there too long. By no means are scrappy, low-tech post-apocalypse settings original either, but it felt quite a bit fresher. Maybe it's just because I'm coming off of Psycho Pass and am worn out on Gen Butch's vision of computerized dystopia.

BluWacky

Law & Order: Criminal Intent 1-45

Ahahahahahaha! Did you watch the first episode of Hannibal last week? If not, do so - it was an ace pilot, really creepy, and as per all Bryan Fuller shows had beautiful production design.

To get sort of back on-topic, what are the good mystery anime out there? Pretty sure I have a soft spot for this sort of thing but haven’t an idea how popular it is. Not talking about something like Hyouka either.

Well the "granddaddy" of them all is Detective Conan, but with hundreds of episodes it might be a bit of a tough one to chew. For a similar long runner, there's Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo ("Young Kindaichi Case Files"). You MAY even enjoy Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple, if you like classic British mysteries (with added duck sidekicks).

Given how most anime features or is targetted at teenagers, there's little in the way of L&O type stuff - that's mostly confined to live action. There are of course elements of these procedural cases in shows like Witch Hunter Robin and, more recently, Psycho Pass, but I don't think either of those are really what you're looking for.

The best mystery anime, though, in recent years, would probably be Mouryou no Hako, if you've followed any of the backlog season posts about it.

gargantia 1

So... pretty much Star Ocean mixed with macross zero. Let the white (hair) man civilize these barbarians.

the first half battle was an orgy of visuals which I doubt we will see much of later, but I'm liking the scifi aspects of the show so far. MC reminds me of the guy from Infinite Space lol.

Will keep watch for now.

Metrotab

Banned
Yahari Ore blablabla SNAFU - 1

This show is like pre-genre shift Medaka Box with added misanthropy and assholes for characters.

Seriously, none of these people are sympathetic in any way. The MC sounds like he posts about Linkin Park on his tumblr or something.

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. 12

I gotta say, this show has a lot more depth than I ever thought it would. The whole grimore and angel stuff is pretty interesting and never really expected the show to do it again.

Narag

Ahahahahahaha! Did you watch the first episode of Hannibal last week? If not, do so - it was an ace pilot, really creepy, and as per all Bryan Fuller shows had beautiful production design.

I heard good things about it. Getting in on the ground floor sounds nice.

Well the "granddaddy" of them all is Detective Conan, but with hundreds of episodes it might be a bit of a tough one to chew. For a similar long runner, there's Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo ("Young Kindaichi Case Files"). You MAY even enjoy Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple, if you like classic British mysteries (with added duck sidekicks).

Given how most anime features or is targetted at teenagers, there's little in the way of L&O type stuff - that's mostly confined to live action. There are of course elements of these procedural cases in shows like Witch Hunter Robin and, more recently, Psycho Pass, but I don't think either of those are really what you're looking for.

The best mystery anime, though, in recent years, would probably be Mouryou no Hako, if you've followed any of the backlog season posts about it.

I saw Witch Hunter Robin forever ago and liked it a lot in that regard until they wussed out. Looking at what's listed, Mouryou no Hako and Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple look the most appealing after cursory wiki glances. The duck sidekicks are just a bonus. Thanks!

trejo

OH NO YOU DIDNT! Skyward Sword is one of the best Zeldas.

Having powered through it and after practically forcing myself to finish the thing, eh, no it's really not.

Definitely one of the best Zelda designs, though.

Is this the girl that turned into a cow? what was the story behind that? Is she a demon also?

What you're referring to is from one of the OVAs. You should watch the whole thing if you wanna find out. It's got plenty of moe all around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom