• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Rain's nice and all, but she wishes she could be as awesome as Allenby is.

Allenby is a chump. Rain looks great in a Mobile Trace Suit, and doesn't need silly blue hair to stand out.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1

You know your Gundam series is off to a good start when the main character gets slapped in the first ten minutes. Char's disguise is paper thin. Kamile (this is gonna be like a Boy named Sue) is kind of an idiot, but he has like, 49 episodes to fix that, so I'm not gonna hold it to him. 25 episodes in if he hasn't changed we'll talk.

The mobile suits in this episode were sorta odd. They looked like Rik Doms, but weirder. Then again, 8 years down the road I guess that makes sense. Also I think Bright Noa was in the background of this episode for a moment. Which was odd. Oh, and how can the Black Gundams be Mk. II when there have been like, twenty different kinds of Gundam between 0079 and 0087?

zeroshiki

They don't really need Key; they have proven they can do just the same stuff by themselves with Chuu2 and make money.

Chuu2 didn't sell as well as the Key stuff so it remains to be seen whether its the Key name itself or its just a sign that Ishihara needs to turn up to Key-dorama upto 11 for S2.

Toriko 95 (FuniHulu)
tumblr_mkcopaqsQg1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Sweet Cheesy Rice, that was good. Ichiryu is way incredible. I hope we get way more sometime, though how uncreative that his abilities are just a rip of of Naruto's Pain...Midora is incredible too. Ready for whatever new ingredient were seeing.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strike Witches S2 - 12 [END]

Well that was quite the action packed finale. While it was their intention to make this season the last, I just hate it when
the main characters have to pay the ultimate price, whether that's dying or losing an ability or power that made them part of the team.
Knowing that
Miyafuji will never be able to fly again or be a part of the team (even though its now disbanded)
just sours what otherwise could've been an enjoyable ending. Not to mention the lack of
endgame yuri.
I mean, in a perfect ending, Miyafuji would be
studying medicine (magical in this case as she wouldn't have lost her power) at a magic school in Lynnette's hometown that way she could remain with her love.
Nope, its back to the boonies with generic friend #1. Screw that, I'll make up the last 5 mins of the ending in my head instead.

7/10

Now, onto Railgun Season 1!

Strike Witches S2 - 12 [END]

Well that was quite the action packed finale. While it was their intention to make this season the last, I just hate it when
the main characters have to pay the ultimate price, whether that's dying or losing an ability or power that made them part of the team.
Knowing that
Miyafuji will never be able to fly again or be a part of the team (even though its now disbanded)
just sours what otherwise could've been an enjoyable ending. Not to mention the lack of
endgame yuri.
I mean, in a perfect ending, Miyafuji would be
studying medicine (magical in this case as she wouldn't have lost her power) at a magic school in Lynnette's hometown that way she could remain with her love.
Nope, its back to the boonies with generic friend #1. Screw that, I'll make up the last 5 mins of the ending in my head instead.

It ain't ended yet, ya still gotta watch the movie when you get the chance.

Really, it's so close to the game plots that you'd say it's the same thing? It's not just like a game though, obviously things have been changed... just like how the manga and anime are not identical either.
Every game to anime adaptation must change some thing for the sake of adaptation.
The main plot seem the same to me. even if we missed a scene where asuka & homura declare open but healthy rivalery.
They also changed some character pasts ( for example : hikage )

Do Haruka and Hibari have tragic pasts? If they do, I don't remember them. And Katsuragi... I don't remember her having too sad a background... It is true that Yagyuu, Ikaruga, and the four other Snake Girls team members do have tragic pasts, though.
Indeed hibari has a clean past.

Haruka however ...
her familly broke up since her father didn't care about his familly at all despite them being wealthy ( or is it because ? ), her mother started to dress her as a doll , and she almost broke to the point that she nearly put fire in her own home ( attempted suicide ? )

Katsuragi
was from a ninja familly and bost her parents failed a very important mission and she lost them as a result. Not only she lost her parents but she was scorned for a long time untill she decided to be the strongest and restore her familly name in the light faction.

When you compare , asuka and her fear of frogs is really lucky.

As for Asuka though, as I said I think that the issue is that she has a bit less character than most of the others. She's got a bit too much "generic lead" in her, but then she only rarely actually leads, so it just leads to her receding into the background in a show where she's the supposed main character. This isn't bad, because I like that the show instead focuses on all of the girls, but it does lead to Asuka being maybe a bit less interesting than the others of the good team. It's more like the girls are all on par, but when they reach the end of some key stories, it's Asuka who gets to do stuff because she's the "main character" in those moments. So yeah, she's okay, but maybe I wish she had a bit more character. I do like how she improves the most over the course of the season, though... there's a huge difference in her ability, comparing the first and last episodes!

Asuka does grow during this season but she has still untapped potential :) ..Can't wait ...
Asuka is more the driving force of the group rather than being a leader ( ikaruga does get that role ) it's a nice setup and i like it. Besides she will get more attention and focus later thanks to hanzo.

Every game to anime adaptation must change some thing for the sake of adaptation.
The main plot seem the same to me. even if we missed a scene where asuka & homura declare open but healthy rivalery.
They also changed some character pasts ( for example : hikage )
As I can't read Japanese I don't know the game stories, but I'm sure they changed things. I mean, in a game you spend a lot of your time fighting normal baddies, while the anime skips most of that stuff and goes straight to the "bossfights"... and as far as story goes, the pacing and presentation styles of anime and videogames are not the same. The main plot is similar, though, sure, but it's not the same version of the story.

Indeed hibari has a clean past.
Yeah, I didn't remember her having any kind of tragic background.

Haruka however ...
her familly broke up since her father didn't care about his familly at all despite them being wealthy ( or is it because ? ), her mother started to dress her as a doll , and she almost broke to the point that she nearly put fire in her own home ( attempted suicide ? )
Oh right, that was in the anime, I'd just forgotten.

Katsuragi
was from a ninja familly and bost her parents failed a very important mission and she lost them as a result. Not only she lost her parents but she was scorned for a long time untill she decided to be the strongest and restore her familly name in the light faction.
I don't remember this one, though... I remember her wanting to be the strongest, but not those details.

When you compare , asuka and her fear of frogs is really lucky.
Yeah, Asuka and Hibari are definitely the lucky ones.

Asuka does grow during this season but she has still untapped potential :) ..Can't wait ...
Asuka is more the driving force of the group rather than being a leader ( ikaruga does get that role ) it's a nice setup and i like it. Besides she will get more attention and focus later thanks to hanzo.[/QUOTE]
"Leader" characters... I often find them less interesting, I think. Like, Leonardo is my third favorite Ninja Turtle (only Raphael ranks lower), and in the cartoon Teen Titans series Robin was my least favorite character... but yeah, my issue with Asuka is more that she seems like the "leader" type, but doesn't actually lead, so what is she? She's just a weaker ninja who's there because of her family connection and wins a few things with her main character powers or something, until finally near the end of the series she gets more competent. You're right though, Ikaruga is more of the leader.

Shergal

Hyouka 21 (Rewatch)
Best episode or bestest episode?

It's funny how all the talk about Chuu2 and its dull characters contrasts with the great cast of Hyouka. They're all layered, realistic and flawed in a way that makes for their continued interactions and development over time really pleasant to follow. One might leave this episode thinking that Satoshi is just an asshole, but at the end it's hard to dislike him, or any other of the four.

This is such a great episode because the stakes are raised by ten-fold, and the tension is pulled off perfectly. Not only that, the various moods that the episode transits are logical and organic, and don't obstruct each other or the result as a whole. From the anticipation to Satoshi receiving the chocolate, to the lovey-dovey moment between the two leads, to the mood at the end that ends the episode on the perfect bittersweet note. It's a testament to what Hyouka does best, and serves to elevate the show beyond what it would've been without an event like this.

The gradual change in the characters' interactions and personalities is at the forefront in the episode, not only with Satoshi's monologue and Oreki's proactiveness, but even in little details like the snappy joke he makes here:
I can't imagine the Oreki from episode 1 cracking a face like that, speaking with that tone of voice and making that comment to Chitanda. Can I imagine the Oreki of, say, episode 7 doing it? Maybe. The Oreki of episode 18? Probably. But I can't pinpoint a moment when he "changes" and gets his token marker of growth. There are no triggers dictating the personalities of the cast; just their interactions, gradually making them closer and more open, and at the same time changing the ways they look at life and themselves.
And from time to time, you can see a culminating moment where those little changes add up to make a difference, like the call Satoshi makes at the end.

It's interesting how Mayaka's strong personality is the catalyst of a chain of developments that end up going full circle to reward her. Her promise to craft a masterpiece of chocolate, and more importantly the fact that she fulfils it with great passion, put Satoshi on the edge, forcing him to make a total dick move and having to face his best friend, and himself, about it. Eventually this reconsideration, and Oreki's little push (which can only happen due to his own character arc, and the prior events of the day with Chitanda) lead Satoshi to face Mayaka properly at the end of the episode. The interplay between the characters and the effect they have on each other is at full display, and it's what makes the cast so lovely for me.

But of course, the strongest point in this series is how all of this is depicted with masterful skill. I have to praise the two teams from Animation DO for putting out a stellar performance. They really stole the show with their episodes. Hiroko Utsumi directed 21, and Miku Kadowaki was the animation supervisor. Needles to say, this is one of the better crafted and most expressive episodes on the whole run. The emotional range that the characters exhibit here comes through in their acting and expressions, and in the great drawings that appeared. Particularly, the scene at the beginning where Mayaka confronts Satoshi, and the Chitanda breakdown at the club are intense, due to how the quick-cutting in the storyboard is complemented by the detailed layouts and nuanced animation. The sequence with Chitanda is particularly well done, with some unusual timing for Kyoani and a particular brand of expression I don't see very often. I have to wonder who animated it, because he/she is really something.

Last but not least, the colour design and art direction are top-notch as always. The snowflakes! They were all distinct and well-defined!
The sense of winter really comes through in the characters' breath, the slightly frozen windows and the very cold and subdued colour palette. Kyoani really have a knack for playing up aspects of every season, they always do it in their shows at some point.
The winter set-up that can be viewed at every moment on the screen accentuates the developments in the episode with its moody atmosphere, perfect for drawn-out confrontations and drama. That's the way you do it!

As I can't read Japanese I don't know the game stories, but I'm sure they changed things. I mean, in a game you spend a lot of your time fighting normal baddies, while the anime skips most of that stuff and goes straight to the "bossfights"... and as far as story goes, the pacing and presentation styles of anime and videogames are not the same. The main plot is similar, though, sure, but it's not the same version of the story.

That's called removing of filler ..think of a rpg adapted in anime but without grinding & fetchquests .. They didn't do a full 1:1 adaptation of the game , they kept the plot and removed the excess fat.

I don't think people would care to see them fight generic ennemy #1351435 or civilian #1315.
Cutting the useless stuff was the right decision

Syrinx

Disease/sickness.

I think it's something like:

chuu = chuugakusei = junior high school
ni = two (second year of junior high school)
byou = sickness.
So it's about a girl who's sick of being in her second year of junior high? Coming of age of sorts? Though the cold reception to it here leads me to believe it's not that deep.

kpjolee

So it's about a girl who's sick of being in her second year of junior high? Coming of age of sorts? Though the cold reception to it here leads me to believe it's not that deep.

Chuu-ni-byou is term for "adolescent delusions". To directly translate the name of the anime, it means "Despite my adolescent delusions, I want to experience love"

ARE YOU SERIOUS . GIF

It's a disease that affect male and females and their refusal to let go of their child dream state once they grow up.

Syrinx

Chuu-ni-byou is term for "adolescent delusions". To directly translate the name of the anime, it means "Despite my adolescent delusions, I want to experience love"
Oh okay. Thanks for the help (you too mad Pierrot).

Kinda a wasted discussion though, as I'm not particularly interested in it.

Tamako Market 12 (end)
tumblr_mkcp8xrZk11rvbl4vo5_250.gif

Really not good final episode. The 13 minute mark was quite infuriating and completely leaves the whole anime feeling quite terrible.
Surprise, Tamako is not a bride candidate, your whole one year was a complete waste of time, pack it up time to leave...why?
. It makes it feel as if the past twelve weeks have been all for naught. It is easily on the list of the top bad things any anime can do for an ending episode and just reconfirms my thoughts that only a few writers can effectively write endings for fiction.

Unlike last season where my random anime pick of the season ended up being Sakurasou and Chu2byo, anime that were phenomenal, and somewhat decent, respectively, this random pick of Tamako Market was just a terrible choice, and to me has literally no plot, or one that was hard to identify, too many characters in their own themes, and just felt unfocused. The lack of memorable music didnt help. 2 / 10, I guess, just for the sake of Mechya even if he had a really limited role, and Mochizou Ooji, though whom had episodes in which he had less than thirty seconds of screentime...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Chihayafuru 2] 10
Screw the Taichi vs Arata wars. It is all about Shinobu vs Chihaya... and I'm on Team Queen.
I figured it was nia because of the hair flower thing, but something about it didnt look right.
The joke is that both Nia and Nono have the same voice actress, Yukari Fukui. She's also Terra in the Japanese versions of Dissidia.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

"Fourteen-year-old disease". Implication that kids go through a stage in early adolescence where they experience delusions of grandeur and act out the stupid shit they see on TV/in manga/etc.

So basically yeah, weeb LARPing.

It's about TeamCG.

lol

kpjolee

GJ-bu 12 END

This wasn't even on my list. But for some reason, this took over as top of my Wednesday list over Tamako Market. I enjoyed this better than Seitokai no Ichizon.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 1

You know your Gundam series is off to a good start when the main character gets slapped in the first ten minutes. Char's disguise is paper thin. Kamile (this is gonna be like a Boy named Sue) is kind of an idiot, but he has like, 49 episodes to fix that, so I'm not gonna hold it to him. 25 episodes in if he hasn't changed we'll talk.

The mobile suits in this episode were sorta odd. They looked like Rik Doms, but weirder. Then again, 8 years down the road I guess that makes sense. Also I think Bright Noa was in the background of this episode for a moment. Which was odd. Oh, and how can the Black Gundams be Mk. II when there have been like, twenty different kinds of Gundam between 0079 and 0087?

Well, the obvious reason is because at the time Zeta was made, none of those other Gundams existed yet. In universe, you could probably say that all the previous 'Gundams' were basically just iterative versions of the RX-79, whereas the Mk. II was something completely new.

Mature

Are there any good online anime shops outside of Rightstuf and Amazon? I recently realized I don't use any outside of those two... nor know of any really.

Kagami

Has anyone played any of the Strike Witches video games? How about the horizontal shooter one, is it fun?
I bought all of them, but I'm embarrassed to admit I backlogged all but the first DS one, which is an RTS.
(Maybe I'll venture over to gaming side and join the backlog thread.)

ibaHcTmMrZx9eL.jpg
ibg91RbRNj9CRw.jpg

ibzNe0YaXe8AGc.jpg
iPAsIsU3o73qA.jpg

Strike Witches -Aozora no Dengekisen ~ Shintaichou Funtou Suru!-

It's not bad but really simple, mostly just telling them where to move and letting them auto-attack, usually with someone in front in defense-mode to block all incoming attacks.
(They have their respective unique magic abilities, but they use up HP so you don't use them much.) The weapon selection stuff is interesting if you're into WW2 guns, and you can do some amusing things like equip Barkhorn with two Fliegerhammers and then use her magic for double-firing.
My main complaint with it is that the characters don't have any conditional conversation during the battles. Like if a witch takes out a neuroi or takes damage or gets shot down (retreats) or anything, they have their own lines that they say but none of the other witches react or comment, so it's a little lifeless compared to what you'd expect from them. (Eila not reacting to Sanya getting hit feels strange.)
Of course there's scripted story parts separate from that.

GJ-bu 12 (END)

Another one of those lighthearted shows that I can just relax to. Often dull, but this show has its moments of complete yet subtle absurdity that I couldn't help but laugh at. Kyoro being spineless yet still sort not afraid to speak his mind, and every girl taking advantage of that was a major factor in the comedy of the show and it worked unlike something Seitokai no Ichizon. Would probably watch again sometime in the not-so-distant future.

I bought all of them, but I'm embarrassed to admit I backlogged all but the first DS one, which is an RTS.
(Maybe I'll venture over to gaming side and join the backlog thread.)

Strike Witches -Aozora no Dengekisen ~ Shintaichou Funtou Suru!-

It's not bad but really simple, mostly just telling them where to move and letting them auto-attack, usually with someone in front in defense-mode to block all incoming attacks.
(They have their respective unique magic abilities, but they use up HP so you don't use them much.) The weapon selection stuff is interesting if you're into WW2 guns, and you can do some amusing things like equip Barkhorn with two Fliegerhammers and then use her magic for double-firing.
My main complaint with it is that the characters don't have any conditional conversation during the battles. Like if a witch takes out a neuroi or takes damage or gets shot down (retreats) or anything, they have their own lines that they say but none of the other witches react or comment, so it's a little lifeless compared to what you'd expect from them. (Eila not reacting to Sanya getting hit feels strange.)
Of course there's scripted story parts separate from that.

This makes me want something Fire Emblem-esque but with the SW franchise, which is unfortunately too good an idea for this awful world. It also wouldn't come here and I have no drive to learn another language. One can dream.

CorvoSol

Well, the obvious reason is because at the time Zeta was made, none of those other Gundams existed yet. In universe, you could probably say that all the previous 'Gundams' were basically just iterative versions of the RX-79, whereas the Mk. II was something completely new.

I know, but I mean, this is the problem with prequels. They always make stuff up that wonks up timelines. At least the Alex we can excuse as a prototype that never got off the ground, but the three Gundams in 0083 and that entire incident are kinda a big deal that will go completely unmentioned henceforth.

Which is for the best, given that show's quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom