• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit:

jBnNBRZ.jpg

Does Sugita ever change his jacket? He sure love to wear that jacket.

I imagine his wardrobe is a bunch of jackets and pants that all look vaguely similar to each other.

fertygo

Majestic Prince - 08

Yeah, this are much entertaining show when its just robot wrecking shit.
I guess this also advantage with using CGI instead hand drawn when you can put 10+ minute of battle footage in a episode, cool stuff.

Wish the mood can be more consistent though, throwing lame joke here and there just screwing the intensity.

Jex

Majestic Prince - 08

Yeah, this are much entertaining show when its just robot wrecking shit.
I guess this also advantage with using CGI instead hand drawn when you can put 10+ minute of battle footage in a episode, cool stuff.

Wish the mood can be more consistent though, throwing lame joke here and there just screwing the intensity.

You could always do that with traditional animation.

fertygo

You could always do that with traditional animation.

No?

At most they being creative with spending that few minute of footage. Even for classic like DYRL.

That's the art on its own.. I can't point many episode of mech anime that I can see 10+ min of unique footage for mecha.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 1

If this show did not receive rave reviews at the time of its release, I have no words to express my surprise. This show is already a goddamn visual masterpiece, and the Count comes off as so incredibly sinister, yet charismatically magnetic at the same time.

Oh yes, I will enjoy this.

And is it just me, or does it seem like Franz is gay for Albert? He took that "What are you, my girlfriend?" barb just a wee bit too personally.

I'm gonna join you on this tonight, more than likely.

/XX/

What are some of the better romance animes out there? The only anime in that genre that I actually liked was Bokura ga Ita, which is odd, because it didn't even have a conclusive ending, and generally that's the exact reason why I dislike so many of the others.

But yeah, any recent additions to the romance scene? I'm a sap.
Not recent, but you said you only liked one series, and... have you seen His and Her Circumstances? The first half of it remains to me as a so sweet look into adolescent love, after all this time.

Man that Time of Eve cover is terrible.
I personally like the simple look with a clear motive, but well, there was the Special Edition version. Clean design as well although with a sight on it as warm as that mug of coffee!

Jex

No?

At most they being creative with spending that 3-4 minute of footage. Even for classic like DYRL.

That's the art on its own..

Firstly, DYRL is a movie, not a series, and it certainly has more than 3-4 minutes of action within it.

Secondly, a number of mecha series have had fairly lengthy action scenes. VOTOMS, in particular, is probably guilty of having far too much action compared to characterisation and narrative.

Patlabor 2: The Movie

Now this is an Oshii film, even more than the first movie was. The light-hearted comedy that still showed up some in the first film is practically gone, the regular series cast is almost entirely sidelined aside from Gotoh and Nagumo, and there's barely anything that could be called action and even less Patlabors. Instead, we have an extremely meditative, deliberately paced film, filled with cityscapes, long philosophical monologues/dialogues about the nature of Tokyo and war, brooding atmospheric music, a bit of bewailing the state of modern youth, a basset hound, and birds, birds everywhere. Its themes deserve more reflection before I could make extensive comments on them, but I noticed that some of them are things Oshii would explore again in Ghost in the Shell. Such as how easy it is to feed false information to people via technological manipulation and the confusion that sows, or the natural distrust different branches of the government have for each other and how that gets in the way of them doing their duty to the public.

Amazing layouts throughout - I noticed Satoshi Kon's name as one of the layout artists - and lots of striking visual images. There were hardly any shots I could label as standard. Perhaps due to its later production in 1993, perhaps due to the aging of the characters, almost certainly due to Oshii's changing focus, the character designs are greatly subdued from the 1980s originals, with their propensity to humorous deformation. In their realism, they almost felt a step towards Okiura's ultra-realism in Jin-Roh. Gotoh in particular had some powerful facial expressions, especially when he can't take it anymore and, in a rare moment for his character, blows up in rage.

Overall, it's a film that leaves me not entirely clear on its meaning, yet knowing there is meaning packed into every frame. That's one of the greatest signs of a masterpiece there is.

fertygo

Firstly, DYRL is a movie, not a series, and it certainly has more than 3-4 minutes of action within it.

Secondly, a number of mecha series have had fairly lengthy action scenes. VOTOMS, in particular, is probably guilty of having far too much action compared to characterisation and narrative.

Certainly not give a feeling of "lengthy" though, the final battle are like 5 minute top.. big portion of it are pop singer footage, but they effective and awesome and with some best cut ever.

I'm not saying more lengthy = good at all. chill..

I need to check Votoms some time.

/XX/

Has this being posted earlier and I missed it? Strange:

A New Anime Series is the Focus of Attention! Studio Trigger Shares Their Thoughts on the Work [1/3]
http://otakumode.com/news/5192b2825...Trigger-Shares-Their-Thoughts-on-the-Work-1-3

Not many new details, except for their proclaimed focus on using Internet like a stronger distribution and promotion platform for them, as one of their initial objectives to start the studio. I think that's really showing lately, guys. I thank them for that.

Looking forward to the following parts of this interview.

I like that special edition cover a lot more. Although I feel the actual cover art may have worked better as the slip cover as well. But each look quite nice.
Yeah. Either way I see it, I like them both... sucks for completionists/collectors! :-D

Seriously people rank your shows, otherwise I have to read what you write to extract the crucial information.

I know it's a bit late but here's my top 7!

1. Fairy Tail - Despite the hate it gets on MangaGAF, the anime somehow takes everything bad about the manga and converts it into something amazing with great voice-acting, a god-tier OST, fun characters, and very good pacing that makes this an overall pleasure to watch.

2. Code Geass - It's always fun to see the kinds of anime where the main character's working in the shadows and always pisses his opponents off with his tactics. Code Geass does a nice job of this.

3. Black Jack - The main character is like Batman if he was a doctor (well sort of). Every episode is a touching adventure with this character. I gotta rewatch this and post my thoughts here.

4. Nanoha A's - Any show that actually makes you
care about what the villains are going through is good in my book.

5. Madoka Magica - Take a concept suited for little girls and throw in Batman Dark Knight levels of darkness and you have Madoka Magica.

6. Gargantia - The theme of a war-trained space marine being taught the meaning of peace by being exposed to everyday life is something I've never seen done in anime before, and it does that well here.

7. Clannad After Story - This people, is what you get when you take a MOE filled anime with barely any story and actually put good heart and relatable emotion into it!

Narag

Kannazuki no Miko 01:

NlEplaQ.jpg

am i kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

These fucking uniforms. These eyes. ANIME

Okay, so I was about ready to bail on this a few minutes in when it was shaping up to be an awful Strawberry Panic-esque 1% school drama full of suffocatingly-polite girls all saying GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU while they all quietly fawn over some oujosama demigoddess. I seriously hate this kind of premise as much as the most derivative otaku LNshit, and I was ready to give up when Himeko was so perfectly emblematic of the above character type that she apologized to a rose bush for taking a shortcut through it.

Fortunately, I stuck with it. I mean, I knew that there was going to be some kind of sueprnatural element because of the
shrine on the moon
at the beginning and everything, but I knew absolutely nothing else about the series going in. Nothing. Expectations weren't just zero, they were negative at this point. So, then, imagine my awe when, at the halfway point,
THE SKY GOES BLACK, THERE ARE GIANT BOULDERS FLOATING IN THE SKY, THE BISHOUNEN LOVE INTEREST GETS POSSESSED BY A DEMON, TELEPORTS SOMEWHERE AND PULLS A SWORD OUT OF A STONE, AND WINDS UP IN THE COCKPIT OF A MECHA. A MECHA! THIS SHOW IS A FUCKING MECHA! I CAN'T EVEN.

And not just a mecha, but a really really cheap-looking 2D mecha with awful design sense, which under normal circumstances would be a complaint but it's totally in line with the QUALITY aesthetic of the show. It's already going to be impossible for me to take anything in this show seriously, and I'm fine with the way it looks reflecting that. Yami, for instance, wouldn't have been nearly as endearing without the extreme uguuuuu faces and janky animation.

There's not much else to say at this point, but if I can make any sense out of this, I guess that there's some kind of crazy-ass mecha war between Catholics and Shinto or something like that, and, of course, a SHRINE on the MOON. And two girls having to fulfill their DESTINIES. Sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen. Yes, I am on board.

Dat happy birthday

cajunator

Banned
MARBLE SCREW

FWP would have been more interesting with more than two attacks. Made it seem very stale.

[Futari wa Precure] 17

Nagisa plucking dat love.

That was a very enjoyable episode. I liked the bait and switch with the premise hinting at further Nagisa x Fuji-P developments but instead
turning it around and making it about Kiriya's budding love with Honoka.
Too bad NTR is not a popular genre with Precure circles.

Wait, did Toei seriously sell LOVE GAUGING toys to little girls back in the day? Oh, Toei...

Oh yes, they did! I remember laughing so hard at how blatant they were screaming BUY OUR SHIT in that episode.

Oh, the English Sword Art Online site updated with the box illustrations:

Amusingly enough, the original links now 404 out, a clear sign that this wasn't supposed to publicly go live yet. This was definitely supposed to be their secret Anime Boston announcement tomorrow.

Art box 2 is the only one worth collecting from the looks of it. To do so would require supporting this show, however, so that's out.

Kannazuki no Miko 01:

NlEplaQ.jpg

am i kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Okay, so I was about ready to bail on this a few minutes in when it was shaping up to be an awful Strawberry Panic-esque 1% school drama full of suffocatingly-polite girls all saying GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU, GOKIGENYOU while they all quietly fawn over some oujosama demigoddess. I seriously hate this kind of premise as much as the most derivative otaku LNshit, and I was ready to give up when Himeko was so perfectly emblematic of the above character type that she apologized to a rose bush for taking a shortcut through it.

Fortunately, I stuck with it. I mean, I knew that there was going to be some kind of sueprnatural element because of the
shrine on the moon
at the beginning and everything, but I knew absolutely nothing else about the series going in. Nothing. Expectations weren't just zero, they were negative at this point. So, then, imagine my awe when, at the halfway point,
THE SKY GOES BLACK, THERE ARE GIANT BOULDERS FLOATING IN THE SKY, THE BISHOUNEN LOVE INTEREST GETS POSSESSED BY A DEMON, TELEPORTS SOMEWHERE AND PULLS A SWORD OUT OF A STONE, AND WINDS UP IN THE COCKPIT OF A MECHA. A MECHA! THIS SHOW IS A FUCKING MECHA! I CAN'T EVEN.

And not just a mecha, but a really really cheap-looking 2D mecha with awful design sense, which under normal circumstances would be a complaint but it's totally in line with the QUALITY aesthetic of the show. It's already going to be impossible for me to take anything in this show seriously, and I'm fine with the way it looks reflecting that. Yami, for instance, wouldn't have been nearly as endearing without the extreme uguuuuu faces and janky animation.

There's not much else to say at this point, but if I can make any sense out of this, I guess that there's some kind of crazy-ass mecha war between Catholics and Shinto or something like that, and, of course, a SHRINE on the MOON. And two girls having to fulfill their DESTINIES. Sounds like a trainwreck waiting to happen. Yes, I am on board.

This show might blow your mind. Like into smithereens. I look forward to it. Im talking about metaphorically of course. Don't want anything to happen to Mad-kun :(

GOKIGENYOU

Where are your impressions about the awesome OP and ED?

It's been years since I watched the show, and they are still my favorites.

KOTOKO <3

KOTOKO makes such great dance music. Very energetic. I even have a concert DVD of hers.

Ultimadrago

Oreimo S2 - 5

ahahaha1vuav.gif

Oreimo S2 - 6

ahahaha1vuav.gif

Stating that character drama has never been Oreimo's forte would be kind and the "revelation" people were making a hoopla about around its airing could be seen miles away (in the first season). Nonetheless, these episodes were jam-packed awkwardness with the teenage ham-fisted, poorly-written gusto I could only imagine perfectly matches the source material (though I really don't care whether or not that's the case). Hilarious stuff.

FWP would have been more interesting with more than two attacks. Made it seem very stale.

Probably one of my biggest issues with FWP was that, and it screamed TOEI BUDGET because hardly any episode has interesting combat. It makes no sense considering they're the most action oriented Cures due to lacking much magic, and yet the budget doesn't match with it. Might get into it more with all the other series once I finish up Smile.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
OH no way they were gonna stay together . If it was possible it would have been a total disgrace in term fo story since that is what is the problem in the first place.

The solution that was found is sufficient.

One can dream. ;_;

Kannazuki no Miko 01:

NlEplaQ.jpg

am i kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

shrine on the moon
MadPierrot what are you doing, MadPierrot stahp.

Smile LoveCure 36
Conflicted, not something I'd want to follow up, for once,

Least favorite episode, for sure.

List comes first then actual text:

01. Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
02. Uta no&#9734;Prince-sama&#9834; Maji Love 2000%
03. Hataraku Maou-sama!
04. Karneval
05. Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z
06. Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
07. Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
08. Aiura
09. Ketsuekigata-kun!
10. Sparrow's Hotel
11. RDG: Red Data Girl
12. Devil Survivor 2 The Animation
13. Cyclops Shoujo Saipuu

Yahari
Definitely an interesting show mostly due to its stellar main character. He's blunt, he knows his flaw and I do like how it isn't turning into some generic harem or filled with harem antics. Instead, it does provide a nice insight on human interactions and I look forward to watching it every week. Also, best girl.

UtaPri 2
Idol boys return and back better than ever. The music is still top-notch and the show is still just as fun pushing the otome lead back and letting the boys shine.

Maou-sama!
Another great show that has a great lead. I do like toss fantasy overlord into the modern world and his whole attitude towards it is great.

Karneval
The leads are pretty average but I definitely do like the support cast. They have great potential and everyone with super powers is pretty fun.

Azazel-san Z
Hitting and missing with some of the stories but still the evil demonic silliness that I like.

Muromi-san
I do like how much I am learning about the sea, ocean and myths here.

Hentai Prince
It's amusing and entertaining but at the same time, it's a JC Staff LN adaptation. I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Aiura
Still a show about nothing but enhanced by a Sugita teacher.

Blood-type moe
Interesting about learning about blood type stereotypes.

Sparrow's Hotel
Interesting again. Some good jokes but I am looking forward to seeing how this art shift effects it.

Red Data Girl
Very slow. It has hints that it could be good but it still hasn't shown me that.

Devil Survivor 2
I'm really uninterested in the story so far and the cast they keep featuring. They should really put more focus on my husbandos.

Cyclops Shoujo Saipuu
Incest jokes.

CorvoSol

I'm gonna join you on this tonight, more than likely.

It's good. The animation's all artsy and colorful and even the conspicuous CGI looks nice. The story begins with Albert and Franz attending Carnival, which is at least a third of the way into the book, but a good place to start if you're treating Albert as the protagonist. And the Count, oh boy the Count is just as magnetic as in the books.

Seriously people rank your shows, otherwise I have to read what you write to extract the crucial information.

I did this like, several days ago, so I'd have to go back twenty to thirty pages to find it.

Joe Molotov

Mid-Season Ranking of Stuff I'm Still Watching (Subject to Change Without Notice):

1. Severing Crime Edge
A crazy, smutty mess that I just want to hug and take home with me. Fetish checklist: Erotic haircutting, erotic needle injections, yuri wincest, lolicon, BDSM, auto-erotic asphyxiation, ???. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's a comedy, most of the times it's goofy, I love it.

2. Muromi-san
It's like one of those two minute gag shows, stretched out into 12 minutes, but still just as funny.

3. Yuyushiki
Cute girls doing nothing.

4. Valvrave the Liberator
This show brings the crazy, and daddy likes.

5. Attack on Titan
I haven't read the manga, so I still don't know where this is going, but I enjoy watching every week to find out.

6. Hataraku Mao-sama
This show is funny, I like the characters, and I like the concept.

7. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
I'm not as high on this show now as I was during the first few eps, but it's still pretty good.

8. Zettai Boei Leviatan
Cute girls doing RPG things.

9. Date a Live
The appearances of yandere Clock-chan has suddenly increased my interest in this otherwise, let's be honest, pretty bad show.

10. Majestic Prince
This is a thing, I guess.

11. Oreimo 2
As is this.

Is Photo Kano similar to something like Amagami in any way?

Photo Kano was created by the same people who actually made Amagami.

The anime itself follows a much lesser, but similar pattern like Amagami

Ep 1-4 - Common Route, an introduction of sorts

Ep 5-6 - Niimi Route

And after Episode 7, the rest seem to be split into 1 episode each for the remaining girls.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Probably one of my biggest issues with FWP was that, and it screamed TOEI BUDGET because hardly any episode has interesting combat. It makes no sense considering they're the most action oriented Cures due to lacking much magic, and yet the budget doesn't match with it. Might get into it more with all the other series once I finish up Smile.

I don't know, I think Futari wa's combat is more of a mixed bag. It had a lot of battles that were more freeform in their design and execution than modern Precure, and so I enjoyed a lot of the combat in spite of the QUALITY. It's just that, like you say, Toei's stupidity in creating a magical girl series with an emphasis on hand-to-hand combat and then loading fights with poorly-animated, exaggerated, and just generally clownish acrobatics so that they wouldn't have to actually create or animate real battle choreography is what ruins things. Kids can't tell the difference etc etc.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Might come back and fill in some text here, but for now I'll just rank stuff.

1. Hataraku Maou-sama!

2. Yuyushiki

3. Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san

4. Aiura

5. Henneko

I don't know, I think Futari wa's combat is more of a mixed bag. It had a lot of battles that were more freeform in their design and execution than modern Precure, and so I enjoyed a lot of the combat in spite of the QUALITY. It's just that, like you say, Toei's stupidity in creating a magical girl series with an emphasis on hand-to-hand combat and then loading fights with poorly-animated, exaggerated, and just generally clownish acrobatics so that they wouldn't have to actually create or animate real battle choreography is what ruins things. Kids can't tell the difference etc etc.

Pretty much.

I recall how Futari wa's Cures were considered the strongest of everyone, but unfortunately you'd need movies to effectively gouge any of that since there's not exactly a great showing for any of em.

I don't know how some people can watch 10+ shows.
I feel overwhelmed if I watch more than 3 shows.

Dunno, I mean most of the shows I watch are currently airing so it's not like I will have a bunch of them unwatched at any one time (unless they start tossing most of the new shows on one day again).

Also helps that I keep a strict one backlog show at a time rule. Sure it's hard when I have to slough through stuff like Ugly ZeXal of UglyPhi Brain but it does keep me from being overwhelmed and dropping stuff left and right.

I don't know how some people can watch 10+ shows.

I just stick to a schedule and have them on my agenda. Stuff airing at 6am is extremely beneficial. Only things that throws it off is non simulcast show stuff and backlog stuff. Certainly easier than how I do manga and my preference for starting any new manga in my genres even if they only have one or two chapters translated...

Asobi ni Iku Yo 7

ibzTCy6bX9iHnn.jpg

Flat is justice

You call that a beach episode! There was barely any swimsuit play or nothin', you're better (worse?) than that Cat Planet Boobies. I'm no longer hypnotized by nekomimi as I have gotten used to the pandering, so I guess I'll just ride this show along until the end.

Mr.Jeff

I'm currently watching it on your (and others') recommendations, and it's definitely fantastic. It kinda feels like I don't know what to say about it though, which is why I haven't really said anything about it until now. It feels like such a well-done show--I never feel as if the show is going too slow or too fast and I've never asked myself what the purpose of a scene was--but I can't think of any specific thing to ramble about. Everything just feels so natural. I don't want to make posts saying, "I liked this episode. This is what happened in it," but I don't think I have anything more intelligent or interesting to say. :(
I can appreciate that. Due to how self contained they are, there's not really a lot to speculate or comment on beyond how well done the episode was or not. I tried back at the start of the season to go through a couple of the episodes pointing out some neat stuff in the episodes but when I read it back it seemed like I was trying to be overly pretentious for my own good and I deleted it all.

If I'm honest, I'm just happy to see a post of few words at the end saying if someone like it or not.

Kanon End
That was great, liked the ending better than Clannad to,
but why is
Makoto the only that doesn't have a happy ending
?
Isn't it hinted at that
the little fox continues on living even if Makoto herself doesn't come back.
I still have a secret liking of Kanon '06 despite not being enjoying Makoto or Ayu's characters all that much. Also Kanon Milf > Clannad Milf

- The anime label Flying Dog has registered the domain aokihagane.jp, thus hinting that an anime adaptation of Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio is in the works. Here's a summary of the manga's premise:
Man as much as I like the series, I do wonder how they would make an anime out of it. Where precisely would they stop and how much would they have to trim to make it actually work.

With regards to this season...
Gargantia - I stopped at ep 5 and really have absolutely no burning desire to go back to it. There's some interest in Ledo and Amy but I'm not enthralled by the rest of the cast or the plot; even if it may seem to be going back to the sci-fi aspect. It looks nice but it's pretty boring.

Hataraku Maou-sama - Loved all the way up to episode 6 but after sitting back and thinking for a while, it's feeling a bit too much of a rom-com despite it's good execution. There's lot of waifu battling based on that show even though neither are particularly stellar. I'll probably stick with it though.

Yuyushiki - Despite some too heavy-handed yuriness to the show, I pretty much love this. Nothing happens but the way the three main leads bounce off each other is just fun to watch.

Muromi - I've fallen behind at ep 2 but what I've seen I've enjoyed and goddamn if I'm not addicted to that OP.

Also, to not let the matter die, what is Mad Pierrot's fetish?

Edit: Oh top of the page, I await judgment.

Jex

I think now would be a good time to do an evaluation of the season, since we're halfway through it. Hopefully others also take part in this so we can get a feel on what everyone is still watching and how they feel about the shows. Basically, list the shows you're still watching (not the ones you already dropped), and talk a little about how you feel about the 6-7 episodes which have aired so far.

Rating different forms of entertainment against each other is really arbitrary and weird in most situations because of how tricky it can be to compare the pleasure one receives from an work with some artistic purpose compared to something which is simply trying to tickle the part of your brain that enjoys, say, comedy. Don't even get me started on evaluating one persons enjoyment of a work vs another's, that's a serious can of worms! With all that in mind, lets proceed to rank this seasons shows best to worst:

Aku No Hana / The Flowers of Evil

This is easily the boldest and most impressive series of the season. Nagahama has taken what was already be a fairly unconventional story and brought to us a work that's essentially unique within the medium of animation. Anyone familiar with the medium knows that pretty much every work within it is some variation on a well trodden genre which ensures that most shows end up being marginally tweaked versions of a previous series. Aku no Hana is much closer to a work of literature that's essentially free from the overriding shackles of genre storytelling and is free to go down it's own path.

Of course, it's not just traditional storytelling that Aku no Hana eschews, Nagahama took the unprecedented step of deciding to shoot in live action and then rotoscope the animation over the footage. While this technique has left a bit to be desired (the less said about episode one the better) it's impossible to deny how well this gamble has played out. The down to earth, grounded and realistic nature of the characters are is complement by the rotoscoping which captures the naturalistic movement and motions of human beings allowing the characters to display a physicality which makes them feel more real and alive. The way this plays out is very strange because the rotoscoping's artificiality is extremely noticeable yet at the same time it's more realistic than the kind of extremely jerky and limited animation that plagues an number of shows.

None of this stuff would matter if the show itself wasn't well produced and well directed on an episode by episode basis. Miraculously the series has managed to stay consistently strong throughout the first half of it's run and, if anything, episode seven may well be my favourite episode of the show so far. I have nothing but good things to say about the backround art, the script, the audio...the list goes on.

Gargantia

It's far harder for me to shot from the rooftops with joy with regards to Gargantia because I've found that my overall appreciation for the show has diminished somewhat in recent weeks, despite how consistently attractive and well made the series is.

I was most enamoured with the series when it was solely dedicated to examining the cultural conflict that arose when you inserted one foreign person with very unusual technology into a society that had no way of handling him. The series, however, was not content with being an Aria or Haibane Renmeiesque tale about characters who live in an interesting setting. Instead it turned it's focus to silly pirates, silly fanservice or difficult to swallow drama.

I really appreciate science fiction when it's used to explore something, such as the clash of cultures. I can only hope that is had some intention of keeping an eye to this aspect of the story. At the same, I won't be best pleased if it plays on the above issues in a very predictable ways, as recent developments have suggested it might. There's a number of very trite ways that they can resolve the series by paying lipservice to the ideas discussed above without actually doing anything interesting with them. I can only hope that the writing will eventually find a way to live up to the visuals so that they could be equal partners in presenting the story.

Attack on Titan

This is another series that I have difficulty expressing my feelings on. On one hand, I'm undeniably hooked on the story and I've been compelled to tune in every week to see where it's heading and I genuinely enjoy the series on that rabid "I need next week's episode now" level. However, once I take a look past the always-startling plot developments and impressive action animation there's a lot to be desired. However, it's hard to see the (sometimes) glaring faults in the production when you're really wrapped up with the story. The only way to stop the 'hype' from adversely affecting my ability to criticise this show is to watch each episode twice, so that the 'magic' has worn off by the time I get to the rewatch.

Outside of a the action scenes and a few other moments (for example Mikasa's flashback in episode 7) there aren't many scenes that actually move me from a directorial stand point. Beyond that there's problems with the art, animation, editing, layout, music etc etc.

Valvrave

Easily the dark horse show of the the season, Valvrave has moved from something of a minor amusement to one of the most entertaining and amusing show of the season. I'm not talking about 'ironic' enjoyment for this series. I legitimately think it's a good series, despite, or perhaps because of the ridiculousness of the concept and how brazenly it's executed. It revels in it's lunacy and it's completely in on the joke.

I think we can all face up to the fact that this is one of the most enjoyable and entertaining shows of the season and that that is awesome.

Muromi-san

I'm starting to get a little tired of this shows sense of humour. The first few episodes were pretty punchy bit it appears to have slowed down quite a bit since then.

Azazel-san 2

This disappointment speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom