• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching it just for her.

You, sir, are a paragon of good taste. Vol 7 of the light novel came out last week and she made her glorious reappearance:
8206979389mu11.jpg
This may also be of interest.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ah, SDBurton, here we part ways

It doesn't have to be this way Jintor. Come baaaack! :(

Well they do have 1 more year of high school right?
Oh yeah they needa win that love live thing too.

Is this franchise based off an arcade game or something?

I thought it was based off a manga, but I have no clue. :lol

==========================

Strike Witches - 01

Decided to re-watch the first season before taking on the second as it's been awhile and can't remember most of the characters. I remember her though. Yes I do.

It's a mixed media project by some magazine with collaboration with $unrise and Lanti$. Manga, music and music videos were created for their fictional characters and only recently an anime was made out of them.

Ahhh okie.

Jesus so many idol shit to chose from in Japan. How does one choose? It's like applying for credit cards.

jbug617

Banned
GJ BU 01

:cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun

Yes. GJ BU was a pleasant surprise this season.

Finished the second episode of Otona Joshi no Anime Time.

Gender roles everywhere.

This is kind of like the inverse of the last episode. In the last episode, you had a working woman who loses love and is a single mother. In this episode, you have a woman who find a new man through her traditional gender roles as a housewife.

You're going to hear the words cooking, housewife, and arranged marriage a lot in this episode.

If anything, it is another fantastic example of why arranged marriages aren't good. I have to say, I heard so much about cooking for a man that I cringed a lot. There's also a strong theme of an old maid/unwanted woman here. Though at least in this case she gets a man. So it's a happy ending, kind of.

And the frustrating housewife meme carries on, ugh.

Well, with all of these fairly traditionally feminine women in the show so far, I have a kind of hankering for a tomboy! At least the woman from the preview of the next episode seems to have some spunk.

Wandering Son 12

Top notch stuff that belongs in the canon of good things we recommend to people who want good anime.

Glad you liked it. When it aired it quickly ranked up to be one of my favorite shows ever so more people watching and appreciating it warms my heart.

Naruto SD 51 (END)
sasuke_v_lee_in_naruto_sd_ep_51_by_tristtrist-d5zbsvb.gif

Episode 51 will forever be its best episode. The whole first half of the anime was so amazing animated, to think they even blew the animation budget in the episode itself (the first five minutes mainly) going from epic Sasuke to poor Sasuke.
I loved when SD Sasuke used Kirin and that fire move to completely devestate the village and the various attacks employed by the other characters, Rasengan, Fang over Fang etc.
Definitely gave me one of the most memorable moments in the Naruto franchise.

2nd half was funny
Yamato finally got a speaking role after 51 episodes

Ill miss naruto sd, easily, 8 / 10, as anything with Sasuke and Naruto could never be ungood. ED 1 Twinkle Twinkle is the best ED.

Westlo

Wow @ Love Live's sales, pretty much kills any chance of an Accel World sequel though yeah lol?

Horizon 1 20k+
Horizon 2 20k+
Love Live 20k+
Accel World 9k

Why would Sunrise make Studio 8 work on Accel World over the other two with sales like that? I mean if you're going to pump out sequels might as well work on the ones that sell better.

Also this Hyouka bgm, the first one you hear in the anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khJHeEYVnoY

Original piece?

duckroll

Wow @ Love Live's sales, pretty much kills any chance of an Accel World sequel though yeah lol?

Horizon 1 20k+
Horizon 2 20k+
Love Live 20k+
Accel World 9k

Why would Sunrise make Studio 8 work on Accel World over the other two with sales like that? I mean if you're going to pump out sequels might as well work on the ones that sell better.

Studio 8 worked on Horizon, Accel World, and Nerawareta Gakuen all at the same time. They're a very efficient studio. Why work on one sequel when you can work on three? :p

Fox318

Naruto SD 51 (END)
sasuke_v_lee_in_naruto_sd_ep_51_by_tristtrist-d5zbsvb.gif

Episode 51 will forever be its best episode. The whole first half of the anime was so amazing animated, to think they even blew the animation budget in the episode itself (the first five minutes mainly) going from epic Sasuke to poor Sasuke.
I loved when SD Sasuke used Kirin and that fire move to completely devestate the village and the various attacks employed by the other characters, Rasengan, Fang over Fang etc.
Definitely gave me one of the most memorable moments in the Naruto franchise.

2nd half was funny
Yamato finally got a speaking role after 51 episodes

Ill miss naruto sd, easily, 8 / 10, as anything with Sasuke and Naruto could never be ungood. ED 1 Twinkle Twinkle is the best ED.

Totally with you except the whole Sasuke bit

Shergal

Studio 8 worked on Horizon, Accel World, and Nerawareta Gakuen all at the same time. They're a very efficient studio. Why work on one sequel when you can work on three? :p

They could do 2 sequels + create another 20k+ property, seeing how it seems so easy for Sunrise.

Shergal

At any rate, wasn't Love Live half price and with an event ticket for the first volume? I don't think the final average will be even near 20k.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just wanted to chime in that its a really gorgeous OP.

Looking forward to Railgun, Oreimo S2 and MLJP. Not looking forward to whatever shows duckroll is hyping this season.

duckroll

Accel World S2 will probably happen because the production committee is pretty invested in the franchise. 2 PS3/PSP games, a 2-cour anime series, various merchandising, live events, expanding mindshare for the light novel sales, etc. As long as there's money to be made, they'll make it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Should get around to checking out Love Live soon.

Also so glad Tamako bombed. Worst effort KyoAni has ever put out both in terms of quality and in terms of aspiration. They have done much better, they should do better, and these are the sales they deserve for something so terrible.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hooray spring season. Super excited for Flowers of Evil and Oreimo 2. Will probably watch Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W at some point, but I need to finish the first season yet. Oh, and new time slot for Space Bros.

Westlo

Should get around to checking out Love Live soon.

Also so glad Tamako bombed. Worst effort KyoAni has ever put out both in terms of quality and in terms of aspiration. They have done much better, they should do better, and these are the sales they deserve for something so terrible.

Bu-bu-bu dat KyoAni storefront sales!!!!

*lol didn't even know Tamako had came out*

survivor

Banned
Reading the OP and the shows listed, these are the shows I will watch at least one episode before probably dropping most of them

My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected
MLP
Photo Kano
Red Data Girl

Maybe I will watch one of these mecha shows, but I don't know which one since they all look the same to me.

PsionBolt

Strike Witches - 03

Yoshika's fascination with Lynette's breasts is adorable. :)

Good lord, that second image is dangerous. Those are helicopter blades attached to the legs of the person on top of you! Look a little woried!

Also, Yoshika and Miyuki (Smile Precure) share a VA, and now I can't bring myself to watch Strike Witches any longer. I just got the movie too...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Less effort than Chuunibyou that consisted of an MC that was just an amalgamation of all the popular traits of females MCs from the previous seasons?

Dragoshi1

I'm the only one who enjoys Tamako Market? :(

I love the interactions, the VA work(especially Tamako's), and I'm a fan of the humor shown thus far.

And the adorably cynical Kanna is amazing, deserves a spin-off.

Man, looking at the list in the first post just drives down how mediocre this season looks from the outset. I'll at least give Shingeki a chance due to how good the manga is, but unless this season has a bunch of surprise hits, it will be one of the weakest spring seasons in years.

I love the interactions, the VA work(especially Tamako's), and I'm a fan of the humor shown thus far.

And the adorably cynical Kanna is amazing, deserves a spin-off.

I was quite sure Tamako Market is considered pretty good in the context of animegaf.

I personally think it only finally took off in ep 11 with the first episodes feeling aimless and unpolished considering the other anime from the makers involved with its only real highlight being the swimming boys moment.

Good lord, that second image is dangerous. Those are helicopter blades attached to the legs of the person on top of you! Look a little woried!

Also, Yoshika and Miyuki (Smile Precure) share a VA, and now I can't bring myself to watch Strike Witches any longer. I just got the movie too...

4Vcptue.jpg

I love seiyuu fanart.

Shergal

Michiko e Hatchin 2-9

So far so good. In some ways it reminds me of Cowboy Bebop and other shows of the style that revolve around slick episodic events depicting a small cast in a variety of different settings and places. Michiko's basic archetype is even kinda similar to Spike's, in that they're both byronic heroes who already have gone through a lot, and a huge amount of the "main" plot of the show is directly tied to their backstory and past acquaintances. Of course, besides those small details, Michiko and her show have a unique and strong personality that feels very much fresh.

I can't get enough of the setting. The construction of the world these characters travel is done with a lot of detail and confidence, and it goes well above the stereotyped view I was expecting of this Brazilian-inspired universe. Of course, I've personally never been in a favela or Brazil, but living in a neighbour country with many aspects in common (we have very similar "villas miseria" for slums here) I can totally buy the presentation and that's commendable.
Some stuff is exaggerated or romanticized, yes (big crime syndicates like Monstro in M&H don't really work like that anymore), but it gives for a much stronger atmosphere and a very entertaining show that has yet to lose steam.

As for the titular characters, their dynamic is strong, if a bit tiring. Michiko's law-of-street rash behaviour VS the more subdued and idealistic Hana; yes, it's good. Gives room for a lot of interesting interactions with a wide range from comedy to heartwarming. Maybe it's too early to judge it, but the lack of any other strong dimension to their companionship sticks out, and I don't think it's very healthy for the show when the moments where they're doing their stuff alone have been consistently better than their interactions, save from very few cases.

The production values are really strong, and of course this being Sayo Yamamoto a decent amount of talent has been called in to participate in the show and making it stand above most productions. From Watanabe with music to Yuasa doing the ED, and many, many good animators, it's really a treat of a show. I've read some comments about the production facing difficulties in the second half, but I hope it's not severe because such a series doesn't deserve that.

Kazzy

No, it has generally been well-received.

I personally had a few misgivings about it a couple of weeks back, but I think that speaks more to continually critiquing something on a weekly basis. It's much easier to assess it as a whole, and I was just getting a little frustrated with the meandering focus towards the middle of its run, when it looked as though it was continually establishing new threads, with little bearing towards the overarching plot.

It's probably no coincidence that my enjoyment has usually been in direct relation to how much focus Tamako herself receives too, seeing as she is the weakest character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom