• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So where does KyoAni get the budget money for its high quality productions? With the last three shows performing below par, surely they have to save money in production right? How do they do it?

Step 1: Make more Chuu2 to get some sales
Step 2: Use left-over funds to change Aya Hirano's name and plastic surgery to give her a new face, but leave her voice intact
Step 3: Haruhi Season 3
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!

Syrinx

Spice and Wolf 12

Well, things look kinda bleak.
Lerendt betrayed everyone and now had his men leave Lawrence and Nora left for dead, probably assuming they'd be eaten by the wolves. Now it's up to Holo to save the day. Maybe some payback afterwards.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I know yall hate SAO and everything but I had to put this for SDBurton as it came up on my facebook feed. LOL.

540026_503985519660145_1995967349_n.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Typical pose for a doujin cover that will not be SDBurton in the slightest. You have much to learn.

wonzo

Banned
I wake up to the news of a new chuu2 series and no Swimming series. fuck anime

The market spoke, darkside is in tune with the demands of the people.
what a sad world we live in

so, Rikka is turning back to how she was for some lame reason? basically season 1 is undone I guess.
The fial episode undid all the character development anyway so this really shouldn't be a surprise at all, what a garbage show.

not bad, not bad.

/immediately hides all of it from view
nice artbook

So that tumblr post from Vertical, Inc. saying they'd consider translating Shinsekai Yori if they got ~4500 likes is only up to 1017 after almost two months. feels bad man
They'd just come up with some pathetically aggressive and smarmy excuse not to do it anyway.

Well I can't really argue with that. It did reveal that there are a bunch of history nerds that also have a love for animal ears and butts.

It does seem so.

Nah, can't agree with that. Oh Strike Witches has lots of visual service. But that's a separate matter from characterization.
Obviously T&A service is a huge turn-off for many people, so I don't mean to imply people who hate that should force themselves to watch Strike Witches.
Just saying, as someone who isn't turned off by that, I like Strike Witches' characters more than GuP's.
GuP isn't really about having the best characters though, it's more about the action and story, so that's not a negative, just a style difference.

Ah well, the original topic was "girls and military." I agree that Saki is much more similar to GuP than Strike Witches.
The characters in Saki have better and more characterization than the ones in GuP, I would say, but yeah, Saki is definitely much more like GuP than Strike Witches.

I would say that Saki works in the same way as a "battle-shounen" series but I'm not a Saki expert in any way.

Saki and GuP are both, at their core, sports animes.

Kimagure Orange Road 1 - 4

http://24.media.tumblr.com/99c613829e3da121c615012a1ee22083/tumblr_mk1jjgEJU21qzgkr3o1_500.gif

Putting aside the fact that the main character is a gigantic dumbass, I'm loving the hell out of this show.

I bet this is gonna be 48 episodes of the MC fucking up, but Ayukawa and Hikaru are awesome enough to put up with his stuff. Also the soundtrack is amazing.
KOR... like two episodes in you can already see how it'll end, but it takes forever to get there. So yeah, expect lots of stupid stuff...

[Martian Successor Nadesico] 1 - 8

I'm not entirely sure why this series is revered to the point where people still actually remember that it exists. This is not a series that has stood the test of the time although, frankly, I don't picture this being a particularly strong series when it came out. Sure, it's got a lot of 'ideas' and some of those are actually executed on fairly well but it's a very messy series that can't seem to get a handle on what it wants to be.

Which that I mean to say Hitokage is right, again. I can safely say that this shouldn't even be thought about in the same breath as other science fiction classics like Banner/Crest of the Stars.

Hmm, I guess that sounds rather harsh their you have it. The speed in which this devolved into a hare, (although it didn't start of great) is fairly trying. I guess this show is for you if you like girls with big chests.
Yeah, Nadesico really is Mood Whiplash: The Show. I tried watching it years ago now, and I thought it was okay, but I dropped it midway because of how much I disliked the constant tone shifts, and also because the cast is mostly mediocre (Ruri stands out more because she's one of the only good characters there, more than because she's actually great or something...), the main couple generic and annoying, and such. But yeah, that mood whiplash... the show goes from stupid comedy one episode, to characters-dying drama the next. It makes no sense, and never attempts to. And I don't like that about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah, Nadesico really is Mood Whiplash: The Show. I tried watching it years ago now, and I thought it was okay, but I dropped it midway because of how much I disliked the constant tone shifts, and also because the cast is mostly mediocre (Ruri stands out more because she's one of the only good characters there, more than because she's actually great or something...), the main couple generic and annoying, and such. But yeah, that mood whiplash... the show goes from stupid comedy one episode, to characters-dying drama the next. It makes no sense, and never attempts to. And I don't like that about it.

It's not really mood whiplash, its the entire point of the show.

Nadesico is a show thats both self deprecating and completely serious at the same time. It's a mecha/scifi type of show that is both serious and yet the greatest in comedy - an absolutely hilarious parody of oh so many tropes in the genre yet being one it of itself at the same time. It's a mockery to the entire genre, really to the traditional notion of what an anime has to be about and thats why its so brilliant.

I've never watched a show thats quite like Nadesico. The closest is something like Irresponsible Captain Tylor but it doesn't have the same level of charm.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Pretty much what BGBW said. Looks like a doujin cover where they're about to be worked by 15+ guys. :(

15 Kirito clones + Klein in the backgroung fuming with envy that the Kiritos are paying attention to the bland women and not hi-OH GOD ANIME WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!

cajunator

Banned
So...is this show bad or, what?

He's saying its good.

Nadesico is a show thats both self deprecating and completely serious at the same time. It's a mecha/scifi type of show that is both serious and yet the greatest in comedy - an absolutely hilarious parody of oh so many tropes in the genre yet being one it of itself at the same time. It's a mockery to the entire genre, really to the traditional notion of what an anime has to be about and thats why its so brilliant.

I've never watched a show thats quite like Nadesico. The closest is something like Irresponsible Captain Tylor but it doesn't have the same level of charm.

Nadesico is one of those shows that was probably best enjoyed in the context of other shows in its genre around the same time. Its similar to stuff like Outlaw Star and Vandread, though IMO better than all of them.

Dresden

tamako market - 12

It's a nice conclusion, but it also feels perfunctory in a way. Just a hard place to be in after how the dead mother story was brought to a close in episode 9. The last three episodes are an endpoint to the two storylines no one cared about and it suffers from that--the outcome is never in doubt, the decisions feel pre-planned and how else could it possibly end? Irony being that it's precisely the intended message--Tamako is rooted to the district and the people there and that point has been hammered home so much, for it to have turned out any other way would have felt off. And yet when it does there's a disappointment there, not even worrying about the feeling of anticlimax, just a need for some sort of recognition that there is a price for the kind of rooted permanence Tamako craves, and gets.

the twitterman and the price of servitude said:

Still, good show, good effort.

Nafe

Strike Witches - 03

Yoshika's fascination with Lynette's breasts is adorable. :)

Does that mean you find Chet adorable?

Well thanks for all the news and sales data you brought to the thread. I'm going to miss the fan art stuff you found as well. I certainly appreciated it anyway as I'm not always up on everything like a bunch of others are or maybe aware of what the different artists have been up to. Hopefully you decide to come back to the thread after a bit of a break as I had no problems with your posts even if they weren't news related. :)

Can Seraphis be renamed to jman2050 II in an akb0048 style succession?

Haha, I wound up getting a bit of a laugh from the thought of this. Is there anyone you would hope to succeed you as "Narag the second"?

How does that even work?!

I find myself thinking that sometimes with things that actually exist like the really big cruise liner ships sailing around.

Strike Witches - 10

Miyafuji's stubborness just put her (and now her friends) in some deep shit. Oh and OTP of the show. (nsfw)

With the picture there, would that be more :Chet or :SDBurton? Since it's kind of both maybe we need a :ChetBurton?

Sailor Moon 21

Silly bunny anime is for kids. Ikuhara episode? Ikuhara episode! No tuxedo mask sighting this episode I am pleased ans saddened to report. (swag levels were quite down) and the fight was pretty short for all the hype but we did get a sweet combination attack. I like how the transformation was done in this episode.

She obviously had an anterior motive and the faces deliver in showing just that! But it was a pretty light on faces episode too tbh. :wonzo. Vilains looked pretty cool at least, though I guess
how fast they lost was the joke in this case maybe!
Goldfish spotted! destroyed.jpg

First you get the LN published, then you get KyoAni to make the anime. Steps!

I remember that scene with Rei but didn't know about Goldfish Warning! when watching it so it's neat when you and Regulus Tera point out these little cameo appearances.

Chuu2 S2 announced; KyoAni must be in serious need of money.

Just saw this and if there is an absence of Touka then the first part/series automatically defaults to being better already.

not bad, not bad.

/immediately hides all of it from view

That Umakoshi book looks nice. What are those Smile PreCure! figures? At first I thought they were nendoroids but now they look maybe more like keychains or something with what looks like a little loop on the top of them.

K-ON! > Tamako > Nichijou > Chu-2 > Swimming Boys PV > Hyouka

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
April 4th/7th needs to hurry up and get here. I want to be disappointed by Titan and DeSu.

Yeah, exactly. Nadesico is a show that manages to parody all of the ridiculousness of mecha anime, while also telling a serious plot which subverts the typical tropes of the genre. It does a brilliant job at making fun of all of the characters and their ridiculous and contrived situations, and then in the next moment has you feeling all of their emotions and taking everything seriously.

It's also a rare example of an anime which can actually be called post-modern in a legitimate usage of the term (as opposed to many other times in which that phrase is thrown around incorrectly to anything that's slightly different), and wants to reexamine the relationship between the form and function of a story, and interact with its audience in a more meaningful way than simply conveying a story.

cajunator

Banned
Just gotta have someone as awesome as Lizbest lose out.

Not so much this. Kanna lost out in Ano NAtsu and some of my favorite characters "lose" in a lot of shows.

A girl who likes boobs is already :SDBurton, no need to make it redundant!

An already bad show with not many cute things to boot, I take it.

More this. I wasn't even entertained by it in the usual "its stupid fun" way. Its probably partially because I dont give a shit about MMO games or things based on them, but there really wasnt anything interesting about the show to me. Except the aforementioned Lisbest and Silica who were islands of cute in a sea of fuck.

jbug617

Banned
GJ-bu 12

Pretty tame episode to end the show with. Highlight of the episode was the moment with Kyoro and Kirara. Also
more spinning. Too bad no Mori to finish the show

This show was my surprise show of the season. I didn't expect to like it as much as i did.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That Umakoshi book looks nice. What are those Smile PreCure! figures? At first I thought they were nendoroids but now they look maybe more like keychains or something with what looks like a little loop on the top of them.

Yeah, just keychains. I know, princess forms are uggo, but it's what was available when I played my order. I gotta remember to buy stuff earlier in the season from now on.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 60

Now introducing TWISTER DUELING

Well I pretty much have to watch this show at some point now.

I'm much rather succeed wonzo or madpierrot than curse another with my name!

I dunno, man, Narag is synonymous with classy. Someone would be a fool to turn down your title given the high bar necessary to qualify for it.

So...is this show bad or, what?

Jury's still out. It's better if you've seen several of the other seasons just for the novelty of how many things this season does differently, but more than anything else, it's just really weird.

That's true I suppose. Unless she only liked her for just her chest.

I don't know as I haven't seen Strike Witches yet.

Lynne is a lovely girl who also happens to have giant boobs. And the love is mutual according to my goggles and fanart.

Not so much this. Kanna lost out in Ano NAtsu and some of my favorite characters "lose" in a lot of shows.

I hope this implies Kanna was your favorite, because then we'd be even more nakama than before I knew this.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tamako Market - 10-12 [END]

Satisfying conclusion to an enjoyable show. Episode 9 remains to be the best episode this show had to offer and I only wished they would've directed things in a way where that would've been our finale as it was pretty powerful and tied up what I felt was the more important storyline of Tamako Market. That said, I had a blast watching this show and I'll be sad to see it go. Tamako x Midori forever!

fertygo

[Martian Successor Nadesico] 1 - 8

I'm not entirely sure why this series is revered to the point where people still actually remember that it exists. This is not a series that has stood the test of the time although, frankly, I don't picture this being a particularly strong series when it came out. Sure, it's got a lot of 'ideas' and some of those are actually executed on fairly well but it's a very messy series that can't seem to get a handle on what it wants to be.

Which that I mean to say Hitokage is right, again. I can safely say that this shouldn't even be thought about in the same breath as other science fiction classics like Banner/Crest of the Stars.

Hmm, I guess that sounds rather harsh their you have it. The speed in which this devolved into a hare, (although it didn't start of great) is fairly trying. I guess this show is for you if you like girls with big chests.
Another mech show that look better in SRW than in actual show,

Dresden

tamako market:

Hey, she gets it right back and even as a gift the gift is refused.

---

Giving this a bit more thought than my brief impression--the main flaw with the prince/dera story is that the alternative to staying at home is so terrible, it's never a choice in the first place.

I think it could be 'saved' by having
Dera leave as he intended, instead of boxing him right back into Tamako's arms.
There has to be a cost. A choice has no weight when there are no consequences.

Time for Tamako Market ♪♪. 3-minute episodes, kyoani.

Straight Title Robot Anime 8
tumblr_mkcjoetFFD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Fuji got a Mori for Mori. Was funny. The Crossdressing Comandos was fairly hilarious, I think the spinning baseball bat one was also one of the best ones in the series from a previous episodes. I wonder what other simulations they have planned. Their personalities with the end images would make for an interesting serious themed mech anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom