• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It felt like when you are watching Digimon Adventure for the first time and then BAM!, Mamoru Hosoda out of nowhere. So good.

I should really tackle the Digimon franchise some time this year. Maybe if I can get a Digimon fan to watch the entire Indigo League of Pokemon in exchange :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Ponypocalypse has reached Japan. Not even Hosoda will be able to withstand it.
I should really tackle the Digimon franchise some time this year. Maybe if I can get a Digimon fan to watch the entire Indigo League of Pokemon in exchange :lol:
Digimon Adventure is about ten times better than any season of Pokémon.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah. I haven't watched any of that one, but I do know it's set in the future and has motorcycles. I'd like to get the Wii 5D's themed futuristic racing game sometime, I like that genre...

What if I told you that I actually owned that game?
and that I've never played it so I don't know if it's bad or not

I would actually recommend 5D's if you at least liked the original Duel Monsters. Granted, I don't know how it is after episode 50 or so because (spoilz)
they killed off my waifu. TWICE. and I ragequit years ago
but the couple of seasons I watched were an entertaining mix of dystopian futurism, ancient conspiracy, and good old card games on motorcycles. It's more serious than GX and (presumably) ZeXal.

Digimon Adventure is about ten times better than any season of Pokémon.

idunno, Indigo League is still pretty damned entertaining to me and it's not just the nostalgia talking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't say it was bad! Just turned out to be unpopular :lol

I dropped it after 5 eps or so. I didn't like where it was heading so I stopped watching.
It wasn't bad but you dropped it? lol

[Chihayafuru 2] 10

Screw the Taichi vs Arata wars. It is all about Shinobu vs Chihaya... and I'm on Team Queen.
You realize what show you're watching, right? I bet none of the characters talk to each other outside of this tournament. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Charizard bailing out on a knockout match. Fuck that shit.

Seismic Toss so powerful he plunged Magmar into a volcano with a throw with the inertia of flying around the entire fucking earth behind it. All of his other bullshit gets a free pass just for this.

CorvoSol

Charizard is such a baller that he lasted more than ten seconds against one of Mewtwo's Pokemon. Blastoise and Venusaur, on the other hand . . .

GaoGaiGar 34

HO MAN I cannot BELIEVE how much I like this show now. I mean, it was never bad, but I never expected myself to really care about the Ultimate Brave Robot Brigade as much as I do. Each one of them has more personality than the whole cast of the last two Gundam shows I watched combined. Their return in this episode was definitely a hype moment.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Seismic Toss so powerful he plunged Magmar into a volcano with a throw with the inertia of flying around the entire fucking earth behind it. All of his other bullshit gets a free pass just for this.
So what you are telling me is that the only reason Ash got anywhere in the first season was dumb luck? Why, yes, well fuck you too , writers, for making me waste my time with such a shitty protagonist.

Thankfully he gets better.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So what you are telling me is that the only reason Ash got anywhere in the first season was dumb luck? Why, yes, well fuck you too writers thanks for making me waste my time with such a shitty protagonist. Thankfully he gets better.

Wait, you just used one of his legitimate gym wins as a springboard for complaining about the illegitimate gym wins? :lol

cajunator

Banned
I should really tackle the Digimon franchise some time this year. Maybe if I can get a Digimon fan to watch the entire Indigo League of Pokemon in exchange :lol

Watch Digimon Savers for all that SHOUNEN HATTO.

I would actually recommend 5D's if you at least liked the original Duel Monsters. Granted, I don't know how it is after episode 50 or so because (spoilz)
they killed off my waifu. TWICE. and I ragequit years ago
but the couple of seasons I watched were an entertaining mix of dystopian futurism, ancient conspiracy, and good old card games on motorcycles. It's more serious than GX and (presumably) ZeXal.

Anything is more serious than ZeXal when the main character can't even duel properly.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wait, you just used one of his legitimate gym wins as a springboard for complaining about the illegitimate gym wins? :lol
Ash beat Blaine because Charizard was haxx0r, not because the dweeb was anything close to a decent Pokémon trainer. His only legitimate Gym victory in season one had to be vs Koga aka the lamest of all Gym leaders.

Ash beat Blaine because Charizard was haxx0r, not because the dweeb was anything close to a decent Pokémon trainer. His only legitimate Gym victory in season one had to be vs Koga aka the lamest of all Gym leaders.

So lame he got promoted into an Elite Four member!

Don't forget that Team Rocket also interfered with the match. Their interference allowed Ash to go from a 2 vs. 1 battle to a 1 vs. 1 battle.

Milamber

GJ-Bu 12 [END]

in3iYAZCRhhVO.png

Soma

Girls und Panzer 11 & 12

Ah man. What a great finale to this show. I had a stupidly huge grin on my face for most of the last episode.

Hands down the biggest surprise of Fall 2012.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The heart of the cards does all the talking that's needed.
They're all love poems after all!
(UtaKoi had more romance than this show!)

GJ-bu 12

http://i.imgur.com/Q74VAItl.jpg

That was a pretty good last episode. Actually focused for once with all the stories actually related to something instead of being all over the place. I really liked the character development and the graduation ceremony was pretty nice as well.

This was definitely a show that started out terribly and dull and actually managed to become entertaining mid-way through instead of the reverse. The addition of characters helped, the upgrade in the jokes and probably the establishment of the existing characters all helped. And to think I was wanting to drop this around episode 3.

GJ-bu 12 (END)
Another one of those lighthearted shows that I can just relax to. Often dull, but this show has its moments of complete yet subtle absurdity that I couldn't help but laugh at. Kyoro being spineless yet still sort not afraid to speak his mind, and every girl taking advantage of that was a major factor in the comedy of the show and it worked unlike something Seitokai no Ichizon. Would probably watch again sometime in the not-so-distant future.

I still don't know how I feel about this show, and I'm kind of surprised they time skipped so much to the point where they basically just wrapped up the show and precluded any sequel. But hey, why fuck around if you know you probably aren't going to get another shot at this anyway? Go for the easy series finale.

What's doubly weird is that Seitokai no Ichizon ends pretty much exactly the same way, with graduations and so forth, which is really apropos of nothing other than the fact that it's another one of these aimless comedies that went for the same conclusion. lol

But hey, at least it wasn't Haganai? lol

What's doubly weird is that Seitokai no Ichizon ends pretty much exactly the same way, with graduations and so forth, which is really apropos of nothing other than the fact that it's another one of these aimless comedies that went for the same conclusion. lol

But hey, at least it wasn't Haganai? lol

GJ-bu felt VERY similar to Ichizon. Really the only differences was the personality of the main character and that Ichizon had some unnecessary drama nonsense that was completely out of place and awful.

Detective Conan 162:
My ongoing quest through the Conan anime gets me to Shinichi's first case, and the filler hell is over (for now).

This is a great case. Like, I had forgotten just how much I loved this case. It's great to see Shinichi slightly younger and not being the god of Detectives we know him as. His interactions with Megure and Takagi were gold. The underlying case was great, with a really well done twist that causes everything to turn on its head. One of those cases in Conan that just manages to execute perfectly on every level.

This statement is false.
Not because the Pokemon anime is any good, but because Digimon is just awful.

No. Just no.

Watch Digimon Savers for all that SHOUNEN HATTO.

Yes. Savers starts off slow, but it becomes godtier after around Episode 12 or so.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GJ-bu felt VERY similar to Ichizon. Really the only differences was the personality of the main character and that Ichizon had some unnecessary drama nonsense that was completely out of place and awful.
Well, yes, let's agree that Seitokai Yakuindomo was the best of these types of shows. lol

Ichizon's humour ranged for situational to meta, so in that respect it was much broader than just cute girls being cute and a boy being non-plussed over and over again. But yeah, the character drama was really weird... especially since you get the impression that once they solved the gimmick of why the guy wants a harem, they really had no idea how to resolve it other than by getting rid of all the female characters at the end of the series.

I want to say that it could have worked, but it was never really strong enough in either front to make it all that meaningful.

CorvoSol

The Johto Elite Four with illegal Dragonites, you mean? So not only is he lame, he also hangs out with cheaters like Lance.

Lance is the best champion of all. He even has a Charizard to prove it.

Mobile Fighter God Gundam 34

AWW YEAH MOTHER LOVING SCHWARZ BRUDER. GERMAN NINJA WITH A PHD IN WHUP ASS.
Seriously though, Allenby can go fall off a cliff. Not one thing I like about her at all. AT. ALL. Get that Magical Girl the hell out of my Man's Gundam show. In other news, Mr. Wong is a dirty cheater and not very good at it, either. A giant magnet is your trump card? LAME. Master Asia, for a guy who was trying to kill Domon not long ago, looked pretty proud that Domon survived the match.

I still don't know how I feel about this show, and I'm kind of surprised they time skipped so much to the point where they basically just wrapped up the show and precluded any sequel.

You could do a sequel with the imoutos joining the club along with the remaining three members.
Not that that would happen.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
He beat Blaine because Charizard was haxx0r, not because Ash was anything close to a decent Pokémon trainer. His only legitimate Gym victory in season one was against Koga.

Pokemon is no different from virtually any other anime adapted from JRPGs that cut the mechanics out and expect the viewer to just implicitly accept that the characters are becoming stronger as the story progresses. There's no elegant way to represent grinding.

Charizard being haxx0r was his entire shtick, anyway. That battle was the ultimate release for everyone who had been waiting and waiting and waiting for him to stop being such a lazy ass and use his true power for once. 100% legitimate gym battle, just executed in a really fanservicey way.

Conan-san

That entire league was disgraced by the lack of any concern regarding it's participants, I mean come on, if the dood came in a fucking hot air balloon, I'd at least call a five minute recess to figure out the fuck was going on and maybe postpone the match until tomorrow if it turned out the universe equivalent of COBRA were abducting contestants.

The indigo league is a sham.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That entire league was disgraced by the lack of any concern regarding it's participants, I mean come on, if the dood came in a fucking hot air balloon, I'd at least call a five minute recess to figure out the fuck was going on and maybe postpone the match until tomorrow if it turned out the universe equivalent of COBRA were abducting contestants.

The indigo league is a sham.

If safety was ever a real concern, Ash would have been pecked to death by a flock of Spearows in the very first episode.

Conan-san

If safety was ever a real concern, Ash would have been pecked to death by a flock of Spearows in the very first episode.

The incidents that happen in the wild is one thing, nature is nature, what happens in an internationally recognised sporting tournament is quite the other.

Lemme put it this way, I would have Harriet Jones, Prime Minister for the UK'd any Team Rocket operative that dained to even look in the direction of the Indigo Plateau and when a competitor has to make his entrance via hot air balloon and Pigioto, then I'd start answering questions.

I would also, however, not be an old man in a Hawaiai Shirt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You could do a sequel with the imoutos joining the club along with the remaining three members.
Not that that would happen.
I can't imagine the show being a 10k+ seller anyway. :p

Otona Joshi no Anime Time-Yuuge

This made me really hungry. Where is my married housewife to cook my meals.
Start going through her trash!

---

Ginga e Kickoff 37
Given how this match played out and how the episode ended, I would have been okay if it just ended here. The next episode looks to be quite ridiculous anyway. lol

duckroll

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1303/28/news085.html

Today Kadokawa Group Holdings announced that they will be absorbing their subsidiaries and restructuring the entire company as one corporate entity from October 1st. The existing individual companies will be dissolved and restructured as brand companies operating under a single corporate umbrella.

The affected companies are: Kadokawa Shoten, Ascii Media Works, Kadokawa Magazines, Media Factory, Enterbrain, Chuukei Shuppan, Fujimi Shobo, Kadokawa Gakugei Shuppan, Kadokawa Production.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articl...8/news085.html

Today Kadokawa Group Holdings announced that they will be absorbing their subsidiaries and restructuring the entire company as one corporate entity from October 1st. The existing individual companies will be dissolved and restructured as brand companies operating under a single corporate umbrella.

The affected companies are: Kadokawa Shoten, Ascii Media Works, Kadokawa Magazines, Media Factory, Enterbrain, Chuukei Shuppan, Fujimi Shobo, Kadokawa Gakugei Shuppan, Kadokawa Production.

Does this mean more "synergy" when managing new IPs? Or is this just a way to shuffle pieces around and kill little fiefdoms?

wonzo

Banned
Puchimas 63

puchimasu63.jpg

The face of realising this ends in one more episode.

Haitai Nanafa 8

RIP Haitai, you are not one for the garden.

duckroll

Does this mean more "synergy" when managing new IPs? Or is this just a way to shuffle pieces around and kill little fiefdoms?

Yes, it's a huge overhaul. It's not shuffling the pieces, because under the new "Kadokawa" company which will be running everything, there will be single overall divisions for IP management, overseaas licensing, sales and marketing, etc. The existing subsidiaries will effectively no longer exist as their own entities, and are simply consumer brands divided between "Media and Information" (Kadokawa Magazines and Enterbrain) and "Entertainment Contents" (all the other light novel and magazine publishers, and the anime production companies, etc).

Milamber

A much more truer media mix project will emerge.

Be ready to be inundated with more crap to follow your fave LN, manga or anime property. Good news is that this may make the westernization of their properties much easier.

zeroshiki

It wasn't bad but you dropped it? lol

Yes, just like you and the Tokyo Arc, there are certain things that are definite nos for me. This show had one of them :lol

Here's an example, there's a really popular drama called Last Friends. By all accounts its pretty good. It had good ratings and some serious dorama. The concept is about a girl who gets beat up by her boyfriend. I didn't watch it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, it's a huge overhaul. It's not shuffling the pieces, because under the new "Kadokawa" company which will be running everything, there will be single overall divisions for IP management, overseaas licensing, sales and marketing, etc. The existing subsidiaries will effectively no longer exist as their own entities, and are simply consumer brands divided between "Media and Information" (Kadokawa Magazines and Enterbrain) and "Entertainment Contents" (all the other light novel and magazine publishers, and the anime production companies, etc).
I wonder how many middle managers are crying right now. lol

I suppose this way they can actually leverage all aspects of the otaku-culture machine as efficiently as possible.

Yes, just like you and the Tokyo Arc, there are certain things that are definite nos for me. This show had one of them :lol

Here's an example, there's a really popular drama called Last Friends. By all accounts its pretty good. It had good ratings and some serious dorama. The concept is about a girl who gets beat up by her boyfriend. I didn't watch it.
I know that since this is jdrama, it would be melodramatic and angsty, but I kind of wish anime could go there without it being a special event or just plain creepy. lol

And hey, I finished HanaIro at least!
(Now I'm curious what happened in Biblia though :p)

zeroshiki

I know that since this is jdrama, it would be melodramatic and angsty, but I kind of wish anime could go there without it being a special event or just plain creepy. lol

And hey, I finished HanaIro at least!
(Now I'm curious what happened in Biblia though :p)

Because of how much anime is associated to creepy otaku culture, going there would just get it at best ignored or at worst reviled. Its not a pretty topic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because of how much anime is associated to creepy otaku culture, going there would just get it at best ignored or at worst reviled. Its not a pretty topic.

It's too bad. I'm not going to say that Otona Joshi no Anime Time is the best thing ever (other than the Yoshida episode), but the idea of animating stories about older women and perhaps for older women is an admirable one. I mean, I'm sure there are tons of similar stories in the jdrama world but it's like people who make anime don't even try.

Also, you didn't answer my question about Biblia! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom