• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I still have to watch Evangelion despite it being a massively influential series. It kinda feels like the "final exam" of watching anime, since I've heard the story is notoriously very difficult to follow from a certain point.
So, am I a grave anime sinner if I haven't watch Evangelion? I see I'm not the only one though.
I need to watch Evangelion as well.
Not really. I haven't watched it eaither and I am living for the past 10 years or so without any guilt or anxiiety.
Yeah, you four, and Haly as well (I know where you are!) should probably watch the original Evangelion series because it's pretty good. 7/10 internet arguments can't be wrong about this!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I note that ToonamiGAF have reached their 4th OT. Congratulations to them! Whenever I see an anime thread on the OT it's refreshing to encounter a wide range of posters who enjoy anime but don't happen to frequent this thread.

Now, why hasn't ToonamiGAF been dragged out of the limelight and placed in Community with the rest of the so called Megathreads? I guess the same is true for a small selection of other multi-OT threads but it does feel strangely inconsistent. Surely they're even more of an independent community than this thread!

We're only really active on Saturday nights, we get big news on new shows or when the weekly ratings come in, other than that the thread stays buried for most of the week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On that note, how have ratings been?

Up 100% from a year ago (over the entire time of new Toonami's run). Usually between 2 and 4 shows can break 1 million viewers, depending on if there's a game or fight that night. Other than that nothing drops below 600k at the lowest.

Sure, Lain is relatively easy to follow as a whole but that requires glossing over a ton of pretty bizarre and insane sequences that demand some kind of explanation.

It's a thematic, figurative style of storytelling where the boundary being "reality" and "metaphor" becomes blurred to the point where it is hardly distinguishable. This also seems to be Ikuhara's preferred method of storytelling, to judge from Penguin Drum.

So, am I a grave anime sinner if I haven't watch Evangelion? I see I'm not the only one though.

I've only seen Rebuild and two TV episodes I caught randomly on Adult Swim years ago.

So you know what, the reason I'm here on this board before Toonami came back, or even before the Thundercats came back, was to see who was going to be the biggest world wide fad coming from japan. But the business has changed too damn much. I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm not meant to be on this thread anymore. Outlived my usefulness on this particular thread. I know when I am not wanted. So im gone from this thread. Its better for my sanity and the rest of the posters here.

Nothing's changed. People get paid millions of dollars every year to figure out what the next big thing is. And you know what? Most of the time it's something that nobody thought about until it actually became the next big thing.

Jex

Up 100% from a year ago (over the entire time of new Toonami's run). Usually between 2 and 4 shows can break 1 million viewers, depending on if there's a game or fight that night. Other than that nothing drops below 600k at the lowest.

Well that's a pretty good sign.

DBGT original DB edition

4g3lA4p.jpg

Bulma was such a cutie back then, searching for her prince <3

BluWacky

This sure is a lot of people who either already watched 3.0, or just don't care about light spoilers from the preview.

I've not watched 3.0 - or even seen Evangelion TV - and the trailer is absolutely meaningless to me. Maybe I should have paid more attention when watching 2.0? It's just a CG Eva 1 beating some stuff up.

A lot of the time, spoilers are only spoilers if you know they are, if you know what I mean :)

Jexhius said:
All the people who have seen Rebuild but not the original works really cute me deep.

I think the last thing I'd do to anyone is cute them. Does that involve Puchi Eva somehow?

Tenumi

Banned
I've watched the Evangelion TV Series, End of Evangelion, and Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22, haven't watch 3.0(3.33, whatever) yet, waiting on a US release for that.

Actually next month, it'll be 2 years since I seen Evangelion for the first time...

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 64: The End of the Holiday

~ My father used to say that the strong flame burns out quicker. ~

Reinhard looks ridiculously fabulous with his long hair and a nightrobe. It's not good he got sick again though, it hasn't been that long since the last time. I guess being the Kaiser of the entire universe is a pretty taxing job.
Julian is gonna go visit Odin. I'm interested to see what he thinks about the state of the Empire. I mean, the Imperial citizens don't really look all that oppressed.
The first signs of political rifts seem to appear in the High Admiralty, especially between von Reuental and von Oberstein. I don't understand why a Minister of Internal Affairs is considered lower than a Fleet Admiral though. Isn't he a political heavyweight in the Imperial cabinet?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Evangelion isn't hard to follow at all - just realize that all the religious imagery is meaningless, focus on the psychological state of the characters rather than the plot, and it all comes together rather well in that regard.

Jex

I've not watched 3.0 - or even seen Evangelion TV - and the trailer is absolutely meaningless to me. Maybe I should have paid more attention when watching 2.0? It's just a CG Eva 1 beating some stuff up.
If you've seen Rebuild there's a pretty clear spoiler in the trailer.

Mature

Eva was a really, really good experience for me. The weirdest part is that it's been gnawing at me ever since I completed it (what? last month?). I keep thinking about it and wanting to go back and watch it and analyze it. I especially loved all the characters which is why
End of Evangelion was such a tough watch.

Syrinx

Heartcatch Precure 36

AAAAAHHHHHHHH OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(okay maybe not the best episode ever, but probably the best in the series so far).

Initially I didn't like that the Heart Flowers in this episode focused on members of the Light Music Club, seeing as how it was the big day for the Fashion Club with their Fashion Show and everything, but it led to a fantastic conclusion with the Light Music Club playing their song during the Fashion Show, and it was FUCKING GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

Those girls were afraid they couldn't sing? I guess stage fright can affect anybody (I sure as hell wouldn't want to be up there), and there was a fuckton of people there (seriously, how can a middle school auditorium (or wherever they were) hold that many people?), but they were great singers. Much better than any singer from a certain other Light Music Club I can think of.

As for the Fashion Show itself, all I will say (aside from the aforementioned AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!) is that the title of the episode was perfect. Everybody was the star, and everybody shined. Everybody. Tsubomi's dress, Erika's hat, EVERYTHING! Especially
Yuri
. She's come such a long way, and it's good to see her smile.

cajunator

Banned
Yea I just checked this as well. You're correct. Koyama was the lead. Well here is a more recent work then:

cuuuuute!
*hugs picture

Are you referring to this?

TypeMoonFes01.jpg

A shitload of artwork came out of FES.

Ugh. Now the argument becomes a lot more complicated as it now becomes, who did what inside TM. Koyama apparently did stuff in Tsukihime and FS/N as well.

This really isnt that bad. Kind of elegant and beautiful art.

You know what, fuck it.

#TeamSaber

Damned right my Nakama!
So far the most expensive figure I have bought was saber and so worth it!

This is all pretty fascinating really.

Ah I see what you mean.

fatezero_bdbox02.jpg

He does vary the hairstyles a bit though.

The thing I dontl ike about the designs is many of the male characters look the same and it gets confusing in the show who is who and thusly why they are doing what they do.

I just wanted to say, I have never seen any anime capture the deadeyes look as well as Game of Thrones did last episode.

I always hear about this show. whats it about? What is the appeal of it? can someone explain a bit?

I'm just coming out of a showing of the Steins;Gate movie.

I obviously won't spoil it for those of you waiting for the home release, but I'll just say that while it was alright, it felt terribly unnecessary to me. At least we get see those characters one more time, I guess!

I'd upload a pic of that nice poster signed by the staff I saw at the theater but I'm on my iPhone and I have no effing clue how lel

I felt that Steins;gate explained itself and concluded its story very well and that any movie or omake from this point would be in the middle of everything as some kind of silly side adventure. I would never expect it to live up to the brilliance of the show. Such is the fate of so many movie spinoffs of successful series.

I just finished Guilty Crown. I feel ripped off. What a terrible ending. I want 16 hours of my life back.

I wont say that animegaf warned you but... Animegaf warned you!

Thanks was sort of stuck on what to watch next and this is what I came up with!

What is it with Noels and Makotos? best names.

LMFAO, this got me good. Gotta see how it got to that. It's almost as hilarious as Dark Cat.

So guys, what's your favourite waifu to get early 90s'd choose wisely!

She is voiced by Ayako Kawasumi. It's not possible!

Sucy's hair sort of looks like a banana peel, discuss.

Thanks I've been looking for a GIF of this.

Noel and Makoto are names fitting for amazing characters. You dont name just any girl Makoto. Or any guy for that matter. Noel is much less common.

My favorite 90s waifu is still Misato Katsuragi.

Sucy's hair is perfection.

Crunchy only existed to screw over 4Kids. Period. The fact that a certain Senator got involved with his money, while being a part of a Committee that oversaw another branch of government concerning how 4Kids or any other entity dealt with how they air shows done on weekdays or Saturday Morning is tantamount to impeachment or at best recognition there is a conflict of interest.

But then again, I didn't expect the show to change things overnight. But at least I wasn't stealing anime and making money off of it.

And my point has been proven the other day in Boston. They now kowtow to teenagers who may have been apart of terror cells that have been hidden for years. Outside of those that tried to help others on the bombing and the homeowner who found that 19 year old bastard, I am disappointed that things were not handled better.

And as sex being a form of currency? Christ, half the posts here? How about what happened to the main anime threads over at penny-arcade? Certain Gamefaq's posters now say that people who don't like moe are now called "dirty Normals"? And its isn't just this genre. Do I have to mention that Dance Moms episode? Creepy Gaf (and reddit and all the fucking tumblrs?) concerning those now ended Nick live action shows? If Sandy Hook didn't show you that man's heart is sick, If the Boston terror event didn't show you this, if Stubanville didn't show you it - then I feel sorry for you wonzo point blank.

The only problem Novid is that humanity has committed atrocities long before anime and will continue to do so long after it is gone. Anime is just a medium. It is a form of artistic expression, so it can be expected to contain all the good and bad elements of human existence and to the limits of its depravity. Crunchyroll just found a way to get a share of the pie from it.

Nyarlathotep is so moe

Look, ok lets keep things point blank. I don't like Crunchy. I will never buy a subscription to there website, I hate there business model. I hate how they made there money, I don't like their ownership. I rather see them burn. Period.

Thats fair enough. I want Viz to burn.

What? do you hate the subscrition model? or the fact that theres a tier with ads? Do you also hate Hulu and Netflix?

It's pretty much the one legal outlet for many that has a range of anime at a reasonable price. Thats said, given Japanese disc prices I continue to be shocked that streaming rights are even offered to the likes of crunchyroll and funimation.

Of course I am also surprised Netflix is more or less a non entity in this space these days.

Netflix is too hamstrung by licensing issues to be very good for anime. Stuff just doesnt last long on it and the current choices are depressing.

Crunchyroll used to be illegitimate - when they started, they made money off streaming bootlegs of official DVDs and fansubs. For whatever reason, I think Novid feels that Crunchyroll's success has destabilised Saturday morning children's programming - although given that the vast majority of Crunchyroll's output would never make it onto US television (and many of the more popular kids shows are streamed by Funimation or Viz) I'm not sure how much water that argument holds.

I think it's a case of trying to monetise anime however possible. The majority of anime sells piddling amounts on disc, and although an anime may help to drive manga/novel sales or associated merchandise for some shows even that's not going to make a huge difference. If even Japanese consumers aren't particularly interested in buying From The New World on disc
:( :( :(
then selling something as intangible and cost-effective as streaming rights is a great way to earn a little bit of investment back.

Saturday Morning kids show programming was in decline long before. I lament its loss as well but I think some of it can be blamed on Saban and some of it for poor choices by ABC and nickelodeon. Some of it is probably just falling out of touch with kids and cartoons.

Seriously considering enforcing the "All Conspiracy Bullshit Goes into that one Off-Topic Thread" rule in here soon. :p

I disagree. It has led to some interesting discussion, even if it is conspiracy related. Its still anime related. sorta. Adds color to the thread.

I just like watching anime...

You and me both brother!

Anime is killing America.
But moe is killing anime.
So support moe for the good of America.

ByHHmkR.jpg

This is so awesome. I dont know why exactly, but a moe eagle is so fucking awesome.

One, I'm not trying to dumb down anything. I'm trying to say that these things are connected by the actions people take. if a society states that its built on having families and such in a certain manner that would be successful to continue said society, and doesn't follow on it - of course their will be perversion. I have stated it again, and will state this for the last time I am not a Conspiracy Theorist. I have my own opinions. But I keep them to myself. What I have stated before about Saban or Crunchyroll is based on fact not here say.

I don't care what people do with sexual acts as long its two consenting adults. what I care is its aspects are used to communicate sort of like what Brave new World mentioned. It isn't healthy IMO. Its almost like were turning into the Chryssalid from Xcom - fit to breed and then die instead of reaching to the highest human potential - which the only two things human beings are reach that potential in my opinion is both in animation and space flight/travel/exploration.

Humans were always designed to breed and die. I have to say though, animation being one of the pinnacles of human achievment is certainly an interesting view of things.
There will always be horrible things going on as long as mankind has the free will to make it happen. But similarly, there will always be wonderful things too.

And when the last human is about to close their eyes for the last time they'll look back on what mankind had achieved and remember that man was able to reach the moon and Kill Me Baby got an animated series.

Amen. Alleluia!

Watch Arjuna, it will all make sense.

Sounds like a NeoBONES show.

Arjuna is on its way to my house as we speak. Soon I shall witness, and I will be able to bask in its wisdom like the rest of you, and join the enlightened on the mountain.

for a show about them world mostly just water, I kinda expect them to be in swimsuits 24/7.

predictions on which eps will we get the accidental boy meets girl in bath kyaaa scene?

Give it two episodes. Hopefully its a steampunk bathhouse. Oh man that would be awesome. Inevitably they will compare breast size while Ledo blushes.

That was a pretty good review, will keep watching.

Also god damn, Madoka's dub is awful. These voices, argh

I liked Madoka's dub actually. Both versions sounded true to the characters and did not feel strangely cast. Maybe Im just too used to dubs.

You forgot some important stuff:

-Trigger has no say in determining if a Panty & Stocking sequel ever exists; that's Gainax's choice.
-The staff always had a genuine interest in expanding Little Witch Academia; the producer said that they couldn't tell everything they wanted to tell in 26 minutes and that they have many more stories for the world. If the project is popular, they would love to be able to do a TV series or whatever.

I would love to see a LWA series, but DONT expect the high level of animation in that if it happens. The costs of that wouldnt allow it probably. Id love to be proven wrong though.

Is it just me or are all 3 Ep. so far of OreImo much weaker than any Ep in the 1st Ep? Especially that Backstory Ep....

Oreimo is generally a weak series, but it has some fun characters in it to prop it up.
That said, the lack of Kuroneko is hurting it more than anything.

Dont you mean Waver, Kerry, and Ryuunosuke?

No, he means RIDER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom