• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yes! My Easter break has finally started! Planning on watching both Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (that's a hard anime title to spell) and GJ-bu during the next two weeks.

Also excited for OreImo S2 starting soon. Can't wait for the waifu wars.

We already had our wars.

I mean that Studio DEEN is terrible.

I usually don't know or look up which studio is behind the anime I watch, I just watch anything with a good rating. I had a look at what Studio Deen have made and these were the ones I recognized: Beyblade, Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma, Fate Stay Night.

Outside Rurouni Kenshin they were all mediocre or just horrible. So are they considered the worst studio out there?

They just mean that the Vns are much much better and deen version had some shortcomings

there ar eplenty of things that make much much more sense in the vns that deen could have used more properly ... they didn't

I really liked season 2. The first season was terrible, does the vn fix that?

BluWacky

Outside Rurouni Kenshin they were all mediocre or just horrible. So are they considered the worst studio out there?

Nah. They're not good, but they're not "the worst" animation studio out there.

What Keiichi is really saying is that Studio Deen's adaptations of the original visual novels for both Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and its spiritual sequel, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, are generally considered to be very poor by fans of the VNs.

Nah. They're not good, but they're not "the worst" animation studio out there.

What Keiichi is really saying is that Studio Deen's adaptations of the original visual novels for both Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and its spiritual sequel, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, are generally considered to be very poor by fans of the VNs.

The anime is ranked very high though. Its a shame those vn's never make it to the west...

There are problems in many areas in both seasons

This probably means I won't like the vn of season 1. I didn't like it by its nature, psychopathic killers and stuff.

PsionBolt

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan
bR617t7.png
There's no way you could pass up a title like that, right?

But, as expected, it didn't quite live up to the hype. No crossover ever really does (though I love watching them anyway). Also, super duper spoilers here, Japan needs to look up the word 'versus' already. I ought to be used to this because of Super Sentai vs. movies and Layton vs. Ace Attorney, but I was still hoping there'd be a bit more conflict in this one - after all, unlike most crossovers, there's actually a good side and bad side in this one, a detective and a thief!

Overall, this felt pretty much like a Conan movie guest starring Lupin and company. It does have the standard Lupin movie plot of a historical relic being stolen from a victimized princess as its shell; however, the execution is pretty thoroughly Conan. There's lots of on-screen text explaining locations and key players, and very little non-comic violence. Lupin's side does sneak in a tiny bit of comic non-explicit nudity, but that's to be expected from any work that Fujiko Mine appears in. The art style used for the movie-original characters is also taken from Conan -
though by necessity, given the body-double trick used by the princess and Ran

Despite its shortcomings, it was worth watching. Even for someone like me, who hasn't seen more than a couple movies and under twenty episodes of each series - the characters are classic, and they feel familiar through cultural osmosis alone. I suspect that this entry was missing a bit of the special charm these series are known for, but it was still above-average entertainment.

Verdict is a simple 6/10.

Aqua Lion EVOL 17

Best episode yet. This one episode combines everything that has made this show great: Dumb love nonsense, sexy misunderstandings, great use of insert songs, and the most completely ridiculous use of symbolism of all time thanks to our hero Fudo Zen who is greater than all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SAO's "sadlife justification" is worse than the usual male power fantasy. There is a reason firehawk singles it out from the hundreds of male power fantasy shows that come out every year.
Yeah, that's why it is so insidious - it speaks directly to the audience that wants to be enabled.

SYD really isn't the same kind of show as Ichizon, though. I mean, it's a pure comedy series, while Ichizon is also a harem show. Sure Seitokai Yakuindomo has one guy and a bunch of girls, but there's no harem there, and that's what distinguishes it from those others... that and that it's actually funny, and actually good. Yeah, what little I watched of Ichizon was so, so bad... bad, harem-junk garbage, with a brain-dead idiot for a female lead, a main guy who does all the work just so the girls won't have to actually do anything, etc. I haven't watched GJ-bu, but if it's more Ichizon than SYD, I don't know that I want to.

The thing is, Ichizon is not really a harem any more than Yakuindomo or GJ-bu. The guy says he wants a harem and there are metagags based on that, but it is the same cute girls each of a different trope sitting around in a room doing nothing for 20 minutes. It's just so front-loaded with referential and metatextual humour that it just gets really tiring at times. Add in the angsty drama stuff from the first season, and you really have no idea what the show is going for.

CorvoSol

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 5-8

IUvHqI2.png

Now, I know how you're feeling, I was there. But listen to me, there is a pay off, and it is worth it. Your faith will be tried by a horrible Gorgon known as Nia, but even she will pass, and in the end, there will come a moment which will make all of this worth it.

Mature

Macross SDF - 01
Anime has declined ;____;
Keep us up to date with your viewing!

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan

There's no way you could pass up a title like that, right?

But, as expected, it didn't quite live up to the hype. No crossover ever really does (though I love watching them anyway). Also, super duper spoilers here, Japan needs to look up the word 'versus' already. I ought to be used to this because of Super Sentai vs. movies and Layton vs. Ace Attorney, but I was still hoping there'd be a bit more conflict in this one - after all, unlike most crossovers, there's actually a good side and bad side in this one, a detective and a thief!

Overall, this felt pretty much like a Conan movie guest starring Lupin and company. It does have the standard Lupin movie plot of a historical relic being stolen from a victimized princess as its shell; however, the execution is pretty thoroughly Conan. There's lots of on-screen text explaining locations and key players, and very little non-comic violence. Lupin's side does sneak in a tiny bit of comic non-explicit nudity, but that's to be expected from any work that Fujiko Mine appears in. The art style used for the movie-original characters is also taken from Conan -
though by necessity, given the body-double trick used by the princess and Ran

Despite its shortcomings, it was worth watching. Even for someone like me, who hasn't seen more than a couple movies and under twenty episodes of each series - the characters are classic, and they feel familiar through cultural osmosis alone. I suspect that this entry was missing a bit of the special charm these series are known for, but it was still above-average entertainment.

Verdict is a simple 6/10.
Fun fact: When I watched this special I wasn't very far in Detective Conan, so I didn't know what Conan's belt gadget was. So in the movie when he's threatening to use it near the end, my brain could only imagine what awesome power was contained within the "Kill Belt".

Higurashi s3 e1 (ova)

This was so funny! Magical swimming trunks, Keeichi falling in love with himself, the girls trying to prevent that and the whole cast having a comical appearance, even the special forces units.

Keeichi kuuun you pervert!

http://www.abload.de/img/higurashi1286btq.png

I'm not even sure if above pic is NSFW lol

Mion/Shion saying that, really? :p

"at our school, they tell us to carry one at all times" :p

Tommy deflectring a grenade:

His body is made out of steel!

Shions reaction lol

Muhahahaha, loved it!

Joe Molotov

Higurashi s3 e1 (ova)

This was so funny! Magical swimming trunks, Keeichi falling in love with himself, the girls trying to prevent that and the whole cast having a comical appearance, even the special forces units.

Keeichi kuuun you pervert!

http://www.abload.de/img/higurashi1286btq.png

I'm not even sure if above pic is NSFW lol

Mion/Shion saying that, really? :p

"at our school, they tell us to carry one at all times" :p

Tommy deflectring a grenade:

His body is made out of steel!

Shions reaction lol

Muhahahaha, loved it!

Wait, this is Higurashi, right? The same Higurashi where everyone's going insane and getting murdered and shit.?

CorvoSol

GTO 37

So now the Okinawa arc is in full swing. Ms. Fuyutsuki is miraculously recovered from the last episode, which is fine. Of especial note is that Miyabi did not decide to eat crow and come on the Okinawa trip, although her cronies did. Meanwhile, beta bitch Anko has moved to take the crown for herself, and returned to beating up on Yoshikawa. This episode involves, largely, Yoshikawa's path to overcoming his fear of her, and, judging from the end of the episode, upcoming episodes will deal with re-breaking Anko.

It's such a funny thing, how huge a reaction Onizuka gets over something as simple as assigning boys and girls to the same room. I don't know WHY they let Onizuka do room assignments, but there it is. In any case, I can see why, for once, Uchiyamada would flip a lid because the legal complications from a trip like this could be disastrous. Still, it lead to some hilarious pairings. Yoshikawa is stuck with Anko and her cronies, while Murai and Kikuchi are with Miyabi's. Best of all, though, is Kanzaki.

Urumi Kanzaki got stuck in room 0080, which, as her roommates are quick to point out, is the year of War in the Pocket, a Gundam Masterpiece. Poor Kanzaki has no idea about Gundam at all, and the girl who knows it all is left exclaiming "I have no idea what they're talking about!"

GuP OVA 3 is one of the craziest things I have ever seen... :lol: :lol:

The thing is, Ichizon is not really a harem any more than Yakuindomo or GJ-bu. The guy says he wants a harem and there are metagags based on that, but it is the same cute girls each of a different trope sitting around in a room doing nothing for 20 minutes. It's just so front-loaded with referential and metatextual humour that it just gets really tiring at times. Add in the angsty drama stuff from the first season, and you really have no idea what the show is going for.

I've heard this before, but then I actually watched a couple of episodes of the show, and yeah, no way is it not actually a harem show. No way.

http://natalie.mu/music/news/87669

So, remember when I mentioned that there would be 4 different versions of the Aku no Hana OP, with 3 mystery vocalists? Looks like they announced it all finally. Each of the different versions are themed to one of the main characters, with the fourth one being themed to the city itself. The lyrics will be different as well, but I think they're supposed to sort of create one full single together. Anyway... here it is.

"Aku no Hana -Takao Kasuga-" Vocal: Noko (from Shinsei Kamattechan)
"Aku no Hana -Sawa Nakamura-" Vocal: Mariko Goto
"Aku no Hana -Nanako Saeki-" Vocal: Shiho Nanba
"Aku no Hana -Kiryu City in Gunma-" Vocal: Asako Shinosaki (from Uchuujin)

Aside from Shinosaki, who I looked up when they first announced she was producing the OP theme, I have no fucking idea who the other vocalists are, so anyway I went on Youtube to pull some links to some of their songs. Yeah... erm... this sure is going to be special! Lol. Enjoy.

Noko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzpE6d3c7PY
Mariko Goto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xOtdT0sxw
Shiho Nanba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJf6EB59tq4
Asako Shinosaki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuYcl_O8_6o

I have no idea what to expect from this and I couldn't be more excited!

Stuart444

Ah, this anime season is going to be good. Photo Kano, Railgun S and Oreimo season 2. I didn't watch much over the last season (though I now have Little Busters to catch up on since it's almost done. Might also watch all of Puchimas) but I'll be hanging out in the anime thread a lot this season :D

Wait, this is Higurashi, right? The same Higurashi where everyone's going insane and getting murdered and shit.?

Even in that first season there were moments where the group was having fun ...
Part of higurashi is also the fun the characters have when they are having fun ( outside of all the crazy sh*t happening ) : club activities

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, that's why it is so insidious - it speaks directly to the audience that wants to be enabled.

I don't really understand this enabling stuff. Are people that sadlife that they have to vicariously live through a shitty bland anime character? I like my life as it is. Dont need to live it through somebody else.

Welcome to the NHK! - 8

Misaki is so cute! Is this gonna turn into a romantic series now? Because I'm feeling okay with that.

Yes, she is. She is absolutely precious. Misaki is a sweetheart. Well in the anime anyway. I hear she's different in the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom