• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - 01

rZrS4Um.png
1IuBBaS.png

#SWAG

*brings out notepad*

- Cool female lead? Check.

- Interesting support characters? Check.

- Yuri? Double check, with multiple lesbians and OTPs inbound. And from the looks of it, main lead Mikoto will have Madoka tier swag where all the ladies will want her. MARU!

- Lewd scenes? Check.

- Males? None, as of now the garden is secure.

============================================

That was an awesome first episode and hope to god it keeps up like this. With how much this episode delivered between awesome fight scenes and yuri pandering, I'm at a loss as to why I didn't see this show when it was airing. Knowing that I have 23 eps to go, on top of the new season that will be starting soon has me hyped as hell. Let's do this!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Space Brothers] 49
They could make the show a twenty-minute clip reel of Serika being all genki and crap and I would still tune in every week.

This arc has been amazing. All the cool things I like about Space Bros plus motherfucking rattlesnakes. Sweet!

Kagami

Chuu-ni-byou is term for "adolescent delusions". To directly translate the name of the anime, it means "Despite my adolescent delusions, I want to experience love"
I've never been a fan of using the word "delusion" for this, because "delusion" means actually believing in some false thing, whereas chuu2byou doesn't mean kids who literally believe in these fantasies, merely that they think all this "badass" juvenile stuff is cool, and in extreme cases assume everyone around them thinks it's cool, too, so you get the spontaneous LARPing thing. I guess you can call the latter part of thinking other people will appreciate it a delusion, but it's not like they actually think they have powers or something.

Or at least, that's how it's supposed to be. Rikka from the anime turned out to be different from the normal meaning of chuu2byou.

The second season isn't nearly as segmented. It also doesn't look like trash like the first did but it loses whatever charm that cheap look had, lol.

You mean the heads of the lil girls right? They look so kawai :p

Anyway I just started season 2, liking it much more than the first season. Perhaps unlike season 1 it provides explanation to what is happening.

cajunator

Banned
[Space Brothers] 49

They could make the show a twenty-minute clip reel of Serika being all genki and crap and I would still tune in every week.

This arc has been amazing. All the cool things I like about Space Bros plus motherfucking rattlesnakes. Sweet!

Oh god yes.
so would I!!!

Nafe

I bought all of them, but I'm embarrassed to admit I backlogged all but the first DS one, which is an RTS.
(Maybe I'll venture over to gaming side and join the backlog thread.)

http://i1.minus.com/ibaHcTmMrZx9eL.jpg http://i1.minus.com/ibg91RbRNj9CRw.jpg

http://i3.minus.com/ibzNe0YaXe8AGc.jpg http://i6.minus.com/iPAsIsU3o73qA.jpg
Strike Witches -Aozora no Dengekisen ~ Shintaichou Funtou Suru!-

It's not bad but really simple, mostly just telling them where to move and letting them auto-attack, usually with someone in front in defense-mode to block all incoming attacks.
(They have their respective unique magic abilities, but they use up HP so you don't use them much.) The weapon selection stuff is interesting if you're into WW2 guns, and you can do some amusing things like equip Barkhorn with two Fliegerhammers and then use her magic for double-firing.
My main complaint with it is that the characters don't have any conditional conversation during the battles. Like if a witch takes out a neuroi or takes damage or gets shot down (retreats) or anything, they have their own lines that they say but none of the other witches react or comment, so it's a little lifeless compared to what you'd expect from them. (Eila not reacting to Sanya getting hit feels strange.)
Of course there's scripted story parts separate from that.

Okay. Thanks for the reply Kagami.

How connected is Railgun to Index? Does it work completely standalone? Touma's awfulness prevented me from stomaching more than a few episodes of Index.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How connected is Railgun to Index? Touma's awfulness prevented me from stomaching more than a few episodes of Index.

Same universe, different characters. Focuses on Railgun and her lesbian friends.

Kagami

How connected is Railgun to Index? Does it work completely standalone? Touma's awfulness prevented me from stomaching more than a few episodes of Index.

I dropped the first season of Index halfway through and never looked back, but still enjoyed Railgun without any trouble.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

*brings out notepad*

- Yuri? Double check, with multiple lesbians and OTPs inbound. And from the looks of it, main lead Mikoto will have Madoka tier swag where all the ladies will want her. MARU!

- Lewd scenes? Check.

Yep.

Railgun is great. It's cute girls doing cute things with some neat fights and a true garden of yuri.

Just beware there is a certain man who threatens to tear down the garden :(

kpjolee

I've never been a fan of using the word "delusion" for this, because "delusion" means actually believing in some false thing, whereas chuu2byou doesn't mean kids who literally believe in these fantasies, merely that they think all this "badass" juvenile stuff is cool, and in extreme cases assume everyone around them thinks it's cool, too, so you get the spontaneous LARPing thing. I guess you can call the latter part of thinking other people will appreciate it a delusion, but it's not like they actually think they have powers or something.

Or at least, that's how it's supposed to be. Rikka from the anime turned out to be different from the normal meaning of chuu2byou.

I know what Chuu2byou is but it is impossible to directly translate into English word. "Adolescent Delusion" is not entirely accurate, but gives some idea about what it actually means without going into long details about what it actually is.
I prefer Korean subtitles instead of English subtitles because of the reason above.

cajunator

Banned
Kaitou Reinya 07

The red string of fate doesn't lie.

This show has a cute art style that reminds me of Warioware a little bit.

*brings out notepad*

- Lewd scenes? Check.

That was an awesome first episode and hope to god it keeps up like this. With how much this episode delivered between awesome fight scenes and yuri pandering, I'm at a loss as to why I didn't see this show when it was airing. Knowing that I have 23 eps to go, on top of the new season that will be starting soon has me hyped as hell. Let's do this!

Oh my. I think you will LOVE Railgun. There is a man, but don't worry too much about him.

Railgun is connected to Index, Touma does appear in Railgun, and yes, as in Index Misaka is in tsundere love with Touma, and does not return Kuroko's affections in the slightest.

The episode (of Railgun) where Touma saves Misaka and she tries to attack him but of course it doesn't work and we see that really she's just tsun for him was when I knew that no, this show would not be worth continuing with.

I mean, I hadn't been thinking it was much above mediocre up to that point, but with that... forget it. I did watch a few more episodes, but dropped it once it got serious (the arc where one of the friends gets some bad friends etc.). I wouldn't have lasted much longer even without that, though. Touma may not appear most of the time, but even just a few appearances of that idiot was more than I'd have ever wanted.

*brings out notepad*

- Lewd scenes? Check.

As I said above, no, it doesn't keep up with that. Misaka is a definite heterosexual and likes a brain-dead harem-lead idiot who does appear in a few episodes, and rescues her of course. Sure, the rest of the time the show is sometimes decent... but overall, I did not like Railgun very much. It is better than Index, certainly, but that doesn't make it good...

That's called removing of filler ..think of a rpg adapted in anime but without grinding & fetchquests .. They didn't do a full 1:1 adaptation of the game , they kept the plot and removed the excess fat.

I don't think people would care to see them fight generic ennemy #1351435 or civilian #1315.
Cutting the useless stuff was the right decision
That is true, no anime, film, or even book would work well at all if it was paced like a videogame, where most of the time was spent with the character beating up random baddies... :)

CorvoSol

I've had a change of heart and made myself a deal. I will finish Gundam 00, but in return I'm rewatching FMP, even though it hasn't been more than four months tops. I reconcile this as being for science.

GJ-bu 12

Q74VAItl.jpg

That was a pretty good last episode. Actually focused for once with all the stories actually related to something instead of being all over the place. I really liked the character development and the graduation ceremony was pretty nice as well.

This was definitely a show that started out terribly and dull and actually managed to become entertaining mid-way through instead of the reverse. The addition of characters helped, the upgrade in the jokes and probably the establishment of the existing characters all helped. And to think I was wanting to drop this around episode 3.

CorvoSol

GTO 34

TOMOKO FOR BEST GIRL. This was some crazy surreal episode here. First, Tomoko seems to have been intimidated into posing for illicit photographs of a minor. Then, Onizuka's so-called friend, Sai Jima gets him caught up in a gold heist. Then the Yakuza are involved and there are attempted escapes from Japan and multiple levels of Yakuza reality and pranks and in the end, nobody knows what is happs anymore.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Futari wa Precure] 08
I'm happily surprised. While it still had moments of comedy, this episode of Futari wa was more interested in examining Honoka's and Nagisa's budding friendship, resulting in a more subdued experience. This was thanks to a direction style unlike anything else I've seen in the show so far, making great use of lighting and in general some very clever jokes (I loved the bit with
Nagisa's brother's mood changing depending on the manga he was reading, perfectly encapsulating the fickleness of teenage fights and the simplicity of the reconciliation
). The focus was so that even the Monster of the Week shenanigans felt like an afterthought, getting done with in a shorter time than usual --but, unlike a similar episode in Smile Precure!, the writers here used the event as an excuse to further signal just how alike are both Cures in their differences.

Suffice it to say that this was the first genuinely great episode of Futari wa Precure and that I would recommend it even to people not familiar or interested in the franchise. A quick look at ANN tells me that director here was Takuya Igarashi, better known for working on such shows as Ojamajo Doremi, Star Driver, and Ouran High School Host Club, but who I've also seen plenty of in Goldfish Warning! and Sailor Moon. In fact, and I admit this may just be me fanwanking, but some of the bits of photography in here felt very Ikuharaesque, down to excellent use of far shots to establish mood and the aforementioned sequences with utilising seemingly unrelated elements of the scenery to comment on the narrative, a trait he no doubt picked when working with the man.

Staff whoring is fun!

Does that mean you find Chet adorable?
I wouldn't find myself adorable at all.
With the picture there, would that be more :Chet or :SDBurton? Since it's kind of both maybe we need a :ChetBurton?
:ChetBurton? That sounds pretty :dtl
Not that I hate it, but lines must be drawn.
A girl who likes boobs is already :SDBurton, no need to make it redundant!
But what if a girl only likes her own boobs? No :SDBurton there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
[Futari wa Precure] 08

Yeah, this is one of the few legitimately great episodes in the show. You'll hit a couple of others later in the season with clearly superior direction, but this one might be the best. There's only one more for which the argument could be made, and you'll know it when you see it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah, this is one of the few legitimately great episodes in the show. You'll hit a couple of others later in the season with clearly superior direction, but this one might be the best. There's only one more for which the argument could be made, and you'll know it when you see it.
It felt like when you are watching Digimon Adventure for the first time and then BAM!, Mamoru Hosoda out of nowhere. So good.

It's not really mood whiplash, its the entire point of the show.

Nadesico is a show thats both self deprecating and completely serious at the same time. It's a mecha/scifi type of show that is both serious and yet the greatest in comedy - an absolutely hilarious parody of oh so many tropes in the genre yet being one it of itself at the same time. It's a mockery to the entire genre, really to the traditional notion of what an anime has to be about and thats why its so brilliant.

I've never watched a show thats quite like Nadesico. The closest is something like Irresponsible Captain Tylor but it doesn't have the same level of charm.
Whether or not it's the point of the show, it's definitely mood whiplash. Nadesico's one of the best examples of that I've seen in anime, and it goes way too far with it to make any sense. It's trying to be everything at once, and like usual, that doesn't work.

Yeah, exactly. Nadesico is a show that manages to parody all of the ridiculousness of mecha anime, while also telling a serious plot which subverts the typical tropes of the genre. It does a brilliant job at making fun of all of the characters and their ridiculous and contrived situations, and then in the next moment has you feeling all of their emotions and taking everything seriously.

It's also a rare example of an anime which can actually be called post-modern in a legitimate usage of the term (as opposed to many other times in which that phrase is thrown around incorrectly to anything that's slightly different), and wants to reexamine the relationship between the form and function of a story, and interact with its audience in a more meaningful way than simply conveying a story.
You're not really subverting tropes when you're using them half of the time with all seriousness, and then other times laughing at them. That's just, well, as I said, mood-whiplash material, not anything so great.

And seriously, just because it sometimes makes fun of the characters doesn't make up for the fact that most of them are so generic in the first place...

(Once again, I thought the part of Nadesico I watched was okay. But it's definitely not great, and it would be better with better characters and if they could decide what the show actually wanted to be, instead of trying to make it everything.)

Ugh, go away KyoAni, and come back when you're making something good again...

Ah. I haven't watched any of that one, but I do know it's set in the future and has motorcycles. I'd like to get the Wii 5D's themed futuristic racing game sometime, I like that genre...

What about Last Order?
She's so great that she
likes a guy who murdered 10,000+ of her sister-clones.
Yeah, forget Last Order. (And on that note, Accelerator should either be in jail forever or worse. But I don't want to talk about Index, that story is so atrociously bad that it's not worth further discussion.)

I can already see SDBurton's rage coming when
Tooooo-ma
shows up. RIP The Garden.
Well, he can't say he wasn't warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom