• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

ispM2emrAQI8z.jpg

Last episode tomorrow guys...

Watched the second episode.

This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see when I started the show. I have not been disappointed. Also that trailer for the show was misleading.

Very mysterious and interesting, and I like the pacing. Clearly some things are starting to unfold. I'm really looking forward to the third episode. Definitely not a school anime.

The development is that she seems to be a vessel of possession for a 'higher being.' Sagara Miyuki is starting to respect her a little bit more it seems, or at least is in awe of the reality faced before him. I still don't have much sympathy for him. He's a pretty big jerk. The new development also being what appears to be a conspiracy of evil spirits. Which I'm extremely curious about what it unfolds into.
Was so odd reading your previous comments on the direction the show would take considering it was made while two episodes had already aired. I thought the trailers have been on mark for the show, was sure they did hint that there was actual magicks and such and not really a super school life show, then again they are on a school trip and are still debating transferring schools, really curious events unfolding thanks to the mysterious background antagonistic entity in the series.

Apparently Akira Senju confirmed Valvrave is a 2-cour show on the Nico program "THE JASRAC SHOW!". If it's really 2-cour, then Sony Music probably has a few more songs lined up for it, since the first cour already has 3 theme songs. Lol.

Easily the best news to wake up too this morning. I have a feeling that it will be really good.

7Th

I just realized... why the fuck aren't Aiura or Muromi featured by the OP? They have more promise than most of the stuff that was actually featured.

cajunator

Banned
GJ BU 01

:cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun

Theonik

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita SPECIAL
I had missed this show. Shame we probably won't be getting any more than this.
Fairies look a lot more serious when viewed from their perspective.
A pretty neat little story ending was a bit sour I would say but whatever!
what happened to those 40 points? And that's pretty dangerous for fairy technology I must say.

Milamber

GJ BU 01

:cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun

ibmZwETFRX5aE3.gif
ibmZwETFRX5aE3.gif
ibmZwETFRX5aE3.gif
ibmZwETFRX5aE3.gif
ibmZwETFRX5aE3.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
GJ BU 01

I need to watch more of this soon.

*Zel casts WatchMore*
*Zel is watching more*
*GJ Bu casts Hnnnng*
*Zel takes 500 points of damage*
*Thou art dead*

wonzo

Banned
Pom Poko

It's not often a movie can leave me as awestruck as this did in its climatic scene but leave it to Takahata and Studio Ghibli to do just that. The entire premise of these shape-shifting Raccoons (AND THEIR GLORIOUS BALLS) fighting off the encroaching Human urban development which is essentially destroying their livelihood is brilliant in and of itself. The execution however makes this all the more amazing thanks to the outstandingly creative and gob-smacking animation on display, the best examples of this being the entirity of Operation Goiblin and the climactic scene with
the remaining Raccoons combining their powers together to shapeshift their formar land back to how it was for one last time.
The way this all comes together with the narration throughout the film at the end just gives it this really optimistic feel to it even after all the hardships and sad passings these noble raccoons have faced over the years. This is hands down one of the best Ghibli movies I've seen and I've seen all of them except for Only Yesterday (which is next).

6/5 TANUKI BALLS

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh and I have to say it is nice to see a nice OP for once.

And Gakkatsu S2!!! Why did no one tell me?

Oh and in the last thread when Cajun said "The garden of rainbows." why did no one correct him and say "The garden of lilies"? I'm like the worst one here at Japanese and even I know that pun.

so much shows/shit. Now I work, I can't firehawk every show (probably). Seems like space is a common thing this season, cool.

Oh didn't even make the wall this time. Weeeee. off the needle. Will be gone sooner or later. :>

CUTICLE TANTEI INABA - END

Cuticle%20Tantei%20Inaba%20-%2012.jpg

How lewd !
This serie wasn't bad..it was silly , funny yet at times it tried to be dark and disturbing ..i would love to get more of the plot if they do another season but i mainly enjoyed the characters that were just crazy enough for some laughs.

Give me another season !

Kazzy

Such a whimsical tale, that really manages to tug at your heart-strings towards the end, which I think speaks to how well it manages to strike that balance.

I think I need to watch it again to properly rank it, though, because I watched the entire Ghibli catalog in the space of about a month. Pom Poko was dropped pretty much in the center of that, with me not really knowing what to expect of it. I ostensibly used it as a bridge between the more serious material, which was probably unfair of me.

I'd still vouch for your recommendation.

I've seen and I've seen all of them except for Only Yesterday (which is next).

Get ready...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is there any :SDBurton in MLP?
Ponies are not allowed in the Garden, so even if there were it would not fly in my book. #gavel
Taking it out of the queue then.
Don't misunderstand SDBurton. Ponies aren't banned for their inability to love across gender lines, but because of SDBurton's own biases towards their status as not being fully human. Anthro characters are also all banned from his dystopian garden.

Watched the first episode of Otona Joshi no Anime Time.

It is certainly a mature anime in multiple respects. Like many anime are Slice of Life comedies about schoolkids. This anime is more like a Slice of Life drama about adults. Very moody.

Sort of one of those hard realities of the average adult life where things didn't turn out quite where they were expected in one's youth. Lots and lots of reflection. Lots and lots of inner monologue. Lots and lots of bits and pieces of the balance of everyday life.

I like it in some ways, though in other ways it makes me realize why anime about schoolkids is so popular. Apparently a lot of people associate adulthood with this kind of melancholy. Adult anime doesn't have to look like this and could be idealized every bit as much as the silly schoolkid comedies.

It's good as an anime for those who are open minded to this sort of thing. The characterization is superb, everything is realistic, and mature, and there's a consistent ambient mood, which allows you to slowly but surely soak in the perspective of a pretty realistic adult woman. With some flaws, maybe a bit on the depressed side.

It's definitely not going to put you in a good mood. And it seems like the type of anime for those who are feeling down and want to ride out depressing with a moody anime. What I cannot deny is that it is a realistic portrayal of the adult life of many people. Not quite what I was in the mood for today, but certainly what I expected.

I feel a little sorry for her. Her position isn't uncommon but still confusing and stressful. She's married to a man she no longer loves, the man she still might have had available is not, though is showing unfaithful, poorly veiled interest toward her, she unexpectedly comes back to her family after disappointing them by leaving, she wants a divorce, but doesn't want to disappoint her family yet again by telling them or by going through with it. And worst yet, she clearly has a binge and purge eating disorder. Which is likely a psychological reaction to her romantic angst.

Oh and does she have romantic angst. It is painful to watch her every time she smiles because you know it is a lie. A lot of women are in her exact position. But I still feel a bit sorry for her because she's clearly suffering on some level.

I'm going to go ahead and watch the next two episodes right now. But it's good that I don't have a full 12 to finish in one setting because I don't think I could. I need something more cheerful immediately after these three episodes. This anime is a downer.

Cwarrior

Pom Poko

It's not often a movie can leave me as awestruck as this did in its climatic scene but leave it to Takahata and Studio Ghibli to do just that. The entire premise of these shape-shifting Raccoons (AND THEIR GLORIOUS BALLS) fighting off the encroaching Human urban development which is essentially destroying their livelihood is brilliant in and of itself. The execution however makes this all the more amazing thanks to the outstandingly creative and gob-smacking animation on display, the best examples of this being the entirity of Operation Goiblin and the climactic scene with
the remaining Raccoons combining their powers together to shapeshift their formar land back to how it was for one last time.
The way this all comes together with the narration throughout the film at the end just gives it this really optimistic feel to it even after all the hardships and sad passings these noble raccoons have faced over the years. This is hands down one of the best Ghibli movies I've seen and I've seen all of them except for Only Yesterday (which is next).

6/5 TANUKI BALLS

m1C1E.gif

I watched this last year and I have to say it's the best anime movie I ever saw, I though it was better then any of the movies I seen before it,never have I had this much fun watching an anime movie.

Sadly it doesn't get the recognition it deserves thanks to it being fun,whimsical and stars a punch of raccoon instead of being some slow paced edgy pretentious drama about emo characters, that's full of plot wholes.

Will watch

Yuyushiki
Aiura
Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
Oregairu

Still have a TON of backlog stuff to go through. Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb, Acchi Kocchi, A-Channel, hopefully K-On!, and probably more.

Hope you enjoy A-Channel, Tooru is one of the loveliest things in anime.

GJ BU 01

This is how it was meant to be.

sonicmj1

Wandering Son 12

Well, it had to end somewhere.

When a show is given this number of episodes to adapt a manga that's still in progress, the studio has to find a spot to end it that resolves most of what happened in the show, while still leaving suggestions of future things to come. And that's basically what happens here. They use montage to cover a huge amount of ground and quickly get us to the culture festival once more. This show sometimes gets more characterization out of a distance shot and a closeup than other shows get out of reams of dialogue.

i0DR4DOhLNNSI.jpg

This show can be adorable sometimes.

I'm kind of out of things to say about it. Even though I sorta wish
the show was less wishy-washy about whether or not Nitori wants to become a girl
, I still left it hopeful for everyone.

Wandering Son not only manages to tackle a difficult subject with remarkable sensitivity, it also handles adolescent relationships and growing up with an unrivaled level of authenticity and craft. Its cast of middle-schoolers are more recognizably human and multifaceted than any other cast of anime characters I can recall. It's sad to see this not get the incredible success (or at least critical awareness) it deserved.

ibrquIJYzq56UW.jpg

Anna also deserves more appreciation. I like how she hides her mouth with her hat this entire scene. She has so much trouble expressing her feelings sometimes.

(I bet it also makes the scene much cheaper to animate).

It doesn't slam emotions in your face like most school-based dramas and romances, which I guess might leave some people bored. Even I sometimes get so used to being told what to feel by the shows I watch that I get disoriented if that doesn't happen. That shoudln't be relevant. An anime made this well shouldn't be ignored. It should be seen by everyone.

Top notch stuff that belongs in the canon of good things we recommend to people who want good anime.

Milamber

Well they do have 1 more year of high school right?
Oh yeah they needa win that love live thing too.

Is this franchise based off an arcade game or something?

It's a mixed media project by some magazine with collaboration with $unrise and Lanti$. Manga, music and music videos were created for their fictional characters and only recently an anime was made out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom