• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I love Strike Witches to death so it certainly isn't that.
In Strike Witches you aren't looking at the head much. In Asobi ni Iku yo they put a lot of work into the ears, but then they are made redundant as everything else matches a normal human head to your brain. After a while it just gets tuned out.

In Strike Witches you aren't looking at the head much. In Asobi ni Iku yo they put a lot of work into the ears then make them redundant as everything else matches a normal human head to your brain and so after a while it gets tuned out.

You're certainly thinking about why I've grown accustomed to something more than I am!

Syrinx

I'm not sure watching anything this season. Just catching up on a lot of stuff. I may try Gargantia, Aku No Hana, others if people say they end well. And Valvrave, if it becomes one of "those" shows. Maybe Hataraku-Maou Sama, but the perpetual teamemi vs. teamchiho vs. teamwhoeverelsethereis stuff is turning me off of that more than anything.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, I think Futari wa's combat is more of a mixed bag. It had a lot of battles that were more freeform in their design and execution than modern Precure, and so I enjoyed a lot of the combat in spite of the QUALITY. It's just that, like you say, Toei's stupidity in creating a magical girl series with an emphasis on hand-to-hand combat and then loading fights with poorly-animated, exaggerated, and just generally clownish acrobatics so that they wouldn't have to actually create or animate real battle choreography is what ruins things. Kids can't tell the difference etc etc.

I think what bothered me the most is how they kept spamming Marble Screw over and over, and sometimes the attack didn't work, but they put more HEART into it and suddenly it was enough to destroy the bad guy. This concept always seems silly in anime for some reason.

I love Strike Witches to death so it certainly isn't that.

Hito aint down wit dat 4 eared life.
Myself, I don't really notice it too much. Cat ears are cat ears, whether headband or grown naturally or genetically mutated. they make me hnng. they are an agent of Cute.

I think what bothered me the most is how they kept spamming Marble Screw over and over, and sometimes the attack didn't work, but they put more HEART into it and suddenly it was enough to destroy the bad guy. This concept always seems silly in anime for some reason.

They'd be perfect for VGCW, stream monsters love wrestlers with ALL DAT HEART

I'm not sure watching anything this season. Just catching up on a lot of stuff. I may try Gargantia, Aku No Hana, others if people say they end well. And Valvrave, if it becomes one of "those" shows. Maybe Hataraku-Maou Sama, but the perpetual teamemi vs. teamchiho vs. teamwhoeverelsethereis stuff is turning me off of that more than anything.

Just watch Muromi-san.

Isn't it hinted at that the little fox continues on living even if Makoto herself doesn't come back. I still have a secret liking of Kanon '06 despite not being enjoying Makoto or Ayu's characters all that much. Also Kanon Milf > Clannad Milf
Its just that the other situations
had a happy ending already(Mai) or were fixed by Ayu in the end. why didn't her wish to keep Yuichi happy affect Makoto like it did Shiori & Akiko
at least Ayu was much more likeable than Nagisa imo.
LOL I agree.

Photo Kano was created by the same people who actually made Amagami.

The anime itself follows a much lesser, but similar pattern like Amagami

Ep 1-4 - Common Route, an introduction of sorts

Ep 5-6 - Niimi Route

And after Episode 7, the rest seem to be split into 1 episode each for the remaining girls.
Thanks.

Articalys

I'll be excited for it. Someone else already stole the seiyuu joke I was going to make though.
Since no one posted it earlier while I was watching Valvrave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dIJvZ5UVw4o

noitaminA had a teaser today for their 2013 Line-up Conference on June 5. They'll be announcing the second Summer series, as well as both Fall series for the timeslot, and both Fall shows will be original shows - not adaptations. Looks like they really took their time with it, but noitaminA could be back!
I'll be excited for this too.

-----------------------------------------

JP BD announcement: the yuri show that a lot more people actually liked, Aoi Hana (Sweet Blue Flowers), is getting a Blu-ray box set in early September for 17,000 yen.

Smile Precure 37

I'm not sure what caused the change, but I'm feeling more judgmental on these episodes, probably because I'm approaching the end of both this series and nearly every Precure series sans GoGo and DokiDoki.

2ZDRD.jpg
2ZF5q.jpg

This episode is for the battle of Student Council President, which Reika didn't want to take part of until the Bad End folks decide to run for SC President in human forms. For starters, again pointing out how stupid they are, because the Alias's given to the bad guys (ESPECIALLY MAJORINA who was basically Majo Rina :/) pointed out how everyone was stupid even Reika. The second image is also quite important for me to post, because I feel as if Reika, while the most competent character of the cast, is also the weakest link of this group. Most of the time, her personality isn't too interesting, although Nao and Akane themselves are pretty similar with some key differences, which don't display themselves quite often but eh, they're made for each other anyway. Of course, every Cure group needs the boring character of the bunch, whether it is due to their personality or how they do not garner enough spotlight time to make them even more interesting because the main character is a hog (franchise wide complaint).

In regards to that though, sometimes the "boring" character is still compelling at least. Even if it shows that they're more "perfect" than the main lead, you can still make them somewhat interesting (fuck you Shiny Luminous.) But anyway, I expect to die next episode.

On top of that, this episode clearly exposes on how doing the right thing doesn't mean it's worthwhile to people (because they're probably idiots), and it feels so well timed in regards to the Xbox One crap going on.

Black Jack - 1

0.jpg

I find it mind boggling that this show gets almost no discussion anywhere. I know it's very old (almost 9 years now and the manga is even older) but I feel that this show deserves a rewatch from me on here so let's dive right in!

In this episode, he charges the mother and the Senator 10 million yen (around 98 thousand USD) to treat their injuries on a boat after one Acme Wild Cat went loose on it and he treats the cat first because it's injury was the most severe and it was an endangered species.

What really sets the tone of this show is the fact that the only thing this guy has is his skills with a scalpel and his medical knowledge. It's good for creating good "how's he gonna get out of this one?" situations. Even if the situations later on can be a bit questionable (to a medical student anyway), but this is Osamu Tezuka people!

His sidekick can be a little annoying, but with all the moe that I see in anime today, I'm grateful that Tezuka didn't go that route.

But this is just the first episode to introduce his character. There are many episodes in this show each with it's own unique story, and I'm gonna do my best to cover all of them.

xRoE5FH.jpg

My dislike for Yota manages to increase even more

Naruto Shippuden 314

Why does this have to be a 3 parter?

If it wasn't for the appearances of the younger Konoha 12, I'd honestly nominate these past two episodes as the worst Naruto filler ever.

Jex

Black Jack - 1

0.jpg

I find it mind boggling that this show gets almost no discussion anywhere. I know it's very old (almost 9 years now and the manga is even older) but I feel that this show deserves a rewatch from me on here so let's dive right in!
Black Jack is a bit of a weird one. Despite the size of the franchise the number of adaptations it's never been something that's every really caught on in America. If people are familiar with it in anime form it's generally with regards to the Dezaki OVA works, not the series.

If I'm going to be slightly reductive I'd have to guess that the biggest barrier for most people in the character designs, then the concept (how can the story of a travelling doctor be interesting), and finally couple that with the very cheap look of the series and it's not surprising that people steered clear of it. I also imagine that some people don't like how rightly episodic it is. I don't think those are good reasons to stay away from the show, because I enjoyed the parts of it that I watched, but I can see why others wouldn't want to dive in. It's a shame because that means most people will never experience how much of a boss Black Jack is. He's like the Duke Tolgo of medicine.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aku No Hana: The ugliest, but the bestest.
Chihayafuru 2: It's like crack. Addictive, but not good for your health.
Dokidoki! Precure: I don't see how anyone but Precure fans would like this.
Muromi-san: This would be best this season if it weren't yet another comedy where shouting = laughs, apparently.
OreImo 2: Hatewatch material.
Attack On Titan: This would probably be a lot more enjoyable for me if people hadn't spoiled it back and forth. Regardless, it remains entertaining despite the cheapness.
Gargantia: Very good. Some weird directorial choices, but it's an engaging sci-fi story the likes we don't see much in this medium anymore.
Space Brothers: The current arc suffers from a lot meandering, but the strength of the characters carries it through.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I legit can't understand people who aren't watching Maou-sama. D:
I stopped because it was starting to get boring, and the formula it had fallen into was kind of tiring. I wish the characters were better and it wasn't as serious at times.

If I'm going to be slightly reductive I'd have to guess that the biggest barrier for most people in the character designs, then the concept (how can the story of a travelling doctor be interesting), and finally couple that with the very cheap look of the series and it's not surprising that people steered clear of it. I also imagine that some people don't like how rightly episodic it is. I don't think those are good reasons to stay away from the show, because I enjoyed the parts of it that I watched, but I can see why others wouldn't want to dive in. It's a shame because that means most people will never experience how much of a boss Black Jack is. He's like the Duke Tolgo of medicine.

I can agree with the character design reasons. Tezuka seems to recycle designs for his characters quite often. IIRC there was this one hunter dude in one episode and five episodes later the exact same design of that character was put in different clothing was called a new character. It's a shame too, because there are really good episodic stories in this show. This is mainly the reason why I'm going over it again and posting my thoughts here.

cajunator

Banned
Guess Ill give it a half-assed shot

Gargantia - Team Amy for life. Love love love love the artwork. the setting is super awesome. the mech designs are ehhh. Ledo is cool. Amy's dancing in hnnngh. Best show of the season.
Chihayafuru 2- One of my favoritest shows ever. *hugs it
Henneko - Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee GODLIKE show.
Hataraku Maou sama - Team Chiho. This show ceaselessly entertains. Great premise, great execution. Funny as hell.
Space Bros - Still good after all these episodes. Kind of lost its luster though.
Yuyushiki - This seasons best cute girls doing pointlessly cute things show.
Muromi-san - Excel saga with mermaids. Hilarious. Pleasant surprise.
Aku No Hana - This show gives off the weirdest vibes but I dig it. Cant really explain it.
Oreimo 2 - squeeee. Not enough Kuroneko though.
Aiura - This show is adorable but waaaaay too short. You see the OP, blink a couple times, and it ends. wtf? The title card thing kills my heart every single time.
Attack On Titan - Its alright. Not really pleasant to look at but its well executed. Started off very strong though.

Jex

Patlabor 2: The Movie
Now this is an Oshii film, even more than the first movie was. The light-hearted comedy that still showed up some in the first film is practically gone, the regular series cast is almost entirely sidelined aside from Gotoh and Nagumo, and there's barely anything that could be called action and even less Patlabors. Instead, we have an extremely meditative, deliberately paced film, filled with cityscapes, long philosophical monologues/dialogues about the nature of Tokyo and war, brooding atmospheric music, a bit of bewailing the state of modern youth, a basset hound, and birds, birds everywhere[...]

While I would agree with your assertion that Patlabor 2 is more of a traditional 'modern Oshii' work than Patlabor 1 I don't think it's necessarily write to restrict Oshii to a single mode. The wacky comedy Oshii is just as legitimately Oshii as his more serious works, it's just happens to be that as time has passed he's steered more towards the serious and reflective than the comical.

Jex

I can agree with the character design reasons. Tezuka seems to recycle designs for his characters quite often. IIRC there was this one hunter dude in one episode and five episodes later the exact same design of that character was put in different clothing was called a new character. It's a shame too, because there are really good episodic stories in this show. This is mainly the reason why I'm going over it again and posting my thoughts here.

It's not really design recycling in the traditional sense. Tezuka had what's known as a 'Star System' where he used a stable of actors (designs) who he cast in a variety of different roles in a variety of different roles. You can read more about it here.

Guess Ill give it a half-assed shot

Gargantia - Team Amy for life. Love love love love the artwork. the setting is super awesome. the mech designs are ehhh. Ledo is cool. Amy's dancing in hnnngh. Best show of the season.
Chihayafuru 2- One of my favoritest shows ever. *hugs it
Hataraku Maou sama - Team Chiho. This show ceaselessly entertains. Great premise, great execution. Funny as hell.
Space Bros - Still good after all these episodes. Kind of lost its luster though.
Yuyushiki - This seasons best cute girls doing pointlessly cute things show.
Muromi-san - Excel saga with mermaids. Hilarious. Pleasant surprise.
Aku No Hana - This show gives off the weirdest vibes but I dig it. Cant really explain it.
Oreimo 2 - squeeee. Not enough Kuroneko though.
Aiura - This show is adorable but waaaaay too short. You see the OP, blink a couple times, and it ends. wtf? The title card thing kills my heart every single time.
Attack On Titan - Its alright. Not really pleasant to look at but its well executed. Started off very strong though.

Cajun isn't watching Henneko?

ij6s4xkKPFgbk.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
In order from most to least-liked, I guess.

Attack on Titan - I know that it's riddled with flaws but I'm riding this crazy train all the way to the fucking stars, baby.

Valvrave the Liberator - The successor to Code Geass. I'm so humbled to be able to watch a future LIST show unfold as it happens.

Yuyushiki - It's colorful, it's energetic, it scratches my itch for inane conversation.

Jewelpet Happiness - Pushing the comedy boundaries of plastic shit shows for little girls. It has real heart and wit in spite of looking like it was animated on a Leapster tablet.

Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san - I like the OP more than anything in the actual show. Even so, it's decently funny, and the good animation manages to carry the show even when it's not funny.

Suisei no Gargantia - I really wish that this was double its length so that there would be more laidback episodes, more ways to grow Ledo as a character, and more world-building; as it stands it's going to leave a lot of its potential unfulfilled by transitioning back into serious business so quickly. My opinion of the show dropped after having two fanservice-heavy episodes in a row after seemingly having established itself as a serious work, but under the flaws it's a competent exploration of two binary concepts of society and pretty damned gorgeous, garbage CG aside.

You know, I just realized that I'm enjoying everything on this list, simply to varying extents. I already dropped everything that I disliked.

Considering you have a season where everyone is shippable with each other and the yuriness is cranked up quite a bit, I find it hard to muster hate for it.

Doesn't mean I can't call it out for its lack of quality. I just hope they don't pull that crap that happened in Smile Precure 36.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom