• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece 242 - 254
tumblr_mhflsouURO1rkemgdo2_250.jpg

Somehow I completely forgot or failed to remember any and all of these characters or even the flashback from the source (though thats probably on account of marathoning the whole manga during final exam week so long ago...), however, I think the whole arc is definitely still one of the best ones around. Flashback of Franky (awesome design in his younger days superior to current forms, excellent), was well done and rather compelling, and a few of the other things present there, Ora, CP5, and , World Gov't, combined with the suspense, drama, and a bit of super fun, will make it a bit unforgettable.

The present day stuff really does highlight Odas continuing flaw and surprisingly it is still present today as it was back then.
Luffy and crew getting obliterated there with Lucci and Kaku, what even? Zoro had tore his blades but then he was still thrown leagues out the window, then Luffy, couldnt land a single blow. And Sanji's just off somewhere, didnt quite understand why he wasnt present. The whole event would have worked far better if they had managed to at least damage someone present significantly, so as to not come across as that bad of losers.

Still, its been more entertaining, moving, and emotional than Skypeia, so I cant wait for the next volume.

Narag

Muromi 3

Three for three so far. Short format, good humor, and a dash of neat animation has left this my favorite of the season.

Hyouge Mono 2

I see what Hosanna meant about the musical direction. It’s just bizarre and ill fitting at times. It’s a hasty assertion to make too, given how little I’ve seen of either show, but this sort of reminds me of Saiunkoku Monogatari in that where production values might be lacking, the strong character drama carries it.

It’s also strange how much more exaggerated the main character has in his actions and facial expressions when tea comes up. It’s quite the contrast to what is otherwise this dry historical drama. I suppose it’s to mark the frivolity inherent in his obsession.

Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple 1

k6Ie7Aml.png

rEEG072l.png

What a boss.

This is really charming and looks to scratch that mystery itch I have. It’s apparenttly generally faithful to the original stories which is all the better. Thanks for the headsup, Bluwacky!
----

In memory of ponpo rip ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

Valvrave 2

bad

Majestic Prince 3

bad

Sparrow’s Hotel 1-2

bad

Oreimo S2 2

good

Oreimo S2 3

hng

Attack on Titan 3

bad

Gargantia 3

good

Quasar

Watching Clannad Afterstory for the first time (well I tried the dub ages ago but found it unwatchable).

Damn. Cry baby I am. So easy when you start pushing fatherhood/husband style buttons it isn't funny.

Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple 1

This is really charming and looks to scratch that mystery itch I have. It’s apparenttly generally faithful to the original stories which is all the better. Thanks for the headsup, Bluwacky!

This isn't anime but you should watch Agatha Christie's Poirot. No one does it better than David Suchet.

Articalys

I know that someone said earlier that iTunes charts aren't really a good predictor of anything physical sales-wise, but it's still fun to check. This week's top 20 current-season anison report:

3) reunion by ClariS (Oreimo S2 OP)
10) Fantastic Future by Yukari Tamura (Henneko OP)
16) Guren no Yumiya TV SIZE by Linked Horizon (Attack on Titan OP)

I think I'll do these on Sunday nights from now on.

jbug617

Banned
Valvrave 2

What is going on with this show. It's all over the place and I don't know what to think about it.

Hajime no Ippo 1-63

Really like the show. Great mix of comedy and fights. Really like the animation when it comes to the knock out blows (especially the Dempsey Roll).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hyouge Mono 2

I see what Hosanna meant about the musical direction. It’s just bizarre and ill fitting at times. It’s a hasty assertion to make too, given how little I’ve seen of either show, but this sort of reminds me of Saiunkoku Monogatari in that where production values might be lacking, the strong character drama carries it.

After watching the first episode of Shinrei Tantei Yakumo yesterday, I suppose that this is just what you get when NHK commissions Bee Train to make something.

OceanBlue

Watching Clannad Afterstory for the first time (well I tried the dub ages ago but found it unwatchable).

Damn. Cry baby I am. So easy when you start pushing fatherhood/husband style buttons it isn't funny.
I'm a sucker for family stories, so I completely understand. After Story hit me where it hurt. ;_;

I know that someone said earlier that iTunes charts aren't really a good predictor of anything physical sales-wise, but it's still fun to check. This week's top 20 current-season anison report:

3) reunion by ClariS (Oreimo S2 OP)
10) Fantastic Future by Yukari Tamura (Henneko OP)
16) Guren no Yumiya TV SIZE by Linked Horizon (Attack on Titan OP)

I think I'll do these on Sunday nights from now on.

The TV version of Guren no Yumiya ranking always surprises me. Between this and the relative popularity I see on Pixiv, I can't imagine that it'll do poorly.

Woo Oreimo~

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Smile Precure ~fin~:

That was good. I rather enjoyed this as my first PreCure. :)

Yes yes, I know Regulus. Heartcatch will be next.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Suisei no A-Team - 03

Fucking bullshit best describes this episode.

"It's your fault these pirates are coming for us"
Fuck you, if it's his fault, it's also Amy's fault for asking a fucking SPACE ALIEN WITH A DEATH MACHINE to vaguely "help us!"

"Don't kill the pirates because that's bad."

So you're totally okay with them firing bullets and fighting you with robots and shit, killing your people? Oh wait, no you're not, because you're firing bullets at them and fighting them with robots and shit too. The best part is shortly after they scold Ledo for doing what he did, THEIR WARSHIPS START FIRING AT THE PIRATES.

Holy shit this is Valvrave levels of stupid. Step it the fuck up people of Gargantia.
I fucking like this show.

stryke

I still get teary-eyed till this day. An absolute favourite for me.

Gargantia

Kind of predictable how the episode played out. At least he still managed to learn something about humanity despite how action-filled the ep was.
Didn't expect that backlash in the beginning though.

Titan

Was okay. Really just spent an entire episode introducing the other characters. Can't wait to see them adapt the later parts of the manga when stuff actually happens.

The only bad thing about Clannad Afterstory is the fact that you have to watch the boring first season just to have the necessary context for Afterstory.

Spazznid

Is it me or is this anime season pretty damn good?

I never posted in here, or at least, I don't remember ever doing so, so don't kill me when I say something in a bit.

Titan
This show is pretty good, gives me that Tengen Toppa feel, except maybe this time Kamiya won't die and I won't quit mid-way... Loving it so far, and Potato girl is the greatest surprise of ep 3.

Gargantia
A show I'd not have watched if not for the fact that It is very in depth with things, like the way the ship was recording the MC running to graph a map, the difference in language, the suit subtitles, etc. The only thing I dislike is the girl. She looks way too squeaky and doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast. Meh. Will continue to watch, because I like the MC enough.

Yahari
This show feels a lot like The World only God Knows, in all the right ways, except the MC is so messed up and flaunts it around like a badge of honor. I love it. The fact that he gloats and everyone around him just kind of feels disgusted. Had me lolling.

Valvrave
This series has potential. That's all I'll say. It's weird and crazy and out there, but it has some great potential. We'll see...

And finally... I think I'll be getting a bit of hate with this one...

Aku no Hana

tumblr_ml5zmrnhNm1r45g3go2_400.gif

I fucking love this show. First episode was so dull I had to stop halfway through. Then I started it up again where I left off. Thank god. Part 2 of the episode hits and I'm slowly warming up to it.
When she tells the teacher to STFU I fell in love
. Then episode 2 gave me a sort of curiosity. With it's events, I wanted to see where everything was going to go. After episode 3, I was sold. There is something seriously fucked up with these two, and the fact that one of them is the MC has me all sorts of excited. This show went from bottom to top of my list in three episodes. Screw the haters, I hope this becomes a great show and inspires a cult following or even a subtle change in anime. I want imperfect, messed up characters. I want dark, I want twisted.

tumblr_mljowpOBUZ1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

Milamber

Someone make a gif of that leviathan fighting that monster in Muromi 2. That was amazing.

iBYaVSkjvB7le.gif

Also, I'm disappointed at the Gargantia haters here. All the decisions made in the show so far makes sense at their particular point of views and current understanding of the technology presented and their situations.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
iBYaVSkjvB7le.gif

Also, I'm disappointed at the Gargantia haters here. All the decisions made in the show so far makes sense at their particular point of views and current understanding of the technology presented and their situations.

What the hell? Looks awesome. And Crazy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, after seeing a few Aku no Hana gifs, I almost think that I could stand the faces if it weren't for the turtle mouths.

duckroll

You know, after seeing a few Aku no Hana gifs, I almost think that I could stand the faces if it weren't for the turtle mouths.

The worst part for me is that the mouths don't just -look- bad, but when anyone talks and there's a close up, the lip sync is either horrendously bad or nonexistent. It really hurts the experience. :(

One Piece 592

Must be rough for Brownbeard after having your savior discard and want to kill you.

Still, he's lucky OP logic presumes you can still live after taking 6 point blank shots to the face.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The worst part for me is that the mouths don't just -look- bad, but when anyone talks and there's a close up, the lip sync is either horrendously bad or nonexistent. It really hurts the experience. :(

Well, I bought the first three volumes of the manga, so I guess this isn't an issue for me now anyway. You win, buy-the-manga conspiracy!

jgminto

New avatar time. Not super happy with how it turned out. My transparency skills are so inconsistent.

Well their tech isn't that far off from current tech, back in some areas and forward in others.

iBYaVSkjvB7le.gif

Exactly. With a description that tells of a space-soldier learning about peace, one needs to enter this show with the proper insight. The action is just the icing on the cake in this anime. The real strength comes from the show's depth in morality and peace.

But then again, it's only the third episode, so who knows, they might throw a giant sea-caterpillar wearing a party hat in the next episode so it's a little early to call it a great anime. Great so far, but I hope they keep it up.

duckroll

Well, I bought the first three volumes of the manga, so I guess this isn't an issue for me now anyway. You win, buy-the-manga conspiracy!

The anime has really good direction though. I just wish they... wouldn't use facial close-ups when they're talking because that's the worst part. >_<

jgminto

Exactly. With a description that tells of a space-soldier learning about peace, one needs to enter this show with the proper insight. The action is just the icing on the cake in this anime. The real strength comes from the show's depth in morality and peace.

But then again, it's only the third episode, so who knows, they might throw a giant sea-caterpillar wearing a party hat in the next episode so it's a little early to call it a great anime. Great so far, but I hope they keep it up.

I'd hardly consider being raped and pillaged by pirates a peaceful state.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
iBYaVSkjvB7le.gif

No they don't make sense at all. If they did make sense, why are the people of Gargantia fighting back with the same guns, robots, and warships the pirates are trying to kill them with despite telling Ledo (practically telling him at least) that killing pirates is bad?

Not even a hater, I love the show so far. I wouldn't be so bothered by this if I didn't! The people of Gargantia have an interesting philosophy that they don't seem to do a very good job of following themselves.

It's one thing to say "We don't go out of our way to kill the pirates by actively pursuing them" and another to say "Killing them is bad, even when they attacked us!"

I'm going to fail my final tomorrow morning because Im too bothered to study and am spending my time posting about it here instead. Thanks Gargantia :p

Dresden

No they don't make sense at all. If they did make sense, why are the people of Gargantia fighting back with the same guns, robots, and warships the pirates are trying to kill them with despite telling Ledo (practically telling him at least) that killing pirates is bad?

Not even a hater, I love the show so far. I wouldn't be so bothered by this if I didn't! The people of Gargantia have an interesting philosophy that they don't seem to do a very good job of following themselves.

It's one thing to say "We don't go out of our way to kill the pirates by actively pursuing them" and another to say "Killing them is bad, even when they attacked us!"

If they have to defend themselves, they will. But it's not unrealistic to be mad at Ledo for massacring the pirates and escalating the situation beyond what they were prepared for. Or the shock of seeing such weapons on display.

Noirulus

Is it weird that I don't plan on watching Shingeki no Kyojin because I'm afraid that seeing it in animated form will shatter my image of the manga? More specifically, It's because I don't want to see it in colour. I faced this same dilemma with Claymore.

I think their strategy was to disarm the pirates, which would destroy their morale enough that they wouldn't bother harassing/attacking Gargantia again. It didn't work though because Lukkage and her Yunboro minions pulled a surprise sneak attack on Gargantia from underwater.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The anime has really good direction though. I just wish they... wouldn't use facial close-ups when they're talking because that's the worst part. >_<

I imagine that I'll watch it as a supplement to the manga at some point, but given the eccentricities and inconsistencies in quality, I don't want the anime to be my first exposure to the material. Watching the movie before reading the book is only okay if you're Lord of the Rings!

Speaking of which, I never did get around to reading Magi...

Start it nao.

Did somebody say Nao?!?!?!?

gUNuu.gif

I like Muromi's OP song.

I imagine that I'll watch it as a supplement to the manga at some point, but given the eccentricities and inconsistencies in quality, I don't want the anime to be my first exposure to the material. Watching the movie before reading the book is only okay if you're Lord of the Rings!

No, that's not okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom