• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah, can't agree with that. Oh Strike Witches has lots of visual service. But that's a separate matter from characterization.
Obviously T&A service is a huge turn-off for many people, so I don't mean to imply people who hate that should force themselves to watch Strike Witches.
Just saying, as someone who isn't turned off by that, I like Strike Witches' characters more than GuP's.
I guess it all begins with the fact that they don't want pants though. lol

Ah well, the original topic was "girls and military." I agree that Saki is much more similar to GuP than Strike Witches.
Well, I'm agreeing with you in that GooP doesn't really focus much on the characters beyond the perfunctory glance at the five main girl's backgrounds.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory 13

What. The Hell. I mean REALLY. So much of that finale was ridiculously contrived. Shima is working for the Federation! Even though she triggered this whole Colony Drop! Nobody is working for the Federation! Everybody is working for the Federation! Nina and Gatoh are in love so she can't shoot him! Nina and Kou are in love so she can shoot him! The Meteor System from Gundam SEED looking hella out of place here!

No, okay, but can we go back to Nina and Gatoh for a second? How in the hell was THAT built up? It wasn't. They just DROP THAT OUT OF NOWHERE on us. And even though Gatoh is bleeding out, he has time to walk all over Kou in a mobile suit fight. Or Mobile Armor fight. I don't know.

This is not the worst Gundam, and 00 is still slightly ahead of it in terms of awful, but MAN this is such a horrible, contrived, stupid show with an incredibly ass pulled finale.

NO ONE SHOULD EVER WATCH THIS.

I don't know, Saki and Saki Achiga-hen are that as well... though I guess you might call that a little less purely focused on that because of the yuribait/etc. elements? But the mahjong makes up a huge part of the series, and both protagonist teams are very much underdogs, Achiga maybe even more so than Kiyosumi. Saki Achiga-hen is recent and is absolutely in that category of shows.

I would say that Saki works in the same way as a "battle-shounen" series but I'm not a Saki expert in any way.

I like to think that, if you look at it the right way, GuP is at least half a mecha anime...while still being a sport anime.

Why mecha? The way the tanks are integrated part of the daily life reminds me a little bit on Patlabor but not sure why GuP should be a secret mecha show.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Noriko is a Gunbuster reference.

Shergal

Full Metal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

That was pretty good.

The storyline was interesting while remaining in the spirit of FMA: strongly defined characters, a huge amount of action opportunities and a sociopolitical undercurrent related to the world these characters live in. I think it was a bit too fast, especially near the end where a lot of plot points were falling on top of each other. But anyway, it never was too jarring, the featured side-characters were well established and likeable and the epic scope typical of these movies made it a good watch.

Of course, the most striking aspect of Milos is the animation style. Totally different from the series, but I prefer it. It was much more loose and floaty, and wasn't afraid of morphing the designs. It all very fresh and perfectly executed. Not only the mind-boggling action, but the expressions of the characters and their corporal acting were distinct and pleasant to watch. There were very few visually dull moments in the film, not in the action, not in the expository parts, not in the presentation of the setting (the CGI on the train ride was a bit off-putting, but nothing major). The direction was succinct and correct, and gave a lot of room for the animators to do their thing with lingering character shots and tons of choreography.
It really was a ride. I can't recommend it to people who are unfamiliar with FMA's world and mechanics, unlike many franchise movies that can stand on its own. But as an addition to the main franchise, it works perfectly.

I'm more excited for Gargantia now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're a nonsense.

(¬_¬)

Full Metal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

That was pretty good.

The storyline was interesting while remaining in the spirit of FMA: strongly defined characters, a huge amount of action opportunities and a sociopolitical undercurrent related to the world these characters live in. I think it was a bit too fast, especially near the end where a lot of plot points were falling on top of each other. But anyway, it never was too jarring, the featured side-characters were well established and likeable and the epic scope typical of these movies made it a good watch.

I don't really remember the movie, but I was struck by how it basically encapsulated the entire arc of the series in a single movie. That's something else.

---

Mangirl fin
Well, I did not expect the meta ending. But it actually kind of works. lol

Rayearth

Neo Member
Why mecha? The way the tanks are integrated part of the daily life reminds me a little bit on Patlabor but not sure why GuP should be a secret mecha show.

Well, all of the action involves machines driven by the characters shooting the hell out of each other in a combat situation. I'd also say that the Anglerfishtank and its comrades have Gundam-style plot armor and evasion, but I'd like to think that even Gundam has gotten better at that kind of thing...maybe.

What's kind of funny is that in your normal mecha anime involving 2+ warring factions or whatever, the writers can make up a mecha development tree (ex. Zaku II > Gouf > Dom > Gyan/Gelgoog) for the protagonists and antagonists, while in GuP, the writers are stuck with what was actually developed historically. If there's a season 2, what will they bring out to surprise and impress the audience? There isn't a lot of tanks more powerful than the Maus without going postwar.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What Gundam comes next in UC?

Zeta I think.

tumblr_m3ujoz9Vuv1qf6jyuo1_1280.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't really remember the movie, but I was struck by how it basically encapsulated the entire arc of the series in a single movie. That's something else.

I can only remember my seething rage toward the ending.

Wow, that is very cheap. I need a job nonetheless.

I've been jobless for like three years and I still bought it! I guess we know which of us is the true fan here.

I can initiate you into my dark arts of "getting stuff shipped from amazon.co.jp to NA" if you so desire.

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 33

Dang, Pizza is kinda a jerk now that he's not a villain. Also Kaidou can go fall in a well. Kid's taking away from MAMORU time. And Mamoru's parents are the greatest. They're just really nice and supportive and idyllic. It's nice to see the simple, happy side of Mamoru's world after some seriously heavy episodes.

GTO 33

HOLY EFF. Kanzaki plotted a kidnapping, armed assault, and extortion. This girl is seriously scary when she wants to be. And of course, Onizuka wrecked her schemes like a bull in a china shop. Most important, though, is that Kanzaki's scheme played out to the greater good anyway, and had the added bonus of cracking Miyabi. It turns out that Miyabi's dad is on those business trips having an affair. Which, come to think of it, was kinda obvious. Best of all though was seeing the Mercedes Benz return, because the Benz trumps Uchiyamada's Cresta every time.

Vice Principal Uchiyamada is kinda the Ice King of GTO.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 S2 8

Hey so uh, I'm not buying this anymore. I'm sorry, but no way in hell did Aeolia plan all this jazz. It doesn't add up. If Aeolia HAD planned all of this, then why would he have left that message for the Gundam pilots. This business of pushing humanity into space makes no sense, doesn't mesh with the original objective, and doesn't mesh with the message he left when he got headshotted.

I guess the idea is he's supposed to be Hari Seldon, preparing humanity for an alien conflict, but it doesn't add up.

Oh, and death means absolutely NOTHING in this show. Lockon didn't stay dead, Gauron didn't stay dead, and now Patrick isn't dead.

This is silly and stupid. At least the actual plot of Stardust Memory made sense. At least, compared to this.

I've been jobless for like three years and I still bought it! I guess we know which of us is the true fan here.
I hate this economy. I really do.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I have a job, but I don't much enjoy where I live. And I've applied for jobs other places, but haven't found a single one. So I'm not moving anywhere.

It's not so fine. But at least I have something. I definitely feel lucky when I know there are so many people out there who cannot even manage to find a job. My cousin has been unemployed for five years due to not finding a job and having social anxiety disorder getting in the way. And several of my friends can't find jobs, either.

Hope things get better for you on that front.

CorvoSol

Yeah, okay, cross-dressing Tieria and also Regene is a man? I think I'm done with this show now. And before someone brings up Cloud crossdressing, the game had been just fine to that point, whereas this show has hardly been just fine.

Today is your lucky day, Stardust Memory, as 00 has just cemented itself as 2nd Worst Gundam.

Jex

They are also saying the manga sales might affect their decision but that's probably just marketing talk. They just don't seem that motivated to actually license it.

Probably with good reason. We all know it's doomed to reach only a tiny audience!

Do Vertical sell e-books? At least if they were doing an e-book the inly price would be the translation/editing.

Branduil

I think Tamako Market suffered from not having a clear hook like some of their other shows. It's not at all clear what the show is about just from watching the first episode.

CorvoSol

In case it wasn't clear enough, Gundam 00 gets to go in the bin with Rah Xephon as "Shows that are so bad I quit watching them partway through." This bin is next to Gundam AGE, which is marked "the show so bad I should have quit watching it."

Morris

Disco Devil
Kimagure Orange Road 1 - 4

tumblr_mk1jjgEJU21qzgkr3o1_500.gif

Putting aside the fact that the main character is a gigantic dumbass, I'm loving the hell out of this show.

I bet this is gonna be 48 episodes of the MC fucking up, but Ayukawa and Hikaru are awesome enough to put up with his stuff. Also the soundtrack is amazing.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strike Witches S2 - 08

9isyNkH.png

:sdburton

Oh nice, Miyafuji got some new strikers. And while Eila x Sanya is great and all, I gotta go with Miyafuji x Lynette as my OTP. They are just so cute together.

From what we saw at the end, I hope Mio doesn't begin having an inferiority complex towards Miyafuji due to the latter's power becoming stronger than ever. :lol

Jex

I think Tamako Market suffered from not having a clear hook like some of their other shows. It's not at all clear what the show is about just from watching the first episode.

I'm still not entirely sure what the hook is now! I mean, the show has been very well made thus far (with a handful of truly exceptional episodes) but it's totally failed to develop into a work that demands my attention. It just looks good in comparison to most of what is currently airing but I can't imagine ever re-visiting the work down the line. Which isn't to say that re-watch-ability is an important factor in deciding whether a series is great or not.

survivor

Banned
Manga sales? It's been licensed?
Yeah, they licensed the smutty manga version.

Probably with good reason. We all know it's doomed to reach only a tiny audience!

Do Vertical sell e-books? At least if they were doing an e-book the inly price would be the translation/editing.

If I remember correctly only couple of their manga are offered as digital titles and they have no plans of doing the same for their novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom