• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
For those intrested in studio trigger or Little witch academia ( nobody here i assume ) but i'll post anyway.
Some translation from this interview : published here
Some stuff to note :
-Last year they were 4 people working in the studio, now they are 13.

Do they have to outsource a lot? I'm just wondering how they could do a high quality TV series when seemingly that number is so low.

DB GT cute Pan edition

rLJ5prX.jpg

She's just a girl, and she's on fire
Hotter than a fantasy, lonely like a highway
She's living in a world, and it's on fire
Feeling the catastrophe, but she knows she can fly away

Oh, she got both feet on the ground
And she's burning it down
Oh, she got her head in the clouds
And she's not backing down

This girl is on fire
This girl is on fire
She's walking on fire
This girl is on fire

You forgot some important stuff:

-Trigger has no say in determining if a Panty & Stocking sequel ever exists; that's Gainax's choice.
-The staff always had a genuine interest in expanding Little Witch Academia; the producer said that they couldn't tell everything they wanted to tell in 26 minutes and that they have many more stories for the world. If the project is popular, they would love to be able to do a TV series or whatever.

Indeed i did.
Was about to edit my previous post but you posted the rest ..

Do they have to outsource a lot? I'm just wondering how they could do a high quality TV series when seemingly that number is so low.

In that case ( LWA ) they took their time to make those 25 mins.
Things will be probably different if they make a Tv series

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm noticing that Novid can't spell consistently worth for crap. Nor does his paragraphs make any coherent sense between senteces. I'm usually fine with the occasional bad grammar, etc in a long post. To consistently and constantly do it, that must take skill. Either that or you don't write. Ever.

I'm noticing that Novid can't spell consistently worth for crap. Nor does his paragraphs make any coherent sense between senteces. I'm usually fine with the occasional bad grammar, etc in a long post. To consistently and constantly do it, that must take skill. Either that or you don't write. Ever.

As long as a post is understandable thats all that matters :(

Mr.Jeff

I'm honestly surprised that the Waterworld-future isn't more brutal and unforgiving considering that you'd think there'd be a battle for the scarce resources that remain under the waves. Perhaps the only way to effectively make the best use of the resources people have available to them is through cooperation?
So sort of Mad Max meets Waterworld + Anime?

Reknoc

Normally I'm alright with that. However, to be constant in doing so sort of makes me feel like you don't really care about how your post is presented. Maybe it's just me.

It's just you. Considering the contents are insane I don't think spelling and grammar matter too much.

duckroll

I think what people don't really realize that in the majority of animation studios, they don't have a large number of actual employees. The majority of animators, directors, and staff on a project are usually contract staff. It doesn't mean you're outsourcing necessarily, it just means that those people are not on the company's internal payroll.

Jarmel

Banned
I think what people don't really realize that in the majority of animation studios, they don't have a large number of actual employees. The majority of animators, directors, and staff on a project are usually contract staff. It doesn't mean you're outsourcing necessarily, it just means that those people are not on the company's internal payroll.

Well that was what I was generally referring to, however is there an actual animation directors' union or something of that nature?

duckroll

Well that was what I was generally referring to, however is there an actual animation directors' union or something of that nature?

It's not outsourcing when the work is produced in your studio. Outsourcing is when you farm work out to another studio your internal production lines are all tapped out. Animators contracted to work on a project by the studio producing it work directly for that studio over the duration of the project - they're just not employees.

The Animator's union in Japan is JAniCA. They're the ones who produce the Anime Mirai stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not outsourcing when the work is produced in your studio. Outsourcing is when you farm work out to another studio your internal production lines are all tapped out. Animators contracted to work on a project by the studio producing it work directly for that studio over the duration of the project - they're just not employees.

The Animator's union in Japan is JAniCA. They're the ones who produce the Anime Mirai stuff.

So my definition of outsourcing is incorrect. I always viewed it as outsourcing even when a hospital hired freelance contractors to work inside say an emergency room in said hospital in that they are hiring outside the internal hospital staff. Example is just based on normal discussion in my household. However that would just be contract work I guess.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
K.... every GAF thread works fine for me but the moment I try to enter this thread it enters super lag mode. What the?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are you suggesting his dream of being a future writer of the Thundercats will never come true. :(

duckroll

So my definition of outsourcing is incorrect. I always viewed it as outsourcing even when a hospital hired freelance contractors to work inside say an emergency room in said hospital in that they are hiring outside the internal hospital staff. Example is just based on normal discussion in my household. However that would just be contract work I guess.

I think it really depends on the industry we're talking about too. In the anime industry, that's how the business works, so it would be incorrect to define it as general outsourcing because it loses all meaning when the majority of the staff are contract staff on a per project basis. How can you say the director of a show is "outsourced" for example, when he was hired specifically to work on that project? It makes no sense.

Look at Hollywood for example, cast and crew do not work for film studios - but marketing teams and producers do. The cast and crew for a show or a movie are put together for the purpose of that project, and they're not otherwise employed by the studios. Who uses the term "outsourcing" in this instance? No one because it makes no sense.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm talking mainly about subtitles here, which should be their fault:

They are also often not synchronised, and when more than one character is speaking it's downright useless to try to figure out who's saying what. Audio quality isn't that much better, but that's the least of my concerns.

Before I say any more, do you remember if there was a jump in video quality beginning with episode thirteen?

whooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LOVE AND HONOR.

Oh, wrong Naoe Kanetsugu?

I almost posted the image, but I actually managed to have restraint this time.

BluWacky

Are you suggesting his dream of being a future writer of the Thundercats will never come true. :(

It got cancelled, unfortunately, so it's highly unlikely we'll ever see any more Thundercats.

I only watched up to episode 8; although the animation was frequently pretty good, the stories were bland and the characterisation frustrating. While I was sad it died after so much hype, I'm not that upset that it's gone.

DiGiKerot

Wait, is this why the Pretty Cure stream they have looks so unprofessional?

I'm pretty sure that they're taken from old, internal-use VHS copies that Toei found in a cupboard somewhere - they used to be up on Funimations video portal for a while as well (pre-One Piece-gate and them completely re-engineering it). They looked pretty terrible there, too.

I gather that Toei actually have all their Precure output subtitled internally for use in sales and by their partner agencies, but, alas, the more recent series have never seen the light of day officially.

Branduil

So are there any studios besides KyoAni and Ufotable which employ their own animators?

Ultimadrago

Is it just me or are all 3 Ep. so far of OreImo much weaker than any Ep in the 1st [season]? Especially that Backstory Ep....

It's just you.

DB GT cute Pan edition

She's just a girl, and she's on fire
Hotter than a fantasy, lonely like a highway
She's living in a world, and it's on fire
Feeling the catastrophe, but she knows she can fly away

Oh, she got both feet on the ground
And she's burning it down
Oh, she got her head in the clouds
And she's not backing down

This girl is on fire
This girl is on fire
She's walking on fire
This girl is on fire

Somebody call 9-1-1

K.... every GAF thread works fine for me but the moment I try to enter this thread it enters super lag mode. What the?
i'm on my 2nd 403 error and my 3rd database error so far :)

Will GAF survive this ordeal ?

If? Don't we already know that they are? I thought it was supposed to be revealed in Newtype in the beginning of next month.
I was talking about LWA. Ofcourse there is the project they can't talk for now i was refering in my summary that will be annonced in Newtype.
Given what they wish to do they will probably increase their staff ( not counting freelance workers ) if they want to handle all their project and ideas ( or if their current project reach a commercial sucess ) But they aren't at that stage yet .. i just wish them luck and pray for more.

Arjuna should be required viewing by everyone who wishes to learn from the mountain!

?? But who wish to hear about this sad truth of our society ?

Is it just me or are all 3 Ep. so far of OreImo much weaker than any Ep in the 1st Ep? Especially that Backstory Ep....

It's not you .. they are focusing on characters ( one at a time ) and they aren't making them interract with each other enough because they don't need to do that for now.It's a weird state of affairs that won't change except for the drama at the end ( and it's going to happen )

duckroll

So are there any studios besides KyoAni and Ufotable which employ their own animators?

All studios employ their own animators. It's only a question of how many they employ and how much work the studio has. No one employs 100% of the animators working on a project. It's practically impossible. Of course once we go beyond animators, it gets less common too. Having internal directors might not be feasible for some studios, having internal art departments and digital studios is also a matter of upkeep cost. After all, background art and composite are the two easiest areas to outsource, since there are many experienced studios which specialize in those fields.

I believe that when it comes to animators, it is most common for those employed at a given studio to be the in-between animators. They're the ones fresh out of school or new to the industry, and since they are nobodies they start by doing in-betweening at a studio which accepts their application. From there if they become key animators, they either stay at the studio out of loyalty if there is enough work, or they go freelance to get as much work as possible once they have a portfolio and contacts in the industry.

faridmon

It's just you.
Clearly not...

It's not you .. they are focusing on characters ( one at a time ) and they aren't making them interract with each other enough because they don't need to do that for now.It's a weird state of affairs that won't change except for the drama at the end ( and it's going to happen )

Yeah, that’s it. They are trying to create a resemblance of interaction between character to a point that it feels that its forced. One of the things that I liked about the first series was its spontaneous reactions and character came in and out, which bizarrely was very much natural. This feels that they are trying to create an artificial bond between the characters which I think hinders some of the characterisation in the series.

Quite frankly I don't remember much about the early eps of OreImo. That said, I think this season has been pretty boring so far.

To be fair alot of things happend in the first series which might not stand out as sore thumb. But its progression was more natural and organic.

have we reached a point in technology where Adobe suite or something can just 'fill in the gaps between key frames' with a press of a button?

render me 2d.

Ultimadrago

Which was?

Yeah, I can't remember much about the first series, but I rememebr a lot of things happning which might have resulted in me enjoying it.

Kirino getting an anime, for starters (Episode 8)

Yeah, that’s it. They are trying to create a resemblance of interaction between character to a point that it feels that its forced. One of the things that I liked about the first series was its spontaneous reactions and character came in and out, which bizarrely was very much natural. This feels that they are trying to create an artificial bond between the characters which I think hinders some of the characterisation in the series.

I don't think you entirely know what you're talking about here. What artificial bonds? What's forced versus natural interaction in Oreimo (out of all anime)? Single character focus does not inherently equate "forced interaction" and lack of scattered hi-jinks between the cast doesn't inherently make the show feel more natural. The first episode leaves off Kirino and Kyou starting from a similar square one to first season, episode two is Ayase taking a peek into Kirino's world (something she has done since the first season, but is made more entertaining this time versus the cosplay contest present) and Saori's relationship with her sister and desire to weaning off her teat to find her own companions in life. I've heard people say the drama in the latter is heavy-handed (welcome to the Oreimo series), but handles itself fine with (and is superior to some of) the company of other "dramatic" scenes in the series.

Now, I'm not defending the series on a whole. It knows what it is and sets out with standard anime archetype antics, whatever. However, if someone is going to say this season is suddenly "more forced" than the first season, I'm not seeing that claim supported.

Narag

I don't think s2 is forced, just that characters are established and aren't bring subverted constantly as in the first.

faridmon

Kirino getting an anime, for starters (Episode 8)

I don't think you entirely know what you're talking about here. What artificial bonds? What's forced versus natural interaction in Oreimo (out of all anime)? Single character focus does not inherently equate "forced interaction" and lack of scattered hi-jinks between the cast doesn't inherently make the show feel more natural. The first episode leaves off Kirino and Kyou starting from a similar square one to first season, episode two is Ayase taking a peek into Kirino's world (something she has done since the first season, but is made more entertaining this time versus the cosplay contest present) and Saori's relationship with her sister and desire to weaning off her teat to find her own companions in life. I've heard people say the drama in the latter is heavy-handed (welcome to the Oreimo series), but handles itself fine with (and is superior to some of) the company of other "dramatic" scenes in the series.

Now, I'm not defending the series on a whole. It knows what it is and sets out with standard anime archetype antics, whatever. However, if someone is going to say this season is suddenly "more forced" than the first season, I'm not seeing that claim supported.

Uh Huh. I mean they are trying to creat a reason for their ''friendship'' rather than creating situations which might bond them together. Last season for example, Kyosuke was sucked inot Kirino's hobby because he stumbled across it. There is no reason. Ep. 2, Kirino didn't have friend and Kyosuke recommended her to join online community where she met her new friends. Eps. 3 was continueation of Ep2 where she tries to be open about her hobby to her family.

Things happen, and happen as linear storyline. This season, they have to find reasons to bring out their friendships. Kyusuke forced to play that Vita game which connects him to that Blue heired girl felt just a filler Ep. 3rd Ep was backstory, why?

Is it just me or are all 3 Ep. so far of OreImo much weaker than any Ep in the 1st Ep? Especially that Backstory Ep....

I kinda agree with you and its mainly because its shifted from being about the Kyousuke and Kirino being the main characters to a harem like thing where each character is getting their own episode. Theres no plot that extends more than one episode too.

EP 2 was great though.

DiGiKerot

Uh Huh. I mean they are trying to creat a reason for their ''friendship'' rather than creating situations which might bond them together. Last season for example, Kyosuke was sucked inot Kirino's hobby because he stumbled across it. There is no reason. Ep. 2, Kirino didn't have friend and Kyosuke recommended her to join online community where she met her new friends. Eps. 3 was continueation of Ep2 where she tries to be open about her hobby to her family.

Things happen, and happen as linear storyline. This season, they have to find reasons to bring out their friendships. Kyusuke forced to play that Vita game which connects him to that Blue heired girl felt just a filler Ep. 3rd Ep was backstory, why?

At least some of this material for the new season is pulled from side content as opposed to the main series novels - episode 2, for example, I gather is based on an audio drama as opposed to one of the main novels. That probably explains at least some of the lack of forward momentum this last couple of weeks, but I'd imagine they'll have to get back to the main plot shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom