• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

I'm fond of the show (and love the beginning and the end), but the middle episodes suffer horribly from all the dragged-out jokes. There just wasn't enough content there to fill a regular 23 minutes or w/e of airtime.

I can't really disagree there as it took me until now to finish it for those very reasons but going back to it now after all that time made the humor feel fresh again so I can't complain too much.

Jarmel

Banned
Also, I'm disappointed at the Gargantia haters here. All the decisions made in the show so far makes sense at their particular point of views and current understanding of the technology presented and their situations.

I disagree.
The conversation between Bellows and Ledo was bullshit. Bellows is making the point that having guns is a form of negotiation without the intent to kill, that's bullshit. First off the Gargantian's form of 'negotiation' is garbage because as seen last episode, it straight up failed. If Ledo wasn't there, Bellows and her crewmates would have been raped and then possibly murdered. It also failed in the fight this episode as well. The use of guns did nothing to scare anybody off. The Gargantians aren't operating from any position of power or leverage. If the pirates want to take all their shit, the pirates will do what they please. She also tries to make some stupid argument about how taking a life has to be justified. When Ledo points out that she has to kill to eat, she states that's enough to survive. So she establishes that killing for survival is ok.

Now if the Gargantians are used to rolling over then their whole stance of negotiations is contradictory.

In short, there is some bad writing somewhere.

Articalys

Okay, I could keep messing around with this, adding and removing questions trying to make the perfect survey, and it wouldn't get anywhere fast, so:

THE SECOND ANIMEGAF SURVEY -- ANIMEGAF THREAD ACTIVITY
(quote to see link)

As before, I'll be reposting the link every handful of hours to make sure that people in different time zones, on different schedules, etc. have a chance to see it. Let's give this one a couple more days than the last survey, so... until around Friday, I guess. I promise to be faster with the posting the results this time around too.

Milamber

Okay, I could keep messing around with this, adding and removing questions trying to make the perfect survey, and it wouldn't get anywhere fast, so:

(quote to see link)

As before I'll be reposting the link every handful of hours to make sure that people in different time zones, on different schedules, etc. have a chance to see it. Let's give this one a couple more days than the last survey, so... until around Friday, I guess. I promise to be faster with the posting the results this time around too.

Done.

Instro

I disagree.
The conversation between Bellows and Ledo was bullshit. Bellows is making the point that having guns is a form of negotiation without the intent to kill, that's bullshit. First off the Gargantian's form of 'negotiation' is garbage because as seen last episode, it straight up failed. If Ledo wasn't there, Bellows and her crewmates would have been raped and then possibly murdered. It also failed in the fight this episode as well. The use of guns did nothing to scare anybody off. The Gargantians aren't operating from any position of power or leverage. If the pirates want to take all their shit, the pirates will do what they please. She also tries to make some stupid argument about how taking a life has to be justified. When Ledo points out that she has to kill to eat, she states that's enough to survive. So she establishes that killing for survival is ok.

Now if the Gargantians are used to rolling over then their whole stance of negotiations is contradictory.

In short, there is some bad writing somewhere.

I don't really see why them having a possibly misguided point of view is chalked up to bad writing. The audience may disagree with the attempt at non-lethal defense, but that seems irrelevant to the writing quality. If anything the way the show laid out each sides beliefs and discussed them in a fairly clear manner was pretty nice.
It seems pretty straightforward to me. Their use of guns is largely a deterrent against normal pirate raids, they have little interest in killing people if at all possible. They appear to be well aware that this puts them in a poor position to deal with the pirates, but they choose the live that way regardless. They failed in the previous episode because Bellows was taken by surprise without the support of the fleet, its fair to say that they are generally able to deter normal pirate attacks unless the pirates join forces as they did in episode 3 which is noted by the commodore's advisers when they are surprised to see all the pirates in the nearby area. Pirates working together in large numbers is probably not a common occurrence. People complain about Amy or the crew not liking what Ledo did, but I don't think anyone wants to see murder on that massive of a scale regardless of the reasons for it.

Noirulus

(quote to see link)

As before, I'll be reposting the link every handful of hours to make sure that people in different time zones, on different schedules, etc. have a chance to see it. Let's give this one a couple more days than the last survey, so... until around Friday, I guess. I promise to be faster with the posting the results this time around too.

Filled it out. Thanks for organizing the survey.

Mature

iBYaVSkjvB7le.gif
Thanks! Gonna use this completely out of context to get people to watch Muromi.

Moonlight

Banned

(quote to see link)

Alright, filled it out. Should be interesting to see the results.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really see why them having a possibly misguided point of view is chalked up to bad writing. The audience may disagree with the attempt at non-lethal defense, but that seems irrelevant to the writing quality. If anything the way the show laid out each sides beliefs and discussed them in a fairly clear manner was pretty nice.
It seems pretty straightforward to me. Their use of guns is largely a deterrent against normal pirate raids, they have little interest in killing people if at all possible. They appear to be well aware that this puts them in a poor position to deal with the pirates, but they choose the live that way regardless. They failed in the previous episode because Bellows was taken by surprise without the support of the fleet, its fair to say that they are generally able to deter normal pirate attacks unless the pirates join forces as they did in episode 3 which is noted by the commodore's advisers when they are surprised to see all the pirates in the nearby area. Pirates working together in large numbers is probably not a common occurrence. People complain about Amy or the crew not liking what Ledo did, but I don't think anyone wants to see murder on that massive of a scale regardless of the reasons for it.

They're still in a weaker position than the pirates. The pirates, prior to Ledo coming, seem to be the top of the food chain. Instead of having what should be a submissive attitude, Bellows is instead rather confrontational. This wouldn't fit in with how that sort of structure should work as these fleets would be subservient to their pirate overlords. Now if there is a much larger 'official' military presence, that might change things.

wonzo

Banned
i think i'll wait for the survey of the survey of the survey

Ikeike! Momon-chan 13-15 END

ikeikemomon14.jpg

I don't really get how this is advertising a shopping market but I'd be damned if this wasn't entertaining as fuck. Will watch the next season of this when it start's next month.

also grown up momon > *

Shergal

(quote to see link)

Done. Nice work with this, going meta is always interesting. One suggestion: the use (or not) of extensions could have been addressed somewhere. The experience I have browsing this site in general changed enormously when I stopped doing it the vanilla way.

Milamber

I'm willing to bet there is some form of actual Port Nations in Gargantia, that all these scavenger/city fleets stem out from to build the world better.

Instro

They're still in a weaker position than the pirates. The pirates, prior to Ledo coming, seem to be the top of the food chain. Instead of having what should be a submissive attitude, Bellows is instead rather confrontational. This wouldn't fit in with how that sort of structure should work as these fleets would be subservient to their pirate overlords. Now if there is a much larger 'official' military presence, that might change things.

I don't think they would be subservient. A single fleet like Gargantia may be outmatched against a larger pirate force, but they are not a in a fixed position where they would be dealing with the same pirates constantly. Given the nature of how everyone is living, the pirates have no real way of controlling anyone so they are forced to raid when the opportunity arises.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

(quote to see link)

Done.

CorvoSol

i think i'll wait for the survey of the survey of the survey

Ikeike! Momon-chan 13-15 END

ikeikemomon14.jpg

I don't really get how this is advertising a shopping market but I'd be damned if this wasn't entertaining as fuck. Will watch the next season of this when it start's next month.

also grown up momon > *

For a minute I was like "Ike Ike Mormon-chan?" And then "An anime Book of Mormon would be the trippiest thing ever." In the Book of Mormon anime, Laman would be so tsundere to Nephi.

Then I realized it was Momon and my fun was over.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For a minute I was like "Ike Ike Mormon-chan?" And then "An anime Book of Mormon would be the trippiest thing ever." In the Book of Mormon anime, Laman would be so tsundere to Nephi.

Then I realized it was Momon and my fun was over.
It'd be like Kingdom 2, with a glorious animation error at the end of the Book of Ether.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does YUYUSHIKI have one otherwise I may be tempted to start one. How can OT resist a thread with the subtitle "Cute Girls Learning Cute Things"?

I'm having a :kayos moment, enlighten me.
I hate explaining jokes and it really is obvious.

*cough*<*cough*

CorvoSol

It'd be like Kingdom 2, with a glorious animation error at the end of the Book of Ether.

If it was rife with animation errors it would actually be even better. I watched some cartoon version of the Joseph Smith story when I was a teen, and the best part was that the animator could not decide how to keep Joseph Smith Sr.'s eyebrows.

Or it could be like the terrible rotoscoped Lord of the Rings where they couldn't decide to call him Aruman or Saruman, so they'd try and differentiate between the Nephis as Nephi and Ephi or something.

Actually, a really bad anime rendition of the Book of Mormon would be the greatest thing I ever watched.

Code Geass Rewatch 1

LOLOLOL. First episode has everything. EVERYTHING!!!!

Oh, are we supposed to start our Code Geass watchthroughs now?

Full Metal Panic! 23

This was a really cool episode, and not because its rife with artistically naked Kaname. There's a part, shortly after stealing the sub from Gauron, where he releases Tessa and she is sent flying backward, banging the back of her head against the wall, causing her head to snap upright, and her eyes are wide open and blood is running in a perfect triangle down her face. It's hard to describe, but its simultaneously badass and creepy as hell. The whole scene is just Tessa rocking out, though. Then there's the Mao vs Gwen sequence where Gwen does this hilarious reverse First Person Shooter weapon swap. And of course, Sousuke gets in the Arbalest for a fight with Gauron.

Much like the Arm Slaves themselves, this episode calls into question the exact dimensions of the Tuatha De Danaan herself. Of course, as previously mentioned, I'm at the point where I've decided that Mecha are like Wizards when it comes to sizes. They're never too large nor too small, they're precisely the size the mean to be.

And speaking of double entendres! There is a hilarious moment when Kaname, standing no more than half a foot a head of Sousuke, and slightly bent over as she opens the door to Lady Chapel, says of the Universal Key "It fits!" Subtle, but a double entendre nonetheless.

jgminto

Does YUYUSHIKI have one otherwise I may be tempted to start one. How can OT resist a thread with the subtitle "Cute Girls Learning Cute Things"?

I hate explaining jokes and it really is obvious.

*cough*<*cough*

umm...I'm thinking really hard right now.

Give me another hint.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If it was rife with animation errors it would actually be even better. I watched some cartoon version of the Joseph Smith story when I was a teen, and the best part was that the animator could not decide how to keep Joseph Smith Sr.'s eyebrows.

Or it could be like the terrible rotoscoped Lord of the Rings where they couldn't decide to call him Aruman or Saruman, so they'd try and differentiate between the Nephis as Nephi and Ephi or something.

Actually, a really bad anime rendition of the Book of Mormon would be the greatest thing I ever watched.
Damn it, now I'm thinking of how it would sound with a bad dub.

Masterphoenix

Neo Member

(quote to see link)

Done

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Code Geass Rewatch 2

Watching the first half of this was like watching Advance Wars. LOL. So funny. Then it changed to Fire Emblem. LOL. Still great fights all around. So good.

MikeMyers

DB GT

I wish the black star dragon balls saga didn't end, its so much better than Baby saga...

Aww poor Goku

I SHAVED OFF MY MOUSTACHE YOU IDIOT! Chichi still not knowing whats going on, and why the hell did Vegeta even have a moustache lol

I too like the beginning of GT better than the rest of the series. I think Funimation cut that saga out of the original broadcast, a shame.

Let's not forget about that Rap theme, gross man.

CorvoSol

if you ever get licensed to talk on HF lemme know.
I wonder how many ham radio operators are anime fans.

I have to find time to learn Morse, that's the problem. Speak two languages and I still can't figure out basic clicks and whirs.

This is the real ticket, Cajun. Why should we bother with an AnimeGAF podcast when we can have the AnimeGAF HAM radio net.

Imagine trying to talk :chet over the repeater.

cajunator

Banned
I have to find time to learn Morse, that's the problem. Speak two languages and I still can't figure out basic clicks and whirs.

This is the real ticket, Cajun. Why should we bother with an AnimeGAF podcast when we can have the AnimeGAF HAM radio net.

Imagine trying to talk :chet over the repeater.

.... -. -. -. --.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom